Fantastic Four Reboot

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JakeTheBank
Apparently, Fox is ready to release their F4 reboot in 2015, a year that's going to have a hell of a lot of huge movies (Avengers 2, Justice League, Wolverine, X-Men: DoFP, Star Wars Episode 7, etc).

No new casting reports or even what the script would entail, but what are your ideas for a new F4 franchise or dream casting for the characters?

Kazenji
Wolverine 2 for 2015?

pretty sure that movie is coming out next year.

Bouboumaster
Ryan Reynolds for evey single damn role. Even Sue Storm.

roughrider
Wolverine comes out in 2013 (it has been shot) and X-Men: Days Of Future Past comes in 2014. And I'm waiting for the inevitable word that Justice League will be delayed; the return of Star Wars in 2015 is a large monkey wrench tossed into that summer for the other studios. I would delay it at least until 2016, to get away from Avengers comparisons.

StiltmanFTW
I had no idea about JLA and Episode VII.

Kazenji
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Episode VII.

Seriously?

it was big news.. it was all over the tv and the radio.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by roughrider
I would delay it at least until 2016, to get away from Avengers comparisons.

I doubt that would be an issue.

Kazenji
I'm hoping they do a far better job of Doom....should leave him for the 2nd or third movie.

Mindship
I always thought Scarlet Johanssen would've made a good Sue Richards. And while I wasn't keen on Chris Evans as the Torch at first (jeez, they couldn't even dye his hair blond, even after giving Alba eerie blue contact lenses?), I thought he virtually nailed Johnny's youthful cockiness. His Torch will be a tough act to follow, I think.

Chiklis wasn't bad as the Thing, except that I thought he was a little too small physically. Also, if they could make an in-movie action figure look like Kirby's Grimm, couldn't they have done same with Chiklis' makeup? Other than that, I thought Chiklis also did rather well in capturing the essence of Ben's personality.

Gruffud's Reed...? It wasn't bad, but...I dunno. I wouldn't mind seeing Reed recast. And as for Alba as Sue, or McMahon as Doom...definitley recast.

For that matter, I like Doug Jones, but the next Surfer should have a heftier musculature (eg Kirby's Surfer, FF#72).

Overall, I think the FF movies are very underrated, but a reboot certainly couldn't hurt.

Galan007
Lets be honest, even if the reboot ends up just being mediocre, it would still be VASTLY better than its predecessors... But like the OP mentioned, 2015 is going to be one hell of a year in cinema.

Wolverine- I think it'll be crap, personally.
X-Men DoFP- this could be really, really, good if done right. First Class gave me hope.
Justice League- this could be phenomenal, but I have a feeling DC is rushing it WAY too much. Not getting my hopes up.
Avengers 2- it will be great, obviously.
Episode VII- much like F4, this film could just be halfway decent, and that'd still make it loads better than the last set of films. However, I honestly believe that it will be a legitimately great film.

Anyway, my main recommendation for a F4 reboot film would be to: a.) hire actors that can act, and b.) hire actors that fit the roles to which they are assigned. Evans was a good fit for HT, but Gruffudd as Richards? Alba as IW? McMahon as Doom? Terrible.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Mindship
I always thought Scarlet Johanssen would've made a good Sue Richards. And while I wasn't keen on Chris Evans as the Torch at first (jeez, they couldn't even dye his hair blond, even after giving Alba eerie blue contact lenses?), I thought he virtually nailed Johnny's youthful cockiness. His Torch will be a tough act to follow, I think.

Chiklis wasn't bad as the Thing, except that I thought he was a little too small physically. Also, if they could make an in-movie action figure look like Kirby's Grimm, couldn't they have done same with Chiklis' makeup? Other than that, I thought Chiklis also did rather well in capturing the essence of Ben's personality.

Gruffud's Reed...? It wasn't bad, but...I dunno. I wouldn't mind seeing Reed recast. And as for Alba as Sue, or McMahon as Doom...definitley recast.

For that matter, I like Doug Jones, but the next Surfer should have a heftier musculature (eg Kirby's Surfer, FF#72).

Overall, I think the FF movies are very underrated, but a reboot certainly couldn't hurt.

I liked the first one. Second one ruined it for me. In terms of the characters Doom was the worst portrayal. Nothing against the actor, they just got the character completely wrong.

Originally posted by Galan007

X-Men DoFP- this could be really, really, good if done right. First Class gave me hope.

They'll both be released much earlier than 2015.

Episode VII- much like F4, this film could just be halfway decent, and that'd still make it loads better than the last set of films.

Get out of here! I've never understood the Prequel hate.

StiltmanFTW

What else can it be with Jackman playing Wolverine? sad

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Get out of here! I've never understood the Prequel hate.

Just compare them to the original trilogy...

