Avengers vs Death Eaters

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lestov16
All of Voldemort's death eaters are holed up in Hogwarts. The Avengers have been tasked with clearing the building so the students can re-enter and get back to their studies.

Can the Avengers do it?

Lord Lucien
Yes. Black Widow solos.

TheGodKiller
Avengers win with ease.

Casper Whitey
Wow.

wallman77
arent the death eaters like next level sorcerers? normal humans shouldnt stand a chance against them. so fail about the black widow soloing bizness. hawkeye may get off a shot or two depending on the trick arrow. the death eaters have that one insta kill spell. if u get hit by it ur done. cap blocks a couple "wizard" bolt shots with his shield but eventually gets hit. he is down. widow and hawkeye quickly follow suit. it basically comes down to will the their death spells work through tony's armor. will it affect a "god" and will it put the hulk down. also if i remember correctly, they could be intangible if they choose to. plus flight. i dunno if the avengers can pull this off guys.

wallman77
i think if the death eaters are powerful enough, they could prob spam thor with the death spell (Avada Kedavra) and he could prob go down if one shot wouldnt already do. same for hulk. i dont see hulk being able to really do any damage to them thanks to their intangibility. i think thors lighting and iron man's energy blast are their only real threat.

wallman77
though i may be wrong about the intangible thing cuz i dont remember the films to much. i just remember them moving like black smoke.

BlackZero30x
...only if the death eaters have no idea anyone is coming and the Avengers do this stealth. Other wise Thor is the only potential survivor. Depends if can use Mjolnir to protect himself or not.

Silent Master
Wasn't the AK blocked several times by the use of solid objects?

wallman77
well if is hammer is magical by nature it should be able to repel other forms of magic. i dont know if it was blocked by solid objects as much as it just repelled by their magic wands. meh, i dunno the mechanics of their wizardry.

wallman77
his*

Robtard
Originally posted by Silent Master

Yes.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Robtard
Yes.

The question is now, is the armor worn by several members of the Avengers enough to block it.

Thor on the other hand was fast enough to block energy attacks with Mjolnir, so even if his armor isn't enough, he should be able to block several of the attacks if he's somehow unable to dodge.

Robtard
Is said armor tougher than a tombstone?

Thor WTFpwns a HP wizard.

dadudemon

Thor on the other hand was fast enough to block energy attacks with Mjolnir, so even if his armor isn't enough, he should be able to block several of the attacks if he's somehow unable to dodge.

I can agree to this. His hammer is definitely a massive tier above any artifacts/magical items we saw in Harry Potter.

I think even his plate/mail chain armor stuff should afford him some protection. Remember when the killing curses were hitting stones and rocks? It cracked them n'stuff. That sturdy armor should stand up to killing curses, imo. That is up to the thread starter to agree or disagree with me but I'm going with a Killing curse, or any magical spells, needing to strike bare skin on Thor to affect him. Jinxex, charms, and potions would be obvious exceptions. I'm just talking thrown spells.

M-er f-er. You ninja'd me. Yes, that was what I was getting at.

Silent Master

Iron-man and Thor's is much tougher, Cap's might be as it protected him from most of the damage when he got hit by one of the laser rifles.

Not sure about BW and Hawkeye.

Robtard
Iron-man and Thor's is much tougher, Cap's might be as it protected him from most of the damage when he got hit by one of the laser rifles.

Not sure about BW and Hawkeye.

Yes.

Either of those can aim and fire faster than a wizard can point a wand and say "Avada Kedavra". Natasha can do gymnastics thereby making herself a hard target to that spell while firing no less.

TheGodKiller
The AK was also semi-ineffective against quasi-immortals ala horcrux empowered Tom Riddle.

I wonder if it'll have any effect against immortal Asgardians like Thor.

TheGodKiller

I recall seeing a thread in the Lounge where a couple of posters unsuccessfully tried to use a ridiculous no-limits fallacy to prove that Rowling's death spell could kill Celestials(the Marvel Space Gods themselves). That entire thread was full of fail, seeing how they pitted the DEs against a race of godlike cosmic beings.

Edit: Here it is http://lounge.moviecodec.com/vs-forum/voldemort-all-death-eaters-vs-the-celestials-72005/

Robtard
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
I recall seeing a thread in the Lounge where a couple of posters unsuccessfully tried to use a ridiculous no-limits fallacy to prove that Rowling's death spell could kill Celestials(the Marvel Space Gods themselves). That entire thread was full of fail, seeing how they pitted the DEs against a race of godlike cosmic beings.

Edit: Here it is http://lounge.moviecodec.com/vs-forum/voldemort-all-death-eaters-vs-the-celestials-72005/

I hear ya.

I've run across Harry Potter fanboys before in here many a time.

TheGodKiller
I hear ya.

I've run across Harry Potter fanboys before in here many a time.
What do you think in regards to my query about whether or not the AK could affect Thor?
The AK was also semi-ineffective against quasi-immortals ala horcrux empowered Tom Riddle.

Personally speaking I don't think it'll work.

Robtard
What do you think in regards to my query about whether or not the AK could affect Thor?

Personally speaking I don't think it'll work.

If the Killing Curse hits Thor's exposed flesh?

While it's an unknown if Asgardians in Marvel films are truly immortal (I'd guess no), does Thor have a soul (being an Asgardian) for the AK to separate from his body?

IIRC, AK can't kill a HP dragon, as the dragons are magical in nature. So it's not like this spell is the ultimate weapon to begin with.

