2012 Spike Video game Awards

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North

Kazenji
Load of bullshit these awards were.

FinalAnswer
Felt most of them were good except for Best Song (imo I Was Born For This)

CoD won no awards hahahahahaha

Kazenji
And leaving new game releases off their nominations.

FistOfThe North
my issue is the spike vga's but even this surprised me And that's The Walking De winning the goty award. really? Over Assassins creed 3, Journey, Dishonored and Mass Effect 3? Halo 4 wasnt even nominated. Far Cry wasn't either. And this hammy point and click wom it. I played it and i remember uninstalling it due to boredom. and i gave it a chance. i had it for a good week, and i watch the show religiously but this has got to be the worst pick for goty ever. even for spike's vga it a new low.

and Halo 4 best graphics? I could name a half dozen recently released games on pc right now that'd blow halo 4's graphics away. i could name a bunch that came out last year alone...

FinalAnswer
Except The Walking Dead was exceptionally good.

And is better then the show.

EDIT: My pick for GOTY personally would have been Journey, but I think TWD is still a respectable choice.

-Pr-
Some of those I'd agree with. Mass Effect 3 is a beautifully crafted game, even if the ending (that I'm quickly approaching) is supposed to be terrible.

Walking Dead has been a real dark horse this year, but everyone that plays it speaks so very highly of it that I'm going to buy it and see for myself.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by FinalAnswer

EDIT: My pick for GOTY personally would have been Journey, but I think TWD is still a respectable choice.

But not exceptionally better than the other nommines. imo, walking dead only has it's story, that's it. but the other nomines had that and more. better gameplay, a higher replay value, way better controls, better graphics and more.

i was surprised to see that they were nominated in the first place.

and xcom over diablo 3 ftw?

'sigh' i dunno.

-Pr-
Diablo 3 was a mess, though.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Kazenji
Load of bullshit these awards were.

Considering that the recipients are decided by popular vote, that is no surprise.

That said, some of the awards were a hit, some were a miss.

Kazenji
Originally posted by -Pr-
Diablo 3 was a mess, though.

And also dumbed down for newer people.

General G

QFT.

Walking Dead the game was great. I'm fairly pleased with that as GOTY. I do agree with whoever said earlier about the best song not being too great. Just listened to it now. Severely disappointed. Listened to their suggestion, much better than whatever it was that won.

Peach
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
But not exceptionally better than the other nommines. imo, walking dead only has it's story, that's it. but the other nomines had that and more. better gameplay, a higher replay value, way better controls, better graphics and more.

i was surprised to see that they were nominated in the first place.

and xcom over diablo 3 ftw?

'sigh' i dunno.

Why on earth would Diablo 3 win any awards?

X-Com wouldn't have been my choice for PC game (I don't think it's a secret what I think should have gotten that stick out tongue) but it's a solid choice.

Ridley_Prime
As per the usual, my give a damn button is nonexistent on this topic, with the exception of some glee at CoD not winning anything for once.

Kazenji
I've seen that Walking Dead game doesn't seem all that special to me.

TheOneOfMortis
Felt most of them were good except for Best Song (imo I Was Born For This)

CoD won no awards hahahahahaha

My favorite one from Journey was Apotheosis.

ares834
I mostly agree with the list. However, while I do think TWD was a great game; I don't think it is worthy of being GotY.

And Telltale Games as studio of the year is laughable.

-Pr-
Originally posted by ares834
I mostly agree with the list. However, while I do think TWD was a great game; I don't think it is worthy of being GotY.

And Telltale Games as studio of the year is laughable.

Why? BTTF, Jurassic Park and Walking Dead were all solid games from what I heard.

Was their another studio that was that consistent? I'm genuinly asking, as I don't know.

ares834
Not sure where you heard JP was a good game as it was one of the worst games I ever had the displeasure of playing.

Back to the Future was pretty awful as well.

TWD is the first time I have ever found a Telltale game to be enjoyable.

-Pr-
Not sure where you heard JP was a good game as it was one of the worst games I ever had the displeasure of playing.

Back to the Future was pretty awful as well.

TWD is the first time I have ever found a Telltale game to be enjoyable.

I heard they were both good, but obviously I have to play em.

What studio would you have picked?

ares834
Not sure. However, I think the other nominees in the category (Arkane Studios, Gearbox, and 343) were all more worthy.

-Pr-
I honestly don't agree, but that's me.

srankmissingnin
I would have thrown Journey the Graphics award for the sheer beauty of the thing. Outside of pre-rendered cut scenes I didn't think Halo looked as good as GEARS3. When I was playing co-op with my cousin he keep saying "OMG the graphics are sooooooooo good!" All I could think is that it looked like RAGE without the stylized art direction on the character models. Seems weird gifting it a graphics award.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Peach
Why on earth would Diablo 3 win any awards?

X-Com wouldn't have been my choice for PC game (I don't think it's a secret what I think should have gotten that stick out tongue) but it's a solid choice.

because it desreved it more than xcom did?

BackFire
Diablo 3 is actually a pretty good game now, they've fixed a lot of the problems that plagued the game in the months after launch. Drop rates are good, each class seems to have several viable builds. Monster Power was a cool feature. Blizzard should get credit for actually listening to the complaints of their playerbase and altering the game accordingly in ways that the playerbase actually wanted.

Nemesis X
I find it a bit baffling Halo 4 wasn't a nominee for Game of the Year. While Assassin's Creed III is, overall, a good game, I think Halo 4 should've probably replaced it.

-Pr-
Because it's Halo 4.

Zack Fair
Because it's Halo 4. http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/1/1/8/7/6/5/3/oh-you-93067263235.jpeg

TheOneOfMortis
Halo have always been overrated. Boring, non-descript plots, little innovation in the franchise since the original, repetitive campaigns, the banshee gameplay sucks and is tedious and it has too much dialogue that you sometimes miss out on because it takes place in the middle of combat sections and is hard to hear over gunfire. I understand it have high production values etc but if you think it should be one of the top 5 games of the year, then i do not hold your opinion im very high regard.

