How Ep XII affects EU

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CaedusRules
So with Disneys purchase of the SW universe, and the announcement of Episode 7, 8, and 9 I'm asking myself how this is going to effect the EU. I have read that the new film will be an Original Story, which to me meant it will not continue the characters stories of the first 6 movies. However, earlier today on den of geek I read that the next trilogy will be the final part of the original saga. In fact Lucas had lunch with Hamel and Fisher and told them about the next trilogy. DOG goes on to speculate that the series will involve Luke Skywalker, but maybe not Hamel.

Ok. So after setting the above plot, I have to ask how this is going to affect the EU? Is Disney and Lucas going to deficate on everything written over the last almost 30 years? Are they going to somehow work these movies into the EU? For example, making sure Leia and Han get married, and have 3 kids still, but the story of which will be covered in the movies instead of the novel "the courtship fo princess leia".

Or will Disney now work with Marvel, and thier book publisher to develop an all new EU. Starting over from scratch. A pro for this is we will have another 20-30 years to read about Luke and the group where as Delrey is wrapping up thier story. Con is everything over the last 30 years is.... well... pointless.

Or maybe there can be a way to start a new EU while keeping the one we fell in love with valid. Like after the sword of the Jedi trilogy, we can have a final trilogy that somehow travels back in time to just after ROTJ and changes something that creates an alternate existance and that could lead us into ep 7, and the new timeline. Maybe have Anakin sit on the throne of balance after being redeemed by Luke, thus resolving the conflict of the next 30 years in our current EU.

So tell me how you feel about this, and any possible ideas you have.

Mizukage Yoda
I'd want an alternate universe EU. Like one where Anakin doesn't turn to the Dark Side/ no Order 66 but the Sith Empire, returns yet again to duke it out with the Jedi in all out war. :drool

DARTH POWER
Simple answer. It will almost certainly destroy all Eu post ROTJ.

However that can always live on as an alternate timeline sequel to ROTJ.

End of the day nothing post Jedi will be created by Lucas anyway.

GenomeFrozener
They annouced new movies? What in the...

Pwned
From what I hear, they are about Jacen and Jaina.

Ascendancy
Originally posted by GenomeFrozener
They annouced new movies? What in the...
You where have been?

TheOneOfMortis
Form the toher thread:

lol youre crazy bro. The Avengers was nowhere near as good as any of the SW movies, even in how epic they are or the fight scenes and battles but certainly the emotional impact, where Star Wars tells a serious, emotional story with actual characters aND AVENGERS... doesnt./.

edit - Seriously since when did people start taking these marvel comicbook movies seriously? Its a joke to even suggest that anything in avengers has more emotional impact than even a second of any of the star wars movies.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by TheOneOfMortis
Form the toher thread:

lol youre crazy bro. The Avengers was nowhere near as good as any of the SW movies, even in how epic they are or the fight scenes and battles but certainly the emotional impact, where Star Wars tells a serious, emotional story with actual characters aND AVENGERS... doesnt./.

edit - Seriously since when did people start taking these marvel comicbook movies seriously? Its a joke to even suggest that anything in avengers has more emotional impact than even a second of any of the star wars movies. http://nextlol.com/images/2945-obvious-troll-is-obvious.jpg

TheOneOfMortis
How is I the troll when you were just as disrespectful about SW as I was about the Avengers, and this is SW subforums?

edit - Pixar's films were great and had some real touching moments but the Avengers is a silly little comicbook action movie with terrible storyline and poor characters, simnilar to for example the Transformers films.

TheOneOfMortis
SW PT actually had touching story about the fall of such a legendary iconic figure as Darth Vader and was a great story about friendship and romance and behind the scenes plotting and scheming with great space battles and lightsaber duels to boot. Avenegrs is not a 1/10th of the movie that the star wars pt trilogy is, and is just a silly little action movie about an alien invasion with virtually no storyline and nothing going for it exept witty and humerous dialogue.

GenomeFrozener
How is I the troll when you were just as disrespectful about SW as I was about the Avengers, and this is SW subforums?

edit - Pixar's films were great and had some real touching moments but the Avengers is a silly little comicbook action movie with terrible storyline and poor characters, simnilar to for example the Transformers films.

At least he stays on topic, this is a forum about Star Wars not Avengers.

TheOneOfMortis
I am referring to a statement he made about Avenegrs, I did not bring up the topic of the Avengers.

CaedusRules
So has there been any statements from Disney or Delrey about how these movies are going to affect future novels, and the cannon of the past novels?

