Better movie franchise: Matrix or Star Wars

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

quanchi112
As a fan which do you prefer ? Feel free to give your opinion on major characters of both franchises if they fought as well.

Nephthys
Star Wars. 3 good movies vs one. Then 2 bad movies vs 2. ROTS was average.

Jedi Sheriff
...Let me think on this for a while.

Jedi Sheriff
Star Wars.

Lord Lucien
Star Wars has 6 films. 3 are good. 3 are bad. 50% are quality.

The Matrix has 3 films. 1 is good. 2 are bad. 33.333...% are quality.

Star Wars is the better franchise due to quantity of quality. Also much fewer monotone voices.

quanchi112
I myself was more excited for Matrix. I also enjoyed them better overall. I loved the first two and didn't care for the third. I was never a huge star wars fan but the potential is there.

Also Smith would kick any Star Wars characters ass in the Matrix.

NemeBro
Darth Nihilus would eat Smith actually, even in the Matrix.

Star Wars.

Also, Return of the Jedi sucked ass, Revenge of the Sith and Attack of the Clones were better.

Come at me.

Ascendancy
Star Wars
Ep IV, V, and VI progressively one-upped the previous film
Ep I was ok, II was poop, but III sort of saved the reboot.

The first Matrix was great and still is. The second has good parts and is watchable but isn't too grand; same for the third.

quanchi112
Originally posted by NemeBro
Darth Nihilus would eat Smith actually, even in the Matrix.

Star Wars.

Also, Return of the Jedi sucked ass, Revenge of the Sith and Attack of the Clones were better.

Come at me. Any character from the movies. This is a movie thread, padawan.

the ninjak
Star Wars should win.

Though I got more from Matrix 1 and the Animatrix than the SW films personally.

Well......Matrix films win for me. More thought provoking and exciting.

I can't in regards to battle which heavy weights beat who.
Jedis/Sith should wreck havok inside the Matrix. The Machines aren't aware of the Force.

NemeBro
Originally posted by quanchi112
Any character from the movies. This is a movie thread, padawan. Ah, but you said any SW character, did not specify. wink

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Star Wars has 6 films. 3 are good. 3 are bad. 50% are quality.

The Matrix has 3 films. 1 is good. 2 are bad. 33.333...% are quality.

Star Wars is the better franchise due to quantity of quality. Also much fewer monotone voices.
Even if the Matrix sequels are "bad", I wouldn't say they're on the same level of bad as the worst of Star Wars.

Psychotron
Star Wars.

Only the first Matrix is as good as the OT.

quanchi112
Ah, but you said any SW character, did not specify. wink Its a movie thread. I guess I have to explain the obvious. What am I to do with you ?

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Even if the Matrix sequels are "bad", I wouldn't say they're on the same level of bad as the worst of Star Wars. No... but the first Matrix is good, but not the same kind of good as the Star Wars OT. It balances out.

Mindship
Star Wars, overall, has better movies. However, it's space opera, a genre which has been around for almost a century, and already was done very well via Star Trek. So, on the positive, Star Wars has been very entertaining, but on the negative: been there, done that.

Virtual reality stories are much more recent, since the eighties, so there was more room for creativity. "The Matrix" impressed me as one of the most original films to come around in a long time, as well as being a better allegory for mystical awareness than Star Wars. However, it was basically a one-shot deal. The Matrix sequels weren't bad, but not as good as the Star Wars sequels (though I would say the Matrix sequels were better than the Star Wars prequels).

So, for pure entertainment: Star Wars.
For thought-provoking originality: The Matrix.

FrothByte
You have to give credit to The Matrix for doing something very complex and completely original. It was harder to make the Matrix work IMO than Star Wars.

Star Wars was more enjoyable but Matrix had better technicalities overall.

Darth Martin
The Dark Knight trilogy is better than both.

marwash22
i don't get why people think Matrix Reloaded was bad.

