Supreme Court takes on Same-Sex Marriage

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robtard
The U.S. Supreme Court stepped into the gay marriage debate for the first time on Friday by agreeing to review two challenges to federal and state laws that define marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

The high court agreed to review a case against a federal law that denies married same-sex couples the federal benefits heterosexual couples receive. It also unexpectedly took up a challenge to California's ban on gay marriage, known as Proposition 8, which voters narrowly approved in 2008.

Same-sex marriage is a politically charged issue in a country where 31 of the 50 states have passed constitutional amendments banning it, while Washington, D.C., and nine states have legalized it, three of them on Election Day last month. -end snip

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/09/us-usa-court-gaymarriage-idUSBRE8B617420121209

If/When the Supreme Court rules that the Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional, it's going to be lolz from the Right/Religious Right crying over how the government is too big and has no right encroaching on peoples rights/beliefs/Teling them what they can or can't do. Can't wait for this circus to get full under way.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
It also unexpectedly took up a challenge to California's ban on gay marriage, known as Proposition 8, which voters narrowly approved in 2008.

I guess 52 to 47 is narrow but the map made me think, otherwise.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/38/CA2008Prop8.svg/508px-CA2008Prop8.svg.png

If/When the Supreme Court rules that the Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional, it's going to be lolz from the Right/Religious Right crying over how the government is too big and has no right encroaching on peoples rights/beliefs. Can't wait for this circus to get full under way.

And I would agree with that crying. The problem is the laws favor heterosexual couples over the single people and whatever-sexual people are not heterosexual people, and they shouldn't. As always, sound-minded adults should be free to associate with each however they want.

Robtard
You agree that they'll be much crying, or you think those that will be crying have a rightful place to cry?

dadudemon
You agree that they'll be much crying, or you think those that will be crying have a rightful place to cry?

Yes to both...sort of.

More like there should be crying because the government should have never gotten between people* to freely-associate with each other. It is just more governing that should not have been put there in the first place. We need more AC on these boards: he explained, much better than I, why marriage is archaic and unnecessary.

*Defined what I meant by that, already.

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon
Yes to both...sort of.

More like there should be crying because the government should have never gotten between people* to freely-associate with each other. It is just more governing that should not have been put there in the first place. We need more AC on these boards: he explained, much better than I, why marriage is archaic and unnecessary.

*Defined what I meant by that, already.

Well, yes, the DoMA should have never passed, but it did, so we need more government to step in and abolish it, thereby giving every consenting adult the same right of being able to marry who they choose, should they choose to marry.

I'll find it lolz when the Right starts crying over "big gob'ment!", when the DoMA is/was just that and they're the ones who typically claim to want less government.

Saying "marriage is archaic" is just something "edgy" people like to say to make themselves seem edgier. Like yelling "**** the system", then they go drink their $5.75 designer coffee drink, while wearing skinny jeans and using their MacBooks at Starbucks.

dadudemon
Well, yes, the DoMA should have never passed, but it did, so we need more government to step in and abolish it, thereby giving every consenting adult the same right of being able to marry who they choose, should they choose to marry.

The only reason they want those rights is due to the privileges that the married enjoy. The rights should not be dependent upon marriage.

Saying "marriage is archaic" is just something "edgy" people like to say to make themselves seem edgier.

Yeah, saying marriage is outdated is definitely "edgy". Derp.

Saying legal marriage is necessary is something the right says to justify their derpy hate to the "homos".

Like yelling "**** the system", then they go drink their $5.75 designer coffee drink, while wearing skinny jeans and using their MacBooks at Starbucks.

I don't drink coffee, can't fit into designer skinny jeans, don't ever shop at Starbucks, and have never owned an Apple computer. Who can afford all that shit, anyway? lol

Robtard
The only reason they want those rights is due to the privileges that the married enjoy. The rights should not be dependent upon marriage.

Yeah, saying marriage is outdated is definitely "edgy". Derp.

Saying legal marriage is necessary is something the right says to justify their derpy hate to the "homos".

I don't drink coffee, can't fit into designer skinny jeans, don't ever shop at Starbucks, and have never owned an Apple computer. Who can afford all that shit, anyway? lol

Probably. But maybe some just like the title. Also, marriage doesn't always grant better privileges, eg we pay slightly higher taxes filing together in CA in our bracket. But that aside, I'm not against non married people having any of the same privileges/penalties.

Yup, it is. Glad you agree.

And that doesn't follow logic either. "Legal marriage" can be homo and legal.

I wasn't implying you think you're edgy.

dadudemon
And that doesn't follow logic either. "Legal marriage" can be homo and legal.

I wasn't implying you think you're edgy.

In CA, legal marriage is between one man and one woman. Prop 8 is from CA, as well. I was not aware we were talking about the other states where it is grayly legal.

Suuuuuure. 313

Ascendancy
Again, just make them feel like lesser people and arrest those who associate with them and "facilitate" their homosexuality as they're going to do in Uganda. Let us all leap and frolic upon the happy middle ground.

Symmetric Chaos
The only reason they want those rights is due to the privileges that the married enjoy.

The symbolic victory means quite a lot actually.

However speaking about "rights" and "privileges" is a bit strange here. The rights are the privileges. The only reason they want those rights is because they want to have those rights.

Ascendancy
So if this by some chance goes badly for those wanting marriage for all, what happens to all the same-sex marriages performed thus far? Would that simply mean that companies don't have to acknowledge them when analyzing benefits for their employees and their significant others if they aren't of the opposite sex?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
The symbolic victory means quite a lot actually.

However speaking about "rights" and "privileges" is a bit strange here. The rights are the privileges. The only reason they want those rights is because they want to have those rights.

