Bench-press Earth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

abhilegend
So, this is KMC high-herald list.

http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/10300/SM_13_1edit.jpg
http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/10300/SM_13_2.jpg
http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/10300/SM_13_4.jpg

Who among these heralds can bench press a weight equal to earth for 5 days straight while losing energy constantly? They can amp their strength but ONLY what its shown to be in their actual feats. Let's go.

Juntai
And barely breaking a sweat, lol.

Philosophía
None of them showed anything even close to this.

This is a legitimate Silver Age feat, of which no other high-herald from either company has approached.

Sin I AM
That's not an accurate list

But to answer u, everyone can

abhilegend
Originally posted by Sin I AM
That's not an accurate list

But to answer u, everyone can
hysterical

-Pr-
Any reason why I should keep this open?

abhilegend
^Newjak told me to open a new thread, so I did.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by -Pr-
Any reason why I should keep this open?

To watch the incoming storm.

-Pr-
Originally posted by abhilegend
^Newjak told me to open a new thread, so I did.

And it's already descending...

pym-ftw
From the short list you gave

Thor
Void
Eradicatior

I'd also say Immortal Hercules could aswell

abhilegend
And it's already descending...
Not my fault.

Newjak
Originally posted by Newjak

That being said this isn't a place to argue over scans this is a character ownage thread, obviously Superman was doing some serious ownage in that scan. Talk about the ownage and move on to the next. If you want to debate the implications of that scan in a vs fight do it in a thread for it like Hulk vs Superman or Captain Marvel vs Superman or Thor vs Superman.

Thank you

I will not get into a debate with you in this thread Abhi. You've already been told before to cut it out and stop clogging the thread. If you wish to continue please by all means we can take this to another thread. I never said MAKE another thread, I said TAKE it to another thread.

-Pr-
Not my fault.

You made the thread, so yeah, it kind of is.

abhilegend
I never said MAKE another thread, I said TAKE it to another thread.
Ok. Let's talk here.

JakeTheBank
laughing out loud

You could always discuss it in the Superman forum.

abhilegend
You made the thread, so yeah, it kind of is.
laughing out loud
That's not fair. I didn't intend it to fall this in chaos, my sole purpose was to debate with newjak.

Jynocidus
Sentry

JakeTheBank
No high herald has displayed quantifiable feats to be able to do what Superman did per that one feat.

Bouboumaster
Thor, Immprtal Hercules, and Hulk (After 5 days, he would lift twice that much. Because he's the Hulk.)

The Sorrow
I think there are several high heralds who could probably bench the weight, but that list would grow a lot shorter if they tried to do it for 5 days. This is probably the best and most clean strength feat I've seen in a long time though.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Thor, Immprtal Hercules, and Hulk (After 5 days, he would lift twice that much. Because he's the Hulk.)
Thor: NO
Hercules: BIGGER NO
Hulk: No hulk under HH can do this.

Bouboumaster
Thor: NO
Hercules: BIGGER NO
Hulk: No hulk under HH can do this.

Hulk would do it, and do it better. And you know why? Because he's the strongest one there is. cool
You can't argue with that.

Also, Thor and Hercules would do it. Hercules lifted the sky, so, there's that.

JakeTheBank
This feat is almost Captain America level.

Starscream M
No one on marvel earth is even remotely capable of lifting earth

hulk is the only one who may have a chance, depending on how mad he is able to get

anyone who says otherwise is either ignorant or lying (or both)

abhilegend
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Hulk would do it, and do it better. And you know why? Because he's the strongest one there is. cool
You can't argue with that.

Also, Thor and Hercules would do it. Hercules lifted the sky, so, there's that.
Hulk's strength is dynamic, he can replicate any strength feat. He wouldn't be in HH tier at that level though. Unquantifiable feats aren't being used here or do you think post crisis superman would oneshot thanos? He has lifted infinity twice and thanos hasn't.

pym-ftw
Originally posted by Starscream M

hulk is the only one who may have a chance, depending on how mad he is able to get

Ok Kettle

-Pr-

Don't pretend you know what you're talking about.