InMyOpinion
Hmm...the Matrix series produced groundbreaking visual effects that, however lacking "quality" as some say, was for some time the highest grossing film of all time (disregarding all the merchandise). However on the opposite spectrum, a series that (in its youth) consisted of its own groundbreaking visuals for its time, had plenty of "meat", the Star Wars films are of course a classic. That being said, I must go with the Matrix, because not only does it share philosophical meaning as far as liberation of the mind is concerned (which of course one could argue Star Wars makes the same stretch of ideal,) it is also the start of a trend of movies that prefered the Black trenchcoat, sunglasses, combat boot phase. Plus if your a Wu fan like me, you gotta go with the Matrix.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by marwash22
i don't get why people think Matrix Reloaded was bad. fLrpBLDWyCI

marwash22
lol, i don't think you wanna nitpick each franchise.

Star Wars has epic amounts of utter shit, and that's not excluding the original trilogy.

Darth Martin
I like Reloaded. Despite some of the noticeable poor quality in some of the action sequences, I thought it was a rather impressive sequel. Sure, it didn't help the way it ended.

Lord Lucien
I call a movie 'bad' when it bores me. I'm pretty tolerant of most things cinema, so it takes a considerable level of dullness for me to be bored. Usually even a cool action scene is enough to keep me at least mildly interested. That's how I viewed the Matrix sequels: mildly interesting. But the novelty of the action scenes wore off long ago, and now the films have to rely on their strong, well developed characters, plot, and ideas.

Unfortunately, the Matrix sequels possess none of those things.

BlackZero30x
I loved The matrix but Star Wars was great!

Starwars wins for me. There is only one trilogy after all lol stick out tongue

I don't believe the prequels sucked...maybe attack of the clones lol. Anyways I think a lot of people say they didn't have much story to them because of the order they were brought out. We already knew what was suppose to happen in them so when we saw them it was kind of like "meh knew that was gonna happen".

Casper Whitey
Episodes 4-6 were epic. Episode 1 was OK. Episode 2 was meh. Episode 3 was good.

The Matrix sucks.

Lestov16
I don't understand why people hate the Matrix trilogy. The series was consistent, had a good story and character arc, great action sequences, and it set itself for a awesome conclusion which it delivered on, both in Zion and the Matrix. It was full of insightful philosophy that drilled to the existentialist core. I thought it was a very good film trilogy, and a lot more interesting to watch the Star Wars films.

The only thing the SW films have over The Matrix is that the Matrix (and really any other media franchise media franchise) doesn't have a character as badass as Darth Vader. You have to admit he is a large appeal of the series. Why else would George Lucas create an entire film trilogy around him? Take Vader out of Star Wars and what do you have?

Casper Whitey
Boba Fett.

Lestov16
The Twins were more badass than Boba Fett smile

Casper Whitey
Your mom's twins are more badass than Boba Fett.

Lestov16
Your mom's ass smells badder than Boba Fett

Casper Whitey
Your face.

BruceSkywalker
matrix reloaded was good, revolutions was shit.. star wars, loved the whole series

Lestov16
Originally posted by Casper Whitey
Your face.

.....is more handsome than everyone in the SWverse combined, including Han smile

Casper Whitey
Lol wut

Placidity
Episode 1 was OK.

lol wut

Casper Whitey
Originally posted by Placidity
lol wut It was OK, not bad like Ep. 2. It was watchable IMO.

Placidity
It was OK, not bad like Ep. 2. It was watchable IMO.

Nah, lets be honest, they were both terrible. For me, at least in Ep II we saw Jango Fett, Mace Windu, Nick Fury decapitating Jango, Yoda styling on Dooku, and Anakin getting his arm chopped off. Those were cool moments if you are a Star Wars fan. Ep I on the other hand didn't really have anything. Arguably Maul was pretty cool, but Jar Jar Binks sealed the deal.