Galan007
Get out of here! I've never understood the Prequel hate. Episode I was total garbage.
Episode II was a little better, but was still mediocre overall-- the 3 minute long Dooku/Yoda battle was the best part of a 2.5 hour movie.
Episode III was decent, but still had numerous cheese moments. Tbh, I thought Cartoon Network's animated prequel series Star Wars: Clone Wars was far more enjoyable than Episode III itself-- and when a prequel cartoon is better than the actual film, you know you have a problem.

In my opinion, of course.

What else can it be with Jackman playing Wolverine? sad thumb up

DARTH POWER

Just compare them to the original trilogy...

That was the problem Imho. The expectations were too high because of how epic the original trilogy was.

But if we compare them to say Terminators 3 & 4, Spiderman 3, Matrix 3, Star Trek 5 and 6, Pirates of the Carribean 4 e.t.c e.t.c then I think the SW Prequels were pretty damn good for a 4th, 5th and 6th films in a series.

The only movies which stay consistently on par to the originals I'd say are Harry Potter, but their based on hugely successful books so the great story is already there to work with.

Episode I was total garbage.
Episode II was a little better, but was still mediocre overall-- the 3 minute long Dooku/Yoda battle was the best part of a 2.5 hour movie.
Episode III was decent, but still had numerous cheese moments. Tbh, I thought Cartoon Network's animated prequel series Star Wars: Clone Wars was far more enjoyable than Episode III itself-- and when a prequel cartoon is better than the actual film, you know you have a problem.

I actually preferred TPM to AOTC. ROTS was a modern day Macbeth to me. I loved it.

I've never understood the love behind that 2003 CW Cartoon. I mean sure it was entertaining (in a very kiddish way), but to compare it to the movies?? Nah I wouldn't go that far at all.

Mindship
Justice League- this could be phenomenal, but I have a feeling DC is rushing it WAY too much. Yeah, I have that fear lurking in the pit of my gut. I'd sooner wait to 2016+ if this guaranteed a quality production.

roughrider
Originally posted by Mindship
Yeah, I have that fear lurking in the pit of my gut. I'd sooner wait to 2016+ if this guaranteed a quality production.

They wait until 2016, they avoid being the second superhero team film of the year (the whole world will be waiting for Avengers 2) and it gives time for a bridging film or two somehow involving Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. They are the JL's big three, just as Thor, Iron Man and Captain America are for the Avengers - and all of them got a screen introduction before teaming up in Avengers.

Kazenji

Anyway, my main recommendation for a F4 reboot film would be to: a.) hire actors that can act, and b.) hire actors that fit the roles to which they are assigned. Evans was a good fit for HT, but Gruffudd as Richards? Alba as IW? McMahon as Doom? Terrible.

Ioan gruffudd was perfect for Richards

agree with Alba and McMahon, McMahon would've been better as Namor

and if people on here were disappointed with Doom's portrayal, Even Stan Lee was too.

roughrider
Originally posted by Kazenji
Ioan gruffudd was perfect for Richards

agree with Alba and McMahon, McMahon would've been better as Namor

and if people on here were disappointed with Doom's portrayal, Even Stan Lee was too.

Julian McMahon's default setting is smarmy. He's wrong for so many comic characters...

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers for Namor.

JayDaDon
I know he's pulled in many directions these days but micheal fassbender would be one hell of a reed richards.

I want to see JRM as Namor too thumb up

Kazenji
What else can it be with Jackman playing Wolverine? sad

And what's wrong with that?

i don't see anything wrong with it.

Mindship
They wait until 2016, they avoid being the second superhero team film of the year (the whole world will be waiting for Avengers 2) and it gives time for a bridging film or two somehow involving Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. From your mouth to God's ears.

StiltmanFTW
And what's wrong with that?

i don't see anything wrong with it.

Sorry, but when an actor from a low-budget fan film (that's not even about Logan) portrays the character better than Jackman you know something's wrong.

He was okay in the first few movies I guess, but it's time to move on, give someone else a chance.

Mindship
Sorry, but when an actor from a low-budget fan film (that's not even about Logan) portrays the character better than Jackman you know something's wrong.

He was okay in the first few movies I guess, but it's time to move on, give someone else a chance. Vin Diesel? I always envisioned him in the role. Bet he might even make live-action yellow spandex respectable.

JayDaDon
haermm That mental image...

DARTH POWER
VD would make a good Ben Grimm IMO.

Tzeentch._
Can't imagine Vin with hair.

Kazenji
Mark Miller compares the reboot to Alien

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2013/01/09/millar-compares-jaw-dropping-fantastic-four-reboot-to-alien/

Kazenji
Its been reported Matthew Vaughn will be producing this movie.

roughrider
Its been reported Matthew Vaughn will be producing this movie.

So that's someone else rumoured to be directing the Justice League movie who's given it a pass.

Vaughn is pretty tight with Mark Millar. Shouldn't be a surprise he advised Fox to bring him on board.

DARTH POWER
If this works how would people feel about an X-Men/FF crossover? Would be possible as Fox has movie rights to both franchises.