Some of them could move/lift the Earth under the right conditions.

Maybe not for five days, but still.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Meh, Hulk under Pak would replicate that shit with his butt cheeks.

Didn't Beta Ray Bill and Gladiator move a planet (Not some dead rock, but an actual planet, that was inhabited and Earth like) across to the other side of a Star? That distance is immense and requires a lot more force than needed to bench press the Earth for 5 days, no?

Starscream M

Some of them could move/lift the Earth under the right conditions.

really like who?

Marvel operates on a much lower strength level in recent years

Sentry struggled with a helicarrier (and yes, while it was a lowfeat, it is indicative of how marvel views the strength of its herald class)

-Pr-
really like who?

Marvel operates on a much lower strength level in recent years

Sentry struggled with a helicarrier (and yes, while it was a lowfeat, it is indicative of how marvel views the strength of its herald class)

Thor, Hulk, Hercules maybe.

No, it really doesn't, as it was a low feat, and not indicative of even Sentry's average, and he was more inconsistent than most.

Philosophía
Thor or Hercules definitely can't move the Earth. Superman from pre-Flashpoint is borderline mover, and they're weaker.

Hulk, in his Pak-mode at the end can, though. He went out of the high-herald tier, though.

Uriel005
Red hulk under Loeb. But not with the ease over 5 days and a single bead of sweat... 1, uno, ichi, d'aya, wāḥid, aẖat etc. etc.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus

Didn't Beta Ray Bill and Gladiator move a planet (Not some dead rock, but an actual planet, that was inhabited and Earth like) across to the other side of a Star? That distance is immense and requires a lot more force than needed to bench press the Earth for 5 days, no?
Gammafather isn't a HH.durhulk

It was gladiator, quasar and ronan. SS and BRB did that to another planet. Post crisis superman did that to earth+moon+a BIG ship and moved it from another star system to this via hyperspace.

Starscream M
Thor, Hulk, Hercules maybe.
what in hell has thor done to make you think he can move earth? please give me ONE, just ONE, feat in the past decade

JakeTheBank
lol I will say I love how Carver saw the scan, got pissed, and vanished.

JakeTheBank
what in hell has thor done to make you think he can move earth? please give me ONE, just ONE, feat in the past decade

Did you get beat up by a Norseman once?

'cause this vendetta you have against Thor is quite sad.

Philosophía
Marvel has, consistently and mirroring DC, always showed at least 2 people as necessary in order to move celestial objects, be they moons or planets.

Uriel005
Oh wait. Atlas of the titans. He's been at it for a while.

-Pr-

Well, aren't you demanding? And picky to boot.

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
lol I will say I love how Carver saw the scan, got pissed, and vanished.

lol inorite?

Starscream M
Well, aren't you demanding? And picky to boot.

lol inorite? lol so I guess there is no feat

Starscream M
Did you get beat up by a Norseman once?

'cause this vendetta you have against Thor is quite sad. vendetta? just cuz Im trying to clear up a misconception?

thor is one of my top 3 fav characters in marvel, and one of the coolest character concepts in comics. just cuz I dont irrationally wank him does not mean i have a vendetta

-Pr-
lol so I guess there is no feat

lol, why are you so butthurt when it comes to Thor? Seriously.

Sure there are; they just don't all fall in to your picky little category.

vendetta? just cuz Im trying to clear up a misconception?

thor is one of my top 3 fav characters in marvel, and one of the coolest character concepts in comics. just cuz I dont irrationally wank him does not mean i have a vendetta

lol, that's a bold-faced lie.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Gammafather isn't a HH.durhulk

It was gladiator, quasar and ronan. SS and BRB did that to another planet. Post crisis superman did that to earth+moon+a BIG ship and moved it from another star system to this via hyperspace.

It's true bro. Hulk at his base or close to it is an elite class 100 on par with Thor, Superman etc. at this point. He only gets stronger than them at this point.

Thanks. Someone do the math for me, how much force does moving an -Earth sized, at least imo- planet across million light years despite the gravity of a yellow class Star like our Sun take?

