Life of Pi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Insomniatric
Didn't see a thread on this, so I thought I'd make one.

I saw most of this movie last weekend, but something came up about 3/4 of the way through and we had to leave.

I really liked what I saw, and I want to go back to see the whole thing.

I didn't see it in 3D, but this would definitely be a good movie to see in 3D, it had crazy looking effects.

If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it.

Also, you will probably despise the hyena if you see it. Just saying.

Patient_Leech
I've been wanting to see this actually... I read good things. And yeah, I read that the 3D in it is pretty spectacular.

siriuswriter
Yeah, I've read the book. I can't wait to see this - i've watched the trailer and any other videos I could get my hands on - It really is "the next Avatar," visually speaking.
So it isn't just the tiger and Pi? I was hoping they would skip the part with the orangutan, zebra, and hyena, and all that.

Insomniatric - was there an "alternate explanation" at the end?

Insomniatric
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Yeah, I've read the book. I can't wait to see this - i've watched the trailer and any other videos I could get my hands on - It really is "the next Avatar," visually speaking.
So it isn't just the tiger and Pi? I was hoping they would skip the part with the orangutan, zebra, and hyena, and all that.

Insomniatric - was there an "alternate explanation" at the end?

Haven't read the book, but I'll probably check it out.

Yeah, the effects are pretty insane. And yeah, the zebra, orangutan, and hyena are in it. Everyone in the theater hated the hyena, lol.

I didn't get to see the end because unfortunately we had to leave the theater about 3/4 of the way through. I'm hoping to go back at some point to watch the whole thing.

siriuswriter
Aha - yeah, you put the part about not seeing the end in your first post.

The reason why I ask is because there is an "alternate ending" in the book - Pi is telling the man about the animals... and then he says something like... "you think this is so much fantasy? Maybe you like this explanation better..." And then he goes on. That revelation makes you look back on the story in a whole new, much more symbolic way. It pretty much caused an uproar when "Life of Pi" the book came out. It's a lot of why the movie was unfilmable, in my opinion.

Insomniatric
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Aha - yeah, you put the part about not seeing the end in your first post.

The reason why I ask is because there is an "alternate ending" in the book - Pi is telling the man about the animals... and then he says something like... "you think this is so much fantasy? Maybe you like this explanation better..." And then he goes on. That revelation makes you look back on the story in a whole new, much more symbolic way. It pretty much caused an uproar when "Life of Pi" the book came out. It's a lot of why the movie was unfilmable, in my opinion.

From the reviews I've read, they did include the twist ending in the movie.

"it has a final plot twist that may also change what you thought you knew about the ancient art of storytelling."

-Joe Morgenstern

siriuswriter
So, they do include it.

Okay, this is officially and "at-home" movie for me.

Yurika
Some of my friends also recommend this movie to me. So it may worth the time to watch it.

Villelater
yeah but would you watch it everyday the rest of your life good?

Patient_Leech
Plannin' to see this on Friday in 3D. Lookin' forward to it.

bluehouse
It's nice, I just see the movie. It's full entertainment.

sharmaalisha807
it is good movie and i like it.

Patient_Leech
LOVED it. Do yourself a favor and see this in Three-Dee. Magnificent visuals and beautiful story.

Patient_Leech
I really think this deserves some serious awards: cinematography, best actor, best director, best picture. Probably a little too enlightened, subtly subversive, and smart, though, to get the credit it deserves.

It sticks with you and makes you think. 2 big thumbs up. thumb up thumb up

FrothByte
Well I didn't read the book, but here's my two cents on the movie:

1st part was pretty dragging. I mean, it's not bad, just that I felt the movie could have gone without the whole backstory to PI.

The middle part was awesome. The interaction between Pi and the Tiger was incredible... and surprisingly realistic. I was expecting some cliche Disney-like relationship between man and animal but what I got was a very realistic courtship of man and animal.

The last part, although it does give that twist, I felt was a bit of a let down. It wasn't bad, just that it didn't quite offer a closure as good as the movie deserved. Made you feel like you were left hanging and wanting for more.

kumarsomya19
Hey Guy's,Life of Pi is a 2012 American adventure drama film based on Yann Martel's 2001 novel of the same name.The Life of Pi is everyone's life; the film is one of the best of the year and, even remembering the greatness of The Old Man and the Sea, Moby Dick, and Billy Budd, the best you will ever see about a boy, a tiger, and a boat.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I really think this deserves some serious awards: cinematography, best actor, best director, best picture. Probably a little too enlightened, subtly subversive, and smart, though, to get the credit it deserves.

It sticks with you and makes you think. 2 big thumbs up. thumb up thumb up

Ang Lee did direct it. His name'll bring it to the forefront, betcha anything.
But do you think that the "alternative ending" will let it pass through to the "Best Picture" category?

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by FrothByte
Well I didn't read the book, but here's my two cents on the movie:

1st part was pretty dragging. I mean, it's not bad, just that I felt the movie could have gone without the whole backstory to PI.

The middle part was awesome. The interaction between Pi and the Tiger was incredible... and surprisingly realistic. I was expecting some cliche Disney-like relationship between man and animal but what I got was a very realistic courtship of man and animal.

The last part, although it does give that twist, I felt was a bit of a let down. It wasn't bad, just that it didn't quite offer a closure as good as the movie deserved. Made you feel like you were left hanging and wanting for more.

I thought the beginning was dragging a bit when I was watching it, but after the film ended I felt like it was necessary to establish the ground work for the themes the movie presents as it shifts into a religious allegory (maybe religious isn't accurate, philosophical allegory maybe? It's more a commentary on faith then it is on religion and faith and religion can be mutually exclusive).

Fantastic movie with amazing visuals and great a great performance from the lead. The message was a tad heavy handed, but it's still an inspiring tale. Anyway it's worth seeing on the big screen for the sheer beauty of it.

jessepaul01
Very Awesome movie , M watch this movie with mine friends and a late night show and have a great fun to enjoy this movie ...smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.