Russia slides further from freedom

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
Apologies for using the word 'freedom' in the tagline. It's such an ill-defined term, but it gets people's attention.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20048630

Robtard
Seems Romney was right, Russia still hates freedom.

Mairuzu
Meanwhile, Obama passes NDAA, murders a 16 year old American boy with a drone and restricts free speech. Looks like America is on the same boat.

Omega Vision
^ I don't think the US is anywhere close to Russia in terms of abuses of power and oppression. The Patriot Act or NDAA are nothing compared to this new bill the Duma is working to pass.

I mean, the Pussy Riot girls just got shipped to the next best thing to a Gulag for what wouldn't be more than a few hundred dollar's fine in America (if punishable at all)

Edit: The entire concept of indefinite detention is a matter of fierce debate in America. In Russia, the only question is who deserves it.

Mairuzu
I would say its close enough concidering we are the home of the "free".

Assassinating a 16 year old american kid because his dad is a "bad guy" whos committed only speech crimes is pretty ****in dreadful.

Robtard
http://image.funscrape.com/images/d/drama_queen-6989.gif

Omega Vision
That's not even close. The moment I start calling "Big Brother OMG Police State!" is when Drone Attacks start hitting Americans who aren't living in warzones in close proximity to actual terrorists.

I just find it really hard to look at the al-Awlaki case and think that this portends the death of freedom in America.

Oliver North
Originally posted by Mairuzu
I would say its close enough

do you know Russia?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Oliver North
do you know Russia?
I'm sure he's seen Red Dawn.

focus4chumps
Meanwhile, Obama passes NDAA, murders a 16 year old American boy with a drone and restricts free speech. Looks like America is on the same boat.

yeah thats relevant to the topic (it isnt remotely relevant to the topic)

Darth Jello
So in Russia, they've criminalized Low Treason (dissent)

Lord Lucien
You can't help but wonder, if the Russians are so hell-bent on selling off their freedoms for a little security, why isn't America trading some of their securities for freedom. It's a valuable commodity, and America has plenty of security to sell. With a purchase as big as Russia's freedom, the U.S. could forgo the gold that Ron Paul wants, and instead instate a freedom-based currency. The Freedom Standard, if you will.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
You can't help but wonder, if the Russians are so hell-bent on selling off their freedoms for a little security, why isn't America trading some of their securities for freedom. It's a valuable commodity, and America has plenty of security to sell. With a purchase as big as Russia's freedom, the U.S. could forgo the gold that Ron Paul wants, and instead instate a freedom-based currency. The Freedom Standard, if you will.
laughing out loud

dadudemon
Originally posted by focus4chumps

Tangentially, it is related. The point was, "We can scoff at Russia...but lookie at what we're doing."

Astner
And here I thought there was a difference in being accused and being convicted. Silly me.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by dadudemon
Tangentially, it is related.

and then so is obama's hairdo, tangentially.

...and then the pro's and con's of using anti dandruff shampoo

...and then animal testing for cosmetic/hygene products

...and then who was the better rabbit: bugs bunny or thumper?

Mairuzu

When in Rome stoned

No.

Omega Vision
^ Yeah, you totally just refuted his statements with logic.

Tangentially, it is related. The point was, "We can scoff at Russia...but lookie at what we're doing."
That's still an attempt to hijack a thread to harp on his dissatisfaction with American politics.

Mairuzu
I believe I did.

I also believe we are on the topic of freedom as well. You totally just refuted his statements with logic.

Ushgarak
Keep it on Russia, folks. We have other threads for American politics.

Mairuzu
Russia is a pretty broad topic.

dadudemon

That doesn't fit the glass-house point Mairuzu was making, though.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
That's still an attempt to hijack a thread to harp on his dissatisfaction with American politics.

Since you're the OP, this is your call as you are the author and can clarify "original intent". So...I think you're implying you never intended this to turn into a, "you can rant about Russia all you want: the US is hardly better and here's why."

But, I think the thread is done. I don't think anyone else will argue about what has been presented.

focus4chumps

Since you're the OP, this is your call as you are the author and can clarify "original intent". So...I think you're implying you never intended this to turn into a, "you can rant about Russia all you want: the US is hardly better and here's why."

But, I think the thread is done. I don't think anyone else will argue about what has been presented.

hmmm i thought we were told to keep it on russia since the topic is russia.

dadudemon
hmmm i thought we were told to keep it on russia since the topic is russia.

You should report me.

Omega Vision

I rarely ever censure others for getting off topic, since it's hard to stay on topic without the topic drying out.

I only get annoyed at 'off-topic' posting when it's neither amusing nor cogent. Mai's position here is just myopic. To suggest that America is anywhere close to being a totalitarian state like Russia is grasping at straws.

His first post in this thread made it obvious that he had no interest in discussing the actual topic.

Oliver North

that should make it easy to find something to talk about, no?

Ascendancy
I thought Russia already had enough totalitarian-style laws on the books from back in the day. Who knew they needed more to get down with their bad selves?

Robtard

http://extraordinaryintelligence.com/files/2011/05/sexy-vladimir-putin-1.jpg

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Robtard
http://extraordinaryintelligence.com/files/2011/05/sexy-vladimir-putin-1.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_v4NWwedzzOE/TCEKoqDffqI/AAAAAAAADqs/lXUDqcGdnq0/s1600/PUTIN.jpg

Robtard
Let's face it, if you're going to be stripped of basic human right, wouldn't you rather have it done by a sexy man?

Mairuzu
To suggest that America is anywhere close to being a totalitarian state like Russia is grasping at straws.

No one suggested that. stoned

Only stated that America is also sliding further from freedom. Especially being the home of the free. For Russia, its not as big of a surprise. All you can really say is.... "okay"

In other news, Space is getting bigger.

Oliver North
No one suggested that. stoned

Only stated that America is also sliding further from freedom. Especially being the home of the free. For Russia, its not as big of a surprise. All you can really say is.... "okay"

In other news, Space is getting bigger.

most people in the world would say the exact same thing about the Americans, yet we are also able to discuss the NDAA without being like "whatever, space is getting bigger"

Apologies for using the word 'freedom' in the tagline. It's such an ill-defined term, but it gets people's attention.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20048630

it seems like this is almost aimed more at foreign NGOs more than domestic dissent. Like Ascendancy mentioned above, there are numerous oppressive laws on the books.

Could they be trying to shut down international reporting on Russia?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Oliver North
most people in the world would say the exact same thing about the Americans, yet we are also able to discuss the NDAA without being like "whatever, space is getting bigger"

it seems like this is almost aimed more at foreign NGOs more than domestic dissent. Like Ascendancy mentioned above, there are numerous oppressive laws on the books.

Could they be trying to shut down international reporting on Russia?
Yeah, it does seem like they're making a big step toward isolating themselves.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Keep it on Russia, folks. We have other threads for American politics. I swear Putin has said the exact same thing before.

Omega Vision
Russia, so far as I know, if unique in its style of totalitarianism where it maintains an elaborate (but paper-thin) illusion of democracy and change by having its Prime Minister and President play leapfrog every several years.

I guess they recently changed the term length from 4 to 6 years...presumably so Putin can save more money by having fewer swearing-in ceremonies and so that the guy who switches Putin's desk plaque with Medvedev's has more vacation time.

crystalmaden
I wonder why Russia hates freedom.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.