Silent Master
Well, I believe the AK works by attacking the soul, which is the HPverse is actually an energy that is present in their bodies...as seen when the Dementors try and suck out Sirius's soul and the fact that Voldemort was able to split his and place them in objects.

I don't think it'll work on anyone that can't be proven to have that same type of energy in their body.

Robtard
Are you saying that humans in the Marvel universe are soulless?

Silent Master
Are you saying that humans in the Marvel universe are soulless?

I'm saying that the HPverse had a unique take on the soul and that there is no proof that people from other universes have the same type of soul.

Silent Master
It's like in the Star Wars universe, everyone has midi-chlorians in their system and if they have enough they are able to use the Force....does that mean we assume that everyone in the HP or Marvelverse also have midi-chlorians in their system?

BruceSkywalker
jeez.. the Avengers take this

TheGodKiller
If the Killing Curse hits Thor's exposed flesh?

While it's an unknown if Asgardians in Marvel films are truly immortal (I'd guess no), does Thor have a soul (being an Asgardian) for the AK to separate from his body?

IIRC, AK can't kill a HP dragon, as the dragons are magical in nature. So it's not like this spell is the ultimate weapon to begin with.
I think you're confusing the Dementor's kiss with the AK.

Although I don't recall if this incident took place in the movie, in the book when Harry and co return to Hogwarts whilst hidden under the Invisibility Cloak, and one of the Death Eaters suggests to dispatch dementors after him, another admonishes him by reminding that Voldemort had forbidden any harm come to Harry. However the first DE responded something along the lines of"The Dark Lord wants his life not his soul" suggesting that the AK functions in a different manner from the Dementor's kiss.

Either way, being alive and having a soul are not interchangeable scenarios in the HP-verse imo, which is demonstrated by the Dementor's Kiss which while sucking out the essence, leaves the body alive albeit an empty shell which is its most distinguishing feature as a "fate worse than death".

Btw, I don't recall the AK failing to kill a dragon either in the movies or in the books. Indeed I don't recall it being used at all against dragons. If it did happen, please point it out to me.

TheGodKiller
Btw, as far as the dragon/AK dynamic goes, Voldemort slew a Gringotts Goblin with the spell, when the latter announced to him the theft of the Hufflepuff Cup horcrux, thereby suggesting that its capable of slaying magical creatures as well.

Silent Master
If Goblins count as magical creatures, then so do Wizards.

Remember, Filius Flitwick is part Goblin and part Wizard.

Casper Whitey
Originally posted by wallman77
arent the death eaters like next level sorcerers? normal humans shouldnt stand a chance against them. so fail about the black widow soloing bizness. hawkeye may get off a shot or two depending on the trick arrow. the death eaters have that one insta kill spell. if u get hit by it ur done. cap blocks a couple "wizard" bolt shots with his shield but eventually gets hit. he is down. widow and hawkeye quickly follow suit. it basically comes down to will the their death spells work through tony's armor. will it affect a "god" and will it put the hulk down. also if i remember correctly, they could be intangible if they choose to. plus flight. i dunno if the avengers can pull this off guys.

Thor, Hulk and IM get turned into teacups. And don't even get me started on Fiendfyre.

/thread. Avengers get tooled.

Silent Master
Which of the Death Eaters showed they were capable of turing people into teacups?

Casper Whitey
Which of the Death Eaters showed they were capable of turing people into teacups? All of them. They went toe to toe with the Order of the Phoenix FFS. Bellatrix Lestrange could even solo here. How, you ask?

Well, first, watch the vid below:

Mo-U5iOinM8

Now, imagine all the Death Eaters flying around like that. And for the record, the Death Eaters can go invisible and intangible while in flight.

Now, imagine a towering wall of Fiendfyre surrounding the Avengers. No? See below:

9tvEIgqQ_DE

In the above vid, we can see Bellatix and Fenrir flying (half apparating) and casting Fiendfyre as they do so. Twice. We can also see them smash through the walls of the Burrow, which is an inferno, and emerge unscathed. Hell, even their clothes are untouched.

Not to mention the first vid where they fly so fast and with such force that they twist the bridge from it's foundation.

Spells? Dude, they can death spell, turn people into inanimate objects, they can vanish people, they can shrink objects (Thor's armor will be a vise-like death trap here). This is just the tip of the iceberg. And there are DOZENS of Death eaters, mind you.

More Fiendfyre:

zuCbMk54FzE

Any questions?

FrothByte
I think something that people are missing here is that the reason the AK didn't affect stones and such, was because it had no soul. The AK had no problems killing people even if it hit them on their clothes. Whether it will work on IM's and Thor's armor, I'm not sure, especially IM's armor.

I do think it shouldn't have any problem killing Cap, BW, and Hawkeye if it hits them. Their only defense is to keep evading the curses and in Cap's case, shield himself.

Funny thing in this scenario though, is that Hulk probably dies first. He has no armor to talk of, very little dodging skills, and prefers to just charge head on. AK kills him.

IM and Thor should be able to just turn the school into rubble and thus killing all the Death Eaters inside, but if the goal of the OP is to kill all the Death Eaters such that the students can reclaim the school, then the Avengers will have hell of a hard time.

The only reason I can think of for the Avengers to win this is because they're the heroes. But in a realistic fight, I just can't see them winning this. There are too many death eaters with far too much spells as arsenal. All the other Avengers are nearly useless here, so the only ones who'll be really fighting is IM and Thor, and that's 2 against the many.

FrothByte

I haven't watched or read HP in quite some time so I'm not sure how accurate this is, but from what I remember the reason the AK didn't kill Tom Riddle was because he had already divided his soul into different horcrux's and thus wasn't killable unless you destroyed all the horcrux's containing his souls.