I think Pre-Flashpoint Superman's history with Celestial bodies is a bit more complicated than that. Hyperspace don't count bro.

pym-ftw
Or you could prove a depowering on Thor's part to show why old feats shouldn't be Canon.

JakeTheBank
lol so I guess there is no feat

Thor's not been placed in many situations where his raw physical might was tested in the form of lifting outside of the Asgard feat (which is really not all that much of a low end feat considering it's a magical city that Thor created from nothing) within past years. Currently, he's more about striking power, blasting power, and element/storm control.

Does that mean his strength feats don't count? No, that's borderline retarded. Especially considering how he fares against said peers consistently.

You getting mad about nothing and demanding feats doesn't change anything.

Starscream M
Originally posted by pym-ftw
Or you could prove a depowering on Thor's part to show why old feats shouldn't be Canon. common sense dictates that characters in marvel have undergone significant changes

marvel doesn't do reboots like dc...but that doesn't mean, feats that were written in a completely different era still are representative of what characters are capable of today

we can gauge a character's standing today based on what they have done in the past 10 years, which shouldn't be a problem

-Pr-
common sense dictates that characters in marvel have undergone significant changes

marvel doesn't do reboots like dc...but that doesn't mean, feats that were written in a completely different era still are representative of what characters are capable of today

we can gauge a character's standing today based on what they have done in the past 10 years, which shouldn't be a problem

And who decided on this arbitrary number?

JakeTheBank
vendetta? just cuz Im trying to clear up a misconception?

No, you're being butthurt about Thor, per usual. And if it's not about Thor, it's somehow Thor related, and generally, it's born of ignorance.

For Thor being one of your top three favorite characters, you display an incredible level of lack of knowledge concerning him. No one says you need to read or own all of his appearances, but you would think that if knowledgeable posters cite and post feats for you, you'd take those into consideration instead of trying to lowball and demean said feats of one of your "favorites".

At this point, it's one of the KMC "schticks", much like Carver marking out for anything Hulk, Quan riding Thanos, Abhi getting Superdefensive, me praising Doom, etc.

Starscream M
lol, why are you so butthurt when it comes to Thor? Seriously.

Sure there are; they just don't all fall in to your picky little category.

Im not butthurt about thor...he's a popular marvel character, so i'd rather discuss him than say, gladiator or herc, who I could use to make similar points

how is my category picky? I'm asking for ONE, just ONE strength feat in the past TEN years...is that really asking for so much?

abhilegend
It's true bro. Hulk at his base or close to it is an elite class 100 on par with Thor, Superman etc. at this point. He only gets stronger than them at this point.

Thanks. Someone do the math for me, how much force does moving an -Earth sized, at least imo- planet across million light years despite the gravity of a yellow class Star like our Sun take?

I think Pre-Flashpoint Superman's history with Celestial bodies is a bit more complicated than that. Hyperspace don't count bro.
I know bro. I actually read hulk comics.

It was done off panel and nothing was shown, nothing to calculate.

One lesser feat doesn't makes a higher feat vanish. Hyperspace doesn't decreases distance, so it counts perfectly.

Starscream M
And who decided on this arbitrary number? because its reasonable to assume a popular character to have some feats within a ten year span, no?

JakeTheBank
common sense dictates that characters in marvel have undergone significant changes

You'd have a point if Marvel didn't reference those stories and eras on a regular basis and if Marvel didn't make a great deal of all their characters more powerful currently than when they were conceived in the 60's/70's.

-Pr-
Im not butthurt about thor...he's a popular marvel character, so i'd rather discuss him than say, gladiator or herc, who I could use to make similar points

how is my category picky? I'm asking for ONE, just ONE strength feat in the past TEN years...is that really asking for so much?

Your posts say different.

Why ten years? Why not twenty? Or twenty-five?

