Highest writer - Kill count?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

-K-M-
As the thread says, who has generally killed off the most well-established characters? For instance I posted three examples

Brian Bendis
-Agamotto?: The New Avengers #6 (vol. 2)
-Ant-Man II: Avengers #500 (Brought back by different writer)
-Ares: Seige #2
-Brother Voodoo: The New Avengers #6 (vol. 2)
-Daniel Drumm??: New Avengers
-Doctor Octopus (Ultimate U): Ultimate Spider-Man #157
-Echo: Moon Knight #9 (vol 4)
-Hawkeye: Avengers #502 (Brought back in House of M by Bendis)
-Guardian: New Avengers #16 (Brought back by different writer)
-Gwen Stacy - Original (Ultimate U): Ultimate Spider-Man #62
-Jack of Heart: Avengers #500 (Brought back by different writer)
-Jennifer Kale???: New Avengers
-Major Mapleleaf II: New Avengers #16
-Lindy Reynolds: Dark Avengers #14
-Loki: Seige #4 (Brought back by different writer)
-Puck I: New Avengers #16 (Brought back by different writer)
-Puck II: New Avengers #16
-Richard Fisk: Daredevil #31
-Shaman: New Avengers #16 (Brought back by different writer)
-Sentry: Seige #4
-Spider-Man (Ultimate U): Ultimate Spider-Man
-Victoria Hand: New Avengers #32 (vol.2)
-Vindicator II: New Avengers #16 (Brought back by different writer)
-Vision: Avengers #500 (Brought back by different writer)
-Xorn???: New Avengers

Also responsible for removing:
*Chaos Magic: Avengers Disassembled (Brought back by different writer)
*Mutant population: House of M (starting to be brought back by a different writer)

Jeph Loeb
-Angel (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #4
-Beast (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #1
-Blob (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #3
-Cannonball (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #3
-Cyclops (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #5
-Dazzler(Ultimate U): Ultimatum #1
-Detonator (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #3
-Doctor Doom (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #5
-Doctor Strange (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #4
-Emma Frost (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #3
-Forge (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #3
-Hard-Drive (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #3
-Hank Pym (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #3
-Longshot (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #3
-Magneto (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #5
-Nightcrawler (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #1
-Polaris (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #3
-Professor X (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #2
-Sunspot (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #3
-Thor (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #3 (brought back by a different writer)
-Wasp (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #2
-Wolverine (Ultimate U): Ultimatum #5*

*Many more chracters died in that event, but they were written by different writers

Rick Remender
-Ant-Man III (Eric O'Grady): Secret Avengers #23 (kind of brought back, LMD is being used)
-Archangel: Uncanny X-Force #18 (brought back by same writer)
-Blob (AoA U): Uncanny X-Force #33
-Captain Marvel: Secret Avengers #28
-Daken??: Uncanny X-Force #34
-Demon-Ock?? (AoA U): Uncanny X-Force #13
-Fantomex: Uncanny X-Force #27
-Ice Man (AoA U): Uncanny X-Force #24
-Jamie Braddock: Uncanny X-Force #23
-John Steele: Secret Avengers #29
-Kirka Yashida (AoA U): Uncanny X-Force #12
-Max Fury: Secret Avengers #33
-Storm/Orordius??? (AoA U): Uncanny X-Force #13
-Punisher: Dark Reign: The List - The Punisher #1 (brought back by same writer)
-Skinless Man???: Uncanny X-Force #34
-Sunfire (AoA U): Uncanny X-Force #18
-Wild Child (AoA U): Uncanny X-Force #17

Branlor Swift
Starlin killed half a universe, and then a full universe.

He also wiped out almost all the New Gods.

-K-M-
Won't include Marvel: The End as there have been a few stories where the universe was stuffed out and they basically came back in the same issue. However, New Gods is a great example though. thumb up

Golgo13
What did Xorn and Fantomex die of?

Q99
I'm going to suspect Simon Furman. He killed a lot of Transformers, and on some occasions (Starscream with the Underbase, Unicorn, Time Wars) killed off giant sections of the cast in one go.

Here's the death list of just the Underbase battle:
The Aerialbots (5 bots), Hound, Bluestreak, Mirage, Hoist, Brawn, Gears, Goldbug, Jazz, the Seacons (6 bots), Jetfire, Blaster, the Throttlebots (5 bots), Thundercracker, Skywarp, the Dinobots (5 bots), the Predacons (5 bots), Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, Octane, Astrotrain, Blitzwing, the Technobots (5 bots), the Terrorcons (5 bots), Omega Supreme, Ratbat and Starscream.

That's 56 pre-existing characters in one story. Now, some of those are fairly minor, especially the minor members of teams, but that is quite a list and contains some major ones as well.

The Unicron story: Brainstorm, Xaaron, Cloudburst, Highbrow, Finback, Misfire, Hardhead, Bomb-Burst, Joyride, Waverider, Scorponok, Thunderwing, Mindwipe, Runabout, Apeface, Sureshot, Hosehead, Runamuck, and of course Unicron. A 'mere' 19!

And these aren't off-screen 'kills everything then brings them back' deaths or what-if deaths at that. These were kills in the middle of an ongoing.

-K-M-
Originally posted by Golgo13
What did Xorn and Fantomex die of?

