Gamestop...wheres the power?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Villelater
if gamestop didn't exist there would be more power to the players...by existing it has to tell videogame companys to leave stuff out just for them to sell it exclusively...even though a game disc should have enough space to hold that bit of extra data...and there work ethics&policies suck...i have ideas that could improve gamestop

-Pr-
I don't shop at Gamestop, so I have no idea what they do or don't do.

ScreamPaste
Been watching Extra Credits?

Morridini
I never buy at GameStop, however that is not due to any protest against their DLC trickery, but rather the fact that they are extremely overpriced. I have no idea how a shop that sells games for twice the price as other retailers can survive...

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Villelater
if gamestop didn't exist there would be more power to the players...by existing it has to tell videogame companys to leave stuff out just for them to sell it exclusively...even though a game disc should have enough space to hold that bit of extra data...and there work ethics&policies suck...i have ideas that could improve gamestop

Same can be said about Amazon and Best Buy you know. Gamestop's not the only one to do this pre-order exclusive nonsense so no. Even if Gamestop didn't exist, we'd still have these bonuses we get today that are no more valuable than getting an exclusive tattoo for your character's right buttock. If you want to complain about Gamestop, talk about their stupid trade in values no expression

BackFire
Gamestop will be dead in a decade when all games are sold digitally.

Kazenji
Originally posted by BackFire
Gamestop will be dead in a decade when all games are sold digitally.

I doubt all games only the indie ones.

Morridini
Ops, I misread...why doesn't the delete button work?

Morridini
Ops, I misread...why doesn't the delete button work?

EDIT: And why did me clicking delete duplicate my post?

Kazenji
As for Gamestop, I buy from them since they're called EB here in Australia

haven't had any real complaints with them really.

XanatosForever
Originally posted by Morridini
I have no idea how a shop that sells games for twice the price as other retailers can survive...

Marketing.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Kazenji
I doubt all games only the indie ones.

It's starting to go into that direction.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new breed of consoles really push the digital purchases.

Look at Steam/Origin/etc.. in the PC market. Digital purchases has revitalized the marketplace for PC games. A few years ago, everybody was saying PC gaming is becoming dead but now, it's doing extremely well. Indie and big publishers.

There used to be a fair amount of games that were only released on consoles and now, most games that can work on the PC, are on it and ported pretty well.

It only make sense for publishers to release games online only. Less hassle and more money.

It will be the same thing as what's happening now in the retail market. I recently read a Wired article about Best Buy and how they are trying to rework how they do business. They were seeing people coming into the store, trying out the merchandise and then leaving, and buying it on Amazon at a cheaper rate. So what they are trying to do is have sales associates with tablets, show you the merchandise, let you try it out and then pull up various online stores and then price match it right away.

Peach
Morridini, your delete button isn't supposed to work. Only mods can delete posts; that's how it's always been.

Anyway, what a mess. No one single retailer has the power to tell a publisher "no, you must do this". Why? Because then that'd run the risk of damaging the relationship with that publisher and the ability to carry their games, which could ruin the retailer. Gamestop isn't the only retailer to do exclusive bonuses, and Amazon was doing it before it became common in brick and mortar stores anyway. However, it's nothing new. It's been happening for years, and every retailer does it. Amazon does, Gamestop does, Target does, Best Buy does...it's very common, and it's not going away any time soon, as it's an easy and cheap way for retailers to entice people to come and shop at their stores.

And no, gaming is not going to go all-digital anytime soon. Broadband internet is still not universally available; the infrastructure for it in the US, for example, is garbage. It may have helped PC gaming, but that's a whole different animal than console gaming anyway. If anything they'll just keep shifting things towards having digital copies alongside physical copies available, but it's not going to go all-digital, at least within the next five years.

However, being as retailers have the ability to sell DLC...things going to digital isn't going to kill traditional retailers anyway. Smart businesses adapt by going with the times and diversifying.

Now, I could tell some stories about how working there sucks...(how much it changed when EB was bought by GS, and then when GS became publicly traded; blatant favoritism that exists as you go higher up the chain; the fact that they want us to be, essentially, salesmen without any of the benefits of doing so; constant cutting of hours when they give the bare minimum already; and so on and so forth)...but I'm not going to right now, as this thread is already off-topic for this forum, which is meant to be about video games, not complaining about stores.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.