The Cast Thread of EP VII

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Slowpoke
Tell us the era/story you want to see as the plot of EP VII then give the cast.

Great Sith War

Ulic Qel-Droma: Cannot find a good one yet, maybe someone new.

Exar Kun: Jude Law

Nomi Sunstrider: Kate Beckinsale

Cay Qel-Droma: Chris Evans

Aleema Keto: January Jones

Satal Keto:Tom Hiddleston

Master Arca: Ian McKellen

Freedon Nadd: Ralph Fiennes

Queen Amanoa:Helena Bonham Carter

King Ommin: Anthony Hopkins

KOTOR 2

The Exiled: Mia Wasikowska

Atris: Diane Kruger

Darth Sion: Tom Hanks

Darth Nihilus: Ralph Fiennes

Darth Traya: Cate Blanchett

focus4chumps
eh...naaa.

HyperStream
Wow... just.... wow.... NO. Sadly it's people like you who populate Hollywood and constantly ruin shit.

focus4chumps
no. this cant be serious.

Originally posted by Slowpoke
Tom Hanks

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhmlqnyALU1qhusv0o1_250.gif

Sadako of Girth
SO the original has Cushing and Guiness....aside from that it was new talent that would then be identified with that role afterwards.
Ford to everyone was Han Solo (at the time)... Fisher was Leia.. Skywalker was played by the relatively unknown Hamill.. they became synonymous and primarily associated with their SW roles..
(Ford was unique being able to be Indy and Deckard too, but when you see Carrie Fisher in The Blues Brothers she is 'Leia cameoing' to an extent in the mind of the viewer....)

But with maximum respect to Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman: They were Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman playing characters and we were aware of it.. They were long established and known actors and the feeling of watching actors from our galaxy kinda took away from the "A galaxy far far away" thing that made the original such a believable 'escape to another galaxy' experience.

To cast the newer films with A, B or whatever list known celebs would just make these matters worse.

Slowpoke
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
SO the original has Cushing and Guiness....aside from that it was new talent that would then be identified with that role afterwards.
Ford to everyone was Han Solo (at the time)... Fisher was Leia.. Skywalker was played by the relatively unknown Hamill.. they became synonymous and primarily associated with their SW roles..
(Ford was unique being able to be Indy and Deckard too, but when you see Carrie Fisher in The Blues Brothers she is 'Leia cameoing' to an extent in the mind of the viewer....)

But with maximum respect to Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman: They were Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman playing characters and we were aware of it.. They were long established and known actors and the feeling of watching actors from our galaxy kinda took away from the "A galaxy far far away" thing that made the original such a believable 'escape to another galaxy' experience.

To cast the newer films with A, B or whatever list known celebs would just make these matters worse.

No, Ewan was far from well known outside of Britain when he was chosen to portray Obi Wan in TPM, most of his famous works came after TPM. And Natalie Portman was only 15 or 16 when she played Padme in TPM, the only famous work before that was Leon, she was a little girl.

Slowpoke
Originally posted by focus4chumps
no. this cant be serious.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhmlqnyALU1qhusv0o1_250.gif

Yeah, I want to see him play a zombie like Sith Lord. big grin

focus4chumps
...tom hanks no expression

Lord Lucien
No, Ewan was far from well known outside of Britain when he was chosen to portray Obi Wan in TPM, most of his famous works came after TPM. And Natalie Portman was only 15 or 16 when she played Padme in TPM, the only famous work before that was Leon, she was a little girl. Trainspotting for Ewan? And Leon or Mars Attacks for Portman... who was 17-18?

EDIT: Also... Jude Law in Star Wars? That'd be a bigger miscast than... Samuel Jackson in Star Wars. Chris Evans? January Jones? Tom Hiddleton? A bunch of OK actors from the comic movies? Ugh, no. Round up a cast of unknowns and newcomers. It'll feel less like a Hollywood jerk off session that way.

focus4chumps
not to mention leon: the professional which was huge.

Lord Lucien
not to mention leon: the professional which was huge. I-I said that...

focus4chumps
i-i missed it. th-thanks f-for p-p-p-pointing it out.

Slowpoke
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Trainspotting for Ewan? And Leon or Mars Attacks for Portman... who was 17-18?

EDIT: Also... Jude Law in Star Wars? That'd be a bigger miscast than... Samuel Jackson in Star Wars. Chris Evans? January Jones? Tom Hiddleton? A bunch of OK actors from the comic movies? Ugh, no. Round up a cast of unknowns and newcomers. It'll feel less like a Hollywood jerk off session that way.