Casper Whitey
Originally posted by Placidity
Nah, lets be honest, they were both terrible. For me, at least in Ep II we saw Jango Fett, Mace Windu, Nick Fury decapitating Jango, Yoda styling on Dooku, and Anakin getting his arm chopped off. Those were cool moments if you are a Star Wars fan. Ep I on the other hand didn't really have anything. Arguably Maul was pretty cool, but Jar Jar Binks sealed the deal. Pod racing was cool.

Patient_Leech
Matrix all the way for me. There's no pansy, annoying-as-shit charactesr like Jar Jar targeted at kids.

But again, not sure why there's such a need to compare unrelated things... there's far more interesting things to discuss. It's no wonder the Matrix films went over everyone's head here... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Galan007
The original Matrix was great (+1). Reloaded was boring and extremely mediocre-- there were only a few moments even worth talking about (-1). Revolutions was utter shit (-1). Total score= -1

The original SW Trilogy was brilliant (+3). Episode I was absolutely horrendous (-1). Episode II was shitty until the last hour or so (-1). Episode III was decent overall (+1). Total score= +2.

The SW franchise has the better good/crap ratio. It wins. Numbers don't lie.

BlackZero30x
...but this math implies that The Matrix trilogy = The Starwars prequels.

omgchos
Lumping the original star wars films in with the prequels isnt fair. Lucas had full creative control over the prequels whereas in Episodes IV-VI many people had influence over it. It would be fair to say that the originals are better as a whole than the matrix trilogy, whereas the prequels were far more dissapointing.

marwash22
i like how people treat the Original Trilogy like a sacred goat and ignore it's many, many flaws and completely shitty moments.

take off the Solo cup colored glasses.

the OT wasn't brilliant, not by any stretch of the imagination.

roughrider
Star Wars is at the top of the mythic mountain of pop culture. The only company it has up there on the peak is the LOTR series and Harry Potter(and they both come from book series), plus Indiana Jones. The Matrix series perhaps makes my top ten series, at best. But like many fans, I thought the series started swerving off the rails from the second film. They didn't even get out of one trilogy critically unscathed.

omgchos
i like how people treat the Original Trilogy like a sacred goat and ignore it's many, many flaws and completely shitty moments.

take off the Solo cup colored glasses.

the OT wasn't brilliant, not by any stretch of the imagination.

Whether or not i agree with you i can only imagin what you think of the prequels. And that is more of the point i was making. And flaws are one thing. You have to look at the overall good story telling and how the characters played off of each other. The point here to look at is that even by popularity and the fact that the original series didnt write itself into a corner and ruin what was a very good original premise, it is a better franchise. ot counting the prequels which bog it down considerably.

marwash22
i wasn't specifically replying to you.

Galan is the one who called the OT brilliant.

omgchos
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/89d/620/4f7/resized/grandma-finds-the-internet-meme-generator-ah-i-see-d0fd73.jpg

Robtard
Star Wars is better and anyone who thinks The Matrix is better or that The Matrix has something decent to offer besides the first film is a buttmunchingbraindeadlabmonkey who's full of AIDS and fail. /fact

marwash22
I never actually said Matrix was the better franchise, I'm simply pointing out that a lot of nerds like to pretend Star Wars is this masterpiece that has no flaws and can stand up unfazed if put under the same microscope as other movies and franchises.

Dancing phucking Ewoks. lulz. that's one the dumbest things i have seen on screen and i have watched all the Twilight movies.

omgchos
I never actually said Matrix was the better franchise, I'm simply pointing out that a lot of nerds like to pretend Star Wars is this masterpiece that has no flaws and can stand up unfazed if put under the same microscope as other movies and franchises.

Dancing phucking Ewoks. lulz. that's one the dumbest things i have seen on screen and i have watched all the Twilight movies.
True fans of star wars realize that the third movie was just them going through the motions. Even seth mcfarlane made it clear they didnt want to do the third movie. Tho he did make a pretty penny i bet.