Starscream M
No one says you need to read or own all of his appearances, but you would think that if knowledgeable posters cite and post feats for you, you'd take those into consideration instead of trying to lowball and demean said feats of one of your "favorites".
jake, I asked for one strength feat of thor in the past 10 years and I've gotten nothing, so don't give me bull that people have been posting feats for me

I just want ONE thor strength feat in the past TEN years...I really dont think thats unreasonable.

Martian_mind
So, Pr, hows that sig you promised me about two years back coming along?

-Pr-
because its reasonable to assume a popular character to have some feats within a ten year span, no?

Except that up until the reboot, DC characters had 25 years.

So why does marvel only get 10?

jake, I asked for one strength feat of thor in the past 10 years and I've gotten nothing, so don't give me bull that people have been posting feats for me

I just want ONE thor strength feat in the past TEN years...I really dont think thats unreasonable.

people have actually posted them in other threads.

Originally posted by Martian_mind
So, Pr, hows that sig you promised me about two years back coming along?

the one I pm'd you about and never got a response about?

Starscream M
Your posts say different.

Why ten years? Why not twenty? Or twenty-five? because ten is long enough, and still current

also, why not 10?

thor isn't some obscure characters with few showings...asking for one feat in 10 years shouldn't be a problem really

Martian_mind

the one I pm'd you about and never got a response about?

I remember this not.

Apologies sir. Also, you moved to Canada, yes?

-Pr-
because ten is long enough, and still current

also, why not 10?

thor isn't some obscure characters with few showings...asking for one feat in 10 years shouldn't be a problem really

because you were shown good feats in other threads, stuck your fingers in your ears and pretended they didn't exist.

because dc gets access to 25, is why.

I remember this not.

Apologies sir. Also, you moved to Canada, yes?

I'm here right now, yeah. Trying to get my stay sorted.

It was a sig from one of those less read comics. something with a sword iirc.

Martian_mind

I'm here right now, yeah. Trying to get my stay sorted.

It was a sig from one of those less read comics. something with a sword iirc.

I have no idea man, and I couldn't get rid of this one now, it's basically become like a fourth leg.

But anyway, thinking of moving out that way. How is it?

pym-ftw
The lack of tactile telekinesis in marvel kind of eliminates this feat being replicated, I guess Colossus could do one set and hold it up indefinitely

-Pr-
I have no idea man, and I couldn't get rid of this one now, it's basically become like a fourth leg.

But anyway, thinking of moving out that way. How is it?

laughing out loud

I like it. It's very different from Ireland, so the culture shock was pretty bad, but there are jobs and i can afford to live away from my parents, so it has its advantages.

JakeTheBank

I was talking about in general when it comes to Thor's feats. The whole Bor/Odinforce Thor as compared to Classic/Current Thor fiasco and "magic rain" incidents come to mind.

And I already told you, too. As far as pure strength feats go, Thor's not really displayed anything lifting wise outside of Asgard within the past ten years. He's just not been written in that manner requiring to do so. But that doesn't mean his previous displays of strength no longer count, especially when said feats are canon.

Thor hasn't been forced to deal without Mjolnir for an extended period of time since he died during Ragnarok. Doesn't mean he can't invoke weather powers without them and perform a Durok Dropper.

If you want to arbitrarily decide in your mind that "Thor hasn't displayed a sufficient strength feat in ten years, ergo he's now weaker than he was in the 60's/70's/80's/90's", while incredibly stupid, that's certainly your prerogative.

Martian_mind
laughing out loud

I like it. It's very different from Ireland, so the culture shock was pretty bad, but there are jobs and i can afford to live away from my parents, so it has its advantages.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

And I maintain my stance that Jonn takes Supes BTW. This changes nothing.

-Pr-
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

And I maintain my stance that Jonn takes Supes BTW. This changes nothing.

You aussies. Your toilets flush in the wrong direction and now this!

I grew to love it though, tbh. Good people, decent nightlife, and all you have to trade off is very little rain and a ****ton of snow.

Mindship
H'm. Let's see if we can convert this into numbers (been a long time since I've done something like this)...