There is stuff that is far more artistic and inventive and jus plain itneresting out there, e.g. Journey, Mark of the Ninja, Trials Evolutions, Crashmo etc.

Tzeentch._
The Halo franchise is objectively superior to the Metal Gear Solid franchise in every way, though.

Kazenji
Far Cry 3 > Halo 4

Tzeentch._
Perfect Dark: Zero > Farcry 3

Kazenji
Zero Wing > Every FPS

-Pr-
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
The Halo franchise is objectively superior to the Metal Gear Solid franchise in every way, though.

The **** it is.

Tzeentch._
Call of Duty 3 > the entire mgs franchise

Arachnid1
The **** it is. Right? No where near. MGS>Mass Effect>Halo>>>>>>>>>>Dog Shit>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>COD

Kazenji
Jill of the jungle > COD

-Pr-
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Right? No where near. MGS>Mass Effect>Halo>>>>>>>>>>Dog Shit>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>COD

I prefer COD to Halo, personally.

Ridley_Prime
I prefer COD to Halo, personally.
Eww.

Tzeentch._
ikr?

Look at all this objectively bad taste in here, coming primarily from the sock, Kazenji, Arachnid and PR of course, not to name any names.

Kazenji
Your one to talk.

Tzeentch._
you're

Kazenji
Trying to spell the name of a car insurance place?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Eww.

They won me over with Modern Warfare; and it's sequel along with it. It was like playing an action movie, and I loved it. I'm not saying Halo's shit or anything; I liked the storyline and the setting etc. COD is just what I prefer.

Though I don't play either online (the last shooter I played online was the first Halo).

Tzeentch._
Originally posted by Kazenji
Trying to spell the name of a car insurance place? what?

Impediment
Journey is definitely a reason to own a PS3.

I'm debating on downloading the Walking Dead game. Has anyone here got an opinion? I have all of the comics and the DVDs, but video game adaptations can be very hit and miss, despite what an awards show says.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Impediment
Journey is definitely a reason to own a PS3.

I'm debating on downloading the Walking Dead game. Has anyone here got an opinion? I have all of the comics and the DVDs, but video game adaptations can be very hit and miss, despite what an awards show says.

IMO The Walking Dead game is more well-written then the show.

If there's ever a videogame adaption to get, it's TWD.

NemeBro
Arachnid's post was particularly gross.

The audacity in claiming that MGS is better than Mass Effect.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by NemeBro

Quite.

-Pr-

I think they both have points over one another, so a tie at best.

Though MGS did more for gaming than Mass Effect did, I think.

Arachnid1
ikr?

Look at all this objectively bad taste in here, coming primarily from the sock, Kazenji, Arachnid and PR of course, not to name any names. Said the guy that thinks COD is better than Metal gear. wink

The audacity in claiming that MGS is better than Mass Effect. Don't get me wrong. They are both up there as the best, but Metal Gear is just better.

Nemesis X
Said the guy that thinks COD is better than Metal gear. wink

If you can't even tell when somebody is being a troll, God help you.

FistOfThe North
Hawken should've won PC game of the year, even though it came out today, (sorta), but still. it's already received multiple goty awards since june. it'll most likely take it in '13, i suppose.

Arachnid1
Call of Duty 3 > the entire mgs franchise
Originally posted by Nemesis X
If you can't even tell when somebody is being a troll, God help you. There is absolutely no way to tell he didn't mean that if I don't personally know him. For all I know, he just really hates Metal Gear.

Zack Fair
They won me over with Modern Warfare; and it's sequel along with it. It was like playing an action movie, and I loved it. I'm not saying Halo's shit or anything; I liked the storyline and the setting etc. COD is just what I prefer.

Though I don't play either online (the last shooter I played online was the first Halo). xbox connect or PC?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Zack Fair
xbox connect or PC?

you mean when i played online, or what i play now?

Zack Fair
online,

-Pr-
online,

Ah, it was on PC when I played it. I've never owned an xbox. My brother had a 360, but by then I had lost interest in online shooters.

Zack Fair
Right? No where near. MGS>Mass Effect>Halo>>>>>>>>>>Dog Shit>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>COD I'm a hardcore MGS fanboy, but it has some issues and sometimes I feel like its an acquired taste.

I think all 3 franchises(ME/MGS/Halo) are in the same tier. Its just that MGS is their grand daddy.Originally posted by -Pr-
Ah, it was on PC when I played it. I've never owned an xbox. My brother had a 360, but by then I had lost interest in online shooters. I wish Halo PC was still playable. Never played that one online =[

-Pr-
I'm a hardcore MGS fanboy, but it has some issues and sometimes I feel like its an acquired taste.

I think all 3 franchises(ME/MGS/Halo) are in the same tier. Its just that MGS is their grand daddy. I wish Halo PC was still playable. Never played that one online =

It was fun, but it was the shooter that put me off shooters. You have to understand, I'd had LAN parties playing UT and the like, so I wasn't new to shooters (I was even decent when it came to scoring). But the team kills over sniper rifles, people killing everyone just to fly a banshee that they couldn't control and would crash five seconds after take-off, and the kind of abuse levelled at me, put me off.

That said, I did once kill three guys in a jeep with one rocket before, so It had it's moments.

Tzeentch._
I wish Halo PC was still playable. That was the shit. It's what got me into Halo. Played that for years lol, even when Halo 3 was out.

TheOneOfMortis

Please bro we have already been over this. MGS kills Mass Effect in almost every way, and I'm a fan.

TheOneOfMortis
I'm a hardcore MGS fanboy, but it has some issues and sometimes I feel like its an acquired taste.