Galan007
Galan is the one who called the OT brilliant. Imo, from a storytelling standpoint (ie. characters, plot, delivery, setting, etc.) the OT is one of the best sagas in cinematic history.

Did it have its flaws? Sure, I never said otherwise... But so did the Matrix trilogy.

NemeBro
Return of the Jedi was a heaping pile of shit, the worst Star Wars movie.

For all of Jarjar's metrosexuality, Ewoks were worse.

Nephthys
Lol. Nah.

Villelater

Ever play Hunter mode on Starwarsbattlefront 2? Snipers vs ewoks...they f-ing ewoks always win even when i play splitscreen with another player...damned creatures

Casper Whitey

For all of Jarjar's metrosexuality, Ewoks were worse. Wut?

omgchos

I wouldnt say heaping pile of shit as even with the weoks and the circular story telling it still had alot of memorable character moments. Jar Jar wasnt even the worst part of that shit. It was lucas' fault he ****ed up.

Lucas quote(might be ver batum)
"Oh my gosh so many sets have been built, i'm gonna have to start writing a script soon."

DTM
Comparing them as films? Star Wars EASILY takes this.

-Pr-
lol. Jedi is better than any of the prequels, and even the Ewoks had more emotional depth than Anakin.

Plus, Luke Vs Vader Vs Emperor.

Also, Star Wars gets my vote in general. More quality in general.

Dolos
I gotta go with Matrix by a flarkin mile.

The mofo that invented bullet-time.

DTM
Originally posted by Dolos
I gotta go with Matrix by a flarkin mile.

The mofo that invented bullet-time.

And Star Wars basically "invented" (or was Largely repsonible for) Movie Special Effects, of which bullet time is a small, small, small part of. smile The creators of The Matrix, not to mention How Many other world class directors, producers and actors, wouldnt even have become so without Star Wars inspiring them way back when.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by -Pr-
lol. Jedi is better than any of the prequels, and even the Ewoks had more emotional depth than Anakin. I dunno... I get a rage boner every time Anakin gets angry. His emotional pool is 12 feet deep and filled with nothing but butthurt. Powerful stuff...

Dolos
The Matrix is so much more scientific, and plausible.

There is nothing more unrealistic than a type III civillization on the Kardashev scale operating exactly like a type I. Crime, war, desparity, mortality...wtf? Sure I can understand outlaws who wanna stay human as their creations en technology go out and do their thing, but don't think that AI is going to serve the stupid primitive archaic beyond obsolete organics.

Lord Lucien
Wait... you base how good a sci-fi movie is based on how realistic it is?

-Pr-
I dunno... I get a rage boner every time Anakin gets angry. His emotional pool is 12 feet deep and filled with nothing but butthurt. Powerful stuff...

laughing out loud

Dolos
I dunno... I get a rage boner every time Anakin gets angry. His emotional pool is 12 feet deep and filled with nothing but butthurt. Powerful stuff...

wFWI2sDZMJ4

He could be the lead singer for a screamo song!!!

Dolos
Wait... you base how good a sci-fi movie is based on how realistic it is?

It takes far more creativity and a far larger imagination to create a virtual world than a loony sword and sorcery fantasy-world.

Star Wars one of the most sophisticated game series (KoToR I, II and ToR) that is riddled with great vocab and freedom for character creativity...but that has nothing to do with the films tbh.

Zack Fair
LoL.

SW all the way. Every day.

Even the SW 70s holiday special > reloaded

Well...that might be going too far.

Neo vs hundred smiths was cool though.

Dolos
Originally posted by Zack Fair
LoL.

SW all the way. Every day.

Even the SW 70s holiday special > reloaded

Well...that might be going too far.

Neo vs hundred smiths was cool though.

When I was 11 I watched that one scene ten times in a row on my parent's dvd player.

Lord Lucien
It takes far more creativity and a far larger imagination to create a virtual world than a loony sword and sorcery fantasy-world. ???