If one googles up, "moving the earth" in joules, the most common figures range from roughly 4x10e24 to 3x10e33 joules. Let's go with the lower figure first because I first worked out the higher figure...and the result, imo, really challenges the suspension of disbelief.

Okay. The scans do not indicate that benchpressing was done at greater than "typical benching speed" (ie, no superspeed), so let's assume 2-seconds per rep: 1 sec pressing up, 1 sec lowering the weight.

Accordingly, with very broad estimations, Superman expended (minimally) 4x10e24 joules for one, 2-second rep. He was benching for 5 days: that's over 400,000 seconds, or more than 200,000 reps.

2x10e5 times 4x10e24 = 8x10e29: let's round this to 10e30 joules, this expended over 5 days of benching 1 Earth Weight Equivalent (1 EWE). Plus (we're not done yet), the task was not taxing for him, not at all. So let's say (entirely arbitrary) Superman was using 1/10 his strength for this feat. So maybe he was really capable of expending, roughly, 10e31 joules over these 5 days if he really had to.

So what we can now ask is: who else is capable of generating this level of power? This is roughly equivalent to what our entire Sun puts out in about 6.5 hours.

But wait: things get Really interesting if we go with the higher figure: 3x10e33 joules. Over 5 days of benching, this works out to the entire yearly energy output of our Sun -- about 10e34 joules -- over 700,000 years (which raises the interesting question of how Superman could've absorbed so much solar energy when exposed to only a tiny fraction of the Sun's output -- ie, what only his skin's surface area could capture -- for less than 80 years...but that's comic physics for ya, and why it might be better to go with the first estimation).

Sin I AM
Captain Marvel can

h1a8

Didn't Beta Ray Bill and Gladiator move a planet (Not some dead rock, but an actual planet, that was inhabited and Earth like) across to the other side of a Star? That distance is immense and requires a lot more force than needed to bench press the Earth for 5 days, no? when was this, any scans?

Blair Wind
So, this is KMC high-herald list.

http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/10300/SM_13_1edit.jpg
http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/10300/SM_13_2.jpg
http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/10300/SM_13_4.jpg

Who among these heralds can bench press a weight equal to earth for 5 days straight while losing energy constantly? They can amp their strength but ONLY what its shown to be in their actual feats. Let's go.

I defy your list and raise you Duplicate Boy (LOSH universe)

Kid Kurdy
Talk about being absurdly, illogically and ridiculously overpowered. This is the reason why most comics are not being taken seriously.

h1a8

I will, just provide me with the scans or at least issue numbers.

Also for Pr and Starscream it is my opinion that older feats do hold weight, just not as much weight as newer feats (since current characters are usually discussed). I would say feats in the last 10 years should hold more than double than feats over 20 years ago.

abhilegend
Captain Marvel can
Nope.Originally posted by h1a8
when was this, any scans?
Off panel, no details given.Originally posted by Blair Wind
I defy your list and raise you Duplicate Boy (LOSH universe)
I know my LOSH. Val would do this shit with his pinky.

Sin I AM
Nope.
Off panel, no details given.
I know my LOSH. Val would do this shit with his pinky.

Ok abhi who do u think can

abhilegend
Ok abhi who do u think can
Karate kid obviously.

Sin I AM
Karate kid obviously.

Thanks Carver

abhilegend
Thanks Carver
That uppercut still affecting you?

carver9
Thanks Carver

I have touched someone heart. Bringing up my name when I didn't even post not once in this thread. Private message me them digits.

Sin I AM
That uppercut still affecting you?

Naw your trolling, obvious bait thread etc...

abhilegend
Naw your trolling, obvious bait thread etc...
Blame newjak for confusing me and making me create this monstrosity. I asked because you are confusing Abhilegend to Carver9.

quanchi112
Naw your trolling, obvious bait thread etc... thumb up He rminds me a lot of Phil his white knight.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by carver9
I have touched someone heart. Bringing up my name when I didn't even post not once in this thread. Private message me them digits.

I lol'd

Galan007
Originally posted by quanchi112
thumb up He rminds me a lot of Phil his white knight. eek!

