Darth Bane vs Mace Windu vs Starkiller

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rookwood
All Peak versions here.

Setting is the Geonosian Arena.

It's a bat-shit free-for-all.

Who walks away the survivor?

The_Tempest
Which Bane and does he have his orbalisks? Assuming they're two separate people, which Starkiller?

Rookwood
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Which Bane and does he have his orbalisks? Assuming they're two separate people, which Starkiller?

Good questions.

Dynasty of Evil Darth Bane, so no Orbalisks - and Galen's Clone (The Force Unleashed II) I suppose, since I hear he's the more powerful incarnation.

The_Tempest
Well, my initial thoughts:

Starkiller's Force powers are stronger by far than Mace's or Bane's, but he's demonstrably the weakest in lightsaber combat
Mace is probably the weakest in terms of Force use, but possibly the most dangerous duelist: Vaapad would probably give him the win blade-to-blade
Bane is the most balanced fighter, with Force powers beyond Mace and swordsmanship beyond Starkiller

Rookwood

Starkiller's Force powers are stronger by far than Mace's or Bane's, but he's demonstrably the weakest in lightsaber combat
Mace is probably the weakest in terms of Force use, but possibly the most dangerous duelist: Vaapad would probably give him the win blade-to-blade
Bane is the most balanced fighter, with Force powers beyond Mace and swordsmanship beyond Starkiller

Astute points. thumb up

Jinsoku Takai

Yeah, so... who wins?

The_Tempest
If someone would be so kind as to provide some examples of Bane's non-nexus/non-orbalisk Force feats, I'd be appreciative. I've already had to comb through one shitty book (TFU2) and I'd rather not leap into the dismal muck that is Karpyshyn's contribution to the Star Wars franchise.

Ascendancy
If someone would be so kind as to provide some examples of Bane's non-nexus/non-orbalisk Force feats, I'd be appreciative. I've already had to comb through one shitty book (TFU2) and I'd rather not leap into the dismal muck that is Karpyshyn's contribution to the Star Wars franchise.
When on Korriban from Githany's perspective his abilities were beyond anything even the Sith Lord's demonstrated and as shown by the empty tombs later it may have had a pall from the darkside but it wasn't a nexus by any means.

The attacks that he demonstrated while in places of great darkside power were only enhancements of what he could otherwise do.

Rookwood
Hmm.

DARTH POWER

Oh all the variables.. It's just too much!

Good competition though.

Although I'm not really sure if Bane's force powers are beyond Mace. Or if Mace's Saber prowess is beyond Bane for that matter.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Ascendancy
When on Korriban from Githany's perspective his abilities were beyond anything even the Sith Lord's demonstrated and as shown by the empty tombs later it may have had a pall from the darkside but it wasn't a nexus by any means.

Bane notes that the dark side's presence has diminished on Korriban while still referring to it as "a place of great power." But even so, the Temple's architecture is designed to focus what power remains.

Originally posted by Ascendancy
The attacks that he demonstrated while in places of great darkside power were only enhancements of what he could otherwise do.

You have evidence of this?

Pwned
According the the writers, just about every planet is a dark side nexus nowadays. Or has some mega-dark side influence.

Also, the feat Bane has for the rain deflection was not on a nexus, IIRC.

The_Tempest
Very true, so there's one.

Ascendancy
Yeah, but unfortunately that only speaks to saber skills.

That said, if those feats can only be pulled on nexuses, then we're to assume that Bane, Sidious, and others who have pulled off great feats in that way somehow figured out how to manipulate the Force to that extent instantly once they were in the presence of such power and facing combat and then would never be able to repeat them on any scale without being on a nexus. Does that really make any sense?

It said that his Force Necro that he used at Andeddu's temple was only able to be sustained because he was on a nexus, but not that he suddenly discovered that skill there.

As to Korriban, yes, it was a place "strong with the darkside," but it never says that any of the Sith there actually drew on the darkness of the place to enhance their technique. On every nexus/stronghold in any of the series that is something specifically mentioned when Force users are utilizing them.

The_Tempest
If you could actually provide evidence of Bane, Sidious, et al. demonstrating elsewhere the abilities attributed to them on dark side nexuses, then yes, I'd be happy to agree. Until then, what you're asking is nothing short of a dramatic leap in order to make Bane appear less impotent.

The saga is rife with examples of characters possessing abilities on Force nexuses that would otherwise be unavailable to them. KotOR 2 provides two examples: when confronted on Korriban and Malachor V, Sion attributes his quasi-immortality to the presence of the dark side; similarly, Kreia's powers of foresight are enhanced exponentially while at Malachor to the extent that she can peer thousands of years into the future. Sidious disintegrates a lightsaber at whim in Dark Empire while on Byss (and never does so elsewhere) and defeats Luke whereas just a short time later aboard the Eclipse, he loses their duel.

These aren't marginal enhancements by any stretch, but tremendous boosts. The burden is on you to show why we should disregard such critical context.

axel_jovan
In an open area like that, I'm inclined to give the win to SK.

Make it a confined area fight and I'm gonna say probably Mace.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.