World Military Questions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Colossus-Big C
China has build two 5th century stealth aircraft J20 and this year J31 based on (F22 ,F35, and B2 Stealth bomber) technology they hacked from The United States, and sold to them (illegally)by US engineers, and spyes in our country.

1.Taking consideration of chinas ability to hack and reverse engineer us technology, AND US Scientist/Engineers who sell us secrets for personal gains. How long before they are on Par with with us military technology wise?
2. Since we now have Futuristic Laser Guns which can shoot down aircraft/missles etc ( making anti air missle obsolete), how long before china copys this tech?
3. When will china achieve a blue water navy? ( they are currently developing nuclear powered aircraft carriers)
4. What do you think will happen once chinas military is on par with us?, are they planning war or something?

Oliver North
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
1.Taking consideration of chinas ability to hack and reverse engineer us technology, AND US Scientist/Engineers who sell us secrets for personal gains. How long before they are on Par with with us military technology wise?

tech wise, they probably will only ever be 1-2 generations behind, at most. Its more a power difference between China and America though.

2. Since we now have Futuristic Laser Guns which can shoot down aircraft/missles etc ( making anti air missle obsolete), how long before china copys this tech?

I don't think this tech is mature in America yet, but you are right, the advantage might last 5-10 years.

3. When will china achieve a blue water navy? ( they are currently developing nuclear powered aircraft carriers)

afaik, China's current plans are only for a close-mid range navy capable of enforcing control over the South China sea and the trade routes through SE Asia. They will have the capacity to do this by 2030-2050.

I'm not sure they have plans for the type of long-range, projection force type of navy that America has, but it would be well beyond 2050 (I'd assume?)

4. What do you think will happen once chinas military is on par with us?, are they planning war or something?

they might never be, even in what you are saying, America has to be ahead of China for them to steal secrets.

direct war with America, no, possibly a number of proxy conflicts in SE Asia though, or Central Asia (however, that would be more of a Russo-Sino conflict)

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Oliver North
tech wise, they probably will only ever be 1-2 generations behind, at most. Its more a power difference between China and America though.

I don't think this tech is mature in America yet, but you are right, the advantage might last 5-10 years.

afaik, China's current plans are only for a close-mid range navy capable of enforcing control over the South China sea and the trade routes through SE Asia. They will have the capacity to do this by 2030-2050.

I'm not sure they have plans for the type of long-range, projection force type of navy that America has, but it would be well beyond 2050 (I'd assume?)

they might never be, even in what you are saying, America has to be ahead of China for them to steal secrets.

direct war with America, no, possibly a number of proxy conflicts in SE Asia though, or Central Asia (however, that would be more of a Russo-Sino conflict) why would a blue water navy take so long to create, I thought all they needed to do was create nuclear powered ships?

Also ive read that although china did say the wated a medium range navy, they secretly want a blue water navy capable of challenging any country on the planet.

Oliver North
why would a blue water navy take so long to create,

they dont have anything that approaches a conventional navy. Going from 0 to world power takes time

I thought all they needed to do was create nuclear powered ships?

oh, is that all?

also, no

Also ive read that although china did say the wated a medium range navy, they secretly want a blue water navy capable of challenging any country on the planet.

lol, the secret chinese navy

well, good luck to them with that...

Utrigita
China has build two 5th century stealth aircraft J20 and this year J31 based on (F22 ,F35, and B2 Stealth bomber) technology they hacked from The United States, and sold to them (illegally)by US engineers, and spyes in our country.

1. Some time, but the thing is stealing will always leave them behind, I doubt very much that China will keep doing so in the near future. I think they will rather rely on their own development. They got the money for it anyway. Also they stole the prints in, what was it 2008-2009 and it toke them three years to get it flying. One of the planes observers are not even sure really exist.
2. Are you refering to Railguns?
3. around 2040's.
4. They won't be on pair for a long time with the US, because China have a entirely different approach (atleast now) to why they should have a Navy then the US has.

Symmetric Chaos

Both of those methods will always leave them way behind the US. By definition if they reverse engineer our work we already have it before they do. There aren't enough sales of military secrets for them to even be on par.

Colossus-Big C
So what about there air force? When will there airforce be on par? They have the J 31 Stealth bomber (equvilant to our current F-22 or F-35) and also the H-8 Stealth bomber (equivilant of our b2 stealth bomber)

Colossus-Big C
By the way is there any other country closer to US than China?

Omega Vision
From what I understand, the J20 isn't a copy of American stealth technology. Certainly they looked to American aircraft for guidance (I recall hearing about Chinese engineers snapping photos of Raptors during airshows and then using those photos to create 3D models), and might have even stolen/bought a few secrets to smooth the development along, but they didn't reverse engineer American aircraft.

