Who would survive?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Endless Mike
Say that, in both Marvel and DC, Earth suddenly explodes for no apparent reason.

No one has any warning or advance knowledge of this (not even characters with precog/time travel/etc.) so no one will be doing anything to prepare for it.

Say the explosion is as intense as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djZFHTa6TfA

Which characters would survive?

Galan007
You'd have to be a solid herald to survive that, imo.

pym-ftw
Sentry

TheGodKiller
Squirrel Girl. The Death Star being aimed at her is a decent feat for the doomsday machine though.

Endless Mike
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
Squirrel Girl. The Death Star being aimed at her is a decent feat for the doomsday machine though.

Well that goes without saying

Endless Mike
Also keep in mind that if the character is on the surface of the Earth they will only take a relatively small part of the overall explosion. So this isn't asking who could tank the entire power of the blast at once.

abhilegend
Superman survived the destruction of krypton (16 times bigger than earth) under a red sun

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_AdventuresOfSuperman461p14.jpg http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_AdventuresOfSuperman461p17.jpg http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_AdventuresOfSuperman461p18.jpg

This was byrne superman.
none

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Also keep in mind that if the character is on the surface of the Earth they will only take a relatively small part of the overall explosion. So this isn't asking who could tank the entire power of the blast at once.

Even though that is true, everyone and everything on the planets surface would be exposed to a tremendous amount of heat and kenetic energy...

Without very highend "PIS'y" feats factoring into the equation (like Thor surviving Neutron Star forces and "merciless" Celestial attacks for example), no one on Marvel Earth is surviving...

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by abhilegend
Superman survived the destruction of krypton (16 times bigger than earth) under a red sun

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_AdventuresOfSuperman461p14.jpg http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_AdventuresOfSuperman461p17.jpg http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_AdventuresOfSuperman461p18.jpg

This was byrne superman.
none

Classic case of Writer Armor...

Sans PIS, Supes dies as well...

Endless Mike

This was byrne superman.
none

And factoring in the Kryptonite... confused

I doubt that, guys like Thor and Sentry have survived much tougher stuff. There are also characters that can regenerate from energy or live on the astral plane or something

abhilegend
Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
Classic case of Writer Armor...

Sans PIS, Supes dies as well...
LOL. That's not even among the top 5 durability feats from superman. Do tell what's PIS in that scene?

JayDaDon
From marvel, Surfer(he's still on earth right?), I'd say Thor too. It should be well under his ability but lately marvel is being a d*ckass in regards to Thor. Frankay richards smiles through it and proceeds to rebuild earth.

From dc: Superman, and probably a fair amount of his physical peers.

Endless Mike
This also includes people who can survive it by powers other than durability (for example, being intangible, regenerating, or being so fast they can escape into space and outrun the explosion).

TheLordofMurder
@Endless Mike

The impact that killed off the Dinosaurs contained a force roughly equal to 10000 times the worlds entire nuclear arsenal detonating simutaneously; that blast only created a crater the size of a small state...

You literally need billions of impacts like this happening simutanously to destroy the Earth; everyone on the Earths surface would be exposes to these incredible energies...

No one is surving without PIS...

TheLordofMurder
Do tell what's PIS in that scene?

Superman surving it...

abhilegend

I doubt that, guys like Thor and Sentry have survived much tougher stuff. There are also characters that can regenerate from energy or live on the astral plane or something
Yep, superman's durability is insane.

abhilegend
Superman surving it...
That's PIS? Do you know who superman is?

JayDaDon
I just mentioned guys who have survived that and more. And that is nothing to franklin richards who, PIS or no PIS, would be just fine after that explosion.

TheLordofMurder
That's PIS? Do you know who superman is?

Yeah, a guy who frequently wears the strongest writer armor money can buy...

Endless Mike
@Endless Mike

The impact that killed off the Dinosaurs contained a force roughly equal to 10000 times the worlds entire nuclear arsenal detonating simutaneously; that blast only created a crater the size of a small state...

You literally need billions of impacts like this happening simutanously to destroy the Earth; everyone on the Earths surface would be exposes to these incredible energies...

No one is surving without PIS...

Trust me, I know all of the magnitude of the energies involved. I've done calculations for all of these things. Lots of characters have durability feats/others powers to survive this.

JakeTheBank
Thor, Hulk, Surfer, etc.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by JayDaDon
I just mentioned guys who have survived that and more. And that is nothing to franklin richards who, PIS or no PIS, would be just fine after that explosion.

Re-read the OP; Franklin doesnt know its coming...

Franklin has human durability until he wills it to be otherwise; he dies as well...

abhilegend
Yeah, a guy who frequently wears the strongest writer armor money can buy...
So you are just going to dismiss any showing you don't like?