Kazenji
I just want to see a proper Galactus done if they use him again.

Newjak
I never thought the actors for the first FF were that bad. I always attributed everything to it being the era when people felt that in order for you to make a good comic book movie it needed lots and lots of cheesey moments and dialogue.

-Pr-
Starts shooting in June, apparently.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=77733

Kazenji
Allison Williams Up For The Role Of Invisible Woman?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=78583

roughrider
I'm rather surprised Josh Trank is not bringing in his female lead from Chronicle, Ashley Hinshaw. She looked like the perfect Sue Storm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Hinshaw

Sixth_Winged
I really think it might be a good idea if they don't take too much creative liberties changing fundamental stuff about the fantastic four.

Here's a list of what I think was bad about the first 2 ff movies:

-Jessica Alba as Sue Richards. Latina looks can't be hid by a simple hair dying and having a brother who looks worlds apart from her doesn't help.
-Dr. Doom onboard the accident, gaining powers and being the first main villain anyway. Pure garbage.
-Mr Fantastic is dull and boring as hell. No chemistry whatsoever with Sue.
-Galactus as a cloud
-Power swapping plot is trash.

The reboot should really address these issues in order to be likeable. The first villain in FF shouldn't be Doom at all, he should be saved for a sequel and tying him up with the FF's origin plot ruins a perfectly brilliant potential for his own origins.

roughrider
Originally posted by Sixth_Winged
I really think it might be a good idea if they don't take too much creative liberties changing fundamental stuff about the fantastic four.

Here's a list of what I think was bad about the first 2 ff movies:

-Jessica Alba as Sue Richards. Latina looks can't be hid by a simple hair dying and having a brother who looks worlds apart from her doesn't help.
-Dr. Doom onboard the accident, gaining powers and being the first main villain anyway. Pure garbage.
-Mr Fantastic is dull and boring as hell. No chemistry whatsoever with Sue.
-Galactus as a cloud
-Power swapping plot is trash.

- I thought the casting was all right, but Jessica Alba was pretty disposable as Sue. She didn't bring anything special to the role, and the amount of time they spent making her look more Caucasian didn't help. She was a pretty vacuum.

- Doom getting powers along with the other four at the original accident, that's something we saw in the Ultimate Fantastic Four series. I thought that move made sense, rather than just having Doom as a brilliant technocrat and magic disciple. It saved lots of screen time.

- I thought Ioan Gruffudd did pretty well as the nerdy, distracted Reed. Lack of chemistry with Sue, again I think you can point to Jessica Alba.

- Galactus...I think they were guilty of wanting to hold him back too much for a future FF sequel, or a Silver Surfer spinoff movie. The teasing of his shape in cloud form, then the movie ends...not satisfying enough.

- Only Johnny got the power to swap and gain powers, because of how the Surfer affected him. I thought him having them all at once was like a homage to Super Skrull.

The first movie certainly wasn't great, but also suffered from comparison to The Incredibles, which came out just months earlier. In the exaggerated animation medium, they got to make the FF movie the live action one was trying to be. They failed with the tone, more than anything else. And Julian McMahon was a total failure as Doom (I mean, Batman And Robin scale failure!)

I don't know if being even more reverent to the source material for the reboot is the answer; they just need to be better, & more serious. Family bickering that isn't sitcom level.

Kazenji
Michael B. Jordan In Talks To Play 'The Human Torch' In THE FANTASTIC FOUR

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=78697

no expression

they do realise Johnny Storm is white

what's next Victor von doom is Italian.

JayDaDon
WTF? Why make him black? When it doesn't change anything, fine, but if the actress just mentioned is cast as Sue storm their situation will likely have to be unnecesarilly changed and explained.

DARTH POWER
A bit of a strange decision.

BruceSkywalker
this film NEEDS to be Rated R and feature lots of nudity

Kazenji
laughing out loud laughing out loud

good one bruce.

Sixth_Winged
Lol now that might be even worse than Jessica Alba casting. Maybe Sue and Johnny wont be siblings.

roughrider
They begin shooting month in Louisiana.

WHY is there still no word on who has been cast? confused

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1502712/

Kazenji
Hope they haven't gone for a black guy to be the Human Torch.

DARTH POWER

YOU RACCCCCIISSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!

Just Kidding.. I hope they haven't too.

BruceSkywalker

YOU RACCCCCIISSSSSSTTTT!!!!!!!!

Just Kidding.. I hope they haven't too.

Johnny will be played by a latino big grin

roughrider
Casting news?

http://collider.com/fantastic-four-kit-harington-saoirse-ronan-miles-teller/

I'm all for Kate Mara.

News of the script getting constant rewrites is concerning. But on the bright side - if it sucks yet again, then Marvel could have the opportunity to get the rights back!

As far as Micheal B. Jordan still campaigning for the Johnny Storm role...unless Sue Storm will also be black, then the brother-sister thing is out.

