The Legend of Conan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji

NemeBro
For the first time, we will see what a fat, out of shape Conan looks like.

Esau Cairn
Ungh!
Arnie ruined Conan for me growing up & now he's back to haunt me again!

I hope this time round, he doesn't play a dumbwitted version of Conan like the first 2 movies.

Kazenji
I'm glad that they're ignoring those two movies.

rudester
was grace jones in conan? she makes me laugh.. perhaps she can be in this one too.........I wonder?

steverules_2
I always thought Grace Jones seemed rather manly to me, she looks like she'd beat the crap out of me...never understood why James Bond slept with her

the ninjak
Originally posted by steverules_2
I always thought Grace Jones seemed rather manly to me, she looks like she'd beat the crap out of me...never understood why James Bond slept with her

Bond sleeps with any woman who falls into his missions. Grace Jones is a beast though and the idea of Bond and her going at it is a brutal vision indeed.

BruceSkywalker
might pass unless there is a good female lead.. loved the original conan, sequel was atrocious, reboot was horrendous

Robtard
Um, Conan isn't a "Nordic Viking", he's a Cimmerian and lives in a fictional time and land.

Having said that, I loved the first film; hated the second. Can't see Arnold reprising the role now. Too old, too fat and too face-lifted.

NemeBro
Yeah, the whole "Nordic Viking" shit threw me off too.

Robtard
Speaking of Vikings though, Mel Gibson needs to get his alcoholic racist ass in higher gear and give us 'Berserk' already.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Robtard
Speaking of Vikings though, Mel Gibson needs to get his alcoholic racist ass in higher gear and give us 'Berserk' already.

hahahahaha.. thanks for the laughs Rob

Ascendancy
I see no reason to ignore the first two considering that the end of both sets up the story of Conan as an older king, which is a good role for Arnold at this point.

The second certainly wasn't as good, but I still love to watch it.

Robtard
Originally posted by Ascendancy
I see no reason to ignore the first two considering that the end of both sets up the story of Conan as an older king, which is a good role for Arnold at this point.

The second certainly wasn't as good, but I still love to watch it.

It doesn't ignore Conan, it ignores Destroyer and the Conan reboot, which is a good thing.

Kazenji

Having said that, I loved the first film; hated the second. Can't see Arnold reprising the role now. Too old, too fat and too face-lifted.

He should go to Stallone for help to get back into shape.

CowardlyBlakMan
Rather watch dogs ****.

Esau Cairn
It doesn't ignore Conan, it ignores Destroyer and the Conan reboot, which is a good thing.

Alot of blame was put on Dino Dilaurentiis (producer) for killing the original franchise.

His deeply religious beliefs forced the script writers to tone down any references to priests & sects & ultimately just have the finale of Conan fighting & defeating a monster. Dino also refused to invest money into a cgi monster so in the end it came down to Andre The Giant in a rubber suit.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Esau Cairn

. Dino also refused to invest money into a cgi monster so in the end it came down to Andre The Giant in a rubber suit.

That end scene with that demon is alot better in the Comic book movie adaptation.

Kazenji
Update, plan is to shoot later this year, possibly in New Zealand

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/174435-arnold-schwarzenegger-updates-on-the-legend-of-conan

the ninjak
I liked Conan the Destroyer....sad

And the third film was always supposed to be King Conan.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Kazenji
Update, plan is to shoot later this year, possibly in New Zealand

Ha ha they should just film 2 hours of Conan destroying & plundering Jackson's Hobbit village.

quanchi112
Ha ha they should just film 2 hours of Conan destroying & plundering Jackson's Hobbit village. Conan ain't shit compared to LOTR.

Kazenji
Conan is just as epic as LOTR.

quanchi112
Conan is just as epic as LOTR. Not even close. The films couldn't tie the Lotr boots.

Kazenji
Of course the films wouldn't but the Stories from the books would.

Esau Cairn
Y'know it's always bother me about the LOTR movies...why didn't they use the bloody eagles in the 1st to get to the mountain?

At least with the Conan novels, it was a different adventure every time.

Kazenji
The eagles thing something to do with Gandalf holding out on them all i think.

quanchi112
Of course the films wouldn't but the Stories from the books would. This is the movie board so why would I talk about the books ?

Kazenji
Well i am

and i don't see how that's any different to bringing up comic book comparisons.

quanchi112
Well i am. This is the movie forum though. It makes no sense to reference the books.

Kazenji
Originally posted by quanchi112
This is the movie forum though. It makes no sense to reference the books.

