Hero Upgrade: Thing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nibedicus
Let's assume that Marvel is taking the FF to space and keeping them there for the long haul. Also, to make things interesting, they make the FF more competitive against "space cheese" characters by introducing upgrades.

They'll be pitting Thing (on occasion) against:
-Ronan-level accusers
-Super Skrulls
-Imperial Guards

What would the most viable (and most "acceptable" for you as a fan) upgrade for Ben?

1) Enhance his Superhuman stats further: They make him upper-level Cl100 (above Rulk/Thor level) and make his stoney hide even more durable (make him "Surfer" durable).
2) Give him new powers to make him versatile: They make him "elemental" in nature. Able to be shattered and reassemble himself. To merge with soil/dirt for camouflage. To shift his form to form melee weapons from his hands. Able to turn himself into "dust particles" and use that form to fly and also as a way to beat opponents who breathe
3) Give him a powerful weapon. Let's say a cosmic blade that gives him flight and energy blast powers.

JakeTheBank
If they upgraded Ben power-wise, it would be at the expense of his character.

*cough*COLOSSUS*cough*

Nibedicus
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
If they upgraded Ben power-wise, it would be at the expense of his character.

*cough*COLOSSUS*cough*

Let's assume that they're going to as a definite. stick out tongue W/c is most preferable/least detestable/makes the most sense?

JakeTheBank
If anything, I could live with Reed giving him some tech or a weapon of some kind (preferably seldomly used). Maybe a slight strength/durability increase. Anything else would just be in detriment to Ben's character.

golem370
One im my opinion Thing has the heart to fight with the Hulks and Thor of Marvel now with his strength being closer and he being more durable would make him a more dangerous Hero.

Badabing
I wouldn't mind Ben being as strong as his future versions have been shown and some added durability.

Sixth_Winged
Pineapple thing looks and strength

+

rockslide rock manipulation

+

Weapon similar to Ulik's pounders or just an enormous sized club

Similar to op's idea

golem370
Thing is a brawler with heart so making him stronger and more durable would be the most logical choice.

DarkSaint85
Upgrading his stats, for me. Making him into a rock elemental, whilst cool sounding, isn't something I'd like. Too...forced.

And the tech, whilst the most plausible, won't be of much use, imho.

pym-ftw
I wouldn't mind some of 2, I want him to have a corporeal body, but if he could amp off the earth i'd be ok with that

Bentley
Thing needs no upgrades.

Existere
Give him a jetpack and an appetite for destruction.

Nibedicus
Originally posted by Bentley
Thing needs no upgrades.

I agree. In fact, it's why I chose him. Lots of people see him as perfect the way he is. Kinda like how a lot of ppl feel that Spiderman is perfect the way he is.

However, the assumption is that Marvel has already DECIDED to introduce an upgrade for Thing.

Let's say that they put together a new arc where they split Ben into 3 personas each with the above upgrade and they let the fans vote on w/c persona's powers is left behind. The purpose of the upgrade is that they're moving the FF to space and the new threats they'll face in space require new powers be introduced (let's assume this logic makes sense to them). stick out tongue

8swords
Thing needs no upgrades.

agreed, but OP wise, i would choose 2. seeing that he already looks elemental in nature, which confuses me why the writers never made him like that in the first place,

1 is kinda a meh, above rulk/thor strength is a bit too much, and he does grow stronger in time right? isnt that already known via his future self?
3 is not a good combination for ben, his signature street fighting style is already great as it is, adding a weapon would just ruin it.

Sixth_Winged
Going rock elemental in power seems the sensible thing to do as others already pointed out about his looks. IMO Rockslide's ability shoud've been Ben's in the first place.

Aside from that, being made from rock as opposed to just having rock-like skin kinda makes it easier for Reed's inability to cure him to valid via suspension of disbelief. Kinda makes it harder to turn back someone from flesh to totally rock.

pym-ftw
After thinking this through more I think 1 is the correct answer if they make home into pineapple thing

The future has to come eventually

Mindship
In Marvel's Silver Age, Ben was considered #2 in the strength line-up, between Hulk and Thor (I recall an old Spider-Man comic, where Spidey's strength was being highlighted by showing him lift a huge barbell, with Hulk, Thing and Thor lined up, watching from the side). This was what made the Thing/Hulk fights so classic: Marvel's two top bricks pounding away, wrecking city streets, etc. If I further recall correctly, even in the WWH arc, Ben said to Hulk something like, You know I'm the one guy that can hurt ya (I always interpreted this an allusion to their Silver Age battles and strength elitism).

But then, the years passed, other muscled-up characters appeared, and Ben gradually got pushed further and further back in the Who's Who of Strength.