CaedusRules
I am referring to a statement he made about Avenegrs, I did not bring up the topic of the Avengers.

Avengers was good, star trek is better, star wars was great. They are all better then Twilight.

Now back to EU topic..

TheOneOfMortis
Originally posted by CaedusRules
Avengers was good, star trek is better, star wars was great. They are all better then Twilight.

Now back to EU topic..

I can agree with this. big grin (though emphasis on just "good" for avengers, nothing more, nothing less)

Jedi Sheriff
They'll do their own thing and disregard the EU. They may put some sneaky things in the movies that fans of the EU could spot, like referencing character names or places, things like that. Like a journalist never lets the truth get in the way of a good story, Disney wont limit themselves to what they can write by trying to adhere to the EU.

TheOneOfMortis
Bantha got your tail Lucien?

Nai
Originally posted by CaedusRules
So with Disneys purchase of the SW universe, and the announcement of Episode 7, 8, and 9 I'm asking myself how this is going to effect the EU. I have read that the new film will be an Original Story, which to me meant it will not continue the characters stories of the first 6 movies. However, earlier today on den of geek I read that the next trilogy will be the final part of the original saga. In fact Lucas had lunch with Hamel and Fisher and told them about the next trilogy. DOG goes on to speculate that the series will involve Luke Skywalker, but maybe not Hamel.

First: "7" as roman number is "VII" and not "XII" which would be "12".
Second: The guy is still called Hamill, not "Hamel", the latter being a river in Germany.

That aside: Lucas is writing some post-RotJ stuff, as it seems, but considering, that apparently, he thinks about some of the original characters reappearing, we can determine the timeline of Ep. 7 to be roughly 30 years post RotJ, which is a blind spot in EU between the Yuuzhan Vong war (NJO) and the Swarm War (Dark Nest Trilogy) at the moment. That aside: Even with popular characters returning, Lucas can fill an entire Galaxy with new characters, which might serve as protagonists for his new movies. So he just has to look after events on a galactic scale (destruction through Yuuzhan Vong, probably Swarm War) and not much else. He can also just use the characters already present in the EU and tell new stories featuring them.

Personally, I think, what we are going to see is a story featuring entirely new protagonist with well established characters appearing as well, to help the "old" fans accept the "new" stuff.

I don't see any reason for the post-RotJ EU being affected much by new Star Wars movies. Lucas has an entire Galaxy to fill with new heroes and villains and I don't see any former major characters appearing as protagonists of the new trilogy. He can even make up an entirely new story, that can fit well into the established canon, if you think about the possibilites a Galaxy as background offers to a narrator.

That aside: Changing too much of the established canon will piss of the fans quite a lot. In terms of the SW universe, the EU was always very important in comparison to other movies / shows (e.g. Star Trek). Lucas has even adopted a lot of things from the EU into his original work.

I'm rather sure this won't happen. It doesn't make sense from a market economy perspective: Disney bought a well working product with well established characters, histories, storylines. Why change anything of that, if you can just add new perspectives to the franchise? I remember, that when Lucas talked about a Star Wars TV show first, he was thinking of featuring minor characters - and then he brought us Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The point being: Why shouldn't he / or Disney for that matter, go on with already established characters that can be easily adopted for new media. Keep the old fans and add new ones. That makes far more sense than destroying the previously established canon.

You really think that the guy who thinks, that fans of the series can't tell two people apart, because the have the same first name (Anakin Skywalker / Anakin Solo), will attempt to sell those same fans a story featuring alternate timelines?

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Nai

I don't see any reason for the post-RotJ EU being affected much by new Star Wars movies. Lucas has an entire Galaxy to fill with new heroes and villains and I don't see any former major characters appearing as protagonists of the new trilogy. He can even make up an entirely new story, that can fit well into the established canon, if you think about the possibilites a Galaxy as background offers to a narrator.

That aside: Changing too much of the established canon will piss of the fans quite a lot. In terms of the SW universe, the EU was always very important in comparison to other movies / shows (e.g. Star Trek). Lucas has even adopted a lot of things from the EU into his original work.

He takes what he like from the eu, then ignores and even contradicts whatever he doesn't like.

Who killed Adi Gallia again? You think no one told Lucas she was already killed by Grievous in the eu? He also made the prophecy in ROTS that the Chosen One destroys the Sith, when he knew the EU showed the Sith to still be alive (even Sidious himself).

He's shown he will contradict and even wipe out parts of the EU if it suits the story.