JakeTheBank
I lol'd

Digi
We used to have a name for threads like these. It would have been closed very quickly.

More than anything, though, it saddens me that the respect forum has failed so utterly. If someone really cares enough about the relationship between characters' feats, they have all the tools available to do adequate research and come to a conclusion removed from interpersonal politics.

Instead, we have threads like this one that are essentially "here's a feat, come at me losers." If anyone thinks that it is presented otherwise, you really need to bone up on common etiquette, or be far more aware of the state of the forum. This isn't an opportunity for debate, it's middle school showmanship.

Obviously very few feats provide such exact circumstances and numbers, so it's almost a tautologically unmatchable feat. We've seen planets moved or destroyed numerous times by various characters. We've also seen every character at this level struggle with inexplicably lower-end stuff. The same will be true of this new Superman. Where you place the feats isn't an objective science, in what is perhaps the most subjective and variable ongoing artform. Disqualifying any opinion or poster as lying, delusional, ignorant, etc. is to ignore the vast range of interpretation and feats that any powerful comic character has. It's a disservice to rational discourse.

Comics like that ruin Superman. Fans like abhi ruin him on KMC for many. It's not the first or only occurrence of this on the forums. But it's always a shame. I'm not trying to be some moral compass, I'm just here on KMC enough for other reasons to be aware of it and disgusted by it.

carver9
Originally posted by Galan007
eek!

Galan, what are your thoughts on the Superman ft? Would you put it above Majestics capabilities?

carver9
Originally posted by Digi
We used to have a name for threads like these. It would have been closed very quickly.

More than anything, though, it saddens me that the respect forum has failed so utterly. If someone really cares enough about the relationship between characters' feats, they have all the tools available to do adequate research and come to a conclusion removed from interpersonal politics.

Instead, we have threads like this one that are essentially "here's a feat, come at me losers." If anyone thinks that it is presented otherwise, you really need to bone up on common etiquette, or be far more aware of the state of the forum. This isn't an opportunity for debate, it's middle school showmanship.

Obviously very few feats provide such exact circumstances and numbers, so it's almost a tautologically unmatchable feat. We've seen planets moved or destroyed numerous times by various characters. We've also seen every character at this level struggle with inexplicably lower-end stuff. The same will be true of this new Superman. Where you place the feats isn't an objective science, in what is perhaps the most subjective and variable ongoing artform. Disqualifying any opinion or poster as lying, delusional, ignorant, etc. is to ignore the vast range of interpretation and feats that any powerful comic character has. It's a disservice to rational discourse.

Comics like that ruin Superman. Fans like abhi ruin him on KMC for many. It's not the first or only occurrence of this on the forums. But it's always a shame. I'm not trying to be some moral compass, I'm just here on KMC enough for other reasons to be aware of it and disgusted by it.

Great post.

JakeTheBank

thumb up

Personally, I view it as a very impressive strength feat, which it is.

But I temper it with the fact that we're more than likely going to see Superman struggle physically in the future with an opponent or task and it's not going to be quantified as anything close to planetary. And we're also see another absurd feat from Superman that will become the "norm" for a few weeks until he does something far less impressive. And so and so on.

I mean, we're likely going to see Captain Marvel and Superman throw down. Does that mean that Cap is going to be operating close to planetary level strength? Or Superman was vastly holding back? If that feat is going to be the "norm", does that mean every other feat that doesn't display that level of strength count as PIS or something now?

It's why hanging onto a single feat, high or low, especially right after it comes out, is just an exercise in futility. It doesn't make sense.

Galan007

Comics like that ruin Superman. Fans like abhi ruin him on KMC for many. It's not the first or only occurrence of this on the forums. But it's always a shame. I'm not trying to be some moral compass, I'm just here on KMC enough for other reasons to be aware of it and disgusted by it. thumb up

Very well put.

Galan, what are your thoughts on the Superman ft? Would you put it above Majestics capabilities? Dunno. Maj moved planets around the solar system, and adjusted earth's axis, but he never sat there for several days bench pressing a weight equal to earth's.