I think all 3 franchises(ME/MGS/Halo) are in the same tier. Its just that MGS is their grand daddy. I wish Halo PC was still playable. Never played that one online =

Not to be rude as I can see that you is a fan but how is Halo in the same tier as MGS? Halo was not very innovative, its campaigns are completely fomrulaic, and its story is mediocre. Don;t comfuse Halo's popularity with how good the games actually are, they may make for addictive multiplayer experience, similar to stuff like COD but any critical assessment of the series will show you that it really isnt that great a series.,

Mass Effect isn't in the same tier either. It is interesting how it almost makes an entire gameplay genre out of the choices you get to make but the corefcore of the gameplay isn;t anything special at all.

MGS is in a tier of its own, namely the incredibly very high production values, incredible storyline, incredibly innovative, varied and dense gameplay, and the shit ton of quirky humour and educational experience Hideo Kojima injects into the games.

-Pr-
Originally posted by TheOneOfMortis
Please bro we have already been over this. MGS kills Mass Effect in almost every way, and I'm a fan.

Not in every way, no. Some ways, sure.

TheOneOfMortis
Not in every way, no. Some ways, sure.

In what ways doesn't it? You'd have to get really specific and random to find stuff Mass Effect does better than MGS.

Tzeentch._
MGS's storyline is utter garbage and has been since MGS 3 though, Ray, and it hasn't innovated anything since 3 as well.

TheOneOfMortis
So it is just MGS4 you have problem with?

Since that it only main series gaem that has been released since 3 and I dobut you have played the spinofffs. Anyway you speak as if there have been loads of games in the series since 3, when it is just MGS4.

Your completely wrong about MGS4 btw, there was lots about the gameplay that was innovative.

Off the top of my head:

The split screen gameplay boss battle/cinematic fight scene.

The Shadow Moses Recreation level.

The mission where you have to track someone through the jungle by observing realistic tracking indiciators such as soil markings.

The mission where you have to follow someone through a city area, not only having to keep track of him and not lose him and prevent him froms eeing you, but also using stealth to avoid surveilance cameras and partol units.

The online multiplayer mode which introduced a bunch of stuff since its coutnerpart in 3 and continued adapting the MGS gameplay into multiplayer senarios.

Plus all the new weapons and gadgets that are unlike anything from any other stealth games or previous mhgs games, such as the octocamo.

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure I could be missing some big tuff and lots of minor things too, it's been 4 years since I played it.

And we'll ignore your opinion on its story...

Nephthys
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/04/gam_shagohod4_580.jpg

Truly inspirational.

TheOneOfMortis
Dear Nepthys,

You are not to be taken seriously on this matter.

A because you is a major toolbag.

and B because you get all your info about MGS not from playing the games yourself but from reading stuff others who have have written about it.

Sincerely, Mortis.

Also you're making fun of what was actually a joke in the game for the record.

Nephthys
My name has two h's in it fool.

-Pr-
In what ways doesn't it? You'd have to get really specific and random to find stuff Mass Effect does better than MGS.

I'd wager that Mass Effect's story is as good as MGS.

Gameplay is just as good; just different.

Character development, Mass Effect wins by a fair bit, though MSG has a flair for the unusual.

And before you ask, I've been playing MGS games since the NES. I physically owned/own MGS 1-4 also.

Tzeentch._
So it is just MGS4 you have problem with?

Since that it only main series gaem that has been released since 3 and I dobut you have played the spinofffs. Anyway you speak as if there have been loads of games in the series since 3, when it is just MGS4.

Your completely wrong about MGS4 btw, there was lots about the gameplay that was innovative.

Off the top of my head:

The split screen gameplay boss battle/cinematic fight scene.

The Shadow Moses Recreation level.

The mission where you have to track someone through the jungle by observing realistic tracking indiciators such as soil markings.

The mission where you have to follow someone through a city area, not only having to keep track of him and not lose him and prevent him froms eeing you, but also using stealth to avoid surveilance cameras and partol units.

The online multiplayer mode which introduced a bunch of stuff since its coutnerpart in 3 and continued adapting the MGS gameplay into multiplayer senarios.

Plus all the new weapons and gadgets that are unlike anything from any other stealth games or previous mhgs games, such as the octocamo.

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure I could be missing some big tuff and lots of minor things too, it's been 4 years since I played it.

And we'll ignore your opinion on its story...

I've played every MGS ever made.

Nothing you listed is innovative.

I accept your concession. MGS has the worst stories in gaming.

TheOneOfMortis
I'd wager that Mass Effect's story is as good as MGS.

Gameplay is just as good; just different.

Character development, Mass Effect wins by a fair bit, though MSG has a flair for the unusual.

And before you ask, I've been playing MGS games since the NES. I physically owned/own MGS 1-4 also.

You have put very little thought into this post I can see.

Mass Effect's story is really nothing special at all bro. Main villain in Saren was compeltely inept and not even slightly interesting, the main story was nothing original or groundbreaking at all (shephard coming into contact with alien artifact, and gaining knowledge of their alien coulture, the prelude to alien invasion) and the characters were for the most part incredibly flat, from the terrible (kaiden, ashley) to decent at best (wrex, garrus).

You think you can get away with this ridiculous statement because its all a matter of opinion but guess what buddy it isnt at some point it is matter of fact and mass effect is not anywhere near as good as MGS.

Nope, terrible shooting and behicule driving emchanics, nothing innovative whatsoever, how can you think you can get awya with this ridiculous comment? It is different, and it is nowhere near as good.

Nope it doesn't, you just think you can get away with this another ridiculous comment because its known for being a character driven story and being able to talk to your teasmmates in dynamic conversation system, but no it is not as good.

Characters in MGS are far more interesting and well thought out, and the amount of focus you get on the main characters and villains is just as much as Mass Effect.

"
And before you ask, I've been playing MGS games since the NES."

btw this is factually incorrect statement.

TheOneOfMortis
I've played every MGS ever made.

Nothing you listed is innovative.

I accept your concession. MGS has the worst stories in gaming.