No, it doesn't. It doesn't take less either. That you're deciding which franchise is better based solely on how much creativity you think was involved in its conception, is pretty sad. The first Matrix film was a technical beauty, as well as having a compelling story and great action scenes (the sequels failed utterly in those regards, Reloaded Merovingian aside). What about the amount of hard work and "creativity" that went in to the set design, costumes, and special effects? Do you care nothing for the characters, the plot, the sets, the narrative, the musical score, the pacing, the cinematography, the themes and ideas, the dialogue etc. Etc... et cetera.

The Star Wars originals are no less amazing in that regard, and like The Matrix, they go beyond your strange viewpoint of external creativity and focus on "cool fights scenes, brah." Or is all you care about how cool the fight scenes look and how much "creativity" you feel is involved at the writers' desk (regardless of how much is actually involved)?

Cuz that's a pretty piss-poor criteria for judging movies.

Dolos
???

No, it doesn't. It doesn't take less either. That you're deciding which franchise is better based solely on how much creativity you think was involved in its conception, is pretty sad. The first Matrix film was a technical beauty, as well as having a compelling story and great action scenes (the sequels failed utterly in those regards, Reloaded Merovingian aside). What about the amount of hard work and "creativity" that went in to the set design, costumes, and special effects? Do you care nothing for the characters, the plot, the sets, the narrative, the musical score, the pacing, the cinematography, the themes and ideas, the dialogue etc. Etc... et cetera.

The Star Wars originals are no less amazing in that regard, and like The Matrix, they go beyond your strange viewpoint of external creativity and focus on "cool fights scenes, brah." Or is all you care about how cool the fight scenes look and how much "creativity" you feel is involved at the writers' desk (regardless of how much is actually involved)?

Cuz that's a pretty piss-poor criteria for judging movies.

You have no idea what I liked about the Matrix and Star Wars, your posts reflect this. Think on your cluelessness and quit taking what I say so personally. Emotion is for women. Unless you're a woman and in that case, cool .

Anyhow, themes and ideas, dialogue, and story are why the Matrix TRILOGY is far, far better than the Star Wars hexology.

Being that creative and keeping the much realism did it in for me as well.

So I've elaborated on my thoughts of the creativity of the ideas behind, the awesomeness and visual appeal of the bullet-time. So you want to talk about story, plot, dialogue and character progression now? Lets start with dialogue, the only Star Wars character that can be considered on par with Smith's menacing and awe-inspiring dialogues was the Emperor in ROTJ, and yet I still find Smith's talking down in all three films to be more sinister.

That's just a start, I'm not in the mood for this right now tbh.

Lord Lucien
You have no idea what I liked about the Matrix and Star Wars, your posts reflect this. Think on your cluelessness and quit taking what I say so personally. Emotion is for women. Unless you're a woman and in that case, cool .

Anyhow, themes and ideas, dialogue, and story are why the Matrix TRILOGY is far, far better than the Star Wars hexology.

Being that creative and keeping the much realism did it in for me as well.

So I've elaborated on my thoughts of the creativity of the ideas behind, the awesomeness and visual appeal of the bullet-time. So you want to talk about story, plot, dialogue and character progression now? Lets start with dialogue, the only Star Wars character that can be considered on par with Smith's menacing and awe-inspiring dialogues was the Emperor in ROTJ, and yet I still find Smith's talking down in all three films to be more sinister.

That's just a start, I'm not in the mood for this right now tbh. Well, yeah. Palptine would be the only one on par. He's the big bad, the final boss, the main villain... just like Smith. They would be comparable. And the Star Wars prequels blow more chunks than the Matrix sequels could ever dream of.

But I predict your insistence that the Matrix sequels were actually good. That I want to hear about. Aside from the Merovingian (Reloaded only) and Monica Belluci's neckline, I can't think of anything in either sequels that can be called good. The philosophy is babble and makes no sense, the special effects are no longer novel (the awe of bullet-time was used up in the first film), the characters are so effing boring, and the plot is just convoluted and... dumb. I can't think of a more accurate word (especially for Revolutions).