Tbh, the single-feat-wanking in this thread is mind-boggling... Almost sickening.

MF DELPH

laughing

Cogito

Your kind has no place here. You can take your Superman-esque boyscout attitude elsewhere sneer

whistling1

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Galan007
thumb up

Very well put.

Dunno. Maj moved planets around the solar system, and adjusted earth's axis, but he never sat there for several days bench pressing a weight equal to earth's.

Tbh, the single-feat-wanking in this thread is mind-boggling... Almost sickening.

And if you don't wank this feat, apparently you have it in for Superman. ermm

Mindship
Obviously very few feats provide such exact circumstances and numbers, so it's almost a tautologically unmatchable feat. We've seen planets moved or destroyed numerous times by various characters. We've also seen every character at this level struggle with inexplicably lower-end stuff. The same will be true of this new Superman. Where you place the feats isn't an objective science, in what is perhaps the most subjective and variable ongoing artform. Disqualifying any opinion or poster as lying, delusional, ignorant, etc. is to ignore the vast range of interpretation and feats that any powerful comic character has. It's a disservice to rational discourse.One-upmanship has been a bane of comics for decades. What I don't know is if it's been largely fan-driven or just the writers going hog-wild.

carver9
The insane thing about this isn't just what he did, its him being weakened while doing it and while weakened, he was doing it with ease "for 5 freaking days". So what does that tell us about a full powered Superman? That if he got pissed to the point that he just didn't care anymore, he could grab Earth or any other planet and toss that sh** into the sun, with ease of course. That's worse than a weakened Hulk holding planet Sakaar together. I thought that ft was absurd but this ft piss all over it. Enjoyed the ft but DC needs to decide if this is an average for Superman.

srankmissingnin
Most of the big name high heralds have absurd physic defying strength feats that are near impossible to quantify that would in my estimations suggest they could replicate something like this... but outside of meeting a super scientist that happens to have a machine around that can replicate the exact weight of the earth for the sole purpose of measuring how much weight a character can lift, there isn't a lot of opportunities to bench press something that weighs the same as the earth does... or a lot of reasons to do it in the first place.

Did he do it for five days straight? Or has it been his exercise session for five days?

Cogito
Originally posted by Mindship
One-upmanship has been a bane of comics for decades. What I don't know is if it's been largely fan-driven or just the writers going hog-wild.

Don't worry, some Thor writers are working hard on the fine art of one-downsmanship.

Newjak
Originally posted by Cogito
Don't worry, some Thor writers are working hard on the fine art of one-downsmanship. laughing out loud

Thor Writer: Superman did what at DC? He benched what?! For HOW LONG?!!!

Well we just can't let this slide.

Marvel Editor: What are you going to do about it?

Thor Writer: I'm gonna have a little girl throw a pebble and knock Thor out, that should balance everything!

Philosophía
Comics like that ruin Superman. It would be a good thing to keep your opinions to yourself and not pass them on as facts.

Because then I wouldn't have to call you on them for being utterly moronic and full of butthurt.

quanchi112

Mindship
Originally posted by Cogito
Don't worry, some Thor writers are working hard on the fine art of one-downsmanship. In Marvel's early years, that was one of their hallmarks, imo: more "realistic," less over-the-top tonnage being tossed about.

But, tbh, what also makes this benching feat so impressive is not just the physical stats, but the artwork as well. Great style, set-up, scientific consideration and text. Overall, that first pic is just excellent.

Philosophía
Superman just pulled a feat that is the highlight of his career ever since the Pre-Crisis days.

Meanwhile, this happens at Marvel:
http://s3d2.turboimagehost.com/sp/6aec5034a86e6fffac4460b33d0c7465/Avengers_Assemble-Zone-017.jpg
http://s3d2.turboimagehost.com/sp/4c269aa9ad787d94917a9b33b0251645/Avengers_Assemble-Zone-018.jpg
http://s3d2.turboimagehost.com/sp/4eefe6a613b226585d33e872da3656db/Avengers_Assemble-Zone-019.jpg

Who is crying where, now?