We have when it comes to talking about Sin City 2.

quanchi112
We have when it comes to talking about Sin City 2. Speculation is fine but I just meant in terms of the movies Conan isn't shit compared to LOTR. I have no idea about the comics.

Kazenji
Well the books/Novels came before the comics anyway.

quanchi112
Well the books/Novels came before the comics anyway. Well at least you agree the movies LOTR rape Conan.

Kazenji
Only redeemable Conan movie so far is Conan the barbarian (1989) imo.

quanchi112
Only redeemable Conan movie so far is Conan the barbarian (1989) imo. The remake was horrible.

Kazenji
I hear Jason Momoa as Conan was great in the role, everything else not so much.

Esau Cairn
Momoa might've looked like Conan but he lacked the charisma Conan had in the novels.
There was several scenes in the movie where Momoa was surrounded by other warriors & he just sadly lacked the presence to stand out as the mian character.

Kazenji
Movie gets a writer... Andrea Berloff (World Trade Center)

Kazenji
Producer on the movie thinks the film will be Schwarzenegger's Unforgiven

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/legend-of-conan-producer-says-the-film-will-be-schwarzeneggers-unforgiven

Stealth Moose
Hrm, interesting. I had no idea they were doing such a thing. Pretty sure Arnold's washed up though. His recent roles have been lackluster, and he's entirely out of shape, not counting his heart condition.

I think the first film is really really good. Destroyer was alright, but doesn't deserve some of the hate it gets; neither did the reboot.

Kazenji
I hated Destroyer, Just didn't have the same feel as the first one.

Psychotron
A woman is writing Conan? It's doomed. Arnold is in good enough shape to play an old king going out for one final battle though.

http://imgur.com/JWd0Mje

Kazenji
Whats wrong with a woman writing the story?

Psychotron
Whats wrong with a woman writing the story?

Conan is an uber-masculine swords and sorcery movie. Women aren't good with any of that.

Kazenji
Guess you haven't read many stories then.

Psychotron
I'm speaking of the movies.

Kazenji
Still doesn't the fact.

Psychotron
Which fact?

Stealth Moose

Kazenji
None to my knowledge.

Psychotron
So you agree?

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Psychotron
Conan is an uber-masculine swords and sorcery movie. Women aren't good with any of that.

Alot of people complained that Punisher: Warzone was too violent & hardcore.

Did you know that a woman directed the movie?

Stealth Moose
Alot of people complained that Punisher: Warzone was too violent & hardcore.

Did you know that a woman directed the movie?

Lexi Alexander (born 23 August 1974) is a German-born film director and former World Point Fighting and Karate Champion. At the age of 19, she became world champion in both, retired from professional fighting and moved to the US, where she landed the part of Kitana in Mortal Kombat: Live Tour

She's a German fighter, and so gets a pass. (Or is it fight-ress?)

Also, Warzone was written by three dudes, which is still the consideration here. There's no general argument that women can't write a male-oriented flick; rather, there's serious doubt that any woman can identify enough to emulate what the original film created. Hell, there's leagues of male writers who can't do that.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Stealth Moose

there's serious doubt that any woman can identify enough to emulate what the original film created.

I think, maybe you're holding the original in too much a high esteem.

It was good for its time but hardly did the novels justice.

Stealth Moose
I'm not in ignorance of the novels and the differences. However, Conan the Barbarian is an epic piece and defined sword and sorcery in the early 80s. It has a very definite energy and atmosphere which is not easily replicated. The sequel utterly failed to capture the same thing, and the reboot didn't even try.

There's a lot below the surface, and I'm not the first to say as much.

Conan the Barbarian and Psychoanalysis.

That's just one viewpoint. I've read others, but I can't find them easily at the moment, which go into more detail, or talk about Conan (man) killing Thulsa Doom (God) and replacing him. The film, despite its flaws, speaks to people on many levels, and specifically men.

So the point remains, for a woman to successfully write a sequel to this film, it would be rather surprising. Writing is directed by individual thought patterns, and it takes a considerable amount of self control, introspection, and empathy to write someone who isn't anything at all like yourself, especially if that person is amoral by your standards.

Esau Cairn

So the point remains, for a woman to successfully write a sequel to this film, it would be rather surprising. Writing is directed by individual thought patterns, and it takes a considerable amount of self control, introspection, and empathy to write someone who isn't anything at all like yourself, especially if that person is amoral by your standards.

But by those standards, a writer can only write about murder, if they've murdered themselves.

Esau Cairn

Conan the Barbarian and Psychoanalysis.

That's just one viewpoint.