DARTH POWER

News of the script getting constant rewrites is concerning. But on the bright side - if it sucks yet again, then Marvel could have the opportunity to get the rights back!

It wouldn't matter, because that would mean FF would be totally screwed on the big screen for the foreseeable future. Even Marvel doesn't work magic where they can make a 2nd reboot a success.

juggernaut74
Yea, they actually went backwards with the Hulk.

juggernaut74
So is Johnny and Sue Storm still brother and sister in the new film?

Kazenji
Not sure

but they've picked the 4 people apparently, Only thing is its not confirmed not even by Josh Trank has come out and anythingits..Its FOX themselves getting all excited.

Firefly218
If doctor doom is a female I'm not watching

roughrider
Originally posted by juggernaut74
So is Johnny and Sue Storm still brother and sister in the new film?

I don't know...I still think it's unnecessary stunt casting to have a black actor play her brother, just to attract more minority viewership. When Alicia Masters was played by Kerry Washington in the previous films, that was OK.

Jamie Bell playing Ben Grimm?? blink

Best reason to watch this movie right now, is to see how well Kate Mara fills out her jumpsuit. big grin

http://thumbnails110.imagebam.com/30927/b15f6f309261455.jpg

SpaceMonkey
This is horrible casting. I hate FOX. I won't be watching this.

Firefly218
Terrible casting

JayDaDon
Lol phuck this movie

BruceSkywalker
horrible casting...

Originally posted by Firefly218
If doctor doom is a female I'm not watching

I don't know...I still think it's unnecessary stunt casting to have a black actor play her brother, just to attract more minority viewership. When Alicia Masters was played by Kerry Washington in the previous films, that was OK.

Jamie Bell playing Ben Grimm?? blink

Best reason to watch this movie right now, is to see how well Kate Mara fills out her jumpsuit. big grin

http://thumbnails110.imagebam.com/30927/b15f6f309261455.jpg

Rooney Mara will portray Dr. Doom.. stick out tongue

roughrider
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

If she does it Lisbeth Salander style, that would pique my interest. big grin

Firefly218
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
horrible casting...

Holy shit!!x Are you serious?

YFZ 350
Odd casting choices.

JayDaDon
I was thinking about who could play an awesome Dr.Doom in a proper Fantastic 4 film, I actually think Benedict Cumberbatch would own that role.

CPT Space Bomb
Originally posted by JayDaDon
I was thinking about who could play an awesome Dr.Doom in a proper Fantastic 4 film, I actually think Benedict Cumberbatch would own that role. I kinda agree with you unfortunately I feel this movie will be a colossal failure. I don't really want any actors I care about attached to this monstrosity. I'm also sure they'll just butcher Doom again, which is a shame....

But yah, Benedict is a great actor and probably COULD play the role well.

Firefly218
I know this is the odd pick, but I think Leo Dicaprio could pull off an awesome doctor doom

pym-ftw
I feel like despite the name this thread doesn't belong here anymore.

JayDaDon
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Phuck this movie.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/04/30/the-new-ff-won-t-be-called-the-fantastic-four-1389949#!HjzVU

Inhuman
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Phuck this movie.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/04/30/the-new-ff-won-t-be-called-the-fantastic-four-1389949#!HjzVU

I dont know why but I think all there has to be someone one the inside trying to sabotage this move so it wont get made. (I HOPE SO!)
Every new detail on this movie makes me cringe. From a female Dr. Doom rumor, to new origins, now this. I really hope this whole movie falls apart.
Marvel needs the rights to FF back. Not so much for the fantastic 4, but for galactus, silver surfer, maybe the skrulls too.

SpaceMonkey
LOL! This movie's a joke!!

tkitna
How is somebody allowing this to be made?

Femi32
Originally posted by Inhuman
I dont know why but I think all there has to be someone one the inside trying to sabotage this move so it wont get made. (I HOPE SO!)
Every new detail on this movie makes me cringe. From a female Dr. Doom rumor, to new origins, now this. I really hope this whole movie falls apart.
Marvel needs the rights to FF back. Not so much for the fantastic 4, but for galactus, silver surfer, maybe the skrulls too.

thumb up I want this almost as much as a fully realized DCCU. Why did Marvel give Fox a choice between Daredevil and Fantastic Four? It should've been obvious for them to save Marvel's First Family and expand the cosmic part of their universe.

Kazenji
**** off FOx and just give the rights back to Marvel.

roughrider
Originally posted by Femi32
thumb up I want this almost as much as a fully realized DCCU. Why did Marvel give Fox a choice between Daredevil and Fantastic Four? It should've been obvious for them to save Marvel's First Family and expand the cosmic part of their universe.

They didn't give them a choice between the two. Fox ran out of time to start filming a new Daredevil movie according to a stipulated contract time, so their option expired and Marvel Studios pounced to get the rights back.