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Thor, Hulk, Surfer, etc.

All of those guys have been killed (or been taken to Deaths Door) by far less than what they will encounter here...

Thor has been kiled by the Destroyer (with a mere mortal at its helm)...

Surfer has been killed by 7 punches from Thanos...

Once again, these arent even in the same zip code of what they will be exposed to here...

TheLordofMurder
So you are just going to dismiss any showing you don't like?

Not at all; I only dismiss what is clearly PIS...

JakeTheBank
All of those guys have been killed (or been taken to Deaths Door) by far less than what they will encounter here...

Thor has been kiled by the Destroyer (with a mere mortal at its helm)...

Surfer has been killed by 7 punches from Thanos...

Once again, these arent even in the same zip code of what they will be exposed to here...

And they have numerous showings higher than what has killed them.

Endless Mike
The Destroyer is powered by Asgardian magic and can remove matter and energy from existence... Thanos and Drax crushed a planet and moon as a side effect of grappling when he was weaker than when he beat Surfer...

abhilegend
Not at all; I only dismiss what is clearly PIS...
And that would be what? Clearly anything you don't like, let me guess. Superman has literally dozens of such feats. All of them are PIS I presume? Who died and made you the king?

TheLordofMurder
And they have numerous PIS'y showings higher than what has killed them.

Fixed it for you...

Endless Mike
He's confusing PIS with IDLI-IDH (I Don't Like It - It Didn't Happen)

TheLordofMurder
And that would be what? Clearly anything you don't like, let me guess. Superman has literally dozens of such feats. All of them are PIS I presume? Who died and made you the king?

Heralds surving planetary explosions at point blank range...definitely PIS and definitely not the norm.

Think about it; punches and kicks from characters that dont generate nowhere near the amount of force we are talking about here typically injure these Herald and lesser characters...thats the norm for them.

The difference between a strike from a Class 100 brick and the energies that will be generated from the destruction of the Earth is like considering the distance between your home and local gas station, to the distance between your home and the planet Mars...

TheLordofMurder
The Destroyer is powered by Asgardian magic and can remove matter and energy from existence... Thanos and Drax crushed a planet and moon as a side effect of grappling when he was weaker than when he beat Surfer...

The Destroyer didnt do that to Thor; it simply melted his body to goo...the destruction of Earth would do far, far, far more than that to him.

Thanos and Drax destroying a moon or planet by grappling...definitely PIS and definitely not the norm (or even close to it) for either character.

TheLordofMurder
He's confusing PIS with IDLI-IDH (I Don't Like It - It Didn't Happen)

Not at all...

What I am arguing is norm vs ridiculously, outrageously, above the norm...

NemeBro
Shut up and go **** a dinosaur you whiny crybaby.

Superman could take it without much trouble at all.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by NemeBro
Shut up and go **** a dinosaur you whiny crybaby.

Superman could take it without much trouble at all.

Screw you...

You just mad because I'm right and you dont have a reasonable counter argument...

Sans his writer armor, Supes dies as well...

Endless Mike
Just because every single attack and punch doesn't destroy the Earth doesn't mean that they're capable of it if they've repeatedly shown that kind of force. You can't have the entire world being ripped in half every time the Hulk punches somebody, that's just common sense.

TheLordofMurder
Just because every single attack and punch doesn't destroy the Earth doesn't mean that they're capable of it if they've repeatedly shown that kind of force. You can't have the entire world being ripped in half every time the Hulk punches somebody, that's just common sense.

The Earth isnt ripped in half whenever the Hulk punches something because he simply isnt strong enough to do such a thing...not even close.

Endless Mike
Except for all of the times he has done things like that...

CosmicComet
The Earth isnt ripped in half whenever the Hulk punches something because he simply isnt strong enough to do such a thing...not even close.

:facepalm:

TheLordofMurder
Except for all of the times he has done things like that...

...which are typically PIS'y.

Mindship
Any character who has survived a supernova or black hole tanks it.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by CosmicComet
:facepalm:

I know...the truth hurts.

Endless Mike
In other words you label anything you don't like PIS. IDLI-IDH

zopzop
Heralds surving planetary explosions at point blank range...definitely PIS and definitely not the norm.

Think about it; punches and kicks from characters that dont generate nowhere near the amount of force we are talking about here typically injure these Herald and lesser characters...thats the norm for them.

The difference between a strike from a Class 100 brick and the energies that will be generated from the destruction of the Earth is like considering the distance between your home and local gas station, to the distance between your home and the planet Mars...
I agree 100% with you but there's nothing we can do about this.