Thor as far as I know hasn't divided his soul. If we're going by the mechanics of how the AK works then it shouldn't have problems killing him, although that's only if he fails to block them with his hammer.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by FrothByte
I think something that people are missing here is that the reason the AK didn't affect stones and such, was because it had no soul. The AK had no problems killing people even if it hit them on their clothes. Whether it will work on IM's and Thor's armor, I'm not sure, especially IM's armor.

I do think it shouldn't have any problem killing Cap, BW, and Hawkeye if it hits them. Their only defense is to keep evading the curses and in Cap's case, shield himself.
B]

this brings up the matter of caps shield with standing the spell. It did stand up to Thor "bringing down the hammer"

imo Caps shield and Mjolnir are going to be problems for the death eaters. Not to mention all they have to do in theory is disarm them or break their wands. Wand-less magic only existed in the movies iirc and only Voldamort and Dumbledor could do it in the movies.

Silent Master
Nice vids, only I didn't see any of the Death Eaters turning people into teacups, nor did I see the vast majority of them using the Fiendfyre or using the mist/flying(whatever it's called) attack.

Trying to grant all the Death Eaters that level of skill/power/knowledge would be like me granting Thor's feats to everyone from Asgard.

Robtard
I think you're confusing the Dementor's kiss with the AK.

Although I don't recall if this incident took place in the movie, in the book when Harry and co return to Hogwarts whilst hidden under the Invisibility Cloak, and one of the Death Eaters suggests to dispatch dementors after him, another admonishes him by reminding that Voldemort had forbidden any harm come to Harry. However the first DE responded something along the lines of"The Dark Lord wants his life not his soul" suggesting that the AK functions in a different manner from the Dementor's kiss.

Either way, being alive and having a soul are not interchangeable scenarios in the HP-verse imo, which is demonstrated by the Dementor's Kiss which while sucking out the essence, leaves the body alive albeit an empty shell which is its most distinguishing feature as a "fate worse than death".

Btw, I don't recall the AK failing to kill a dragon either in the movies or in the books. Indeed I don't recall it being used at all against dragons. If it did happen, please point it out to me.

No.

When Gary Oldman was zapped with an AK, you visibly saw his spirit/soul being pulled from his body and then he was all "ah, I'm dead Gary Oldman."

I could be thinking of the books when it comes to dragon lore, but I thought Potter tried to zap one once in the films.

Robtard
Originally posted by Casper Whitey

Any questions?

No questions.

Thor + flying + massive tornado + lightning spam = all half-smoke flying Deatheaters are torn and fried. They'd be stupid to start flying, though that's what they'd likely do after failing with the killing curse.

Then there's the other Avengers doing stuff.

Any questions?

Estacado
Harry Potter stuff is ghey...

Silent Master
Tony has more than enough money, he could always have the castle rebuilt, that way the Avengers don't have to hold back.

TheGodKiller
No.

When Gary Oldman was zapped with an AK, you visibly saw his spirit/soul being pulled from his body and then he was all "ah, I'm dead Gary Oldman."

I could be thinking of the books when it comes to dragon lore, but I thought Potter tried to zap one once in the films.
This is the scene you're referring to:
tkIOpBvvH20
For one, Sirius was standing near the Veil, which is supposedly the barrier between the the afterlife and the living world. Secondly, that "spirit" one sees at 3:25 is actually coming from within the Veil and pulling his body within, its not Sirius' own soul being sucked out of him.

So there, I think its conclusively proven that the AK doesn't soul-suck in order to kill its victim.

That's the Stupefy charm which in itself is weaksauce compared to the AK. Potter has only ever used two of the Unforgivable Curses in either movies or books, and the AK is not part of them.

Galan007
I didn't think that was a 'full power/Voldemort-level' AK anyway, as Sirius wasn't insta-killed.

Robtard
Fair enough, no soul separation, I remembered the scene wrong. Then it stands to reason it kills by damaging the person/stopping their heart.

Hulk and Thor are both probably immune due to their high durability, armor aside. Iron Man for sure is, he's covered head to toe. Captain could also be due to high durability and body armor.

Thinking about it, Iron Man has a chance to also solo, he can fly at least 1,500mph (F-22 speed). Likely far faster, since he apparently traveled from New York to the Middle East in what appeared to be several hours.

TheGodKiller
Fair enough, no soul separation, I remembered the scene wrong. Then it stands to reason it kills by damaging the person/stopping their heart.

Hulk and Thor are both probably immune due to their high durability, armor aside. Iron Man for sure is, he's covered head to toe. Captain could also be due to high durability and body armor.
There could definitely be a precedent to make that sort of assumption even when considers the fact that the AK is never supposed to leave any physical mark of injury upon its victim(with Harry being the only exception due to exceptional circumstances).

I think an argument can be made about both Hulk and Thor's immunity to the AK fro the perspective that since they're both quasi-immortals(hulk definitely is seeing how his healing factor is capable of negating Banner's death as well). Iron Man's mechanical heart has already resisted Loki's magical mind control, so it does stand to reason that in his full suit, most(if not all) of the Death Eaters' magic will be ineffective against him.

I don't think that Cap could be immune as well due to his durability, but yeah, his shield would provide excellent protection.

Tbh, since the AK was never really used against living creatures of high durability, I think its a stretch to assume that characters like Thor, Hulk or Cap would be immune based on their durability alone.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by Galan007
I didn't think that was a 'full power/Voldemort-level' AK anyway, as Sirius wasn't insta-killed.
They slowed down his death sequence to create a dramatic scene. In the book itself, the spell which Bellatrix used for killing him was never specified, and he died by falling into the Veil, not due to Lestrange's spell directly.