If they actually do succeed in rebooting FF, it strengthens Fox's hand at creating their own Marvel Cinematic Universe, as they can crossover the FF with the X-Men universe and all the far corners of that, plus Deadpool.

Spider Man, though, he's all alone at Sony (Ghost Rider got taken back by Marvel Studios as well.) I think the attempts to make a shared cinematic universe there won't work out, especially since the only other characters are villains - Venom & the Sinister Six. Would Sony ever quit Spidey, though?...Things are feeling assembly line like over there, though.

JayDaDon

thumb up I wish the MCU had the Fan 4 even more than Spider-man, for all the reasons you said. If they had Fan 4 these past few years I'm sure we'd be getting a Marvel Studios Fantastic 4 movie instead of Guardians of the Galaxy this year.

Femi32
They didn't give them a choice between the two. Fox ran out of time to start filming a new Daredevil movie according to a stipulated contract time, so their option expired and Marvel Studios pounced to get the rights back.

If they actually do succeed in rebooting FF, it strengthens Fox's hand at creating their own Marvel Cinematic Universe, as they can crossover the FF with the X-Men universe and all the far corners of that, plus Deadpool.

Spider Man, though, he's all alone at Sony (Ghost Rider got taken back by Marvel Studios as well.) I think the attempts to make a shared cinematic universe there won't work out, especially since the only other characters are villains - Venom & the Sinister Six. Would Sony ever quit Spidey, though?...Things are feeling assembly line like over there, though.

Okay. I heard they wouldn't be crossing over. I could be wrong on that, too. What time frame has to pass between movies so these franchises can go back to Marvel?

DARTH POWER

Poor Spidey all alone. And he's always been Marvel's flagship character as well.

We'll just have to see how Venom and the Sinister Six go.

roughrider
Originally posted by Femi32
Okay. I heard they wouldn't be crossing over. I could be wrong on that, too. What time frame has to pass between movies so these franchises can go back to Marvel?

Unknown. Fox & Mark Millar has said there is no crossover planned for now, but it's something they could always consider.

Inhuman

pym-ftw
Actually its the same reason,

They have to make a movie with that name, and they have no one who cares.

JayDaDon
With that casting Im now forced to ask once again, why the phuck did they not just cast a BLACK actress as Sue?

pym-ftw
Stunt casting =\= intelligent casting

Honestly they are polar opposites, I really hate this movie already.

Am I supposed to believe a blond haired blue eyed fair skinned Susan is half Black? Jezzus Christ and I thought Nick Cage was horrible casting for Ghost Rider, atleast he roughly looks like who he is playing...

Fox has the rights to every God d@mned mutant, stick to that and let the first family of Marvel come home.

SpaceMonkey
Originally posted by pym-ftw

Fox has the rights to every God d@mned mutant, stick to that and let the first family of Marvel come home.

Here, here!!!

Femi32
Stunt casting =\= intelligent casting

Honestly they are polar opposites, I really hate this movie already.

Am I supposed to believe a blond haired blue eyed fair skinned Susan is half Black? Jezzus Christ and I thought Nick Cage was horrible casting for Ghost Rider, atleast he roughly looks like who he is playing...

thumb up

roughrider

JayDaDon

Couldn't possibly agree with this part more. At this point I'd rather the property sit on the shelf at Marvel just so they can feel free to use it's characters whenever they wanted. I'd much prefer that to THIS lame excuse.

pym-ftw
Honestly I just want a Dr. Doom lead masters of evil vs the avengers. just a well done Doom would be a nice change.

JayDaDon
Me too. Doom is my favorite villain, so I've been waiting on a proper fantastic 4 franchise with a crazy awesome Doom. Apparently they cast Rock 'n Rolla as Doom, not sure how I feel about that.

DARTH POWER
That's the problem, if they screw this up and the rights return to Marvel the property will be left worthless. But yeah you guys are right, just having Marvel studios able to use Dr. Doom, Galactus and the Silver Surfer, that alone would be worth it.

JayDaDon
You know what, Id rather Fan 4 sit on the shelf and have its characters used by marvel studios than see it bastardized for a cash grab.

pym-ftw
I'd set the Fantasic Four in the eighties so that Reed can be Tony's mentor if I was writing the marvel version. TbF the FF don't fit in the Xmen cinematic universe though the Xmen have always never quite fit the marvel universe.imho.

ares834
The main reason I want the rights to revert back to Marvel is so they can use Galactus. Especially since Marvel seem to be pushing their cosmic stuff lately as seen with GotG and Thanos.

TbF the FF don't fit in the Xmen cinematic universe though the Xmen have always never quite fit the marvel universe.imho.

Agreed.

DARTH POWER
TbF the FF don't fit in the Xmen cinematic universe though the Xmen have always never quite fit the marvel universe.imho.

Plus I don't see how it would fit in the timeline. Considering they are concentrating on the First Class team going forward, then FF would have to be set in the 80's latest.