Oh one good movie-long established role? And that's nothing compare to Alec before SW. Also Ewan's Obi Wan's performance is good overall. Most of the fans didn't have too much problem with it.

Natile was 17 when she shot TPM, she had a role in Mars Attacks but it was not big, she was only 12 or 13 when she shot Leon.

Actually people were mostly attacking the newest face in the prequel-Hayden rather than these stars.

LotR also had many well known actors but we don't have a problem with it because they fit the role well.

focus4chumps
ok but portman and mcgregor were factually world famous.

Slowpoke
ok but portman and mcgregor were factually world famous.

Ewan is not really well-known, 1 high-gross movie is not enough.

Natile is mostly well known for Leon, which she was only 13 at most.

Lord Lucien
No one really "acted" in TPM, they just kind of... talked. And the hate for Hayden I never understood. Out of all the emotionless, bland characters on screen, his was the least so IMO. He looked like he was trying to do something with the crap Lucas gave him. Lol I always love watching McGregor's performance in RotS--he just looks like he said "f*ck it" and went with whatever.

LotR also had many well known actors but we don't have a problem with it because they fit the role well. That was also a sword and sorcery fantasy epic, a different style altogether than Star Wars.

i-i missed it. th-thanks f-for p-p-p-pointing it out. Don't mock my sssss-t-t-t-t-tuttering.

focus4chumps
Ewan is not really well-known, 1 high-gross movie is not enough.

that THAT al pacino!

Natile is mostly well known for Leon, which she was only 13 at most.

i still dont get what this is supposed to prove.

Slowpoke
Because the prequel Anakin was way too different than OT's Vader and the story indeed had some problem, EP III is mostly good except Hayden's voice is a bit..well, naive as Darth Vader, they really should use the novel's dialog.

Slowpoke

That was also a sword and sorcery fantasy epic, a different style altogether than Star Wars.

I don't get it, a fantasy epic is fine with stars but SW must use new faces?

Mark, Carrie and Harrison succeeded not because they were new, but the movie was well done and the role fit them well.

Slowpoke
that THAT al pacino!

i still dont get what this is supposed to prove.

You compare God Father with Trainspotting?

Sure they got some well-known movies but they were far from big star and their performance in the prequel is overall ok.

focus4chumps
You compare God Father with Trainspotting?

you just said that one hit movie does not make a star well known.

maybe you have a bias for italians?

Slowpoke
you just said that one hit movie does not make a star well known.

maybe you have a bias for italians?

Godfather is not just "good" it's epic. It's also one Oscar winning movie, Al Pacino also was nominated for best supporting actor. Did Ewan get nominated for such big award?

Many criticism on the prequel made little sense, but I've yet to seen someone say Ewan was a reason because people already know him in Trainspotting.

focus4chumps
Godfather is not just "good" it's epic. It's also one Oscar winning movie, Al Pacino also was nominated for best supporting actor. Did Ewan get nominated for such big award?

so the academy is the yardstick for what is successful? did you know that martin scorcese did not win his first oscar until 2007?

anyway the trainspotting screenplay was nominated for an oscar.

from wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trainspotting_(film)#Awards

Slowpoke
so the academy is the yardstick for what is successful? did you know that martin scorcese did not win his first oscar until 2007?

anyway the trainspotting screenplay was nominated for an oscar.

I'm just saying Trainspotting is not enough to make him a big star that's all. Most of Ewan's famous works came after TPM, and his role in Trainspotting was totally different than TPM's Obi Wan.

Most importantly, did Ewan's role in Trainspotting make his Obi Wan or the Prequel bad because some viewers already know him? If not, I don't think it's necessary to continue this because it's not really related to the topic.

Lord Lucien
I don't get it, a fantasy epic is fine with stars but SW must use new faces?

Mark, Carrie and Harrison succeeded not because they were new, but the movie was well done and the role fit them well. It would be better if Star Wars used new faces, is what I'm saying. At least as the leads. The only lead character in LotR that was a big ass name at the time was Ian McKellan. And with an ensemble cast, attention was split between many characters. All the leads in the OT were unknowns at the time.