Silent Master
I always thought the AK attacked the soul, but looking it up, I don't see that stated anywhere...so does the book ever actually say how the AK kills you?

Robtard

Tbh, since the AK was never really used against living creatures of high durability, I think its a stretch to assume that characters like Thor, Hulk or Cap would be immune based on their durability alone.

I see it the other way,considering that spell only killed people who are for all intents and purposes like soft sponges compared to Thor and Hulk, it's akin to a no limit fallacy to conclude the death spell can kill all simply because it kills humans, wizards and spiders.

Robtard
They slowed down his death sequence to create a dramatic scene. In the book itself, the spell which Bellatrix used for killing him was never specified, and he died by falling into the Veil, not due to Lestrange's spell directly.

Dumbledore didn't die instantly either, iirc. Wasn't he still alive when he first started falling?

TheGodKiller
I see it the other way,considering that spell only killed people who are for all intents and purposes like soft sponges compared to Thor and Hulk, it's akin to a no limit fallacy to conclude the death spell can kill all simply because it kills humans, wizards and spiders.
Fair enough.
Dumbledore didn't die instantly either, iirc. Wasn't he still alive when he first started falling?
Not really. The moment he was hit by the AK, he fell of the tower instantly. His face was expressionless as he was falling, and his flailing arms could be explained as the air currents dragging against his limp body.
6qXYoitSHAU

Robtard
Or was he trying to wave out one final goodbye?

TheGodKiller
Or was he trying to wave out one final goodbye?
I doubt it since the old geezer always used to harp on about how "death is the next journey" and all that philosophical bs about human expiry.

ares834
I always thought the AK attacked the soul, but looking it up, I don't see that stated anywhere...so does the book ever actually say how the AK kills you?

No. It's not.

Also, as for dragons, nothing suggest they could survive AK. However, they are somewhat resistant to magic.

Anyway, the wizards win IMO. But lol at Bealatrix soloing.

Silent Master
Originally posted by ares834
No. It's not.

Also, as for dragons, nothing suggest they could survive AK. However, they are somewhat resistant to magic.

Anyway, the wizards win IMO. But lol at Bealatrix soloing.

So, how does the AK kill people then?

ares834
It's never explained in either the books or movies. The idea that it separates soul and body is fan speculation.

Silent Master
It's never explained in either the books or movies. The idea that it separates soul and body is fan speculation.

That explains it, I tend to read a lot of fanfiction to kill time when I work the weekend shift.

What is the most powerful person/thing it's killed?

Placidity
Magic bypasses durability - see Superman.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Placidity

Not all durability- See Loki needing the Twilight sword to transmute Thor.

omgchos
That explains it, I tend to read a lot of fanfiction to kill time when I work the weekend shift.

What is the most powerful person/thing it's killed?
Its not so much about power. The most damage its done is to some golden statues, knocking their heads off or other wise breaking them. Its real purpose is to kill. They only ever used it on people as far as i remember. Tho since we barely get to see its use in the movies all we really can use in this thread is sirius' and dumbledore's death.

Silent Master
Right, but we'd need to know how it kills in order to make an argument about whether or not it'd work on someone like Thor or the Hulk.

I mean Odin's spear disintegrated Laufey, but Thor was hit with it twice and didn't appear to be injured.

omgchos
Right, but we'd need to know how it kills in order to make an argument about whether or not it'd work on someone like Thor or the Hulk.

I mean Odin's spear disintegrated Laufey, but Thor was hit with it twice and didn't appear to be injured.
Wouldnt that be explained by the fact that odin wasnt trying to kill thor....

Edit: Oh you meant when LowKey was using it.

Placidity
It's like saying Xavier's TP wouldn't work on Thor because of durability, or only ever shown to work on humans. Probably just me, it seems more likely it would work rather than not.

Is this still Avengers-wanking or just anti-HP? I'm not even saying Avengers wouldn't win, but some of the arguments...

Silent Master
Originally posted by omgchos
Wouldnt that be explained by the fact that odin wasnt trying to kill thor....

Edit: Oh you meant when LowKey was using it.

Yes, I was talking about when Thor was blasted by Loki.

Robtard

It can or it can't, really depends.

Would fire created magically suddenly harm someone immune to fire just cos the fire came from magic, even though said magical fire just burns?

What about a magically created flying dagger, would that cut some one like Colossus just cos it's magic?

Really depends how exactly the Death Spell kills, imo.

marwash22
Bad example since that is a specific weakness for Superman.

ares834
Frankly, I'd assume if the death curse hit Thor (and not this armor) he would die. The curse simply kills, durability doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. And since movie Thor doesn't seem to be some supernatural being then I'd assume it would kill him.

Silent Master
Frankly, I'd assume if the death curse hit Thor (and not this armor) he would die. The curse simply kills, durability doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. And since movie Thor doesn't seem to be some supernatural being then I'd assume it would kill him.

Magical blasts from Odin's spear disintegrated Laufey, but Thor survived just fine.

omgchos
Idk about supernatural, but he is a very evolved and powerful being nonetheless. It comes down to magic. The killing curse is just that, a killing curse. Not even powerful wizards can stop it from killing them with any spell. All you can do is get out of its way, or put an object in the way. Theres just not enough info about it to know whether it affects people differently or not. So for the purposes of this thread it can't really be used.

omgchos
Magical blasts from Odin's spear disintegrated Laufey, but Thor survived just fine.
I was just thinking, that might be due to his asguardian armor.

marwash22
Odin doesn't have a curse explicitly stated to kill living things.

