The Forever War (Ridley Scott)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
Ridley Scott has apparently been trying to adapt this for 25 years. Well, he's just hired a new writer. I'm in favor of it. More science fiction from the man sounds excellent to me...

Robtard
I started and finished the book over this Thanksgiving weekend, it's pretty good.

If they follow the book and make it into a social commentary and not just try to make some flashy sci-fi, it will kick much ass.

Yurika
Usually books are better than film, but still expecting.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
If they follow the book and make it into a social commentary and not just try to make some flashy sci-fi, it will kick much ass.
Well, knowing Ridley, he's not known for laying out the meaning (social commentary) of his work, so it will probably be nothing like Starship Troopers was, but he is usually interested in the deeper significance of a story, so at the very least I would expect it to capture the spirit of the source material. He'll probably have said social commentary in there, but he won't beat us over the head with it.

Robtard
I'm hoping for something like Starship Troopers, but with a much higher production value, good actors and the story really focused on the characters and their issues/obstacles to the backdrop of a sci-fi alien war flick.

Otherwise with the exception of the 'time dilation' aspect, it's going to be nothing we've not seen many times before, humans battling an alien species.

Patient_Leech
My guess is that it'll probably be something like Kingdom of Heaven or Robin Hood in space fighting aliens instead of Arabs or the French. But hopefully it will have a bit more of a Vietnam style to it (i.e. Full Metal Jacket or Apocalypse Now).

Major_Lexington
This Sounds Good to me, more Sci-Fi always welcome!

Dolos
Only having read the synopsis of that book, it seems a realistic enough concept. As technology progresses diversity and complexity perpetuate at an increasing rate of change. Although, upon returning, they'd probably need to start over from scratch in order to learn how to wield all the new technology, making them almost obsolete if evolution is still in play.

Nonetheless it is a perfect film for the Prometheus Director in my opinion. Prometheus was very much a scientifically oriented film, so much so that most people hated it because they were not intelligent enough to "get it". stick out tongue

Ascendancy
Sounds like Starfarers meets Ender's Game or some such. I'm definitely intrigued. Just watched Starship Troopers again the other night and I need some more space action, especially considering how amazing the cinematography was for Prometheus.

rudester
is the war going to last forever?

Kazenji
Like the Cybertronian civil war?

Robtard
Originally posted by rudester
is the war going to last forever?

Over 600 years.

rudester
Originally posted by Robtard
Over 600 years.

thats a long ****en time. Who's the muther ****er who started it? Like to kick his ass.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.