The only unknown leads in the PT were the Anakin actors. Neeson, McGregor, and Portman were recognized. It's much easier to become lost in the world and story when you're not constantly aware of the fact that Oscar Schindler is sucking balls, or the little girl from Leon is trying to convince me she's a decent actor post-puberty. LotR had the advantage of being an epic--a very large, sweeping story across a giant land with huge sets and thousands of people on screen at once. Star Wars never was (even if the PT may have tried to be).

focus4chumps
ok, but again he was an instant star. shifting the goal post and saying he wasnt he BIGGEST. STAR. EVAAAAAARRR!!! does not alter the fact that he was an instant celebrity.

it was a hip film for the time, everyone thought he was a terrific actor and the chicks went ga-ga over him.

i posted all these awards he was nominated for, showed you that it earned mention at even the snooty oscars, and still you combat me on this simple point which has been squashed. he was famous right out of the gate.

Lord Lucien
ok, but again he was an instant star. shifting the goal post and saying he wasnt he BIGGEST. STAR. EVAAAAAARRR!!! does not alter the fact that he was an instant celebrity.

it was a hip film for the time, everyone thought he was a terrific actor and the chicks went ga-ga over him. You should probably quote who you're talking to.

focus4chumps

Most importantly, did Ewan's role in Trainspotting make his Obi Wan or the Prequel bad because some viewers already know him? If not, I don't think it's necessary to continue this because it's not really related to the topic.

not at all. i found him to be, at some points, one of the only redeeming elements of the PT. however your point that he wasnt famous before SW is false.

You should probably quote who you're talking to.

you got mad, didnt you? and then you were like "...oh"

Slowpoke
It would be better if Star Wars used new faces, is what I'm saying. At least as the leads. The only lead character in LotR that was a big ass name at the time was Ian McKellan. And with an ensemble cast, attention was split between many characters. All the leads in the OT were unknowns at the time. The only unknown leads in the PT were the Anakin actors. Neeson, McGregor, and Portman were recognized. It's much easier to become lost in the world and story when you're not constantly aware of the fact that Oscar Schindler is sucking balls, or the little girl from Leon is trying to convince me she's a decent actor post-puberty. LotR had the advantage of being an epic--a very large, sweeping story across a giant land with huge sets and thousands of people on screen at once. Star Wars never was (even if the PT may have tried to be).

Elijah Wood, as the most important character of LotR played a few well known movies since his childhood, I didn't think about Huck Finn or Leo Biederman when I watched LotR. Sean Bean also played quite a few roles before this. Not to say the supporting roles like Hugo, Liv, Cate and Lee.

Well I didn't have because the makeup and clothes of Qui Gon is totally different than Schindler and surely not his Dark Man. Also GL said Liam is like Alec in the OT, did you think the old Obi Wan was Nicholson or Tarkin is Van Helsing?

And movie with stars as lead could success like TDK, because the roles fit them well.

The Great Sith War is very epic, a lot of battles throughout the story. I also left Ulic, the leading role there.

Slowpoke
Actually TPM had a few stars but it also got quite a few unknown faces like Jake Lloyd, Ray Park, Ian was mostly a stage actor and he wore heavy makeup in OT. Not sure about Pernilla August.

I think Ralph Fiennes would fit Exar Kun perfectly if he was 20 years younger like when he was playing Goeth in Schindler's list, but he's too old now so I guess Nadd would fit him.

Lord Lucien
I don't want to see the face of Lord Voldemort become the face of another evil Dark Lord. I don't want to see the face of Gandalf become the face of another wise old magic man. I don't want to see the face of Galadriel playing another wise, mysterious magic woman. I don't want to see the face of Captain America playing another daring hero setting out to do justice and the right thing. And I certainly don't want to see Tom F*cking Hanks playing a Scottish undead Sith Corpse. If these actors have to be in these films, I want them doing roles that they haven't already done, something we wouldn't expect from them (as an aside, Tom Hanks does not belong in Star Wars ever). I want to see something similar to Ulrich von Lichtenstein becoming the Joker. Just because an actor has pulled off one kind of roll, doesn't mean they should be re-cast in that mold every time it pops up. That would be repetitive.

I also don't want my immersion in to a brand new alien universe to be interrupted with the faces of Hollywood's most popular elite. Peter Cushing had one secondary role, in one movie, then he was gone. Alec Guinness had one secondary role that diminished with every movie. Liam Neeson and Natalie Portman were in my face forever. Samuel "Bad Motherf*cker" Jackson played a secondary role that only increased in screen time as the series progressed. But Christopher Lee? Saruman? His was perfect. Secondary villain who shows up for like 45 minutes, total. Granted his character sucked, but Scaramanga's face wasn't interrupting a galaxy far far away every other scene. Oscar Schindler was.