Thor is a living thing... Avada Kedavra kills living things... Avada Kedavra would kill Thor.

deal with it.

Robtard
So it'd kill Galactus, since Galactus is both a thing and is alive.

Bit of a no-limit, imo.

Silent Master
Originally posted by marwash22

Thor is a living thing... Avada Kedavra kills living things... Avada Kedavra would kill Thor.

deal with it.

That's called a no limits fallacy, going by that logic the AK would kill anybody from a random person on the bus to the Living Tribunal.

marwash22
on screen feats, bro.

killing curse only failed once it that was due to other factors.

omgchos

deal with it.
By the standards of the book i agree. But since the movies dont show it all that much theres not much to go off of. And it never killed a being on thors level, or a super powered gamma radiation fueled beast with undefined regenerative capabilities. Its just not enough.

omgchos
So it'd kill Galactus, since Galactus is both a thing and is alive.

Bit of a no-limit, imo.
Precisely.

omgchos
That's called a no limits fallacy, going by that logic the AK would kill anybody from a random person on the bus to the Living Tribunal.

Haha fool could curbstomp the HP universe 10 times over. Second only to god(stan lee)forget what he was called.

omgchos
on screen feats, bro.

Well twice.... actually three times. And just that fact right there does put limitations on it.

Robtard
By the standards of the book i agree. But since the movies dont show it all that much theres not much to go off of. And it never killed a being on thors level, or a super powered gamma radiation fueled beast with undefined regenerative capabilities. Its just not enough.

We have an idea of Hulk's healing factor. He can heal himself from a bullet delivered to brain via the mouth.

marwash22
Well twice.... actually three times. And just that fact right there does put limitations on it. i forget, name the other times please.

omgchos
We have an idea of Hulk's healing factor. He can heal himself from a bullet delivered to brain via the mouth.
I was talking more about the limitations of it, not that he doesnt have one. For all we know he can heal from anything with that much radiation backing him up.

omgchos
i forget, name the other times please.

Graveyard- Priori Incantatum

Hogwarts- Elder wand wouldnt kill its owner

Godric's Hollow- Love Protection blocked and rebounded it

Silent Master
on screen feats, bro.

It has on screen feats of killing someone that is both heavily resistant to magic and immortal?

Robtard
Haha fool could curbstomp the HP universe 10 times over. Second only to god(stan lee)forget what he was called.

The-One-Above-All.

Not to be confused with 'The One Above All' who is the leader of the Celestials.

Silent Master

Godric's Hollow- Love Protection blocked and rebounded it

Didn't Fawkes also survive the AK?

marwash22

Godric's Hollow- Love Protection blocked and rebounded it how does that help Thor?Originally posted by Silent Master
It has on screen feats of killing someone that is both heavily resistant to magic and immortal? it has feats of killing living things... which Thor is.

omgchos
how does that help Thor?

He asked about the times the curse failed. I was simply pointing out that its not an infalible spell that has no limit to its killin capabilities.

Edit: You asked.

marwash22
He asked about the times the curse failed. I was simply pointing out that its not an infalible spell that has no limit to its killin capabilities.

Edit: You asked. okay, but the limits you gave do not support the claim that it wouldn't kill Thor. Thor doesn't have access to any of the things that made the curse fail in those instances.

omgchos
Well fawkes cant die. And whoever directed the movie felt it was a good idea not to put such a baddass moment into the films so sadly it cant be used.

Placidity
Thor is immortal? Not even Odin is...

omgchos
okay, but the limits you gave do not support the claim that it wouldn't kill Thor.

My answer isnt that cut and dry, its just that since it doesnt always work against everything for one reason or another and thor and hulk are so powerful it is again..... not so cut and dry.

marwash22
My answer isnt that cut and dry, its just that since it doesnt always work against everything for one reason or another and thor and hulk are so powerful it is again..... not so cut and dry. so basically you think your opinion outweighs stated facts?

omgchos
so basically you think your opinion outweighs states facts?
No just commenting that the basis for your argument is much to simple. You havent offered evidence. You made up a rule that says AK kills all living things. You dont have any stated facts. It only ever killed 2 people in the move. 3 if you count voldemorts rebounding curse. Other than those three people who are nothing close to the physiology of thor or hulk you have no evidence of its power.

Silent Master
how does that help Thor? it has feats of killing living things... which Thor is.

IOW, it doesn't have any feats on working on someone that is both heavily resistant to magic and immortal.

omgchos
IOW, it doesn't have any feats on working on someone that is both heavily resistant to magic and immortal.

There are no on screen feats to support immortality or magic resist.

Silent Master
There are no on screen feats to support immortality or magic resist.

The movie started in 965 AD and Loki was shown as a baby, that means Loki is over 1,000 years old and Thor was portrayed as his older brother. Also, Thor tanked magical attacks that disintegrated Laufey's body.

That and getting his power back brought him back to life.

omgchos
The movie started in 965 AD and Loki was shown as a baby, that means Loki is over 1,000 years old and Thor was portrayed as his older brother.

Also, Thor tanked magical attacks that disintegrated Laufey's body.
They have science they dont have magic. And Immortality is the absence of mortality. Longevity does not mean you cant die. Which is precisely what immortality means.

Silent Master
They have science they dont have magic. And Immortality is the absence of mortality. Longevity does not mean you cant die. Which is precisely what immortality means.

Highlanders are called immortal and yet they can be killed, it's a general term in fiction

And one off hand comment by Thor doesn't mean anything, we see them using magic, not tech.