Too much emphasis on Conan's silence meaning repression & uncertainty to trust...?

We're talking about Schwarzenegger, whose early films had little dialogue due to his lack of english speaking skills.

There's nothing to psychoanalyse about that!

Kazenji
Originally posted by Psychotron
So you agree?

Agree that your wrong?....then yes.

Stealth Moose
But by those standards, a writer can only write about murder, if they've murdered themselves.

My post implied nothing of the sort. Reread it again.

Too much emphasis on Conan's silence meaning repression & uncertainty to trust...?

We're talking about Schwarzenegger, whose early films had little dialogue due to his lack of english speaking skills.

There's nothing to psychoanalyse about that!

Do you even know what psychoanalysis is about?

Esau Cairn

Do you even know what psychoanalysis is about?

Y'know sometimes an image on screen is quite simply that.
It's called screen-filler.

Stealth Moose
Y'know sometimes an image on screen is quite simply that.
It's called screen-filler.

I'll take that as a no.

Valen007
Conan the Barbarian was pretty much amazing. It sounds like a bad idea to get back to acting now for Arnold, he can't get back to former shape,age is taking its toll quite a bit.

Esau Cairn
I'll take that as a no.

Considering the analogies of the link you provided, I can't work out if it's Conan or you with the mother issues.

Stealth Moose
Considering the analogies of the link you provided, I can't work out if it's Conan or you with the mother issues.

http://i.imgur.com/8tv626q.gif

Like I said, you clearly don't understand the methodology. But this is the internet; you can educate yourself if you want. It would certainly prevent you from having to come up with lame comebacks instead of admitting that you don't understand or don't want to understand the concept I introduced.

Esau Cairn
I'm just saying the psychoanalysis link you provided is laughable.
It's a sword & sorcery movie....the sword may be phallic in shape but there's no hidden metaphor because a scene depicts it being held up in the air.

Conan's parents were a race of warriors, so depicting his mother as a woman of submission is pointless & wrong.

Conan doesn't speak much because of the actor's limited grasp of English, in real life. Same as his role in Terminator & the sole reason too that Arnie is famous for his one-liners.
There's nothing to psychoanalyse about that.

The film bastardised & simplified at least 4 different novel plots. It was also subjected to Dino De Laurantiis's personal views of how religion & cults could be depicted in film.

At the end of the day, all I'm saying is that Conan The Barbarian may not be the most ideal film to break down & analyse every minute scene.

Honestly, does there really need to be a hidden meaning to Conan punching a camel????

Or underlining latent homosexuality when he "entices" a priest into the tent to steal his robes???

Stealth Moose
I'm just saying the psychoanalysis link you provided is laughable.
It's a sword & sorcery movie....the sword may be phallic in shape but there's no hidden metaphor because a scene depicts it being held up in the air.

Conan's parents were a race of warriors, so depicting his mother as a woman of submission is pointless & wrong.

Conan doesn't speak much because of the actor's limited grasp of English, in real life. Same as his role in Terminator & the sole reason too that Arnie is famous for his one-liners.
There's nothing to psychoanalyse about that.

The film bastardised & simplified at least 4 different novel plots. It was also subjected to Dino De Laurantiis's personal views of how religion & cults could be depicted in film.

At the end of the day, all I'm saying is that Conan The Barbarian may not be the most ideal film to break down & analyse every minute scene.

Honestly, does there really need to be a hidden meaning to Conan punching a camel????

Or underlining latent homosexuality when he "entices" a priest into the tent to steal his robes???

Alright, let me back up a step and retackle this position:

I am not endorsing psychoanalysis as an objective or entirely meaningful way to analyze everything. I am using this analysis of the film to showcase how it changes in meaning to people, even on strange levels. To one person, it's all about being the superman, overcoming society, morals, etc. To another, it's just a sword and sorcery flick. To yet another, it's all about underlying sexuality.

Psychoanalysis, especially the field centered around Freud's original intentions, often uses sex in particular to change or give meaning to otherwise benign or mundane actions in a film, with the intent of 'indicating' the id or inner repressed desires of the medium creator. The reason why sex in particular was probably such a big deal for Freud was that most of his patients during its development process were sexually repressed females in Victorian society. Latter proponents of the theory modified it to include or omit some of the more wild sexual themes and clarify that sometimes, meaning is entirely unintended and unjustified for speculation.

To you, the film is just that; a film. No intention was behind every little detail. To someone using the psychoanalytic theory (regardless of intent; academic or personal), the film is layered in meaning.

