Outgrowing Your Rogues

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Digi
At one point when I was making the original Spidey respect thread, I realized that he ALWAYS beat his villains handily after about the first 10 years of ASM. Basically, by the mid 70's, the villains were only dangerous in so far as they endangered other people.

Of course, there are exceptions. Kingpin was literally the only exception to this rule for years. Parker could dominate almost anyone else once he got angry and took the kid gloves off. Venom during his initial run (and then he also started being portrayed < Spidey). But so many villains - Shocker, Scorpion, Doc Ock, Osborn (yes, especially him), Vulture, Kraven, Kingpin, several others. Osborn, notably, doesn't have a Goblin v. Spidey win against Peter since he was in high school, unless it slipped through my attention. He's donned Iron Man armor, had teams surrounding him, turned himself into a Hulk, etc. But in a "regular" matchup he's not a threat at all. So we think of him as a major villain, and he is, but he's also about 1-15 lifetime against Pete in PIS-less circumstances. Same with Ock.

By the 2000's, they were having to make new challenges, or give him entirely new rogues. Or give large upgrades to certain people, like Scorpion. Even the on-again-off-again team the Sinister Six is a nod to this fact.

So the point isn't that there aren't threats. There are, and legitimate ones. I'm also not saying Spidey doesn't have rogues that are more powerful than him. He does, just not nearly a majority. But the point is that the "classic" rogues gallery is, frankly, a step beneath Spidey physically. Most heroes have equals in their villains, or more powerful threats that they regularly face. And they have to use their cunning as well as their powers.

An opposite would be Batman, who should be torn apart by several of his villains. Some are more cerebral threats (Penguin, Joker, any of the crime bosses), but many have actual powers that Batman can't compete with on a purely physical level.

Other obvious examples include Flash, who for a long time made his rogues seem like a joke.

So, not quite a vs. thread, but sort of. Who has outgrown their rogues the most? And I don't mean in the comics, where lopsided prep and schemes and resources come into play. But in a forum-style confrontation.

JakeTheBank
Hulk. His entire rogue's gallery had been put to shame as Hulk's recently been written the most powerful he's ever been and "holding back" all this time. I think we'll see him struggle more under Aaron and Hickman respectively, but Hulk's rogues basically got chumped big time under Pak.

Digi
Hulk's a good one. You're right, I can't think of a classic villain of his that's a true threat to him in a fight.

Branlor Swift
Superman, both in comics and out.

Ultraman, Toyman, Metallo, Sex, Bizarro, Atomic Ghost Rider, Parasite, Silver Banshee, Mongul, etc.

Now there's some like Cyborg Supes, and Zod who will be seen at Superman's level consistently. And some who will be just a little better (Doomsday), or shoehorned into being a Superman rogue (Darkseid), but on the whole his rogues are pretty mild compared to him.

JakeTheBank
To a lesser degree, I'd say Thor outgrew his classic foes, as well.

Guys like Mr. Hyde, Absorbing Man, the Wrecking Crew, Radioactive Man, Ulik, etc now get bested pretty handily in a forum fight.

Sin I AM
Hasn't mr. negative tooled Parker

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Hasn't mr. negative tooled Parker He goes under those "new" rogues created to make Pete not the top dawg.
It'd be like including Morlun, but he's more like "Why the hell is this guy a Spider-Man Rogue"

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Superman, both in comics and out.

Ultraman, Toyman, Metallo, Sex, Bizarro, Atomic Ghost Rider, Parasite, Silver Banshee, Mongul, etc ...

confused

Please tell me that you made a misspelling, and that DC doesn't really have a character with this name running around the Superman universe ...

kgkg
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
confused

Please tell me that you made a misspelling, and that DC doesn't really have a character with this name running around the Superman universe ... Sex was pretty bad ass in the pre-crisis days- now it's fodder material.

Sin I AM
IM rogues are pretty consistent, as they should be considering as more tech becomes available...the more powerful they should become

Newjak
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Hulk. His entire rogue's gallery had been put to shame as Hulk's recently been written the most powerful he's ever been and "holding back" all this time. I think we'll see him struggle more under Aaron and Hickman respectively, but Hulk's rogues basically got chumped big time under Pak. Not just that but in general his classic rogues just aren't that up to par anymore.

Any solid upper tier character has been shown to beat them regularly.

Wolverine might be a good one, in that he routinely and easily beats his classic rogues now, sometimes even combined.

Even Sabertooth isn't a straight match for him anymore which is kind of sad to me as those used to be good fights.

carver9
Hulk and Wolverine.

TheGodKiller
Squirrel Girl.

JayDaDon
I'll say Iron man.

Digi
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
Squirrel Girl.

False. She started out as omniversal. Her first win was over Doom. It's pretty hard to top that.

pym-ftw
Hank Pym

His original rogue gallery is made up of human level guys

Even Ultron got schooled by Pym.

Blair Wind
Originally posted by Digi
At one point when I was making the original Spidey respect thread, I realized that he ALWAYS beat his villains handily after about the first 10 years of ASM. Basically, by the mid 70's, the villains were only dangerous in so far as they endangered other people.

Of course, there are exceptions. Kingpin was literally the only exception to this rule for years. Parker could dominate almost anyone else once he got angry and took the kid gloves off. Venom during his initial run (and then he also started being portrayed < Spidey). But so many villains - Shocker, Scorpion, Doc Ock, Osborn (yes, especially him), Vulture, Kraven, Kingpin, several others. Osborn, notably, doesn't have a Goblin v. Spidey win against Peter since he was in high school, unless it slipped through my attention. He's donned Iron Man armor, had teams surrounding him, turned himself into a Hulk, etc. But in a "regular" matchup he's not a threat at all. So we think of him as a major villain, and he is, but he's also about 1-15 lifetime against Pete in PIS-less circumstances. Same with Ock.

By the 2000's, they were having to make new challenges, or give him entirely new rogues. Or give large upgrades to certain people, like Scorpion. Even the on-again-off-again team the Sinister Six is a nod to this fact.

So the point isn't that there aren't threats. There are, and legitimate ones. I'm also not saying Spidey doesn't have rogues that are more powerful than him. He does, just not nearly a majority. But the point is that the "classic" rogues gallery is, frankly, a step beneath Spidey physically. Most heroes have equals in their villains, or more powerful threats that they regularly face. And they have to use their cunning as well as their powers.

An opposite would be Batman, who should be torn apart by several of his villains. Some are more cerebral threats (Penguin, Joker, any of the crime bosses), but many have actual powers that Batman can't compete with on a purely physical level.

Other obvious examples include Flash, who for a long time made his rogues seem like a joke.

So, not quite a vs. thread, but sort of. Who has outgrown their rogues the most? And I don't mean in the comics, where lopsided prep and schemes and resources come into play. But in a forum-style confrontation.

Iron Man. He literally had an entire arc dealing with the fact that he was superior to all his rogues and wanted to deal with bigger picture things.

psycho gundam
^ hulk actually killed all his main rogues or got them depowered, and then re-reemed the earth's main heroes and armies who are technically his common foes, too. ross, abomination, even banner himself got taken care of

pym-ftw
Daredevil is another solid example

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.