Gandalf / Saruman duel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

elrond72
One thing bugging me about the movies. When saruman is fighting with gandalf, he takes his staff from him and uses it with his own to send gandalf to the top of orthanc. Later when he gives gandalf one last chance to join him and he jumps on gwaihir he still does not have his staff, yet at rivendell he does. How the hell does he get it back?!

Exabyte
In the books, Gandalf is explicitly carrying his staff when Gwaihir comes for him (in Frodo's dream).

In the movies - good question. Maybe Gwaihir made a little detour to Saruman's staff collection, or maybe it isn't the same staff. I always got the impression that the staff changes slightly over time, "opening" its upper knot (compare for example the staff in Moria to the one he carries arriving in the Shire; but then again, it might also just be the perspective) - maybe it was actually replaced. Also, look at Gandalf's staff in the Hobbit - its knot is all closed, and the surface looks quite a bit smoother.
The elves also managed to find/produce a new staff for Gandalf the White, so maybe staffs aren't that unique at all.

elrond72
Thanx I have always wondered if, in silm, it ever says whether the istari brought staffs with them or made them when they got to ME. Havent read silm for ages so cant remember.

Exabyte

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.