Fantomex was killed by the Skinless Man, and Xorn was thrown into the sun by Sentry

-K-M-
Originally posted by Q99
I'm going to suspect Simon Furman. He killed a lot of Transformers, and on some occasions (Starscream with the Underbase, Unicorn, Time Wars) killed off giant sections of the cast in one go.

The Aerialbots (5 bots), Hound, Bluestreak, Mirage, Hoist, Brawn, Gears, Goldbug, Jazz, the Seacons (6 bots), Jetfire, Blaster, the Throttlebots (5 bots), Thundercracker, Skywarp, the Dinobots (5 bots), the Predacons (5 bots), Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, Octane, Astrotrain, Blitzwing, the Technobots (5 bots), the Terrorcons (5 bots), Omega Supreme, Ratbat and Starscream.

That's 56 pre-existing characters in one story. Now, some of those are fairly minor, especially the minor members of teams, but that is quite a list and contains some major ones as well.

The Unicron story: Brainstorm, Xaaron, Cloudburst, Highbrow, Finback, Misfire, Hardhead, Bomb-Burst, Joyride, Waverider, Scorponok, Thunderwing, Mindwipe, Runabout, Apeface, Sureshot, Hosehead, Runamuck, and of course Unicron. A 'mere' 19!

And these aren't off-screen 'kills everything then brings them back' deaths or what-if deaths at that. These were kills in the middle of an ongoing.

Nice thumb up

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by -K-M-
Fantomex was killed by the Skinless Man, and Xorn was thrown into the sun by Sentry Fanto came alive at the end of the series I thought? Now you're making me question if that's right.

And Xorn was just a consciousness at that point, to expand on it more.

Brian had Sentry rip Carnage in half though, and killed Thor's rep.

-K-M-
Nope still dead, Skinless Man actually crushed his heart. There will be a female Fantomex appearing soon, but hasnt happened yet. Unless it happened in another series.

Yeah, but still died that's why I included him. Same with how Brother voodoo's brother was a ghost but Dr.Strange killed him.

But later on Carnage was shown to have survived that attack but was missing both his legs. He didn't technically die, same for Wasp.

Branlor Swift
Nope still dead, Skinless Man actually crushed his heart. There will be a female Fantomex appearing soon, but hasnt happened yet. Unless it happened in another series.

Yeah, but still died that's why I included him. Same with how Brother voodoo's brother was a ghost but Dr.Strange killed him.

But later on Carnage was shown to have survived that attack but was missing both his legs. He didn't technically die, same for Wasp. Ah yes, I skimmed through it fast. Crushing his uncle's hearts in front of Kid Apoc... heh.

No, just saying why someone would have missed it.

That goes under "brought back by different writers" though. For all intents and purposes, Bendis killed him off for 5 and a half years.

-K-M-
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Ah yes, I skimmed through it fast. Crushing his uncle's hearts in front of Kid Apoc... heh.

No, just saying why someone would have missed it.

That goes under "brought back by different writers" though. For all intents and purposes, Bendis killed him off for 5 and a half years.

Yeah pretty heartless...get it? get it? get it? Not sure where this female Fantomex is going to come from. I bet Puck will have sex with her though

Gotcha.

He didn't technically die though, sort of a grey area.

Branlor Swift
Yeah pretty heartless...get it? get it? get it? Not sure where this female Fantomex is going to come from. I bet Puck will have sex with her though

Gotcha.

He didn't technically die though, sort of a grey area. Oh you scallywag!

Yeah, it was handled well. But I bet if someone would have asked Bendis about it before hand, he would have been like "that mother****er's dead, get out of my face before I slash it!"

JakeTheBank
Geoff Johns killed quite a few people, I reckon.

-Pr-
Yup... And not just in the reboot either.

Q99
Nice thumb up

And I want to make very clear that that is just a sampling of his works and death pile smile

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by -Pr-
Yup... And not just in the reboot either.

Yeah, we have the people he's killed in JSA, Green Lantern and its various arcs and events, Infinite Crisis, etc.

-Pr-
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Yeah, we have the people he's killed in JSA, Green Lantern and its various arcs and events, Infinite Crisis, etc.

The body count in Sinestro Corps was pretty extensive.

-K-M-
Has to be well established characters, not just generic no name people.

-Pr-
Has to be well established characters, not just generic no name people.

He killed off a few named Lanterns in that.

If that's not enoguh, there's Blackest Night.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Q99

Budiansky wrote the Underbase saga, IIRC... That was the US comic line. Time Wars was like UK equivalent culling.
Furman did the almost equally character list damaging 'Timewars', and the Unicron battles..

-K-M-
Originally posted by -Pr-
He killed off a few named Lanterns in that.

If that's not enoguh, there's Blackest Night.

Yep, Blackest Night works...list the characters is what Im getting at.

curryman
Looks like Bendis took out Hank Pym also now.

-Pr-
Yep, Blackest Night works...list the characters is what Im getting at.

Better late than never, right?

1.Black Hand
2.Hawkman ( Carter Hall)
3.Hawkgirl (Shiera Saunders)
4.Solomon Grundy
5.Tempest (Garth)
6.Veon
7.Ash
8.Saarek
9.Gehenna
10.Hawk II (Holly Granger)
11.Dr.Polaris II
12.Damage
13.Vice
14.Chaselon
15.Kyle Rayner

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.