And Smith isn't sinister, clever, or threatening... he's hilarious! He spouts the same nonsense that the Oracle and Architect do, he grins and guffaws like a retard, and that "climax" (I couldn't put enough quotations around that word if I tried) fight in Revolutions looks like garbage compared to the first film's. I couldn't stop laughing at all the stupid clones standing around with that same Billy Idol-esque sneer on their faces. Nor at the slow-mo face-squishing. Nor at the ridiculous way Smith breaks out of the ground and floats in the air like a DBZ character. It was funny. But by God, it was stupid.

Throw in the stick-in-the-mud protagonists, who are all unlikable, boring, and full of the same bland and/or shitty dialogue as everyone else, and what's left? The cascade of CGI, Lucas-style? The utterly meaningless battle for Zion that drags on forever and ultimately meant nothing to the story's resolution? The forced and contrived love stories? The switcharoo they pulled on Morpheus' personality during that scene in Reloaded? MACHINES? The pointless half-orgy of androgynous bronze people?

I'm honestly at a loss to think of anything interesting, or even all that entertaining about the Matrix sequels. Cartoon Smith, French people, boobs, and digital orgasms aside, of course.

whatdoucare
Star Wars is a classic unforgettable franchise while the matrix is best forgotten

Nibedicus
Star Wars is so much better as a franchise. We still have tons of people who buy the Star Wars merchandize to this day. Don't really see many people into the Matrix anymore.

Dolos
Well, yeah. Palptine would be the only one on par. He's the big bad, the final boss, the main villain... just like Smith. They would be comparable. And the Star Wars prequels blow more chunks than the Matrix sequels could ever dream of.

But I predict your insistence that the Matrix sequels were actually good. That I want to hear about. Aside from the Merovingian (Reloaded only) and Monica Belluci's neckline, I can't think of anything in either sequels that can be called good. The philosophy is babble and makes no sense, the special effects are no longer novel (the awe of bullet-time was used up in the first film), the characters are so effing boring, and the plot is just convoluted and... dumb. I can't think of a more accurate word (especially for Revolutions).

And Smith isn't sinister, clever, or threatening... he's hilarious! He spouts the same nonsense that the Oracle and Architect do, he grins and guffaws like a retard, and that "climax" (I couldn't put enough quotations around that word if I tried) fight in Revolutions looks like garbage compared to the first film's. I couldn't stop laughing at all the stupid clones standing around with that same Billy Idol-esque sneer on their faces. Nor at the slow-mo face-squishing. Nor at the ridiculous way Smith breaks out of the ground and floats in the air like a DBZ character. It was funny. But by God, it was stupid.

Throw in the stick-in-the-mud protagonists, who are all unlikable, boring, and full of the same bland and/or shitty dialogue as everyone else, and what's left? The cascade of CGI, Lucas-style? The utterly meaningless battle for Zion that drags on forever and ultimately meant nothing to the story's resolution? The forced and contrived love stories? The switcharoo they pulled on Morpheus' personality during that scene in Reloaded? MACHINES? The pointless half-orgy of androgynous bronze people?

I'm honestly at a loss to think of anything interesting, or even all that entertaining about the Matrix sequels. Cartoon Smith, French people, boobs, and digital orgasms aside, of course.

Ewoks using small sticks to bludgeon an Elite Furustic Military Squad with advanced armor and laser powered weaponry.

WBrLHMCTDAA

Lord Lucien
I know. Hilarious and stupid, right? But there's more of an emotional connection to those Ewoks than to anyone in the Matrix sequels. I actually care (as much as can be cared with films) when Ewoks, and Yoda, and Vader die. Or when Han is frozen. Or when Luke sees his aunt and uncle dead in the sand. Or when they celebrate at the end of ANH and RotJ.

