Ender's Game

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

focus4chumps
surprised there is no thread on this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/

i just needed to post this to point out that col. graffe's (harrison ford) aide will be played by 'han soto'. not kidding.

despite card's battles with hollywood, it seems we will have to deal with post-pubescent ender wiggins. even bean will be 13. other than these inconsistencies, and assuming they proceed based on the book and not some bastardized coming-of-age crap drama, im still looking forward to it.

anyone else give a crap?

Tzeentch._
Ender being not.. 8, or whatever age he was in the book, kind of makes sense. I'm all for accuracy to the source material, but the movie almost definitely would have performed worse if they had made Ender a little kid. Americans are very... squeamish when it comes to stuff like that, unfortunately.

Harrison Ford as Col. Graff is awesome though. Ben Kinglsey as Mazer Rackham is a really interesting choice, though.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Ender being not.. 8, or whatever age he was in the book, kind of makes sense. I'm all for accuracy to the source material, but the movie almost definitely would have performed worse if they had made Ender a little kid. Americans are very... squeamish when it comes to stuff like that, unfortunately.

Harrison Ford as Col. Graff is awesome though. Ben Kinglsey as Mazer Rackham is a really interesting choice, though.

i agree that ben kingsley is perfect for the role. i can easily picture it. cant picture harrison ford as an obese col graff though...but i can live with that.

however i disagree with your point about american audiences not being able to stomach child actors committing homicide...

mb3tu5Wfp34

while its unrealistic to have an 8 year old ender (especially since he was 11 by the time he went to command school), i hoped that card would have achieved his goal of avoiding a post-pubescent actor. oh well.

Robtard
How many 8 year olds could handle the roll? I'm guessing this was a factor in the casting.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by Robtard
How many 8 year olds could handle the roll? I'm guessing this was a factor in the casting.

i dont think anyone would suggest an 8 year old since ender is 11 by the time he gets to command school.

i was hoping for 11-12. may i remind you that both bran and arya from game of thrones were played by actors of that age in season one.

Robtard
Not saying it can't be done, look at Haley Joel Osmet in The Sixth Sense.

But I'd suspect the pool of preteen actors who can handle and carry a lead role, isn't vast, especially one dealing with a war theme and this likely was a factor(not the only factor).

Is there an official reason why they went with a fifteen year old instead?

focus4chumps
probably the exact reason you stated. my only disappointment since they really only needed 2 preteen actors to play ender and bean.

Tzeentch._
Originally posted by focus4chumps
i agree that ben kingsley is perfect for the role. i can easily picture it. cant picture harrison ford as an obese col graff though...but i can live with that.

however i disagree with your point about american audiences not being able to stomach child actors committing homicide...

mb3tu5Wfp34

while its unrealistic to have an 8 year old ender (especially since he was 11 by the time he went to command school), i hoped that card would have achieved his goal of avoiding a post-pubescent actor. oh well. It's not just homicide, though. It's the nature of the violence.

People don't mind stuff like what you posted, or that little girl in True Grit. There's a difference between violence of that nature and the violence you would see in, say, Kickass, where the visceral ass-beatings Hit-Girl was involved in was a point of controversy surrounding the film (several critics even rated it lower than they would have because of it).

Watching 8 year old Ender kill someone quickly and cleanly in self-defense, or out of necessity, is one thing. Showing him violently beat the shit out of, and basically murder in cold blood, other similarly aged children, is something else. I mean the book itself received a massive amount of criticism because of the violence surrounding the kids, and books are generally held to a more forgiving standard.

focus4chumps
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/12/03/fl-enders-game_510x380.jpg

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/12/05/enders-game-exclusive-first-look/

siriuswriter
Oh my GOD! I cannot WAIT till this comes out. I've read the entire Ender's series many times over. I'm sorry that Orson Scott Card didn't get all he wanted, but I agree that if they showed Ender endlessly attacking kids his own age it would be... difficult. With that said, they can easily "camera away" and then tell what happened after the fact.
I mean, that's part of what Earth has turned into. Bean is what... two? when he joins his gang?

I love Scott Card's work - and the picture just potsed - it sort of looks like the bunker...? That's strange, I always imagined the bunker as a darker place. I can't wait to see their computers, the game that they play - OMG, the battles! The descriptions are well done, but still confusing. I can't wait to SEE those things!!

Robtard
I get the impression you're excited for this.

siriuswriter
Naw, really?

focus4chumps
new image of ender and (i presume) petra.

since its a giant image i'll just url it:

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/Enders-Game-Battle-School.jpg

Robtard
Why does future food look unappetizing so often.

Shrank it for you:

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/4489/endersgamebattleschool.jpg

focus4chumps
why do you insist on failing at every little thing?

Robtard
Watch that pretty mouth of yours, cos I can make the pic smaller.

focus4chumps
perhaps you need to internally confront this deliverance rape scene obsession in a healthy and constructive manner.

Robtard
You asked for it:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5728/endersgamebattleschool2.jpg

focus4chumps
they need to post a battleroom shot ffs.

focus4chumps
http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/enders-game-ben-kingsley.jpg

Robtard
Not read the books. Is the character a Maori?

focus4chumps
...seriously?