Perhaps one day we can have serious discussion about this. That your efuse to do so and instead resort to trolling shows everyone that you know deep down that it is objectively superior to the likes of Halo and Mas Effect.

You have not p;layd Peace Walker.

Everything I listed was innovative.

Tzeentch._
I beat Peace Walker in one sitting at work.

You've probably never even played it.

-Pr-
You have put very little thought into this post I can see.

Mass Effect's story is really nothing special at all bro. Main villain in Saren was compeltely inept and not even slightly interesting, the main story was nothing original or groundbreaking at all (shephard coming into contact with alien artifact, and gaining knowledge of their alien coulture, the prelude to alien invasion) and the characters were for the most part incredibly flat, from the terrible (kaiden, ashley) to decent at best (wrex, garrus).

You think you can get away with this ridiculous statement because its all a matter of opinion but guess what buddy it isnt at some point it is matter of fact and mass effect is not anywhere near as good as MGS.

Nope, terrible shooting and behicule driving emchanics, nothing innovative whatsoever, how can you think you can get awya with this ridiculous comment? It is different, and it is nowhere near as good.

Nope it doesn't, you just think you can get away with this another ridiculous comment because its known for being a character driven story and being able to talk to your teasmmates in dynamic conversation system, but no it is not as good.

Characters in MGS are far more interesting and well thought out, and the amount of focus you get on the main characters and villains is just as much as Mass Effect.

"
And before you ask, I've been playing MGS games since the NES."

btw this is factually incorrect statement.

Your attitude isn't helping, but whatever.

I'm talking about Mass Effect as a trilogy, so I'm not limiting myself to one game.

Mass Effect 2 and 3 put a hell of a lot of effort in to character development, even more than any MGS games, I would argue.

The shooting is fine as the games go on; by three it's pretty decent actually. The vehicles, while not perfect, are still more than playable.

Mass Effect is arguably the best game-based sci-fi IP of the last decade, if not longer.

Factually incorrect how? I once played Metal Gear on an NES. Factually correct, is more like.

TheOneOfMortis
Your attitude isn't helping, but whatever.

I'm talking about Mass Effect as a trilogy, so I'm not limiting myself to one game.

Mass Effect 2 and 3 put a hell of a lot of effort in to character development, even more than any MGS games, I would argue.

The shooting is fine as the games go on; by three it's pretty decent actually. The vehicles, while not perfect, are still more than playable.

Mass Effect is arguably the best game-based sci-fi IP of the last decade, if not longer.

Factually incorrect how? I once played Metal Gear on an NES. Factually correct, is more like.

You said MGS...

i have only played the first and I feel no great urge to play the rest for the time being. KOTOR series is far superior imo.

Unless they drastically improve writing and story/character designs I think I cna msotly expect more of the same from mass effect 1, which was enjoyable but nothign special whatsoever.

Gameplay is nothing innovative, special, influential etc. is my point and in me1 is it plain bad controls.

Tzeentch._
> Has only played one game out of a three game franchise.

> Asserts that the franchise is objectively inferior to another.

Glad he conceded to me before the stakes got too high. He's probably never even played an MGS game.

-Pr-
You said MGS...

i have only played the first and I feel no great urge to play the rest for the time being. KOTOR series is far superior imo.

Unless they drastically improve writing and story/character designs I think I cna msotly expect more of the same from mass effect 1, which was enjoyable but nothign special whatsoever.

Gameplay is nothing innovative, special, influential etc. is my point and in me1 is it plain bad controls.

Semantics.

Without playing the rest, how can you know?

They did, but for some reason you won't try it out. It didn't get it's acclaim for nothing. In fact, Jack's character arc in ME2 is better than almost any I've seen in the MGS series, and that's in ONE game.

Were you just bad at the game, or something? The controls are fine (bar maybe the MAKO, and even that got easier once you got the hang of it). They get even better as the games go on.

> Has only played one game out of a three game franchise.

> Asserts that the franchise is objectively inferior to another.

Glad he conceded to me before the stakes got too high. He's probably never even played an MGS game.

I'm starting to wonder myself. I don't see how anyone can feel like they can judge an entire series based on one (which happens to be the earliest, and most flawed) part of it.

TheOneOfMortis
ME 1 has just as much accliam as the others champ. ME 3 is considered the worst in the series, with 2 as the best, but only marginally the best.

I played the intro of ME 2, is Jack the blakc guy?

From what I have read ME1 is of the same calibre in story as rest of the series, only way it really improved tremendously was gameplay, and is of same style. I have played Mass Effect 1, the kotor games, dragon age etc, they all have the same feel and same shortcomings, why should me2 and 3 be so different.

Did Shephard, kaiden and Ashley magically start becomign interesting.

I do plan on playing them actually, just not within next 3 years or so...

Controls were universally panned by critics for the record.

And you statement that jacks character arc beats any in mgs loses credibility by looking at your other comments, i.e. that mass effects gameplay is just as good.

Quite frankly friend I knwo of the uality of people like Snake, Big Boss, The Boss, I dont need to play a Bioware game to know that it will never match that kind of quality.

I only saw first 6 episodes of the vampire diaries, but i can say without having personal experience that there is no wya in hell episode 17 is not on par with the second episode in the godfather trilogy.

-Pr-
ME 1 has just as much accliam as the others champ. ME 3 is considered the worst in the series, with 2 as the best, but only marginally the best.

I played the intro of ME 2, is Jack the blakc guy?

From what I have read ME1 is of the same calibre in story as rest of the series, only way it really improved tremendously was gameplay, and is of same style. I have played Mass Effect 1, the kotor games, dragon age etc, they all have the same feel and same shortcomings, why should me2 and 3 be so different.

Did Shephard, kaiden and Ashley magically start becomign interesting.

I do plan on playing them actually, just not within next 3 years or so...

Controls were universally panned by critics for the record.