As to the thread, ANY herald level being survives. Nova, Galactus' WEAKEST herald, survived a star going nova point blank. Star going nova >>>>>>>>>>planetary explosion by far.

juggerman
Juggernaut

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by juggerman
Juggernaut

sad

You stole my answer ...

Shabazz916
Superman, hulk, iron man, martian manhunter.

pym-ftw
Originally posted by Shabazz916
iron man
Really?

Endless Mike
Originally posted by pym-ftw
Really?

Probably not, unless he can react super fast and pull some kind of trick in his armor like teleportation, go to another dimension, or something.

Shabazz916
Really?

Yes he ppl. Act like the planet would shoot all into one direction. He just has to outrun %40 of it because much of the earth is water so that in itself wnt kill him

Endless Mike
Um.... no. Most of the Earth's surface is water, but the oceans are only a few km deep. The vast majority of the Earth's mass is rock and metal.

Shabazz916
Um.... no. Most of the Earth's surface is water, but the oceans are only a few km deep. The vast majority of the Earth's mass is rock and metal.

Ok but what percentage of the earth will be going in a str8 line behind him ? Maybe %5 at best your time me he can outrun that and shot behimd him enough to get away frm it. Or at worst hitch a ride on a big slab on rock to ride out so he wouldnt have to do anything ??

Endless Mike
Well depends on what armor he has, if it's the kind that reacts in picoseconds and flies to the sun in a few minutes then maybe.

Mindset
Iron Fist and Doom.

Shabazz916
Well depends on what armor he has, if it's the kind that reacts in picoseconds and flies to the sun in a few minutes then maybe.

Lets see extremis iron man. I think he could outrun much of it.

Endless Mike
Maybe... if he survived though he would be seriously messed up

Shabazz916
Maybe... if he survived though he would be seriously messed up

Idk he can absorb energy and use it for his shield and thrusters. And there is alot of energy to absorb im just saying.

Endless Mike
Yeah again it's dependent on a lot of factors

Shabazz916
Yeah again it's dependent on a lot of factors

What factors ?

Endless Mike
Extremis draws its power from outside sources, if it can draw enough power in time before most of those sources are damaged in the explosion, if Tony is doing something else beforehand and has time to react, if he has a clear path to try to escape (not in a building or underground, if he tried to crash through it it would slow him down), if he's already in the armor or needs to summon it first, etc.

CosmicComet
Ghost Rider--

No, God Rider I should say.

Shabazz916
Green lantern

pym-ftw
Mr. Immortal & Butterball

carver9

Lol...can't believe you said this.

Endless Mike
Originally posted by carver9
Lol...can't believe you said this.

Why? You're going to try to twist my words?

In order to accept someone as being that powerful, they actually have to have consistent feats on that level, you know.

So if you say "X showed the power to destroy a planet consistently so he/she/it can" fine.

But if you say "X said he could destroy a planet with no proof but never did, but he can", no go.

carver9
@Mike...

You know exactly why I am saying "I cant believe you said that". Previous arguments and you using collateral damage as an indication of power. SMDH.

Endless Mike
It is an indication of power... if you want to claim a specific feat is higher or not, that's what you can use. If you want to claim the overall capability of a character, you use precedent feats.

X punches someone and does huge collateral damage

Y punches someone and does no collateral damage, but Y has consistent feats of causing that much damage/power output, then Y still competes with X.

JakeTheBank
And we also have attacks with next to no collateral damage that we know for a fact are incredibly potent in spite of that fact. Hal's Krona Buster was a focused beam of energy that didn't bust a planet or even a city, yet we know that it likely ranks in as Hal's single greatest offensive attack based on what it did (ie. bust Krona).

carver9
Let's say if a weakling had enough power to shed a moon, would someone a thousand times more powerful have to repeat the same ft in order to prove they have moon+ busting power?

carver9
And we also have attacks with next to no collateral damage that we know for a fact are incredibly potent in spite of that fact. Hal's Krona Buster was a focused beam of energy that didn't bust a planet or even a city, yet we know that it likely ranks in as Hal's single greatest offensive attack based on what it did (ie. bust Krona).

I agree. Mike usually base things off of collateral damage except when it suits him.

Endless Mike
Let's say if a weakling had enough power to shed a moon, would someone a thousand times more powerful have to repeat the same ft in order to prove they have moon+ busting power?

Assuming the feat isn't an outlier/PIS and backed up by consistent performances on that level by said character, and assuming your "1000 times more powerful" is actually based on fact and not a random number you pulled out of your ass...

carver9
So if a character destroyed a moon with a casual blast...you admit that someone thousands, if not millions of times more powerful should be able to outperform this ft without breaking a sweat?

Endless Mike
I agree. Mike usually base things off of collateral damage except when it suits him.

lol hypocrisy. You just misuse powerscaling.