I couldn't care less about anyone or anything in the Matrix sequels. Which is my point. I stress emotional connection between audience and film more than plot or effects. And for that you need developed characters with depth and personality to them. The Matrix (sequels) people tend to stick with one note. And they and the film are boring for it. It's exactly what happened to the SW prequels--albeit on a more egregious scale.

Ridley_Prime
Just because you didn't care about anyone in the Matrix sequels doesn't mean others weren't emotionally struck when Trinity died or other parts like that.

Silent Master
Star Wars has stood the test of time far better.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Just because you didn't care about anyone in the Matrix sequels doesn't mean others weren't emotionally struck when Trinity died or other parts like that. No, but incidentally I was discussing my opinion.

Also: why??

Dolos
I know. Hilarious and stupid, right? But there's more of an emotional connection to those Ewoks than to anyone in the Matrix sequels. I actually care (as much as can be cared with films) when Ewoks, and Yoda, and Vader die. Or when Han is frozen. Or when Luke sees his aunt and uncle dead in the sand. Or when they celebrate at the end of ANH and RotJ.

I couldn't care less about anyone or anything in the Matrix sequels. Which is my point. I stress emotional connection between audience and film more than plot or effects. And for that you need developed characters with depth and personality to them. The Matrix (sequels) people tend to stick with one note. And they and the film are boring for it. It's exactly what happened to the SW prequels--albeit on a more egregious scale.

How old are you?

I was still under age 10 when I saw Revolutions, so I wasn't as concerned with Teddy bears as I was with a hot chick in leather, but I still wasn't old enough of to be desensitized by the violence and death and hadn't seen enough films to be tired of those sorts of plot twists.

I think you were that old, which was why Star Wars will always hold more nastalgia for you until you open your mind.

Lord Lucien
I've seen the Matrix sequels probably a dozen times, and can't in all honestly say that I think they are "good" films. Entertaining, sure. But a stupid, mindless, kind of entertainment. I see no quality in the characters or plot, and even the famed martial arts scenes tend to drag (in the case of Revolutions, they're just plain bland). Neo's fight with Smith in #1 was dirty, brutal, well-timed, and just the right length. The movie built up to it very well, and had been sparing with the fight scenes up until then--most had been quick and/or training. So when it came time for the big showdown, the fighting didn't feel overstayed and fatigued, and the dynamic between the two characters was more pronounced. With the Sequels, it was just fight after fight after fight after fight after fight, with little to no emotional investment from the characters, and thus none for the audience.

Do you see what I mean? It's not about the fight scenes or the lightsabers, it's not about the robots and the CGI, it's not about the leather and Natalie Portman's midriff... for me, it's about the character and the story. The rest are just compliments. Because the Matrix sequels failed to create relatable/likable characters, and a coherent/logical story for them to follow, no amount of compliments gratuitously shoved in to the running time will save them.

Dolos
Did you not say earlier that you thought the fight with Neo and the Smith army was cool?

Anyway it's a long time ago.

I remember finding the Animatrix in a weird part (anime) of a video store when I about 8 or 9, I watched the Second Renaiassance and some of the other scenes...I thought that was the coolest sh*t of all time.

Though the Machines tearing apart people and that scene where you see everyone hospitalized after the battle in the Second Rennaissance Part II, that kinda bothered me for a while.

Lord Lucien
The Neo/Clones fight was cool for about a minute, then it dragged. But again, dumb, mindless action scenes as stand alones don't a good movie make.

The only part of the Animatrix I saw was the background to the Machine uprising. I liked that--the mythology of fictional worlds is usually pretty good, regardless of the actual story. Even Twilight has a neat premise, but for the atrocious characters.

Dr Will Hatch
Star Wars by far.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Matrix. The first film is a sci fi action masterpiece. The other two...eh, but the first movie picks up the slack by far.