And you statement that jacks character arc beats any in mgs loses credibility by looking at your other comments, i.e. that mass effects gameplay is just as good.

Quite frankly friend I knwo of the uality of people like Snake, Big Boss, The Boss, I dont need to play a Bioware game to know that it will never match that kind of quality.

I only saw first 6 episodes of the vampire diaries, but i can say without having personal experience that there is no wya in hell episode 17 is not on par with the second episode in the godfather trilogy.

I'd appreciate if you'd desist from trying to condescend to me.

"From what you read"

Honestly, how can you expect anyone to take your opinion of Mass Effect seriously when you've only played the weakest third of the saga?

My credibility isn't something you should be worrying about, based on your track record tbh.

TheOneOfMortis
Well unfortunately I cannot change that I haven't played the rest of the series, so would it please you if I limited the talk to just MGS1 for a more fair comparison?

-Pr-
Well unfortunately I cannot change that I haven't played the rest of the series, so would it please you if I limited the talk to just MGS1 for a more fair comparison?

If you want...

But you seem to be pretty anti-Bioware, so I'm not sure where this conversation might actually go.

TheOneOfMortis
Anti-Bioware? KotOR 2 is probably my 5th favorite game story of all time bro (after MGS1-4).

Mass effect is my least favorite Bioware game I have played, but it has nothing to do with Bioware, and everything to do with the game. And its not like I hate the game, I just find the claim that it even approaches the greatness of MGS crazy.

TheOneOfMortis
MGS is a real work of art, one that Hideo Kojima poured his heart and soul into in making, a ground breaking story about nuclear weapons and genes, liberty and control, loyalty and the times.

Mass Effect is basically just your standard action sci-fi epic, it is not expertly crafted like MGS, it does not have the same unique vision or a real artistic theme to it, no heart whatsoever.

Nephthys
Obsidian did Kotor 2, not Bioware.

TheOneOfMortis
Originally posted by Nephthys
Obsidian did Kotor 2, not Bioware.

Same thing, and did you get my PM this time?

-Pr-
Anti-Bioware? KotOR 2 is probably my 5th favorite game story of all time bro (after MGS1-4).

Mass effect is my least favorite Bioware game I have played, but it has nothing to do with Bioware, and everything to do with the game. And its not like I hate the game, I just find the claim that it even approaches the greatness of MGS crazy.

I just noticed you said you disliked Dragon Age also, and Dragon Age was one of my favourite RPGs in years.

Was MGS better than Mass Effect 1? Sure. I doubt I, or anyone else here, liked MGS 1 as much as you did, though.

Same thing, and did you get my PM this time?

How are they the same thing?

TheOneOfMortis
Nope, I'm just the only one here who puts things properly into perspective. People seem to have either forgotten how great MGS is, not ever realised it or are just in plain denial. I could write essays on its greatness.

Fact of the matter is that it completely revolutioned videogames. It was the first ever 3D stealth game, and played completely unlike any game had ever done up until that point in time, whether you were hiding in lockers or crawling through narrow spaces, creating distractions by throwing an empty magazine on the floor, knocking onto a hard surface with your fists, exploiting the blindspots of surveillance cameras etc, all of these things were highly innovative at the time (with absolutely expert level design linking everything together). Of course, there was so much personality and so many quirks, from the nudie magazines to the cardboard box which needs absolutely no further explanation I hope, with really unique boss battles such as Ocelot deflecting bullets across the walls or Gray Fox's stealth camo battle... and arguably the greatest single moment in videogame history, the Psychomantis Battle, a moment that completely redefined what it meant to break the 4th wall, and how to use both story and hardware to communicate to the player.

What's more, it was the first game to ever have such a cinematic approach, with real movie like production values, whether it was the world class voice acting, memorable soundtrack, groundbreaking graphics.

The story was absolutely incredible, the concept of Metal Gear was completely unique and explored a hypothetical of nuclear deterrence theory that hadn't been explored in any form of science or war fiction anywhere, and was filled to the brim was so much heart, such personality, romance, and tragedy, mystery and intruige, even the side villains were so compelling they felt like star characters, with Snake arguably the best character by far ever in videogaming. And what's more the game did such a good job of evoking the feeling that you were a secret agent, whether it was the extensive briefing files at the main menu of the game, or the codec system of calling your field members.

As I said, you'd have to be crazy to think Mass Effect deserves to even be in the same planet as MGS. You might think that statements like "gameplay is just as good, only different" cut it but they absoltuely do not and are kind of disrespectful to the greatness of the MGS series, not to mention so bizarelly inaccuarte. And saying that the story is just as good as eually laughable. MGS conceived of a completely original weapons threat, built a scenario around that, and filled it with interesting and unique characters, and beyond that just injected so much style and well placed humour, and in the process experimented around with how videogames could be used mess with the heads of gamers. Mass Effect was your typical "long forgotten or mysterious alien menace, imprending invasion/disaster, rogue agent used as tool by these people, mysterious artifact imparts mysterious powers/knowledge onto protagonist, up to him to stop the threat" story, the story was filled with a bunch of filler, it had no real style or anything, it was simply just unimaginably inferior to MGS, no two ways about it.

Also what's so impressive about the MGS main series was that they made each installment its own fresh installment, not feeling even slightly formulaic, switching things up with the gameplay and storyline drastically, and innovative in both gameplay and storyline each time, and striving for the impossible, which was living up to that psycho mantis battle, and coming damn close numerous times.

-Pr-
Your perspective.

I'm not saying that the MGS series is bad. I know what it did for video games. I think you're just going a bit overboard.

Nephthys
Just cool story bro him. This is like, the tenth time he's gone on a rant about how MGS is teh greatest.

romance,

Snotacon 4 lyfe.

TheOneOfMortis
The problem isn't with me going overboard, it's with you going udnerboard and people like Tzeenth trolling.

