Lucasfilm Confirms "Toy Story 3" writer to write 'Star Wars: Episode VII'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

HyperStream
Lucasfilm Confirms Michael Arndt to write "Episode 7"

This is great news. What a genius call on Disney/Lucasfilm's part honestly, even though he's not a sci fi buff he really doesn't have to be. This new trilogy is going to be F*CKING FUN AS HELL and I seriously can't wait. From what I here Michael is great at reverse engineering ideas into scripts so he's the perfect choice to juggle all of the ideas currently being thrown at him.

roughrider
We know the news. It's being discussed in the thread next to this, already running.

HyperStream
Damn, we really need a new SW section for all the news coming out.

focus4chumps
not really. if im not mistaken this is the de facto sequel trilogy forum until raz decides to show up and make one. there is really nothing to discuss about this news, though. kinda superficial...unless you have leaked screenplay details?

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by focus4chumps
not really. if im not mistaken this is the de facto sequel trilogy forum until raz decides to show up and make one. there is really nothing to discuss about this news, though. kinda superficial...unless you have leaked screenplay details? The good guys win in the end.

Woops. Spoilers.

focus4chumps
ok i take it back. with all the fangirl squeeling thats been going on over jj abrams, everyone seems to be overlooking the most important element (screenplay) and this guy doesnt have much of a relevant or extended portfolio.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1578335/

not saying he's going to suck, but with the ridiculously anal scrutiny over directors, and then all the praise of "OH LAWDY LAWD ITS A MIRACLE!!!" when jj was signed up, i find it odd that an relatively untested writer gets a free pass. newslash: give the world's greatest director a crap script and you end up with a crap film. this guy is a wild card imho and everyone seems irrationally chill over it.

queeq
Abrams and Arndt will surely team up in designing the story.

Sadako of Girth
Will they team up with input from GL?

Kazenji
He might give us gopher jedi's.

Robtard
Arndt's got two solid wins out of three and the other wasn't a fail; was just decent. Seems we're in pretty good shape in the writer department.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by Robtard
two solid wins

OMG TOY STORY!!! HOW RELEVANT!!!

Robtard
OMG TOY STORY!!! HOW RELEVANT!!!

How is his writing in Toy Story 3 not relevant to his writing skills, when it was a very well written script?

focus4chumps
how IS it relevant?

Robtard
how IS it relevant? cos it shows us that he's a talented writer. If we're only going to include star wars-like writers, the writing pool will be pretty shallow.

queeq
With Toy Story 3 Arndt has shown to write a great script for a third installment. Quite an achievement, I'd say.

Sam Mendes did no action movie before he did Skyfall, yet he showed he knew how to tell a dramatic story. Hence, getting Arndt is not a bad idea. A good story is a good story, whether it plays in the past, the future, the present or in a galaxy far far away.

Let's just hope they don't bring it a bunch of other writers. That often is a bad sign.

Imaginary
We know that the PT's biggest flaws weren't in the plot or in its sci-fi credentials, but in the fact that it was written so f*cking badly.

Compare that to the OT, which had a pretty basic hero plot augmented by science fiction, and had great writing. Sci-fi experience does not a good writer make.

Besides, Lawrence Kasdan is apparently back for Episode VIII, so even if VII is a mistake I don't think we can go wrong with the guy who wrote what is easily the best Star Wars film.

queeq
Yup... and he prolly wrote all the excellent bit of ROTJ as well.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.