And tbh I really don't blame him. He had nothing to do with the vast majority of the EU and does not want to or need to limit himself to the EU timeline when writing new stories.

And tbh it works both ways. When Lucas said the Sith and Dark Side were destroyed at the end of ROTJ, did the EU pay attention? No. In fact I believe they introduced even more Sith! And why shouldn't they? It would make post-ROTJ eu pretty boring if they took al Lucas's post ROTJ words as pure canon.

And now it looks as though Lucas will contradict that himself anyway.

Originally posted by Nai
I'm rather sure this won't happen. It doesn't make sense from a market economy perspective: Disney bought a well working product with well established characters, histories, storylines. Why change anything of that, if you can just add new perspectives to the franchise? I remember, that when Lucas talked about a Star Wars TV show first, he was thinking of featuring minor characters - and then he brought us Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The point being: Why shouldn't he / or Disney for that matter, go on with already established characters that can be easily adopted for new media. Keep the old fans and add new ones. That makes far more sense than destroying the previously established canon.

Disney will be much more concerned about just making a great movie than adhering to all the post ROTJ EU events. They won't want to limit themselves and their storytelling like that.

End of the day from a business perspective, the vast majority of money made by SW is not from post Rotj novels and comics is it? And most the fans of that material really wouldn't mind anyway if they get a damn good SW movie.

But having said all that you might still be right. If they do decide to do it in a time largely untouched by the EU then I'm sure they won't go out of their way to contradict it.

juggerman
NVM

Nephthys
SW PT actually had touching story about the fall of such a legendary iconic figure as Darth Vader and was a great story about friendship and romance and behind the scenes plotting and scheming with great space battles and lightsaber duels to boot. Avenegrs is not a 1/10th of the movie that the star wars pt trilogy is, and is just a silly little action movie about an alien invasion with virtually no storyline and nothing going for it exept witty and humerous dialogue.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/02820.gif

This.... is.... motherfvcking.....

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/02821.gif

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/scraps/BlAsPhEmY.gif

Oh, and hai nai

Lord Lucien
Obvious troll may no be troll. May just be potato-head 'stead. Stupid is as stupid does.

DARTH POWER
I hate to agree with the troll, but you guys really think Avengers had a better plot/story than the SW PT?

Avengers plot was - Aliens invading, get all the superheroes together to defend the Earth. In the meantime have the superheroes fight each other.

Don't get me wrong, it was wildly entertaining, mainly because we've not seen superhero action on that scale before.

But in terms of story and plot there are even other superhero movies which are much much better- Nolan's Batman series & X-Men First Class come to mind. Heck even the new Spider-man beats Avengers in that department.

Lord Lucien
Having a plot is worthless without proper execution. A simple, straight forward story can still be leagues above a complicated, emotionally charged, mind-bending story if the latter's execution blows chunks. So yes, the plot of The Avengers is better than the Prequels, if not the concept of the plot.

Though to be honest, the PT is pretty basic and straightforward too: tragic fall of a "hero" amidst turmoil and change.

TheOneOfMortis
It is not even just that Avenegrs plot is simple, it is that it is non-descript, it puts very little focus on scenario design or any aspect of storytelling at all.

The truth is that when you watch the SW PT you watch them as serious movies, when you watch avenegrs you watch it as a popcorn movie, and so your standards for the two based on serious storytelling is vastly different.

I can guarantee you if plot and characters were as non descript for SW PT that fans would be far more outraged.

And neither is the execution for the Avengers all that great, nor is the execution of PT bad at all.

Star WARS PT is simply, the better movies, better storytelling and imo the visuals and action easily beats that in Avengers as well. The fight scenes in SW easily beat those in Avengers, being that they actually designed the elegant dueling and swordplay of the characters, and in Avengers simply squared off random superpowers against eachother in obvious ways, the scenery and landscapes in Star Wars were ebautiful and destroy avengers depiction of earth or the other planet, and the big war battles on space or on land were much better as well.

Avengers is literally only better in one ctagaory and that is if you want humerous dialogue.

TheOneOfMortis
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
the troll

Welcome to my ignore list buddy.,

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Lord Lucien

Though to be honest, the PT is pretty basic and straightforward too: tragic fall of a "hero" amidst turmoil and change.

ROTS was a modern day Macbeth to me.

The main selling point of Avengers was it was something new. We hadn't seen that sort of thing before. Kind of like with LOTR ten years ago and Star Wars back in the 70's and 80's.

But tbh Star Wars and LOTR were far more epic.

Welcome to my ignore list buddy.,

That really hurts me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.