Ring of Powah!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sin I AM
Not really a versus forum thread and I hope the mods don't close this bit I have a question.

Do more rings mean more power? If you are a standard GL and your given 10 rings, would that put you over the top of your class? Or would you just be the same. And if it does give a significant boost, just how powerful would that make you? Trans? Sky?

Hal with 10 rings vs SMP....can he beat him? And if so how far up the ladder will he get?

Blair Wind
Yes, you get more power - but I don't think each ring gives you such a bump that you jump tiers each time you get one.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Yes, you get more power - but I don't think each ring gives you such a bump that you jump tiers each time you get one.

Based on what then? I always thought of them as twenty gallon tank of gas, and by adding another ring you'd essentially be adding another tank...

Juntai
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Based on what then? I always thought of them as twenty gallon tank of gas, and by adding another ring you'd essentially be adding another tank... No. It's an amp. Read Emerald Twilight issue 2. You can visibly see the difference in the amount of power Hal was wielding from the beginning to the part of the story where he dropped them all.

He goes from the beginning with one ring, all his constructs and bubbles are clean slightly glowing lines. To the later he has a fistfulls of rings and is just arcing energy in all directions in a massive radius around him like a supersaiyan. Even his fist looks like he's carrying a lightning storm rather than the soft glow of a single lantern ring.

As he's running through lanters and collecting the rings, fights go from PAGES long battles, to single panels, even though he's fighting tougher and tougher competition.

When he encounters Kilowog, he says "You can't beat me Kilowog, you can see how I'm armed.", -- Kilowog doesn't even pose as a threat.

Later, when he encounters Sinestro. Sinestro says his victory is a "forgone conclusion" when he's wielding that much power. So Hal takes them off.

More rings. More power.

-Pr-
Yep. It's been shown a few times too.

SquallX
If you read Blackest Night, it shows having more rings means more power. Sinestro became the White lantern because of all the rings merging together i believe.

Same thing with Kyle right now in the new Green Lantern arc. He's learning how to access all the rings so he can become Super lantern once more.

JakeTheBank
As far as the actual battle here goes, I doubt Hal could beat Prime with 10 rings.

Cyborg Superman was 10 rings roughed up badly on Superman, but was later defeated. I'd think Hank rocking the rings would boost him to about trans level, no more. I don't think Hal with 10 Oan rings would make him any more powerful than Hank nor capable of beating Prime.

Then again, if Hal attempted to "Krona Buster" him, he might kill Prime to death.

Juntai
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
As far as the actual battle here goes, I doubt Hal could beat Prime with 10 rings.

Cyborg Superman was 10 rings roughed up badly on Superman, but was later defeated. I'd think Hank rocking the rings would boost him to about trans level, no more. I don't think Hal with 10 Oan rings would make him any more powerful than Hank nor capable of beating Prime.

Then again, if Hal attempted to "Krona Buster" him, he might kill Prime to death. Psh.
Rookie Hal with one ring beat pre-Zero Hour Hallax. big grin

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Juntai
Psh.
Rookie Hal with one ring beat pre-Zero Hour Hallax. big grin

Which is a ridiculous outlier, but the rings perhaps best embody "high end feats" due to their nature and source of power.

Plus even in the early/mid 90s, power rings were doing a lot more impressive stuff than energy beams and simple constructs as it seems to be under Johns' pen.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by SquallX
If you read Blackest Night, it shows having more rings means more power. Sinestro became the White lantern because of all the rings merging together i believe.

Same thing with Kyle right now in the new Green Lantern arc. He's learning how to access all the rings so he can become Super lantern once more.

I did. And nowhere did it outwardly state that more rings meant more power. They give them more power to use but not more power

-Pr-
I did. And nowhere did it outwardly state that more rings meant more power. They give them more power to use but not more power

It's both.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by -Pr-
It's both.

Explain

-Pr-
Explain

You do get more juice that you can use, so you get more power and more powerful.

Sin I AM
No. Your taking it too literal. It increases the charge that's it. So one equals 100% and ten 1000%. Two rings does however help when a task is beyond a single rings capabilities like when Hal went ape shit and tried to rebuild coast city.

Juntai
It's both. thumb up

Juntai
No. Your taking it too literal. It increases the charge that's it. So one equals 100% and ten 1000%. Two rings does however help when a task is beyond a single rings capabilities like when Hal went ape shit and tried to rebuild coast city. I explained above that Emerald Twilight explains in both story and art that he was more powerful the more rings he got. He went from fighting fairly evenly with some lanterns individually, to railroading them. The art went from neat little outlines like you usually see to MASSIVE arcs of energy flowing from and around him. Hal commented on it to Killowog, and Sinestro commented on it to Hal.

Sin I AM
I saw your explanation, the I just disagree with it.

Juntai
I saw your explanation, the I just disagree with it. Disagreeing with what's both written and clearly drawn/depicted in the issue? OK buddy.

-Pr-
No. Your taking it too literal. It increases the charge that's it. So one equals 100% and ten 1000%. Two rings does however help when a task is beyond a single rings capabilities like when Hal went ape shit and tried to rebuild coast city.

I'm going by the comics themselves.

Rings aren't like they used to be with that stupid charge limitation that Johns brings up constantly. They had it, sure, but it wasn't referenced nearly as much.

Look at guys like Henshaw for example. The Hal example from Emerald Twilight too.

Hal was stopped from building Coast City by the rules, not because the ring couldn't do it.

Juntai
I'm going by the comics themselves.

Rings aren't like they used to be with that stupid charge limitation that Johns brings up constantly. They had it, sure, but it wasn't referenced nearly as much.

Look at guys like Henshaw for example. The Hal example from Emerald Twilight too.

Hal was stopped from building Coast City by the rules, not because the ring couldn't do it. He couldn't do it because the Guardians stopped it.

-Pr-
He couldn't do it because the Guardians stopped it.

Exactly. Personal gain etc.

Sin I AM
Disagreeing with what's both written and clearly drawn/depicted in the issue? OK buddy.

It can be taken both ways

-Pr-
heh.

Juntai
It can be taken both ways That's what she said.

Juntai
But no, not really. He's depicted in battle as stronger, more easily smashing enemies with power-rings themselves, when he was struggling at first against lesser lanterns. The energy coming off of him and his blasts are clearly far more powerful. His constructs just run theirs over.

And both he and the 'final boss' of the story both comment that he's much more powerful because he's wielding more rings.

There is no other logical way to see that.

SquallX
Originally posted by JakeTheBank

Then again, if Hal attempted to "Krona Buster" him, he might kill Prime to death.

No amount of rings is helping Hal beat Prime.

DarkSaint85

So if you shoot 1000% of power in one second, and 100% of power in another second...which Krona Buster has more power??

Power is the rate at which energy is transferred. So if one tank is larger than the other, and the power output is limited by your will...assuming you are able to summon the willpower to do it, having more rings will make you able to give off more energy.

jitay
Bump

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.