Makes perfect sense and I do not disagree. We (not really us...but you know what I mean) created a privileged group of people and this has made it unfair to same-sex couples (or even for polygamous or polyandrous relationships). We should be able to just enter into a civil contract with each other, regardless of the idea of "marriage". This would mean "marriage" rights could be extended to best friends that want to share financial and legal responsibility with each other.

I think the real problem is American's inability to let go of Victorian morals. We just can't separate sex from anything. "I don't care about Estate, tax, insurance, medical, family, consumer, death, and employment benefits! They are having man on man BUTTsex in their America! This will NOT stand!"

Originally posted by Ascendancy
So if this by some chance goes badly for those wanting marriage for all, what happens to all the same-sex marriages performed thus far? Would that simply mean that companies don't have to acknowledge them when analyzing benefits for their employees and their significant others if they aren't of the opposite sex?

Well, I think there is a law governing those benefits, actually. A mostly unrelated law. It's sad that I forget the name of the law: this was covered in one of my HR classes. sad

Omega Vision

Well, I think there is a law governing those benefits, actually. A mostly unrelated law. It's sad that I forget the name of the law: this was covered in one of my HR classes. sad
You took a class on the Harlem Renaissance too? 313

dadudemon
Originally posted by Omega Vision
You took a class on the Harlem Renaissance too? 313

You sunnuva...

No. sad We did cover that in a American Literature History class, but only briefly.

Omega Vision
You sunnuva...

No. sad We did cover that in a American Literature History class, but only briefly.
I actually got shanghaied into a Harlem Renaissance class. It was listed as "Major Figures in American Lit", and because it was the only one of that subject that worked with my schedule I had to take it, even though I'd just gotten done with a Black Women in Lit class (which was also listed as a normal Women in Lit class).

I didn't mind taking them, I just wish they wouldn't sneak that kind of thing under my nose.

Jim Colyer
Can't the Supreme Court find something better to do?

Oliver North
Originally posted by Jim Colyer
Can't the Supreme Court find something better to do?

ya, how dare it focus on matters of individual rights under the constitution!

Lestov16
Let's finally show these religious nuts that the right to opinion does not mean the right to promote ignorance!

dadudemon
Originally posted by Lestov16
Let's finally show these religious nuts that the right to opinion does not mean the right to promote ignorance!

Actually, that is exactly what that means.

Lestov16
I know sad
Sucks that humanity's greatest strength is also it's most debilitating weakness.

Colossus-Big C
I cant wait until the completely ban this shit from USA, we dont need shit like that we have enough problems as it is

Bardock42
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
I cant wait until the completely ban this shit from USA, we dont need shit like that we have enough problems as it is

Yeah, if the gays can marry that would be a huge problem, it would probably lead to the collapse

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
Yeah, if the gays can marry that would be a huge problem, it would probably lead to the collapse

It has already started, man:

http://www.naturalnews.com/032258_economic_collapse_2012.html

BlackZero30x

Actually it would fix a lot more problems then it would cause. The sooner Gays are granted equal rights the sooner it puts stops to campaigns that run things like "vote for me I will fight for gay rights" when there are much much bigger things to worry about. The sooner it becomes so common to see gays with equal rights the sooner it will stop being some big deal for the news and media to blab on about. Honestly if your not gay don't worry about it. It's not like you are the one getting married to them and they will exist with or with out equality...this only puts a stop to gay rights protests and gay pride parades and all the media coverage that fallows. I personally don't care one way or the other but if letting them have their rights puts an end to the things I mentioned then I would gladly vote to allow them equality.

Like I said though I don't truly care one way or another because it doesn't affect me. I have no problem with gays at all and believe they should be entitled to their rights as they can't help how they are. But like I said the thought of it not being an issue to pick a political candidate, or knowing there wont be media coverage or pride parades any more, then that pushes me into voting for them. Lets be honest they're trading fame and coverage to simply live equally. So in short you would hear about them a lot less if they could get married. Of course there will still be hate though. As long as people have the right of freedom there will always be hate for things no matter what it is.

-Pr-

What happens when the gays are legally obliged to carry weapons?

Omega Vision
Colossus:
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5781/1525507803l.jpg
Originally posted by -Pr-
What happens when the gays are legally obliged to carry weapons?
Colossus gets carjacked and loses all his money.

Colossus-Big C
Where the f^ck did you get that picture???

dadudemon
Colossus:
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5781/1525507803l.jpg

1. Is that Colossus-Big C? If not, why did he react how he did?

2. I lol'd.

Omega Vision
1. Is that Colossus-Big C? If not, why did he react how he did?

2. I lol'd.
A long time ago Colossus posted a self-portrait on the CB Versus Off-Topic (or Character Ownage, one of the two) thread where he was staring directly into the camera looking intense/angry. Psycho Gundam promptly took it and photoshopped the shirtless man on the computer monitor and shopped the eyes to look embarrassed/flummoxed. It's actually even funnier now, because the extent of his homophobia wasn't revealed at the time of the shopped pic's creation.

Robtard
LoL, but everyone already suspected he was a closeted sausage-jockey with secret dreams of power-bottoming for a group of large sweaty men.

dadudemon
A long time ago Colossus posted a self-portrait on the CB Versus Off-Topic (or Character Ownage, one of the two) thread where he was staring directly into the camera looking intense/angry. Psycho Gundam promptly took it and photoshopped the shirtless man on the computer monitor and shopped the eyes to look embarrassed/flummoxed. It's actually even funnier now, because the extent of his homophobia wasn't revealed at the time of the shopped pic's creation.

Psycho Gundam you say? I love that guy. in_love

Zampanó
The picture is hilarious.

I'm curious as to what happens if the Court judges unfavorably. Is there any delay, legally, between a negative verdict on the California case and repeals of all of the other States' Constitutional amendments?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.