Tzeentch._
Haven't the read the book in about ten years, myself. I don't remember Rackham having tattoos.

Robtard
...seriously?

Haven't read the book and the story takes place in a fictional futuristic society. So yes.

focus4chumps
trailer coming up may 7. some battle room footage in the anouncement:

0OHtH_RWnZE

focus4chumps
trailer is out vP0cUBi4hwE

not sure i like seeing f-35's at the beginning. i knows its a flashback but wtf. how do we instantly jump from f-35 to battle cruisers?

Robtard

not sure i like seeing f-35's at the beginning. i knows its a flashback but wtf. how do we instantly jump from f-35 to battle cruisers?

That's where the "70 years after a horrific alien war" comes in.

focus4chumps
right but mazor rachum was there commanding battle cruisers at the beginning. remember how everyone was surprised he was still alive since in terms of earth years he was ancient.

Robtard
Not sure who is who exactly, as I've not read the books. I just assumed the "70 years after" was the reason for the technological jump in the preview.

focus4chumps
well you should read it or better yet dl the audiobook

ckakarate1
I agree with 'focus4chumps'

focus4chumps
apparently i'm very good at persuading bots. smile

Robtard
It's the butthole-like mouth of your avvy, it draws them in.

siriuswriter
You really should read the books, or at least Ender's Game. Some of the sequels are pretty weird but my favorite is Xenophobia. Oh, and there's a sort of companion's book to Ender's Game, told from another character's point of view - Ender's Shadow, which is about Bean. But you wouldn't know who Bean is until you read the books. big grin

Robtard
I'm probably going to pick it up for my next read.

focus4chumps
you do that

0MOqoRSWHCs

Corvious
Best fictional book I ever read. Movie looks like its going to dissapoint. Alot of the good things with the book was reading about what Ender thought not just what he did. Have a hard time imagining them showing that very effectinvly on film. But we will see. Nothing like a pleasant surprise.

Patient_Leech
Bunch of clips...

8 Clips

Patient_Leech
Saw this today and was extremely impressed. Great sci-fi film. I haven't read the book yet, but this felt very much like a great novel brought to life. Excellent execution. I love that when the right people get ahold of the technology that is available now things like this can happen. This book probably wouldn't have been possible until the past 5-10 years. Magnificent. I give it 5/5 stars. Wish it was doing better at the Box Office.

It felt very much like a sci-fi version of Harry Potter / Hunger Games / etc.. with even a little (albeit dumbed down) Full Metal Jacket (haha). But it honestly felt better executed than it's young-adult counterparts: better cinematography, direction, acting, etc. And the lead kid they got for Ender himself, Asa Butterfield, is fantastic. He really sells the complex role.

thumb up

Lord Lucien
A few of us in the SWVF kinda... really didn't like it.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
A few of us in the SWVF kinda... really didn't like it.
Yeah, yeah. I'm sure the book is better. They almost always are. But film is a much different experience, and even though I'm not familiar with the source material, I can tell they did a fantastic job with it. I intend to read the book at some point.

Mindset
I read the book after I saw the movie.

They were both good.

Robtard
Film was at best just okay. Was expecting a lot since I've heard nothing except high remarks from the book people. Didn't make me care much for any of the characters expect the little wannabe alpha midget, was happy when he got his. Kid who played Ender was rather bland and boring. Harrison Ford seemed to be there just for the paycheck.

Still plan on reading the book, but the film did nothing to make me want to pick it up sooner.

Lord Lucien
Ditto. It was a forgettable film. Decent visuals, but that was about all it had going for it. I never take it as a good sign when I reflexively roll my eyes while watching a movie, and it happened a good few times with this one.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
Kid who played Ender was rather bland and boring.

Could not disagree more strongly. I think what might be mistaken as "bland" or "boring" was actually the character's unique ability to be calm and collected in stressful situations that required strategic and calculated decisions. But besides that I thought the kid did a fantastic job of showing emotion bubbling up behind his calm demeanor. There was definitely a subtle intensity there.

Mindset
Everyone who has a different opinion than me is wrong and stupid.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Mindset
Everyone who has a different opinion than me is wrong and stupid. Uh, no, not true. Dumbass.

Robtard
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Could not disagree more strongly. I think what might be mistaken as "bland" or "boring" was actually the character's unique ability to be calm and collected in stressful situations that required strategic and calculated decisions. But besides that I thought the kid did a fantastic job of showing emotion bubbling up behind his calm demeanor. There was definitely a subtle intensity there.

Nah, he's just not a very good actor for his age and he came off both bland and boring throughout the entire film. Poor casting happens.

Mindset
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Uh, no, not true. Dumbass. You're so stupid that it physically hurts me.

Tzeentch
thats probably your herpes

Mindset
Herpes doesn't hurt.

Patient_Leech
He's not denying that he has it.

Mindset
Go suck Vin Diesel off again.

Time Immemorial
My gf and I actually liked the movie, watched it twice.

Shakyamunison
I liked the movie. It could have been... longer? More character development. I didn't read the book, but maybe I should.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.