KuRuPT Thanosi
and yet Superman has STRUGGLED WITH A SKYSCRAPER. How does this feat relate to his struggles with much smaller objects or similiar objects?

Philosophía
Welcome to comics.

I recommend you start with issue 1 of any superhero of your liking.

Starscream M
Superman has achieved his rightful place as the grand-daddy of all heralds

him being muddled as just another top herald did him injustice as the false equivocation made ppl think superman was in the same class as other heralds when in fact he leads that class

I do hope that the writers can deal with the issue of consistency...as with superman's latest feat, he should not struggle against significantly weaker enemies

Dampyre
LOL...we're right back to Pre-Crisis stupidity. If Superman can casually bench that much for five days then anything on Earth would be lighter than a feather to him. He should be able to pick up a mountain and toss it as if it wieghted nothing at all. A skyscraper should be less than a toothpick in terms of weight.

carver9

Bouboumaster
Hulk win

Starscream M
Originally posted by Dampyre
LOL...we're right back to Pre-Crisis stupidity. If Superman can casually bench that much for five days then anything on Earth would be lighter than a feather to him. He should be able to pick up a mountain and toss it as if it wieghted nothing at all. A skyscraper should be less than a toothpick in terms of weight. true..its up to the writers to maintain consistency, which I hope they do

or at least create some plot basis for why he isn't always as strong

but yeah, I see your point. by giving superman this feat, it will be very hard to bring him down to the levels of any other villain/hero in future plot lines

KuRuPT Thanosi

Philosophía
Originally posted by Dampyre
LOL...we're right back to Pre-Crisis stupidity. If Superman can casually bench that much for five days then anything on Earth would be lighter than a feather to him. He should be able to pick up a mountain and toss it as if it wieghted nothing at all. A skyscraper should be less than a toothpick in terms of weight. A skyscrapper or a mountain should have been a lightfeather ever since he moved the moon, or Earth, and contributed to about half for each of those feats, in the pre-DCnU Universe.

There is literally no difference between now and then - in both cases it should be effortless...

Wait, I have to stop.

Is that a tear I see?

KuRuPT Thanosi
Superman has achieved his rightful place as the grand-daddy of all heralds

him being muddled as just another top herald did him injustice as the false equivocation made ppl think superman was in the same class as other heralds when in fact he leads that class

I do hope that the writers can deal with the issue of consistency...as with superman's latest feat, he should not struggle against significantly weaker enemies

He was just one shot with ease in a prior superman comic. Which is my exact point... this feat is mixed in with all his lows and means very little. If he has feats like this and consistently beats most everybody using strength like this.. sure we can talk then.. Until then, he just got one shot KO'd with ease in a prior issue.

Starscream M
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
How do you bridge the gap then? Of him struggling with or not being able to handle smaller objects and yet do this? We don't throw out his struggles for his highs.. So then, how do we fit this feat in with the others? One feat means next to nothing... He did this strength feat.. and yet got WTFpwned by a bad guy with ease. That's the point... one feat means nothing... if he has feats consistent with this AND shows said strength during combat and waxes the floor with everybody with his strength.. sure we can start to call it the norm. Until then, this is just like the lows... it's a feat that is averaged in will all the others. What good does it do superman to have a crazy strength feat like this.. only to struggle moving earth and require help in a comic 4 months from now? Nothing. superman has mental blocks that prevent him from always utilizing the full extent of his powers

he's so used to holding back, that in most circumstances, he's literally using less than 10% of what he truly is capable of fully unleashed

thats my explanation

Starscream M
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
He was just one shot with ease in a prior superman comic. Which is my exact point... this feat is mixed in with all his lows and means very little. If he has feats like this and consistently beats most everybody using strength like this.. sure we can talk then.. Until then, he just got one shot KO'd with ease in a prior issue. you're mixing apples and oranges

getting oneshot is a durability issue...we're talking about a strength issue

Newjak
I'm gonna go ahead and close this thread now.

Not on topic and everything being discussed here can be discussed in another thread.

Badabing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.