Looking Ahead Killed The Jedi....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Evil Windu
I dont know where to post this since this isnt really an spoiler, But its an theroy that I came up with a few months back...
----------

While roaming other sites today I found a theory about the downfall of the Jedi, and it really made sense so I figured Id bring it over here. The lines that point directly to the fall of the Jedis downfall: "But master Yoda said I should be mindful of the future" .. "But not at the expense of the moment." That there is what is wrong with the Jedi. The Council worried about Anakins clouded future and not his current goodness.They saw what could happen, and never took notice of what WAS happening. Had they opened their eyes they'd have seen what Anakin was becoming, and not what he could become. With the time spent on what could happen to the galaxy they never saw what had already happened, and how bad it was getting. When Obi-Wan duels Anakin in EP3, It will be after trying to change him back. Had he worked to stop it before hand, well... More evidence to support this idea would be Yoda's training style. In TPM we have: "Clouded this boy's future is." In ESB we have: "Always has he looked away, to the horizon, to the future. Never his mind on where he was!" Obi-Wan and Yoda change their thinking, because they saw the flaw of looking ahead.......

Your Thoughts on this..

Julie
interesting....uh people may have too much time to think on their hands...but I like it and it does make sense....

ToMacco
I like that theory. It makes sense.

Novithiliel
Makes sense................maybe you're right....

Ushgarak
I think the MAIN problem with the Jedi relying on their predictive abilities is simply that the Sith were able to counter this. As I have mentioned elsewhere, Qui-Gon's 'act on instinct, do things NOW' approach was VERY risky but ultimately more effective. It is all rather deep and ironic and, sadly, completely lost on a vast majority of the audience who don't really want to have to think that much about a Star Wars film.

mechmoggy
So basically you're saying that the loss of the jedi order gave Yoda the kick up the arse he needed to realise that you've got to live for the moment?

I'm down with that theory. cool

Captain REX
Thanks for sharing that theory Evil Windu. I like it alot, and it makes plenty of sense.

Yes, Ush has a point with the Sith countering. They could cloud the Jedi's prediciting capabilities, making it harder for the Jedi to see.

Ushgarak
However, no point living entirely for the moment, is there? If Obi-Wan and Yoda had not planned two decades in advance with Luke then it would not have looked very encouraging for the good guys!

GordonSkywalker
I am in total agreement with Evil Windu. He makes a lot of sense.

Ushgarak
I think it is very unfair on Obi-Wan, though, who is obviously trying to keep Anakin on the straight and narrow. I think the idea that he does nothing until it is too late is not true.

GordonSkywalker
Of course it's unfair to blame poor Obi-Wan for everything that went wrong in Anakin's training! Yoda and the rest of the Council could have done something sooner to prevent this tragedy that divides the films.

Member.
and once again, evilwindu showed us how smart he isbig grin, well done dudesmilebig grin. once again its a good theory thats better than ur other one, dont get me wrong, im not saying the other ones was badstick out tongue. so u say u surf the net for this stuff? u should become our rumor/fact guy, im not jkbig grin. and whoever thought of these ideas does really have too much time on their handsstick out tongue.

Evil Windu
Yeah I have my sources, Yet I have little time because im in the Military and stuff.. I dont mind being the forums 'rumor' guy..lol.. Well anyways im gone for now..

Ushgarak
Actually, the more I look at this the less happy I am with parts of it. I think the Jedi are very MUCH aware how bad things are in the Galaxy. I also think they are very much aware of what Anakin is as opposed to what he will be.

"Had they opened their eyes they'd have seen what Anakin was becoming, and not what he could become."

I don't actually think that makes any sense; they both involve Anakin turning from something he is into something else. They judged him dangerous and as George Lucas himself has said, they were right to do so.

Looking ahead isn't a flaw of any kind at all. It was simply the Jedi's main strength and that strength was defeated by the Sith. That being the case, thet Jedi did not act in time to do anything- but not because the concept was flawed, simply because they were out-manoeuvred. Looking ahead DID kill the Jedi... but only because the Sith knew what they were doing.

I think if the Jedi had a flaw it was complacency. A thousand years without the Sith had seen their predictive powers unchallenged. So when they WERE countered by the Sith on their return, they had precious few people like Qui-Gon who esposed a different philosophy and so little epxerience of relying on anything else. I would not be surprirsed if Qui-Gon types were far more common in the past of the Star Wars universe.

Member.
hm...maybe GL leads us to believe that the jedi know everything.

Ushgarak
If you ask me he has gone to great pains to demonstrate the amount the Jedi do NOT know.

GordonSkywalker
Qui-Gon was right all along! But of course he was something of a renegade and often challenged the beliefs of the council members. He could see things they did not. Or could not.

Ushgarak
Hang on, I have the GL quote for Qui-Gon which pretty much explains the whole thing:

(ruffles through various uncatalogued text files)

Ah!

"I think it is obvious that Qui-Gon was wrong in Episode 1 and made a dangerous decision, but ultimately this decision may be correct. The Phantom Menace refers to the force of the dark side of the Universe. Anakin will be taken over by dark forces which in turn destroy the balance of the Galaxy, but the individual who kills Emperor is Darth Vader - also Anakin. The tale meanders and both the prediction, and Qui-Gonn are correct - Anakin is the chosen one, and he did bring peace at last with his own sacrfice. Luke couldn't kill the Emperor himself, but he could make Anakin reflect on his life and kill the Emperor."

Member.
yea, good point, GL doesn't want peeps to believe the jedi r godsno expression

GordonSkywalker
If anything, Jedi are depicted as being all-too-human.

Member.
thats what make SWmovies so greatbig grin

GordonSkywalker
Yeah that they're people like us and can make mistakes just like us.

Member.
except that they have lightsabers and knowledge of the force and could jump 10 stories and when they die honorably, they can live in force.stick out tongue, SW roxbig grin

Ushgarak
That last bit is a tad more dodgy...

GordonSkywalker
Basically they're like us.

aneekin

Captain REX
I hate you so much, aneekin...

But wooo, there I am 2 years ago! big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.