Fact of the matter is that I have been speaking in truths, and if what I'm saying sounds pretty extreme it's a testament to how extreme the reality of the situation really is, and that is how great the MGS franchise really is, and if you truly knew that, you wouldn't be comparing Mass Effect favourably to it.

You have a game that basically invented a genre, can claim to possess arguably the most iconic and groundbreaking moment in videogame history, pioneered cinematuic storytelling in videogames, vs any other Bioware RPG mixed in with a cheap imitation of Gears of War shooting gameplay.

A game with such a varied campaign, that every boss battle, ever cutscene, every area, are all like a single act that collectively come together to form this great and vast opera vs arrive on planet, do siede uests, solve planets problems, go to different planet.

Unique scenario that raised hyopthetical questions regarding nuclear deterrence theory vs mysterious alien impending doom storyline.

MGS is so far beyond ME it isnt even funny.

TheOneOfMortis
Just cool story bro him. This is like, the tenth time he's gone on a rant about how MGS is teh greatest.

Snotacon 4 lyfe.

Only after soembody else has brought the series up in an effort to mock me. I came to this thread to talk about Halo..

ares834
Halo was not very innovative,

The rest is pure opinion, but how can you say this?

Halo basically redefined the FPS genre.

Anyway, as for MGS vs ME: I will say I think MGS3 is better than any of the ME games but, I tend to think that ME as a franchise is better than MGS.

TheOneOfMortis
What was so innovative about it? Online multiplayer, vehicules, energy based weapons etc, all had been done before.

Any critical evaluation on the subject will show that MGS is unquestionably superior.

-Pr-
The problem isn't with me going overboard, it's with you going udnerboard and people like Tzeenth trolling.

Fact of the matter is that I have been speaking in truths, and if what I'm saying sounds pretty extreme it's a testament to how extreme the reality of the situation really is, and that is how great the MGS franchise really is, and if you truly knew that, you wouldn't be comparing Mass Effect favourably to it.

You have a game that basically invented a genre, can claim to possess arguably the most iconic and groundbreaking moment in videogame history, pioneered cinematuic storytelling in videogames, vs any other Bioware RPG mixed in with a cheap imitation of Gears of War shooting gameplay.

A game with such a varied campaign, that every boss battle, ever cutscene, every area, are all like a single act that collectively come together to form this great and vast opera vs arrive on planet, do siede uests, solve planets problems, go to different planet.

Unique scenario that raised hyopthetical questions regarding nuclear deterrence theory vs mysterious alien impending doom storyline.

MGS is so far beyond ME it isnt even funny.

Me not revering MGS as the greatest game ever made isn't going underboard in the slightest. You just really love the game, we get it.

The Mass Effect Series (and yes, I said series) is to me, comparable to the MGS Series. You don't have to like it, nor can you say it's factually incorrect, because it's not.

Go play MGS, and stop trolling people, please.

ares834
What was so innovative about it? Online multiplayer, vehicules, energy based weapons etc, all had been done before.

Only hold two weapons, grenades without needing to switch weapons, recharging health, a new control scheme that almost all current FPSs are based on, customizable multiplayer, etc...

Any critical evaluation on the subject will show that MGS is unquestionably superior.

No. A question such as which is better is purely subjective.

TheOneOfMortis
In what magical world does ME somehow catch up to the fact that it hasn't really done anything innovative vs the father of videogame innovation? You think Mass Effect does such an amazing job with what it is that it makes up for being so cliched and derivative?

This is the fanboy in you talking friend.

Let's compare similar scenes from the two games maybe:

ending:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WZHpPaWTm0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuBBjbOWekk

Where MGS has such heart and warmth, such thematic resolution, and the enigmatic conversation at the end, ME is basicallly... the definition of a boring, cliched, uninspired ending to a sci fi action epic... like, it's literally the definition of cliched and formulaic.

climactic moment with main antagonist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsl_TNEeGxg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4CTBIo0Mxk

Come on... this is so cliched and lame! Also, you really start to see the different between a scripted, directed scene, with the weird flow and pacing of the conversation system - dramatically it loses a lot of impact. And the change in Saren comes across as really forced and sudden, and just in general lame.

Liquid is infinitely more charismatic and interesting, he actually has real presence. And his motives are certainly far more unique and interesting, as is the plot of the game.

I can find other comaprisons if you want, but there is a clear master and ameteur at play here.

Nephthys
In what magical world does ME somehow catch up to the fact that it hasn't really done anything innovative vs the father of videogame innovation?

In a world where innovation does not equal quality.

Kazenji
Only hold two weapons, recharging health,

Too bad its getting stale now

i'm glad games like Serious Sam 3 and the new Rise Of The Triad are getting released.

TheOneOfMortis
Only hold two weapons, grenades without needing to switch weapons, recharging health, a new control scheme that almost all current FPSs are based on, customizable multiplayer, etc...

Hmm... fair enough. Still nowhere near as innovative as other franchises but I guess it did do some stuff new. Though the real problem with it imo, isn't so much about the first entry, it's that each new entry adds virtually nothing to it. The stories are never good or ever switch things up, it's basically the same kind of campaign each game, virtually indistinguishable from each other.

Only to a certain extent. By same token we can claim that it is purely subjective over who is the better film director, martin scorcese or michael bay, but at the end of the day objective considerations reign supreme, and mass effect only gets the same kind of critical acclaim and fan reception that mgs does because videogames are still a young, immature and unrefined medium, and if they ever enter the same level of artistry as somwthibg like films, with real journalists and critics and scholars, it wouldnt be the case. Mass effect simply appeals to the sci-fi geek in us who liked to feel like we are commander shephard. But by almost any objective criteria MGS is far superior.

-Pr-
MGS isn't the "Father of Innovation". Not nearly.

Did it spawn a genre? Yes, it did. Is it an excellent game? Of course. It's one of the best games ever made.

But it, like any games, had a few pretty notable flaws.

You try to tear holes out of Mass Effect's saga just because someone dared to compare it to your holy grail of MGS?