Say A destroys a city, and this is consistent and not an outlier/PIS.

It's proven that B is stronger than A, and B has the same kind of power that A does.

Then you can assume B has at least enough power to do the same thing.

You can't assume B can destroy a country, or a continent, or a planet, without more data.

JakeTheBank
Carv's trying to use DBZ power scaling logic.

Endless Mike
So if a character destroyed a moon with a casual blast...you admit that someone thousands, if not millions of times more powerful should be able to outperform this ft without breaking a sweat?

Read. It's not hard.

Endless Mike
Carv's trying to use DBZ power scaling logic.

Which actually works to a degree, but not the degree he's claiming.

I'm not going to say Goku can't destroy a planet because he never did. He obviously can. But I'm not going to say he can destroy the sun, or the solar system, or the galaxy, or whatever, because based on the canon material (the manga) there is absolutely no precedent for that other than your odd hyperbole statement.

In before pr bans us for talking about DBZ... stick out tongue

bluewaterrider
Survive no matter what

Butterball
Juggernaut

Survive if planet-destroying beam itself does not strike them

Gladiator
Green Lantern (assuming ring's auto-protect)
Martian Manhunter
Silver Surfer
Supergirl
Superman
Thor

If people have even one second to react and are not struck with the planet-destroying beam itself ...

Flash (Wally West)
Magneto
Rogue (by calling forth Gladiator's invulnerability and lack of need to breathe)

NemeBro
So if a character destroyed a moon with a casual blast...you admit that someone thousands, if not millions of times more powerful should be able to outperform this ft without breaking a sweat? We could say that, if they are definitely more powerful in the same way the "weakling" is (I am pretending for a moment you are not venting about DBZ), in that a character could beat another without being powerful in the same way (Through speed, broken powersets, etc), that they could replicate the weakling's feat with greater ease, generally.

But see, wanna know how much more energy it would take to blow up Earth, than the moon?

About three orders of magnitude. A thousand times more energy.

That's an enormous difference, and Earth is not, in fact, a thousand times larger than the moon.

Mshinu
Wolverine of courze!

DickBlazer

Yep. A lot of them would survive actually

Endless Mike
Originally posted by NemeBro
We could say that, if they are definitely more powerful in the same way the "weakling" is (I am pretending for a moment you are not venting about DBZ), in that a character could beat another without being powerful in the same way (Through speed, broken powersets, etc), that they could replicate the weakling's feat with greater ease, generally.

But see, wanna know how much more energy it would take to blow up Earth, than the moon?

About three orders of magnitude. A thousand times more energy.

That's an enormous difference, and Earth is not, in fact, a thousand times larger than the moon.

Actually it's closer to 1800 times

-Pr-
Most top heralds survive either way...

wolfpack86
Wolverine would, just imo. Though it would probably take quite awhile for him to formulate somewhere else again. lol

googol
hulk and juggernaut would

The Merchant
I can see several people surviving easily. People like Sentry, Superman, etc.

googol
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Survive no matter what

Butterball
Juggernaut

Survive if planet-destroying beam itself does not strike them

Gladiator
Green Lantern (assuming ring's auto-protect)
Martian Manhunter
Silver Surfer
Supergirl
Superman
Thor

If people have even one second to react and are not struck with the planet-destroying beam itself ...

Flash (Wally West)
Magneto
Rogue (by calling forth Gladiator's invulnerability and lack of need to breathe) nice

h1a8

The difference between a strike from a Class 100 brick and the energies that will be generated from the destruction of the Earth is like considering the distance between your home and local gas station, to the distance between your home and the planet Mars... I have to agree with you here. You make a good point.

h1a8
And we also have attacks with next to no collateral damage that we know for a fact are incredibly potent in spite of that fact. Hal's Krona Buster was a focused beam of energy that didn't bust a planet or even a city, yet we know that it likely ranks in as Hal's single greatest offensive attack based on what it did (ie. bust Krona). Beams don't usually have collateral damage when they strike their target only. Collateral damage is usually from impact forces (physical strikes) and usually when a character is in contact with the ground

h1a8
Characters have such low and high showings that they shouldn't be considered the same character. So we should argue in levels.

1. High end feat heralds can survive
2. Norm everyday heralds would die
3. Low showing heralds would be almost vaporized

Branlor Swift
The planet being destroyed itself is no big deal to many many beings.

But that Death Star beam literally vaporized the planet. Shame we can't measure that against anything else though.

wallman77
Mr. Immortal & Butterball

whats happening with mr immortal nowadays anyway? sad he isnt in the main books much... or at least i dont think he is. correct me if im wrong. for a guy who's destiny is so important u would think they would feature him more.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.