Placidity
The movie started in 965 AD and Loki was shown as a baby, that means Loki is over 1,000 years old and Thor was portrayed as his older brother. Also, Thor tanked magical attacks that disintegrated Laufey's body.

Only suggests extended lifespan, like the elves, not immortality. I don't see the relevance in regards to the this type of "unaging immortality", as opposed to the unkillable/horcrux/other forms.

marwash22
No just commenting that the basis for your argument is much to simple. You havent offered evidence. Originally posted by omgchos
You dont have any stated facts. wBFkA9mAlX4

You made up a rule that says AK kills all living things. bermm

i didn't make that up, JK Rowling did.

Other than those three people who are nothing close to the physiology of thor or hulk you have no evidence of its power. You're the one making stuff up... you're adding rules to the curse that weren't mentioned on screen. It's explicitly said to kill, not kill unless the person has a different physiology. Last i checked spiders and humans don't share physiology either, but the curse worked on both.

i don't understand your refusal to accept stated facts. using your logic, none of the spells would work on any person who isn't apart of the Harry Potter universe.

omgchos
Highlanders are called immortal and yet they can be killed, it's a general term in fiction

And one off hand comment by Thor doesn't mean anything, we see them using magic, not tech.

It may be a general term but your meaning is pretty specific. Your saying the AK curse wont kill him because hes immortal. So you mean he cant die dont you? In which case no proof.

And he did say it didnt he. Might as well make shit up as we go along if we arent gonna use movie dialogue in a movie versus thread to back up our claims. If we went back 2000 years and shot and egyptian in the face the other egyptians would say "it has to be magic" if we then explained to them its just a device. Just because odins spear doesnt have serial numbers and a power gauge written across its side doesnt automatically make it magic. Its the director of thor's fault here because in the comics they are indeed magic. To bad for the verses threads.

Silent Master
It may be a general term but your meaning is pretty specific. Your saying the AK curse wont kill him because hes immortal. So you mean he cant die dont you? In which case no proof.

And he did say it didnt he. Might as well make shit up as we go along if we arent gonna use movie dialogue in a movie versus thread to back up our claims. If we went back 2000 years and shot and egyptian in the face the other egyptians would say "it has to be magic" if we then explained to them its just a device. Just because odins spear doesnt have serial numbers and a power gauge written across its side doesnt automatically make it magic. Its the director of thor's fault here because in the comics they are indeed magic. To bad for the verses threads.

Feats >>>>>>> Statements, and we see them using magic without any tech.

Robtard
. Last i checked spiders and humans don't share physiology either, but the curse worked on both.

Depending on the spider type, but around 60% genetically shared material.

omgchos
wBFkA9mAlX4

bermm

i didn't make that up, JK Rowling did.

You're the one making stuff up... you're adding rules to the curse that weren't mentioned on screen. It's explicitly said to kill, not kill unless the person has a different physiology. Last i checked spiders and humans don't share physiology either, but the curse worked on both.

i don't understand your refusal to accept stated facts. using your logic, none of the spells would work on any person who isn't apart of the Harry Potter universe.

"Only one person is known to have survived it". Thats your stated fact? Shoulda watched your own video there. Like i said there is so much more in the book on the subject, yet here we are in movie vs.

Spiders are from earth and are carbon based life forms like us. They occupy environments similar to humans. Thor is from asguard, we have no clue how dense or resistant his body is to things like the killing curse. Thor has taken damage that would have obliterated any other human.

And as for the curse not working on anyone not from the HP universe, they were all humans so i dont know what your reasoning is there. Never said it wouldnt kill someone like hawkeye, captain or black widow. Tho cap does have his shield.

ares834

Yes, Thor durability would protect him from being disintegrated... But I'm not inclined to believe that physical durability will prevent him from being killed by the killing curse.

No. It died. Then was reborn.

Nah, pretty sure the movie goes with the whole "sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" clause.

marwash22
"Only one person is known to have survived it". Thats your stated fact? Shoulda watched your own video there. Like i said there is so much more in the book on the subject, yet here we are in movie vs.

Spiders are from earth and are carbon based life forms like us. They occupy environments similar to humans. Thor is from asguard, we have no clue how dense or resistant his body is to things like the killing curse. Thor has taken damage that would have obliterated any other human.

And as for the curse not working on anyone not from the HP universe, they were all humans so i dont know what your reasoning is there. Never said it wouldnt kill someone like hawkeye, captain or black widow. Tho cap does have his shield. OMFG! lol, I'm done.

omgchos
Feats >>>>>>> Statements, and we see them using magic without any tech.

We see no such thing. We see things as they probably designed us to see them. They did pretend to be gods and watched over earth. If i was pretending to be a god id make my tech look as magic as possible.

omgchos
OMFG! lol, I'm done.

Ive had my fork ready this whole time.

Silent Master
Yes, Thor durability would protect him from being disintegrated... But I'm not inclined to believe that physical durability will prevent him from being killed by the killing curse.

No. It died. Then was reborn.

Nah, pretty sure the movie goes with the whole "sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" clause.

That was an off hand statement by Thor, we see them use magic without any tech assistance.

Silent Master
We see no such thing. We see things as they probably designed us to see them. They did pretend to be gods and watched over earth. If i was pretending to be a god id make my tech look as magic as possible.

What tech did we see them use?

marwash22
Ive had my fork ready this whole time. fork me, baby, for me hard.

omgchos
What tech did we see them use?