Slowpoke
Voldemort was hardly recognizable as Ralph because he is noseless, and Ralph already played several famous villains before HP. Also, Darth Traya is totally different than Galadriel. Cay is just a secondary role and not a big hero like CA. Master Arca also died pretty early. Supporting roles like Master Arca and Traya is good to be played by experienced actors.

Well Tom Hanks didn't play zombie like villain before so I want to see him try one.

axel_jovan
Here's my take, no surprise here:

Great Sith War:

Ulic Qel-Droma: Ben Affleck

Cay Qel-Droma: Matt Damon

Exar Kun: Lorenzo Lamas

Nomi Sunstrider: Eva Green

Aleema Keto: Charlize Theron

Satal Keto: Jeremy Irons

Master Arca: Bruce Willis

Freedon Nadd: Alan Rickman

Queen Amanoa: Robin Williams

King Ommin: Al Pacino

KOTOR 2:

The Exile: Mila Kunis

Atris: Uma Thurman

Darth Sion: Vin Diesel

Darth Nihilus: The Rock

Darth Traya: Penelope Cruz

Bonus:
Darth Revan: Justin Timberlake

focus4chumps
Originally posted by axel_jovan

Great Sith War:

KOTOR 2:

Bonus:

http://i53.tinypic.com/vrvh8z.jpg

axel_jovan
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Haters_04776f_745902.jpg

FistOfThe North
robert pattinson expressed interest. but don't pick him, disney. ok?

Lord Lucien
What's wrong with Robert Pattinson? He'd be a great choice for the new trilogy's main character. I can see him already taking on the role of Luke Skywalker's promising yet troubled Jedi son, Austen Skywalker, conflicted over his strange feelings for his sexy Dark Jedi cousin, Miley Solo.

Jedi Sheriff

Great Sith War:

KOTOR 2:

Bonus:

Are you joking? Or did you think this would be a thread about who should deffo not be in it? The Rock? Vin Diesel? Not that I hate these guys but they don't belong in SW. Why the massive lists of mega famous faces? I don't think that would work, you might as well say Mel Gibson, Chloe Grace Moretz, Michael Fassbender, Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini, Gillian Anderson and One Direction!

Jedi Sheriff
Oh wait, I just saw Timberlake on that post. It was a joke.

DARTH POWER
not at all. i found him to be, at some points, one of the only redeeming elements of the PT. however your point that he wasnt famous before SW is false.

He was hardly Semi-Famous. I'm British and I only knew him as "the guy from trainspotting.." thinking that's an odd choice for Obi-Wan Kenobi.

He was definitely more famous in the UK than around the world though.

Same with Natalie Portman. She was hardly semi-famous. It's not like she was some famous kid-actress because of Leon or well known from Mars Attacks.

axel_jovan
Originally posted by Jedi Sheriff
Oh wait, I just saw Timberlake on that post. It was a joke.
And Robin Williams as Queen Amanoa doesn't bother you, huh? big grin

Lord Lucien
If he can do Doubtfire...

axel_jovan
tru dat.

Jedi Sheriff
And Robin Williams as Queen Amanoa doesn't bother you, huh? big grin

Yeah, didn't see that one. I was busy venting at the other choices.

axel_jovan
Yeah, don't wory about it, man.
Apparently, I've got carried away with the whole trolling smile

Jedi Sheriff
I think the problem with this thread is that everyone seems to want COMPLETE unknowns to be in the new movies, yet how are we to speculate who might chosen? I agree with having a core of RELATIVE unknowns, the main 5 or 6 characters say, but don't forget, Alec Guiness and Peter Cushing were huge stars and legend has it that Orson Welles was offered the role of Darth Vader (voice). Also, I think until we get some semblance of a plot and we hear about some of the characters, nobody can really know what direction Disney plan to take with the new movies. They may want to fill it with established stars (Let's be honest, they'll probably be lined up around the block.) or cast a bunch of kids like it's High School Musical In Space. IMO, they should go for a core cast of a few people who you may recognise slightly, and add a supporting cast of somewhat more established names, of course there'll most likely be a boat load of cameos as well.

focus4chumps
well, yes it is a pointless thread. apart from one or two big/semi-big names, and old characters returning (luke/leia/han/wedge?/lando?, etc), it will most likely follow the old formula of hiring upstarts.

i think there were 2 relevant posts in this whole thread. one being the OP and the other being the TP (troll post)

Robtard
...tom hanks no expression

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5028/darthhanks.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.