So I really don't see this shared Universe thing working for them.

JayDaDon
I'd set the Fantasic Four in the eighties so that Reed can be Tony's mentor if I was writing the marvel version. TbF the FF don't fit in the Xmen cinematic universe though the Xmen have always never quite fit the marvel universe.imho.

I would set it in current time, with flashbacks telling the origin(maybe a bit of Reed mentoring Tony or having them as rivals) One way I really see it is with Reed being the most fascinating character in the movie. Flashbacks of Reed in college would also be awesome(especially a rivalry/maybe even brief friendship with Victor Von Doom)

pym-ftw
So is anyone excited to see this movie?

JayDaDon
The first movie in a long time that I've been excited to see crash and burn.

pym-ftw
I mean this movie screams desperation to keep the FF at fox & stunt casting. Not one single person cast fit the character they are playing.

Also Chronicle is overrated
Yep I said it raver

Inhuman
The first movie in a long time that I've been excited to see crash and burn.

thumb up

I mean this movie screams desperation to keep the FF at fox & stunt casting. Not one single person cast fit the character they are playing.

Its not really a fantastic four movie with all the changes they are doing, just by name (to keep the rights).
They could name this movie "the remarkables" or "chronicle 2" and it will be a better fit than fantastic four.

JayDaDon
Man if Marvel got those rights back we'd probably be getting a Marvel studios FF right now in place of GOTG, which still looks pretty awesome, but more comes along with the FF universe.

DARTH POWER
If this flops, Fox will let the franchise go. But then Marvel won't be making FF for a long time, because the GA will be put off the name due to the Fox movies.

But honestly considering the Director, screen writer and cast, I doubt it will be a bad movie. But it won't be a true FF movie either.

roughrider
Fox has really pulled up the quality of their Marvel properties since they hired Mark Millar as their Marvel consultant. There is a good chance this could succeed. But, I selfishly want the rights to go back to Marvel Studios too, so...crash and burn, yeah. stick out tongue

JayDaDon
If this flops, Fox will let the franchise go. But then Marvel won't be making FF for a long time, because the GA will be put off the name due to the Fox movies.

But honestly considering the Director, screen writer and cast, I doubt it will be a bad movie. But it won't be a true FF movie either.

That's the annoying thing, nobody says they HAVE to give up the rights if this movie flops. They could easily say phuck it and roll a different take into production just to keep the rights.

roughrider
That's the annoying thing, nobody says they HAVE to give up the rights if this movie flops. They could easily say phuck it and roll a different take into production just to keep the rights.

Yeah, but that's throwing good money after bad out of spite. Eventually Fox shareholders would revolt about the studio trying to keep a franchise going they can't get to work, and the rights will lapse and Marvel Studios will be waiting to snatch them back - just like they did with Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Hulk and Punisher.

DARTH POWER
Yeah, but that's throwing good money after bad out of spite. Eventually Fox shareholders would revolt about the studio trying to keep a franchise going they can't get to work, and the rights will lapse and Marvel Studios will be waiting to snatch them back - just like they did with Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Hulk and Punisher.

And Blade too.

JayDaDon
My only concern is none of those companies who held those properties(if I remember correctly)were Fox, the corporate giant. Fox has money on tap and may just decide to let it ride one last time to further their attempt at their own shared universe with the X-Men.

Inhuman

Marvel studios doesn't need to make another fantastic four movie. All they need is the characters associated with the FF franchise.
Silver surfer, galactus, gladiator?, skrulls , etc

JayDaDon
Yeah I agree I wouldn't even mind not seee another FF for a while as long as Marvel got to use their characters and even them for cameos.

DARTH POWER
My only concern is none of those companies who held those properties(if I remember correctly)were Fox, the corporate giant. Fox has money on tap and may just decide to let it ride one last time to further their attempt at their own shared universe with the X-Men.

Oh Yeah I forgot about the shared universe thing. They'll definitely want to try that. But then again if the FF reboot flops there will be no benefit to an X-Men/FF crossover. They would just be better off expanding on the X-Universe. There's plenty to work with right there.

DARTH POWER
So filming on this is done! Yet we don't even have a trailer yet.. Guess we can expect one soon though:

http://www.fansshare.com/gallery/photos/12993729/house-of-cards-season-kate-mara-house-of-cards/

Guess it's kind of smart opening about 6 weeks after the Avengers. People will be all hyped up and want another superhero team up... Maybe...

pym-ftw
I'm honestly negatively excited for this movie...

Are the Shi'ar part of the X-men package? I'd love an annihilators movie, though the MCU version could always swap Glads with BB if need be for the same effect.

Kazenji
I'm sure the movie will do well with the GA.

KCJ506
This movie does have some things going against it. Other than being a reboot of a franchise most people consider "meh" at best, it's set to come out a month after Avengers 2. It's opening the same day as Pixar's Inside Out. Which may end up costing them the family audience. And Jurassic World and Terminator 5 are also coming out around the same time.