Star Wars just has a much better, grander mythology that I'm more into. There's so many stories you can tell in the SW Universe that aren't space opera: be it political, hard sci fi, fantasy, comedy, Lovecraftian horror(some of the weirder aliens look like Cthulhu), etc. The Matrix just has it's one story.

Darth Martin
Ehhh Star Wars is cool and all but it's too silly for me today. Chewbacca, R2-D2, C-3PO, etc. Hell, it doesn't help that the main protagonist in Luke is a pansy.

Not saying The Matrix is better but it's probably closer than most make it seem. The Emperor is the only good thing about ROTJ. Darth Vader is the shit though.

I am one of the few that happen to like The Matrix Reloaded.

Sadako of Girth
Star Wars.

Luke goes from pansy to badass.
Its the transformation that the heroes journey brings out.
Neo starts as a wooden acting guy and ends that way.

The SW trilogy has a better story arc and characters. And was as grandiose with its scope and special effects and had a better score etc.

Darth Martin
Badass? Oh you must have meant the transition Neo went through.

A badass Luke surely wasn't. Having the term applied to him is an overstatement.

quanchi112
Luke was anything but a badass. That's downright laughable.

Lord Lucien
Neo became a badass over one film. Luke became... confident over three films. But he was never a badass.

The_Tempest
That's because the great Darth Sidious had cornered the market on badassery. God, what a flawless combination of intellect, charisma, and unlimited power.

Darth Martin
Vader will always be the epitome of badass on any medium.

Tarkin and Palpatine are cool though.

Lord Lucien
Vader is Star Wars' badass. Lando is it's pimp. C-3PO is it's queer. Han is it's Man. Leia is it's sex symbol. Luke is it's everyman. And Palpatine is it's Joker.

Darth Martin
Lucas ****ed up when he killed Darth Maul. Imagine an Episode 3 fight with him and Anakin for the battle of the Dark Lord of the Sith title. I mean I like Tyranus but damn Maul was something else.

Sadako of Girth
What I meant was that there was not one Power convertors rant in Jedi. Fact.

And there were zero tears when he got his hand cut off in ESB. Also fact.

You could look at Luke at the start of ANH and at the end of ROTJ and see from his expression, demeanour in addition to his appearance and see the journey's effect on the person who went through it. Reeves appears to be just as expressionally challenged as he is in the 1st movie and doesnt really seem to have changed as much as Skywalker. And Anakin certainly changed a bit from TPM to ROTJ, didn't he....

The mythology and universe of SW is both massive in scope but in a way that the strorytelling touched humanity and universally relatable themes, but also was placed in a epically solid trilogy.

The Matrix arguebly never had that distinction due to the iffy sequels and feeling like we were watching a souless and in places dodgily acted CGI computergame through most of it, but for all the wrong reasons... (Not something I apply so much as criticism towards the 1st Matrix movie..that was really good.)

Darth Martin
FSWiMoO8zNE

Pussy.

Sadako of Girth
Dramatic? Yes.
A pussy? No.

Takes balls to jump off of that ledge to whatever may lay below.

I'd say he took it quite well. smile

NemeBro
Vader is Star Wars' badass. Lando is it's pimp. C-3PO is it's queer. Han is it's Man. Leia is it's sex symbol. Luke is it's everyman. And Palpatine is it's Joker.

Vader is a weak-willed pussy.

He was always a weak-willed pussy, butthurt OTfags just refuse to acknowledge it.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Dramatic? Yes.
A pussy? No.

Takes balls to jump off of that ledge to whatever may lay below.

I'd say he took it quite well. smile

Yup, what this guy said. thumb up

*swings from Sadako's nuts*

Darth Martin

He was always a weak-willed pussy, butthurt OTfags just refuse to acknowledge it.

http://www.blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/assets_c/2010/05/walker-thumb-500x310-21269.jpg

Lord Lucien

He was always a weak-willed pussy, butthurt OTfags just refuse to acknowledge it. Darn tootin' I do.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.