You could probably apply a lot of philosophical and analytic tools to the film and glean a bit, since the story has a lot of mythical motives, macho shows of strength, dominance, and gore, and is a darkly amoral tale about an outsider of society.

Bottom line? You can say "that's ridiculous", but my point was that the film is more than just a simple fantasy film; it speaks to people, in a very unique way. And because of how it was filmed, written, and portrayed, this leads back to my initial point that a female writer would not easily emulate this style.

Make sense now?

Esau Cairn

To you, the film is just that; a film. No intention was behind every little detail. To someone using the psychoanalytic theory (regardless of intent; academic or personal), the film is layered in meaning.

You could probably apply a lot of philosophical and analytic tools to the film and glean a bit, since the story has a lot of mythical motives, macho shows of strength, dominance, and gore, and is a darkly amoral tale about an outsider of society.

Bottom line? You can say "that's ridiculous", but my point was that the film is more than just a simple fantasy film; it speaks to people, in a very unique way. And because of how it was filmed, written, and portrayed, this leads back to my initial point that a female writer would not easily emulate this style.

Make sense now?

For starters, I'm glad we can have a "grown-up" banter, rather than calling each other "idiots" for not understanding or accepting the other's view point.

I guess we both agree to disagree as we're approaching the subject of psychoanalysing a film from different angles....
I simply state, you can't truly analyse a film from just what you see on screen, you NEED to know more about the back-ground motives & politics that went into making a film. The decisions that were made behind-the-scenes & more importantly the editing of certain scenes that, if included, might've change the whole perception of a character, much less the story.

3 examples come to mind.

i) You can psychoanalyse the mythos of Connor Macleod in the 1st HighLander...THEN comes the sequel & you find out he's actually an alien! Your psychoanalyse gets blown to pieces.

ii) The 1st Mission Impossible went through numerous directorial & script writer changes resulting in a very convoluted movie whose story line made little sense.
How can you even begin to analyse Ethan's character?

iii) Blade Runner. You walk away thinking Deckard gets the girl & happy ending, despite knowing she's a replicant with x-amount of life left. You could write a thesis on Deckard based on that movie. THEN comes the Director's Cut where it hints that Deckard is also a replicant...well once again, your analyse falls to pieces.

But ultimately, your point is that you don't feel a woman is up to writing a male dominated role as Conan. I just think that's a bit old fashioned to say so. If a female actress can act in gritty roles, written by men, then I can't see why the opposite can't happen.

Stealth Moose
For starters, I'm glad we can have a "grown-up" banter, rather than calling each other "idiots" for not understanding or accepting the other's view point.

Me too. I guess I forget there are other old people on this forum.

True, from my own personal viewpoint I always consider the director's intentions, writer's, etc when they're known. This doesn't mean I can't speculate on what is not explicit.

IIRC, that movie isn't canon, and the original creator even said as much. It has been largely ignored by everything else in the series.

True, but his character and the films weren't deep drama. John Woo directed a film or two in the series. Conan, despite being fantasy, has drama overtones, and symbolism, as well as myth motives.

Actually, I did a lot of work on the symbolism in Blade Runner in college, and I could attest that even without the explicit nod that he is a replicant, it can be inferred and indeed was inferred by others. Hell, Ridley Scott and Harrison Ford both disagreed on the subject, and they were directly involved.

Remind me sometime to share the symbolism in that film regarding animals, emotions, and eyes. It's ridiculous the stuff I gleaned from the film. It's a classic.

Well, what gritty action roles for women have been written by men and haven't been full of shallow tropes, over-sexualization, and so on? I'm not saying it's impossible; I've indicated many times it's extremely unlikely. If I said offhand "men can't write women very well", the comment would be agreed with more often then not. If I say " a woman probably can't write or capture Conan as well as the first film did", I'm old-fashioned. That's quite the double standard.

Kazenji

i) You can psychoanalyse the mythos of Connor Macleod in the 1st HighLander...THEN comes the sequel & you find out he's actually an alien! Your psychoanalyse gets blown to pieces.

He's not an alien if its the Renagade version, Which Russell Mulcahy made.

Esau Cairn
Never seen or heard of a Renegade version....
What changes did Mulcahy do?

Kazenji
Removed all references to the planet Zeist and the Immortals are explained as coming from Earth's distant past

Some scenes were re-sequenced, e.g., a long swordfight was broken into two separate fights and the opening scenes in the Quickening were turned into flashbacks in the Renegade version. Scenes that did not make it into the Quickening version were restored in the Renegade version, e.g., Louise and Connor's climb to the hole in the shield and a fight scene between Connor and Katana on top of a truck.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.