Honestly, get over it. There's enough space for ME and MGS on the gaming mountain, and NEITHER is top of it.

TheOneOfMortis
In a world where innovation does not equal quality.

Quality that stands out is relies on being different, and innovation certainly helps.

ares834
Only to a certain extent. By same token we can claim that it is purely subjective over who is the better film director, martin scorcese or michael bay,

It is.

no expression

Yes. I would think anyone who claims Bay is better than Scorcese is an utter dumb ass. But that doesn't mean their opinion is wrong.

Plus that's a pretty extreme example. It's not like we are saying that Uncharted is better than MGS. shifty

TheOneOfMortis
MGS isn't the "Father of Innovation". Not nearly.

Did it spawn a genre? Yes, it did. Is it an excellent game? Of course. It's one of the best games ever made.

But it, like any games, had a few pretty notable flaws.

You try to tear holes out of Mass Effect's saga just because someone dared to compare it to your holy grail of MGS?

Honestly, get over it. There's enough space for ME and MGS on the gaming mountain, and NEITHER is top of it.

What would be the most innovate franchise of all time if not MGS? It didn't just create a gameplay genre, it pioneered a change for the way stories were told and seen as in videogames, told a groundbreaking, original story, and creates numerous moments of genius with integrating the story and player actions with the gameplay and hardware (from the psycho mantis battle, to the battle with the sorrow, the end dying of old age etc). And it is consistently innovative with every main series installment.

Nephthys
Pacman. estahuh

Quality that stands out is relies on being different, and innovation certainly helps.

No it doesn't. Mass Effect didn't have anything different, as you said, yet it stood out. smile

TheOneOfMortis
It is different, but only superficially. It stands out because gaming is an immature, young medium, that doesnt have the same refinement of other mediums. Those superficial differences appeal to shallow, shallow gamers and fanboys.

-Pr-
What would be the most innovate franchise of all time if not MGS? It didn't just create a gameplay genre, it pioneered a change for the way stories were told and seen as in videogames, told a groundbreaking, original story, and creates numerous moments of genius with integrating the story and player actions with the gameplay and hardware (from the psycho mantis battle, to the battle with the sorrow, the end dying of old age etc). And it is consistently innovative with every main series installment.

Not with every installment, no. At least, not in any huge way. Sure, some of the games did add new elements that were pretty good, but you're overstating it just a little, tbh.

It is different, but only superficially. It stands out because gaming is an immature, young medium, that doesnt have the same refinement of other mediums. Those superficial differences appeal to shallow, shallow gamers and fanboys.

You really need to cut out this snarky attitude.

TheOneOfMortis
Pacman. estahuh

I know you're probably joking but yes Pacman at the time was innovative, in the same way Tetris is, and for that it deserves respect. But the scale is completely different. MGS is innovative in multiple areas, multiple aspects, and in a far bigger scale.

Nephthys
No it isn't. Pacman has it beat easily.

TheOneOfMortis
It really is. Some elements remain the same of course, but there are drastic changes in general gameplay, from controls to camera, changes in the capability of enemy A.I., changes with certain items and the way certain systems work.

But of more significance, are the variances to the core stealth/action gameplay that each installment introduces. In MGS2 a large part of the game revolves around bomb disposal, the end of the first chapter culminates in a photography based mission, each boss battle fills like its own unique entity, you have the swimming sections, you have escort missions, there's a segment where you have to be on sniper duty etc. Level design and scenarios add to create completely different kinds of gameplay segments, such as the end of the tanker chapter when you have to get through the conferance hall without being spotted. One thing that's so impressive about MGS is how they combine story and level design with other key videogame mechanics and elements to create an experience. The sense of a meaningful experience trumps everything else. It is not a game that tries to tell a story and uses the gameplay to accomodate that, it is not a game that adds a story on to the end of a game, it is not a game that seeks to create a specific genre. It values all components, and creates an experience that's fresh and varied.

MGS3 of course introduces the survival system and camoflage clothing system, takes place mostly outdoors which introduces a bunch of changes in how the stealth plays in the game, a segment where you have to impersonate someone and pose as him while infiltrating the base, and yes, battles like the one with the end and the sorrow are among the finest boss battles in videogame history and further add to how avried the games are.

MGS4, I already mentioned a lot of the stuff, you got the tracking mission, the following mission, allying yourself with PMCs, moments such as the shadow moses recreation, the microwave hall scene, movie length cutscene, etc.

The series innovates heavily with each installment.

TheOneOfMortis
No it isn't. Pacman has it beat easily.

How?

TheOneOfMortis
Let me give you an example.

If I describe a Halo game to you, it's basically as follows:

progress forward during level - fight enemies - activate switch, watch very brief cutscene, ride around on ground vehicule - fight enemies - ride flying vehicle - fight enemies- progress forwards - utilise a variety of weapons on your way.

That's basically all it ever has to offer in all honesty.

MGS offers an actual experience to play through.

-Pr-
It really is. Some elements remain the same of course, but there are drastic changes in general gameplay, from controls to camera, changes in the capability of enemy A.I., changes with certain items and the way certain systems work.

But of more significance, are the variances to the core stealth/action gameplay that each installment introduces. In MGS2 a large part of the game revolves around bomb disposal, the end of the first chapter culminates in a photography based mission, each boss battle fills like its own unique entity, you have the swimming sections, you have escort missions, there's a segment where you have to be on sniper duty etc. Level design and scenarios add to create completely different kinds of gameplay segments, such as the end of the tanker chapter when you have to get through the conferance hall without being spotted. One thing that's so impressive about MGS is how they combine story and level design with other key videogame mechanics and elements to create an experience. The sense of a meaningful experience trumps everything else. It is not a game that tries to tell a story and uses the gameplay to accomodate that, it is not a game that adds a story on to the end of a game, it is not a game that seeks to create a specific genre. It values all components, and creates an experience that's fresh and varied.

