Richard the Lionheart vs Miyamoto Musashi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CosmicComet
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_edmKrgBV5IQ/SKm6b-GodFI/AAAAAAAAAwY/cRlWRTCRobI/s400/lionheart_edited.jpg

vs.

http://japanesewarrior.org/images/stories/masters/miyamoto%20musashi_1.jpg

At their peak, standard equipment for both.

I had no idea where else this could go, so I hope All-Versus will be cool enough to accommodate it. no expression

ScreamPaste
This should be good.

ScreamPaste
What does standard equipment entail, exactly? mmm Does Richard get a horse?

CosmicComet
No horses.

And as far as standard equipment, for Richard of course his one handed or one and half handed sword, along with kite shield, and a Danish Axe (yes he used a Danish Axe) and I guess a little dagger on the side, whatever armor he used.

Mushashi, two katanas as he was apparently a consistent duel wielder, a wakizashi for the side and a Yari spear I suppose, and whatever armor or clothing he wore to battle.

Lek Kuen
I'm familiar with Musashi, but what are Richard's combat feats?

NemeBro
Being a ****ing lunatic.

Richard the Lionheart was such a vicious sodomite of a man that I foresee this ended with Musashi mounted by the Lion and with a ballgag in his mouth, stifling all his cries, but unable to hide his tears of pain.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by CosmicComet
No horses.

And as far as standard equipment, for Richard of course his one handed or one and half handed sword, along with kite shield, and a Danish Axe (yes he used a Danish Axe) and I guess a little dagger on the side, whatever armor he used.

Mushashi, two katanas as he was apparently a consistent duel wielder, a wakizashi for the side and a Yari spear I suppose, and whatever armor or clothing he wore to battle. Chainmail kind of neuters the katanas.

MooCowofJustice
So basically Knight vs Samurai?

Not to like, root for the Samurai or anything, but I'm pretty sure that Musashi was famous for ingenuity and quick thinking in battle. Though I think Samurai duels had lots of prep time.

Lord Lucien
This is the kind of thing Deadliest Warrior should have done, not Knight vs. Pirate. F*ckin' stupidheads.

Originally posted by Lek Kuen
I'm familiar with Musashi, but what are Richard's combat feats? Getting a fever and dying from a random crossbow bolt. But not at the same time.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
Chainmail kind of neuters the katanas.
As far as cuts go yes, but its still going to hurt getting hit by a 2-3 lb sword. That's just as much as a baseball bat weighs actually.

Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
So basically Knight vs Samurai?

Not to like, root for the Samurai or anything, but I'm pretty sure that Musashi was famous for ingenuity and quick thinking in battle. Though I think Samurai duels had lots of prep time.

Musashi however, was accustomed to fighting the same kinda opponents. He has not, to my knowledge, ever dueled a sword + shield user, or an axe + shield user.

ScreamPaste
The bat is weighted differently, though, with the weight concentrated at the end. Slashing swords didn't distribute weight in this way, not quite the same thing.

CosmicComet
True Fax.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
This is the kind of thing Deadliest Warrior should have done, not Knight vs. Pirate. F*ckin' stupidheads.

Getting a fever and dying from a random crossbow bolt. But not at the same time.

He didn't get killed in battle, it was some shooting random bolts over the castle during peace time, it struck his shoulder, and the wound became infectious after removing the bolt.

Lord Lucien

CosmicComet
1. I never said you did. I was clarifying on a vague statement.

2. Peacetime. Reprieve. Whatever you want to call it, they were not dressed for battle. And he was also able to have the crossbowman, a boy, be brought before him.

Wikipedia is exactly where I went.

Lord Lucien
You call a siege 'peacetime'? Send me a copy of your thesaurus, it's probably inside out.

ares834
Originally posted by NemeBro
Being a ****ing lunatic.

Richard the Lionheart was such a vicious sodomite of a man that I foresee this ended with Musashi mounted by the Lion and with a ballgag in his mouth, stifling all his cries, but unable to hide his tears of pain.

thumb up

Sounds like my kind of dude.

BloodRain
http://japanesewarrior.org/images/stories/masters/miyamoto%20musashi_1.jpg
Miyamoto chokes a ***** with one hand while in combat with another, he takes it for that reason alone.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by BloodRain
Miyamoto chokes a ***** with one hand while in combat with another, he takes it for that reason alone. Realistically, his load out will lose to Richard's based solely on practicality.

AmbientFire
I'm going to have to go with Musashi on this one. He killed his first samurai when he was 13, and he was never defeated in combat. I'm trying to find credible sources on this, but it is said he defeated/killed 60 men in duels before he retired from fighting.