Well the Bifrost looks extremely mechanic. Even to the point if it haveng a large key it needed to function. The destroyer had moving parts and what looks like a power core. And that cool looking transporter tube they put the tesceract in to take LowKey and thor back to asguard. As we know that S.H.I.E.L.D. got close to harnessing the pwer of the teseract. Unless your saying that they somehow harnessed magic with some earth based technology.

ares834
That was an off hand statement by Thor, we see them use magic without any tech assistance.

What? So since you don't like it you just ignore it? And you don't seem to understand what Clarktech is. The film hinted at the Asgardian powers simply being extremely advanced tech well beyond human understanding. As such it appears to be magic to us, even though it isn't.

omgchos
fork me, baby, for me hard.

What are you buffalo bill? lol/

Robtard
This has been argued before in the MVF and it's inconclusive. It could or could not be magic or both.

imo, I'd side with Clarke's 3rd Law and the Asgardians themselves being super-powered due to their physiology and not wizard-types. With the magic-tech combo being possible.

omgchos
Its funny that it always comes down to thor and hulk in these threads. And occasionally iron man. The other three seem to be fodder.

marwash22
What are you buffalo bill? lol/ I'd fork me.

omgchos
I'd fork me.
Go fork yourself.

marwash22
Its funny that it always comes down to thor and hulk in these threads. And occasionally iron man. The other three seem to be fodder. which is why they (Hawkeye and Widow) need to go away for the next Avengers movies. They offer nothing and force the writers to manufacture things for them to do... they are the superhero equivalent of "everybody gets to play" in pop warner football.

omgchos
which is why they (Hawkeye and Widow) need to go away for the next Avengers movies. They offer nothing and force the writers to manufacture things for them to do... they are the superhero equivalent of "everybody gets to play" in pop warner football.
Id argue that they are good for support. At least hawkeye has a marketable skill.

Robtard
Black Widow has marketable ass.

omgchos
Black Widow has marketable ass.
buh-dum ch

Silent Master
Well the Bifrost looks extremely mechanic. Even to the point if it haveng a large key it needed to function. The destroyer had moving parts and what looks like a power core. And that cool looking transporter tube they put the tesceract in to take LowKey and thor back to asguard. As we know that S.H.I.E.L.D. got close to harnessing the pwer of the teseract. Unless your saying that they somehow harnessed magic with some earth based technology.

Using artifacts doesn't mean it isn't magic, the HPverse is full of magical artifacts. BTW, the only thing that moved on the Destroyer was the metal that made up his armor, As for the tesceract, they didn't really get to close to understaing it, the best they were able to do is make some laser rifles based on studying the power it generated.

marwash22
Black Widow has marketable ass. She voluntarily destroyed her two most marketable assets.

omgchos
Using artifacts doesn't mean it isn't magic, the HPverse is full of magical artifacts. BTW, the only thing that moved on the Destroyer was the metal that made up his armor, As for the tesceract, they didn't really get to close to understaing it, the best they were able to do is make some laser rifles based on studying the power it generated.
He absobed its power. And harnessed it. And just so you know you have to prove it IS magic to say that it is in fact magic. Whereas i have dialogue to back it up. No one in any of the movies said it was magic and therefore That one "throw away" statement is the only proof one way or the other.

Silent Master
He absobed its power. And harnessed it. And just so you know you have to prove it IS magic to say that it is in fact magic. Whereas i have dialogue to back it up. No one in any of the movies said it was magic and therefore That one "throw away" statement is the only proof one way or the other.

You have an off hand comment by Thor, I have scenes of them using magic without any tech being used.

Feats >>>> Statements.

omgchos
You have an off hand comment by Thor, I have scenes of them using magic without any tech being used.

Feats >>>> Statements.

Again you dont have scenes of them using magic if the magic is just tech. Your argument is circular. Its magic cus it looks like magic? Thats not even an argument. And it wasnt an offhand comment mafriend. He was telling natalie portman all about his home world.

Placidity
Let's just agree whoever wrote that magic/science line is a complete moron.

omgchos
Hes a moron because it means the asguardians arent using magic? I dont see how that workds.

Silent Master
Again you dont have scenes of them using magic if the magic is just tech. Your argument is circular. Its magic cus it looks like magic? Thats not even an argument. And it wasnt an offhand comment mafriend. He was telling natalie portman all about his home world.

Sure I do, both movies show them using magic without tech...hell Shield spent most of the Thor movie studying the hammer and not once did they say anything about it being tech based.

ares834
Sure I do, both movies show them using magic without tech...hell Shield spent most of the Thor movie studying the hammer and not once did they say anything about it being tech based.

Because the tech is so far advanced that to humans it seems to be magic.

omgchos
Again circular argument. Its magic cuz it appears to be magic.

Robtard
In Thor, wasn't it mentioned by someone in the ground base that Mjolnir's power levels or readings were off the chart?

If so, I'd like to know what SHIELD used to register magic, if it's magic.

Silent Master
Again circular argument. Its magic cuz it appears to be magic.

Statements have to be backed up by feats or they are worthless, so what feats do you have?

Placidity
Hes a moron because it means the asguardians arent using magic? I dont see how that workds.

No because, from watching the whole movie, one would reasonably assume it is magic. Also, it is based on the comics, where his powers were obviously magical. WHY was that line included? It wasn't important, it wasn't a theme to the movie, they didn't go on to show that it really was just tech. Do you honestly think that line was of significance or consequence? In the Avengers or in Thor 2, is it important they remember an idiot said it was only tech and not magic? Heck, they probably forgot about it already and are writing it assuming it is magic.

Another point is that even if we suppose Thor's powers are "tech-based", unless he is omniscient, has no right to say magic doesn't exist so the writer is still a moron.