The Incredible Hulk underperformed for similar reasons. Being a reboot of a movie most people still had a bad tastes in their mouths from(there's still people that think it was a sequel). Coming out in a very crowded summer in between Iron Man and The Dark Knight.

Kazenji
Josh Trank answers some questions through twitter

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/?a=106505

marvelmadness13
I thought that was proven to be an imposter. It was a brand new, unverified account that was answering those questions.

edit: Yep, here's the updated article.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=106502

Kazenji
Originally posted by marvelmadness13
I thought that was proven to be an imposter. It was a brand new, unverified account that was answering those questions.

edit: Yep, here's the updated article.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=106502

I knew that how?

sorry if i'm not connected to the net 24 hours each day.

marvelmadness13
Whoah there, easy sailor. It was a clarification that the twitter thing was a fake, not an attack against you.

Kazenji
Since its been revealed as fake

i wonder if the real Josh Trank's response will be anything different to that last question about Johnny being black.

marvelmadness13
Honestly I'm wondering if they actually filmed anything. This twitter Q and A was revealed as a fake. That Thing bust sculpt was revealed as a fake. There was no news at Comic Con a few weeks ago. No production stills. No poster has been revealed, heck there hasn't even been a logo revealed yet. The only piece of evidence that this movie is being made is a selfie of four actors in street close standing on a sidewalk, and this is scheduled for release in 10 months...

Is Fox pulling a Corman and "making" a Fantastic Four film to sit on the rights or what?

Kazenji
Where was it revealed the Thing bust sculpture was a fake?....pretty sure that was real unless there's been update already

yep real deal or not

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55061

marvelmadness13
It was posted from the same fake and now deleted twitter(@josh_trank) as the phony Q and A. We've gotten more updates on this from a prankster pretending to be Trank than we have from the real director.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08/24/josh-trank-takes-to-twitter-to-answer-fantastic-four-questions/

DARTH POWER
Well if they don't care about the movie then neither should we. If they haven't put their hearts and soul into this movie then here's hoping it flops and the rights revert to Marvel.

marvelmadness13
My thoughts exactly. Here are a few "gems" of information from the people involved with this film:

Kate Mara told not to read any F4 comics because it has nothing to do with their storylines:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2014/07/15/kate-mara-says-fantastic-four-not-based-on-existing-comic-stories/

Michael B. Jordan says they're not superheroes, more like disabled kids:

http://www.mtv.com/news/1871300/michael-b-jordan-fantastic-four-sprite-films-creed-interview/

It's going to be found footage:

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Fantastic-Four-Have-Found-Footage-Feel-43635.html

The Fantastic Four, the original celebrity heroes, will not be celebrities in this film, and they won't even be called the Fantastic Four:

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/we-dont-call-them-fantastic-four-says-simon-kinberg-video

Add to these the horrible miscasting of everyone, especially a 12 year old looking Reed Richards and scrawny Ben Grimm, and we have not a faithful adaptation of a beloved comic, nor do we even have a fresh spin on an existing concept. We have a desperate, low budget rights grab to keep Disney from cashing in on what Fox considers their toy, even though they refuse to play with it correctly.

Firefly218
There's no way I'm paying money for this. Either I pirate it, theater hop it or wait for the dvd.

Firefly218
My thoughts exactly. Here are a few "gems" of information from the people involved with this film:

Kate Mara told not to read any F4 comics because it has nothing to do with their storylines:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2014/07/15/kate-mara-says-fantastic-four-not-based-on-existing-comic-stories/

http://www.mtv.com/news/1871300/michael-b-jordan-fantastic-four-sprite-films-creed-interview/

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Fantastic-Four-Have-Found-Footage-Feel-43635.html

The Fantastic Four, the original celebrity heroes, will not be celebrities in this film, and they won't even be called the Fantastic Four:

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/we-dont-call-them-fantastic-four-says-simon-kinberg-video

Add to these the horrible miscasting of everyone, especially a 12 year old looking Reed Richards and scrawny Ben Grimm, and we have not a faithful adaptation of a beloved comic, nor do we even have a fresh spin on an existing concept. We have a desperate, low budget rights grab to keep Disney from cashing in on what Fox considers their toy, even though they refuse to play with it correctly.

thumb up

DARTH POWER

Michael B. Jordan says they're not superheroes, more like disabled

laughing out loud This made me LOL really hard.

But I do get why they're not calling it Fantastic Four. It's because the previous movies gave them a bad name. So they'll probably leave the name for the sequel.

As for the misplaced actors. They are actually all up and coming talented actors in Hollywood. So that will probably help the movie as your general audience doesn't know how these characters are supposed to be portrayed.

So as a faithful adaptation this will be terrible. But as a sci-Fi movie people will probably give it a chance.

JayDaDon
Its likely going to be a good movie. The talent is solid across the board. But they may as well call it chronicle 2 instead of Fantastic four. Its like theyre making the movie while being ashamed or embarrassed of the source material.