So as far as I'm concerned, I'd like to see Ben reclaim his position as Marvel's #2 strongest brick. As in the old days, he can still go up against characters where he has to fight with heart.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Mindship
In Marvel's Silver Age, Ben was considered #2 in the strength line-up, between Hulk and Thor (I recall an old Spider-Man comic, where Spidey's strength was being highlighted by showing him lift a huge barbell, with Hulk, Thing and Thor lined up, watching from the side). This was what made the Thing/Hulk fights so classic: Marvel's two top bricks pounding away, wrecking city streets, etc. If I further recall correctly, even in the WWH arc, Ben said to Hulk something like, You know I'm the one guy that can hurt ya (I always interpreted this an allusion to their Silver Age battles and strength elitism).

But then, the years passed, other muscled-up characters appeared, and Ben gradually got pushed further and further back in the Who's Who of Strength.

So as far as I'm concerned, I'd like to see Ben reclaim his position as Marvel's #2 strongest brick. As in the old days, he can still go up against characters where he has to fight with heart.

This...If anything he needs his number 2# spot back

Endless Mike
Give him ice vision

Horrificus
always thought that if Ben was given some SERIOUS Martial Arts training, for whatever reason, he would be a horribly dangerous opponent.

I'm not just talking about fighting experience. I'm saying, develop skills along the lines of Iron Fist, Daredevil, Taskmaster, etc.

Then, he wouldn't even need a power amp. He would just be plain old BAD.

Here is something I wrote.

Originally posted by Horrificus
I always thought that Ben Grim is one of the most neglected, misused characters in comics. He has the strength street-smarts, experience and toughness to hang with the heavy-weights, (even though he usually ends up getting beat down).

A while ago he was on a track where is was involved in that fighting league and I thought that if they expanded on that and gave him some degree of actual martial arts he would have been a very dangerous opponent for the heavy-weights.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Horrificus
always thought that if Ben was given some SERIOUS Martial Arts training, for whatever reason, he would be a horribly dangerous opponent.

I'm not just talking about fighting experience. I'm saying, develop skills along the lines of Iron Fist, Daredevil, Taskmaster, etc.

Then, he wouldn't even need a power amp. He would just be plain old BAD.

Here is something I wrote.

Martial arts is not his nature...just expand on his boxing skills more

Igniz
Originally posted by Nibedicus
Let's assume that Marvel is taking the FF to space and keeping them there for the long haul. Also, to make things interesting, they make the FF more competitive against "space cheese" characters by introducing upgrades.

They'll be pitting Thing (on occasion) against:
-Ronan-level accusers
-Super Skrulls
-Imperial Guards

What would the most viable (and most "acceptable" for you as a fan) upgrade for Ben?

1) Enhance his Superhuman stats further: They make him upper-level Cl100 (above Rulk/Thor level) and make his stoney hide even more durable (make him "Surfer" durable).
2) Give him new powers to make him versatile: They make him "elemental" in nature. Able to be shattered and reassemble himself. To merge with soil/dirt for camouflage. To shift his form to form melee weapons from his hands. Able to turn himself into "dust particles" and use that form to fly and also as a way to beat opponents who breathe
3) Give him a powerful weapon. Let's say a cosmic blade that gives him flight and energy blast powers.

2 would probably be an uber upgrade for me.Minus the weapons and camou thing though.But the upgrade reminds me a bit of those earthmovers from Avatar.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Martial arts is not his nature...just expand on his boxing skills more

boxing is a martial art

Bentley
Originally posted by CosmicComet
boxing is a martial art

Nah, martial arts are done by asians.

.... eek!

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Mindship
even in the WWH arc, Ben said to Hulk something like, You know I'm the one guy that can hurt ya (I always interpreted this an allusion to their Silver Age battles and strength elitism). then got oneshotted

Tar-Antado
Give him the ability to take off his old rocky, unibrow and use it like a batarang.

Bentley
Originally posted by psycho gundam
then got oneshotted

Hulk himself has admitted that Thing is the one that could stop him.

... Not exactly sure why he would think such a thing but whatever messed

CosmicComet
Ben gets annihilated too beautifully to ever be upgraded into being credible.

He's a wonderful character as is. Getting the utter living shit beat out of him for the sake of his team-mates.

Nibedicus
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Ben gets annihilated too beautifully to ever be upgraded into being credible.

He's a wonderful character as is. Getting the utter living shit beat out of him for the sake of his team-mates.

That would make choice 2 a bit more palatable as this would then allow him to get punched to powder and simply allow him to pick himself up after. stick out tongue

CosmicComet
Well that's fine, so long as he only comes back together unconscious, for hours at a time.

We can't have Ben become too competent and dangerous. It just goes against his nature as the never say die, lovable punching bag.

psycho gundam
Hulk himself has admitted that Thing is the one that could stop him.

... Not exactly sure why he would think such a thing but whatever messed and herculese got that same praise from daddy, however, they both got slurred speech soon after a few knocks upside the head.

so much for those statements

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.