He also participated in 6 wars, developed his own school of martial arts. One occasion he duelled against several senior students and the master of a martial arts school at the same time, managed to kill the master, and make his "tactical retreat". Richard may have seemed like a lunatic, but I can't find any records of him killing a man when he himself was 13.

NemeBro
None of that matters.

Musashi has Richard's permission to die... But only after Richie the Buttplunderer violates Musashi's rectum and ruptures it.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by AmbientFire
I'm going to have to go with Musashi on this one. He killed his first samurai when he was 13, and he was never defeated in combat. I'm trying to find credible sources on this, but it is said he defeated/killed 60 men in duels before he retired from fighting.

He also participated in 6 wars, developed his own school of martial arts. One occasion he duelled against several senior students and the master of a martial arts school at the same time, managed to kill the master, and make his "tactical retreat". Richard may have seemed like a lunatic, but I can't find any records of him killing a man when he himself was 13. And yet he has no way to pierce chain mail, has never encountered a fighter with a shield before, and is likely the smaller combatant with a smaller weapon, Richard is described as having been a tall man.

BloodRain
Realistically, his load out will lose to Richard's based solely on practicality.
AmbientFire made a good point that Musashi was likely the more skilled one and better in combat, but that shield and chain-mail would be a little much to handle..

CosmicComet
Killing a man at 13 is cool--needs more context though, but not as cool as having been leading small armies by the time you are 16, which Richard was.

NemeBro
That means frankly very little in terms of a one on one fight you stupid pile of cow manure.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by NemeBro
That means frankly very little in terms of a one on one fight you stupid pile of cow manure. You were the one who highlighted how insane it was to call that encounter a duel.

Let's be clear, Musashi doesn't just yell "SURPRISE!" and attack Richard while he's busy in this thread. uhuh Richard's army leading experience is legitimately more relevant.

As is his axe. Musashi's largest advantage, imho, is that he comes from a later period in history, and his armour might have steel plates rather than the laminated leather and bamboo typical of earlier times.

The axe Richard carries into this thread should still be effective in that scenario, able to break bones even if it doesn't get through. He also has a shield, which is extremely practical.

AmbientFire
Killing a man at 13 is cool--needs more context though, but not as cool as having been leading small armies by the time you are 16, which Richard was.

Well, there was a Chinese 2-year old emperor who "lead" his army into battle (and got tossed off a cliff after said battle). That doesn't mean that he alone commanded the battle.

Wasn't a spear in Musashi's thread load out? How well does a spear work against a chainmail? (either piercing or blunt trauma?) Also, is Richard's face, hands, and other joints entirely covered by superior armour? I looked around a bit and it seems that Richard's legs would've been uncovered from the knees down, his hands would've been uncovered, his face would be open-helmet with a nasal-protector possibly.

Another question is how cumbersome Richard's armour was, how much did it weigh? One of Musashi's favoured strategies was the waiting game - it is highly conceivable that he would wait for Richard's armour to get too heavy for him to move effectively (remember, all the weight of that armour goes on his shoulders, it's not evenly distributed as later armour tech is) and then strike.

Another aspect of shields is that they (assuming Richard used anything like a heater shield) leave the legs relatively unprotected, and limit usage of the shield arm.

Anyhoo TLDR - Musashi waits Richard out and goes for his legs until Richard can't effectively walk anymore. Now he's tired, can't move his legs, and the longer the fight goes on, the less likely it is that he can use his arms effectively - his shield arm couldn't be used effectively to begin with because of the shield, but that's another story.

AmbientFire
I forgot to mention that Musashi's skill with the sword was such that he actually stopped using the katana and duelled his opponents with wooden swords instead. It didn't stop them from dying. So yeah.

NemeBro
Richard has a kite shield in this thread.

You were the one who highlighted how insane it was to call that encounter a duel.

Let's be clear, Musashi doesn't just yell "SURPRISE!" and attack Richard while he's busy in this thread. uhuh Richard's army leading experience is legitimately more relevant.

As is his axe. Musashi's largest advantage, imho, is that he comes from a later period in history, and his armour might have steel plates rather than the laminated leather and bamboo typical of earlier times.

The axe Richard carries into this thread should still be effective in that scenario, able to break bones even if it doesn't get through. He also has a shield, which is extremely practical. Nowhere did I say the Musashi example demonstrated his duel capabilities. I just pointed out that leading armies doesn't either, stupid *****.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.