MGS3 of course introduces the survival system and camoflage clothing system, takes place mostly outdoors which introduces a bunch of changes in how the stealth plays in the game, a segment where you have to impersonate someone and pose as him while infiltrating the base, and yes, battles like the one with the end and the sorrow are among the finest boss battles in videogame history and further add to how avried the games are.

MGS4, I already mentioned a lot of the stuff, you got the tracking mission, the following mission, allying yourself with PMCs, moments such as the shadow moses recreation, the microwave hall scene, movie length cutscene, etc.

The series innovates heavily with each installment.

I could take parts of your posts and easily apply them to the Mass Effect series.

I'm amazed that anyone can call the Mass Effect games immature, though. That said, you didn't play them, so I guess that explains why.

Nephthys
How?

'The game is regarded as one of the most influential video games of all time, for a number of reasons: its titular character was the first original gaming mascot, the game established the maze chase game genre, it demonstrated the potential of characters in video games, it opened gaming to female audiences, and it was gaming's first licensing success. In addition, it was the first video game to feature power-ups, and it is frequently credited as the first game to feature cut scenes, in the form of brief comical interludes about Pac-Man and the ghosts chasing each other around during those interludes, though Space Invaders Part II employed a similar technique that same year. Pac-Man is also credited for laying the foundations for the stealth game genre, as it emphasized avoiding enemies rather than fighting them, and had an influence on the early stealth game Metal Gear, where guards chase Solid Snake in a similar manner to Pac-Man when he is spotted. Pac-Man has also influenced many other games, ranging from the sandbox game Grand Theft Auto (where the player runs over pedestrians and gets chased by police in a similar manner) to early first-person shooters such as MIDI Maze (which had similar maze-based gameplay and character designs). Game designer John Romero credited Pac-Man as the game that had the biggest influence on his career; Wolfenstein 3D was similar in level design and featured a Pac-Man level from a first-person perspective, while Doom had a similar emphasis on mazes, power-ups, killing monsters, and reaching the next level'

TheOneOfMortis
I could take parts of your posts and easily apply them to the Mass Effect series.

I'm amazed that anyone can call the Mass Effect games immature, though. That said, you didn't play them, so I guess that explains why.

lol. Are you kidding? Mass Effect = talk to people/fight things, with the only segway being riding in your mako and collecting minerals.

-Pr-
lol. Are you kidding? Mass Effect = talk to people/fight things, with the only segway being riding in your mako and collecting minerals.

That honestly comes across as you just trolling, tbh. Yes, and I meant to say "honest/honestly" twice.

Ushgarak
Ok, let's cut this down now. Get back to topic. TheOneofMortis, stop trolling, and that's the only warning you get before I ban you.

Folks in general- best not to respond to people obviously being deliberately provocative.

TheOneOfMortis
I wasn't going to come back here anyway.

How am I trolling however? I think that deserves some kind of explanation, as I was just debating a topic. Tzeenth and Neph would better fit the bill of trolling.

Ushgarak
It's not up for discussion, and if you make a post like "I wasn't going to come back here anyway" again I'll ban you for spamming.

TheOneOfMortis
Having listened to Cities by Beck I would probably have to agree with that selection actually, though Journey's Apotheosis does come close.

Nephthys
Derp.

-Pr-
I've been liking the Mass Effect 3 soundtrack so far.

BackFire
Having now played The Walking Dead game, I can say I have no problem with that winning. The game was absolutely incredible and has a narrative that puts just about every other game to shame. The writers of the TV show should take notes from the game, they'd learn something. I'm not sure I've ever had such an emotional reaction to a video game before. It brought me to tears. Honestly it's probably the best piece of Walking Dead fiction - leagues better than the show and arguably better than the comic.

dadudemon
Originally posted by BackFire
Having now played The Walking Dead game, I can say I have no problem with that winning. The game was absolutely incredible and has a narrative that puts just about every other game to shame. The writers of the TV show should take notes from the game, they'd learn something. I'm not sure I've ever had such an emotional reaction to a video game before. It brought me to tears. Honestly it's probably the best piece of Walking Dead fiction - leagues better than the show and arguably better than the comic.

H-...holy shit! You've piqued my interest.

BackFire
You should try it. Just keep in mind it's not a normal game. It's a point and click adventure game. The gameplay is basically a combination of quicktime events and exploration combined with light puzzle solving. It's the story and the characters that are the anchor for it all. You can get the entire season on steam right now for 12 dollars, which is half price.

Honestly, it reminded me of the book The Road more than any other piece of Walking Dead fiction. It's much more somber and sadder than other Walking Dead story.

KingD19
It's one of the few stories that has gotten me so involved that when people die, I feel genuinely bad and distressed that I couldn't save them. The ending? Oh man I cried at the ending.

Nemesis X
That ending was, without a doubt, the most depressing thing I've ever seen. For awhile, I've been feeling rather emotionless and have been a downer like Kazenji in a Slender Man thread but the moment I got to that one part, the water works began and I was reminded I'm still human. Damn it. Telltale Games more than just deserve that GOTY award IMO. May we see a Season 2 soon to bear further witness to their wonderful work in such a sorrowful universe.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Nemesis X
I've been feeling rather emotionless and have been a downer like Kazenji in a Slender Man thread

Well sorry for not liking lamer man

didn't realise on this board everyone has to like the same thing.

Dark Exile
Wanted Journey to get it, I really did.

FistOfThe North
Xcom was better than i thought it was. I was critical of it at first especially when it took the pc goty award and decided to really give it a chance. turns out it's what i play mostly now. it's such a multi-faceted game with high replay value.

i thought i'd never say this but it has replace 2004's command and conquer generals as my favorite rts.

Tzeentch._
XCom isn't an RTS. It's turn-based combat, not real-time.

FistOfThe North
right because real-time means happening all at once. got it.

well, it's now my most favorite action based strategy game.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.