And if people argue it is all tech, then there'll be plenty of questions you won't be able to answer.

Robtard

And if people argue it is all tech, then there'll be plenty of questions you won't be able to answer.
Even though I think it's ultimately inconclusive,
http://data.whicdn.com/images/22674544/come-at-me-bro-turtle_large.jpg

Placidity
In Thor, wasn't it mentioned by someone in the ground base that Mjolnir's power levels or readings were off the chart?

If so, I'd like to know what SHIELD used to register magic, if it's magic.

Cmon Robby, just in the other thread you said magic can replicate natural physical effects. You used the example of fire. I am sure magical fire is hot too, and the temperature can be measured.

Now as to the nature of the "power level", I have no idea, but surely you could allow a little suspension of disbelief?

omgchos

ares834
No because, from watching the whole movie, one would reasonably assume it is magic. Also, it is based on the comics, where his powers were obviously magical. WHY was that line included? It wasn't important, it wasn't a theme to the movie, they didn't go on to show that it really was just tech. Do you honestly think that line was of significance or consequence? In the Avengers or in Thor 2, is it important they remember an idiot said it was only tech and not magic? Heck, they probably forgot about it already and are writing it assuming it is magic.

Another point is that even if we suppose Thor's powers are "tech-based", unless he is omniscient, has no right to say magic doesn't exist so the writer is still a moron.

Wait, so I have no right to say "magic doesn't exist" just because I'm not omniscient?

And I can answer almost every single question if it's tech not magic via Clarke's third law.

Silent Master

omgchos

I do admit in the comics thor is basically a god, and does in fact use magic. Iv'e always hated the thor movie. I wish i could use the HP books or the comics in this thread because HP would get curb stomped by thor IMO. But were in the movie vs. thread and they wrote that into the movie. I know it probably shouldnt have been there and it wasnt a very good movie. So in part i agree with you but since this is what it is its usable in a vs thread no matter how stupid it is. It usually turns out this way when a medium like books and comic books get turned into movie.

Placidity
Even though I think it's ultimately inconclusive,
come-at-me-bro-turtle_large.jpg

Nah, you'd be no fun.

But do you think Odin is a tech wiz?

This raises an interesting point though. People keep saying Loki was only able to injure Thor because he used an "enchanted dagger", do peeps want to back out from that now?

Placidity
Wait, so I have no right to say "magic doesn't exist" just because I'm not omniscient?

No, you don't.

ares834
TBH, never understood where than "enchanted dagger" BS came from.

Robtard
Cmon Robby, just in the other thread you said magic can replicate natural physical effects. You used the example of fire. I am sure magical fire is hot too, and the temperature can be measured.

Now as to the nature of the "power level", I have no idea, but surely you could allow a little suspension of disbelief?

If we didn't have supporting evidence that Asgardians use technology, I'd be fully down with your 'magical Mjolnir putting out a non-magical energy imprint' idea.

Ultimately I don't know, imo it's highly advanced tech with a tech/magic combo possibility, as I've said. The latter probably being the the soundest considering Thor's quote.

omgchos
Statements needing to be backed up is hardly a rule that I've made up, it's a standard part of debating...do you have any feats to back up Thor's statement.

Otherwise, Thor is just wrong...it'd hardly be the first time someone in a movie made a incorrect statement.
Its the ONLY statement on the subject. No one ever called it magic. Bad writing isnt an excuse for a poor argument. You cant back up a statement like that with any kind of feat. If you are defining a phenomenon, what it does is irrelevent unless that something is physically or mentally impossible. Desintegration, teleportation, rapid freezing, illusions, invisibility, et cetera, are all theoretically possible with the right tech. Therefore you cant say that those amazing things done on screen have to be magic if they have already been defined otherwise. YOU have to prove its magic. Give me a statement that contradicts mine or you dont have a leg to stand on here. Other than your apparently default stance of the "throwaway" statement that the main character said.

ares834
No, you don't.

Yes, I do. It's called a belief.

Anyway, Thor never denies the existence of magic he only claims he comes from a place where magic/tech are one and the same.

Robtard
Nah, you'd be no fun.

This raises an interesting point though. People keep saying Loki was only able to injure Thor because he used an "enchanted dagger", do peeps want to back out from that now?

Ha, ass.

Probably all his shown powers could be explained away without saying "magic" once. But they'd be guesses.

I've never said that.

Silent Master
Its the ONLY statement on the subject. No one ever called it magic. Bad writing isnt an excuse for a poor argument. You cant back up a statement like that with any kind of feat. If you are defining a phenomenon, what it does is irrelevent unless that something is physically or mentally impossible. Desintegration, teleportation, rapid freezing, illusions, invisibility, et cetera, are all theoretically possible with the right tech. Therefore you cant say that those amazing things done on screen have to be magic if they have already been defined otherwise. YOU have to prove its magic. Give me a statement that contradicts mine or you dont have a leg to stand on here. Other than your apparently default stance of the "throwaway" statement that the main character said.

If the statement can't be backed up, it's wrothless in a debate.

omgchos
Nah, you'd be no fun.

Idk why it HAS to be a magic dagger. A stong ass fool with a sharp ass dagger could pierce most anything. Provided its a very durable dagger.

wallman77
didnt hogun use the term a "master of magic" when referring to someone sneaking in the frost giants? are we just going to ignore that? if guardians do use "tech", hogun being one of them, would not refer to magic at all. but then so many questions. do asgardians use both magic and technology? do they just use tech and are aware that magic does still exist? maybe he ment the latter. u can hurt ur brain speculating if ur not careful.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>