Now that the basic principles of stealth avionics are declassified and even subjects of Discovery Channel documentaries, it really isn't inconceivable that any wealthy nation with a large military budget could create their own stealth aircraft independent of American assistance/research.

Colossus-Big C
Do you think I can create my own stealth Aircraft?

Not being sarcastic or anything, I'm serious.

Oliver North
So what about there air force? When will there airforce be on par? They have the J 31 Stealth bomber (equvilant to our current F-22 or F-35) and also the H-8 Stealth bomber (equivilant of our b2 stealth bomber)

in theory the F-22 should still be the best air-to-air fighter in the world. There are many caveats to this (never flown in combat, pilots keep passing out because of issues with the plane), but it is probably still the best "dog-fighter".

It is also the only one that is in service. The J 20 isn't set to go into service until 2017, and the J 31 is at the prototype stage still.

For the foreseeable future, America is going to have a massive advantage over China in terms of power.

By the way is there any other country closer to US than China?

arguably, most of the stronger European nations would probably fare well against China in a war. Both India and Russia might be, though I don't think either would win a decisive victory against the Chinese military (Russia might) without nukes (China would beat India and lose to Russia with nukes).

Japan might be stronger, I don't know much about their military... It is harder to compare against countries like Egypt, Iran or Saudi Arabia, because none of those countries really have the ability to strike at each other. I suspect Israel could perform successful operations within China (if they could reach them), but would ultimately lose an all out military conflict if it was on a border or something (I'm actually not sure who would win with nukes, though I think the Chinese are fairly well fortified... but nobody really knows about the Israelis).

China's biggest problem today is that it can't move its military around. With a more mobile force, and especially with the navy they want by mid century, they will be able to compete with all but the strongest nations in the world.

lol, thats fairly tl;dr

yes

Omega Vision

Are you a wealthy nation with a large military budget?

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Are you a wealthy nation with a large military budget? didnt Einstein do all of his greatest work alone?

Omega Vision
didnt Einstein do all of his greatest work alone?
are you Einstein?

do you have billions of dollars and a massive defense infrastructure?

did Einstein ever build an aircraft?

If no to all of these...

Symmetric Chaos

A. No, general relativity didn't really come together until he had access to a number of brilliant mathematical minds.
B. Who gives a shit how Einstein worked?

Utrigita

They have prototypes, and some of those have taken flight. From that stage there is still a multitude of problems and test before it goes into production, let alone the time it takes to make the planes. Take the F22, it's first flight was in 1996, but it basically toke them until 2011 before they had the number of planes built that they wanted. Developing, testing and producing is a long process that in the F-22 case toke 15 years.

Astner
No, David Hilbert did most of Einstein's math. Hence Hilbert's quote "physics is becoming too difficult for the physicists".

Astner
Then again, the math behind general relativity is rather simple, and even a standard among postgraduate engineering physics students today.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Astner
Then again, the math behind general relativity is rather simple, and even a standard among postgraduate engineering physics students today.
Isn't that just a factor of the whole Shoulders-of-Giants phenomenon?

I mean, what electricians do today as part of their routine was cutting edge, visionary work at one point.

Edit: I had one idiot who tried to tell me that Plato and Aristotle weren't great thinkers because their theories have long since been supplanted. He was trying to argue that the Matrix is more brilliant than Plato's Allegory of the Cave, while I tried to explain to him that without the latter the former wouldn't have happened.

Mindset
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Isn't that just a factor of the whole Shoulders-of-Giants phenomenon?

I mean, what electricians do today as part of their routine was cutting edge, visionary work at one point.

Edit: I had one idiot who tried to tell me that Plato and Aristotle weren't great thinkers because their theories have long since been supplanted. He was trying to argue that the Matrix is more brilliant than Plato's Allegory of the Cave, while I tried to explain to him that without the latter the former wouldn't have happened. I'd own Plato in a test on American history.

Astner

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Astner
First and foremost, there's a difference between physicists and electricians in that physicists have to understand whereas electricians simply have to know. And electricians knowing how to handle modern equipment can't be compared to physicists' fundamental understanding of things.

Its simply understanding in a different domain. Electrical have to understand the technology they work with, if they didn't they wouldn't be able to solve novel electrical problems.

Astner
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Its simply understanding in a different domain. Electrical have to understand the technology they work with, if they didn't they wouldn't be able to solve novel electrical problems.
No. Electricians are taught to follow very basic models, and to follow instruction manuals to handle certain equipment.

To find that the conclusion of a shortcut to be a dry joint doesn't require understanding. All it requires is the knowledge, this isn't how it's supposed to look because then it doesn't work, this is how you fix it...

Heck, electricians even use the j-omega method. Which explicitly reflects the ignorance of the Laplace transform of which the method is deduced.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.