Kingdom Come Vs All-Star Superman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

abhilegend
Which is the better story in your opinion? Which is a better superman story?

Digi
Obviously we deal with a mix of objective feats and subjective interpretation in vs. discussions, but I have a hard time being serious when the premise of a vs. thread is entirely subjective. Maybe "What's the best Superman story and why?" could start a discussion on the qualities of story as they reflect on such an iconic hero. This, however, seems...forced into a vs. mentality.

The art on AS turned me off from it. I forget the guy's name - I hated his run as artist on the Authority too - but all of his characters look bloated. Hard for me to look past it constantly.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Digi
Obviously we deal with a mix of objective feats and subjective interpretation in vs. discussions, but I have a hard time being serious when the premise of a vs. thread is entirely subjective. Maybe "What's the best Superman story and why?" could start a discussion on the qualities of story as they reflect on such an iconic hero. This, however, seems...forced into a vs. mentality.

The art on AS turned me off from it. I forget the guy's name - I hated his run as artist on the Authority too - but all of his characters look bloated. Hard for me to look past it constantly.
Not a vs thread, I forgot to put that in OP. Just story comparison and such.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Digi

Frank Quitely.

==

I enjoyed All Star more than Kingdom Come, personally. Though when I first read Kingdom Come I wasn't as familiar with the DC universe as I am now. Maybe I should re-read it.

JakeTheBank
All-Star Superman is the better Superman story.

Kingdom Come is overall better story in general.

roughrider
All Star Superman was a fun exploration of Superman in the pre-crisis, Mort Weisinger era, but Kingdom Come is one for the time capsule, up there with The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, Marvels, Miracleman - stories that examine what superheroes would truly mean in the real world.

Philosophía
You're confusing what superheroes mean in the real world, to what superheroes mean to the real world. The latter is much more powerful - it's much easier to make a story where you put the hero in a real world context, than to explain how fantasy and the concept of altruism, goodness and heroism affect the real world, and explain their mythological implications and their meaning.

Kingdom Come is Civil War done well.

All-Star Superman is everything that's good about comics.

Galan007
All-Star Superman.

Galan007

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.