DARTH POWER
Its likely going to be a good movie. The talent is solid across the board. But they may as well call it chronicle 2 instead of Fantastic four. Its like theyre making the movie while being ashamed or embarrassed of the source material.

thumb up

Inhuman
It could be a decent movie. I just hate the fact they will call it "fantastic four" just to keep the rights.

They could name it "Power buds" or whatever and it wouldn't make a difference since it will be so far detached from FF canon and continuity.

Firefly218
If The Hangover was renamed Fantastic Four, with Bradley Cooper as Johnny Storm, Zach Galifinakis as Ben Grimm, Justin Bartha as Mister Fantastic and Ed Helms (with CGI wig) as Sue Storm... That adaption would be equally faithful to the source material.

pym-ftw
thumb up

Femi32

That sounds horrible. If Fox didn't want to make a faithful Fantastic Four movie that isn't called Fantastic Four, they should've given the rights back to Marvel so they can make an unfaithful Fantastic Four movie called something else. Especially if it's still up in the air on whether it will connect with X-Men.

I shouldn't hope for a movie to be bad just so Marvel can get the rights back, but it's hard not to.

marvelmadness13
Why shouldn't people want this to fail? It's pretty apparent that Fox doesn't want to make a movie about the Fantastic Four, but they also don't want their biggest competitor to make money off of something they own. If this bombs on a 47 Ronin level it will cost them too much to hang on to, and then we may finally see a Fantastic Four film worthy of the name. Heck even if Disney doesn't want to make an F4 movie we would still have Galactus and the Surfer in Avengers 3, and thats something to fight for lol.

DARTH POWER
Even if Disney didn't do a Solo FF movie for a while we could still get FF joining the Avengers to battle Galactus and the Surfer.

So yeah screw this film. Let's hope it flops hard.

Unfortunately I doubt it will. So I just hope in that scenario they're at least faithful to Surfer and Galactus in these new movies.

JayDaDon
I get casual fans asking me about this film, whether it's connected to the Mcu or if it's gonna be good. I just badmouth it everytime lol

DARTH POWER
^ I'm surprised casual fans even know about this. There's been no trailer and very little hype.

JayDaDon
More and more people want to know whats coming next in comic book movies so you get alot more people checking the web now or watching movie news shows.

DARTH POWER
^ Ah I see.

Looks like Marvel Studios (and to be fair The Dark Knight Trilogy as well) have done wonder for the genre.

Inhuman
lol. I guess Dr.Doom is now a mummy. It keeps getting better and better.

(and by better i mean shittier)

http://www.geek-pride.co.uk/film-and-tv/leaked-photos-fantastic-four-reboot/

http://i.imgur.com/pAs7ScJ.jpg

marvelmadness13
So Doctor Doom has a disability too! It looks like in this he's a Russian Grandmother with severe burns...

super pr*xy
at least the previous movies had the dr. doom look down pat.. i thought that guy was a dark elf.. wtf..

pym-ftw
He looks like a bad spectre cosplay.

JayDaDon
I for one hope thats the final look so eveyone can shout a collective WTF and write this movie off.

Firefly218
He looks like a mannequin for trash bag fashion.

BruceSkywalker
lol. I guess Dr.Doom is now a mummy. It keeps getting better and better.

(and by better i mean shittier)

http://www.geek-pride.co.uk/film-and-tv/leaked-photos-fantastic-four-reboot/

http://i.imgur.com/pAs7ScJ.jpg

that is soooo freakin' disgusting and horrible..

the only way im seeing this shit will be if a friend of mine who owns his own screening room gets this

Kazenji
Stan Lee's going to be disappointed again and Doom's one of his favorite characters.

DARTH POWER
Stan Lee's going to be disappointed again and Doom's one of his favorite characters.

Poor guy. He's getting really old now so probably will never see a faithful live action rendition of FF or Dr. Doom in his lifetime.

super pr*xy
maybe in this movie, dr. doom will be homeless first before ruling latvia..

JayDaDon
Poor guy. He's getting really old now so probably will never see a faithful live action rendition of FF or Dr. Doom in his lifetime.

I'm starting to think none of us will.

Also, those guys on AMC movie talk were saying they loved the Doom look. I couldn't BELIEVE what I was hearing. They really refuse to say a bad word about the developments of this movie.

Golgo13
Doesn't look bad, IMO. And probably look a lot better on film. Once everything is finished.

JayDaDon
Julian Mcmahon's Doom looks like a straight copy from the comic by comparison

roughrider
It looks like more the Ultimate Universe version of Doom, which I believe they are going for with these younger actors.

marvelmadness13
It was just moved back to August. Apparently Fox doesn't want to lose all of their money and have it compete against Jurassic World and Pixar. Maybe we'll get lucky and this date will be out of contract and they'll lose the rights.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>