Jack Reacher (2012)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
This just got released. But I read the synopsis and look at the trailer, and what I keep thinking is: how is this any different from the Punisher?

Because it has Tom Cruise?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Reacher_%28film%29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK7y8Ou0VvM

The_Tempest
I haven't read the books, but I watched the film and was suitably entertained. It's comparable to The Punisher only broadly: the main character is ex-law enforcement who presently applies his skills outside the law to achieve justice.

Substantively, there are some critical differences: Castle is motivated in large part (arguably overwhelmingly) by vengeance and is especially brutal. Reacher, in the film, is not especially nice but his brutality is restricted to one or two scenes. He's willing to take prisoners and generally tries to talk his opponents down before punches are hurled.

For all the b1tching about Cruise's unlikely casting, he was excellent in the role. For 50 years old, he handles the physicality better than half the folks his age; the fight scenes looked extremely realistic.

Ascendancy
I really wasn't worried about him pulling off the character, just about how well it would all come across only being PG-13. With the work from the MI franchise and the Bourne series I suppose R isn't by any means necessary for good pacing and action. Might have to check it out.

The_Tempest
I'd recommend it.

roughrider
The author of the books, Lee Child, has been supportive of the Cruise casting despite the physical differences. He says you just couldn't find the 6"5, blond, muscled giant of a man to cast for this role.

(I think what that really means is, Chris Hemsworth would have been perfect for this but wasn't available. shifty )

Ascendancy
I'm not sure Hemsworth has the chops to pull off the look of a skilled special operator in terms of the hand-to-hand feats, though anything is possible with the right trainers I suppose.

Major_Lexington
I'm interested in this one, haven't seen any extended trailers yet, perhaps an extended trailer that gives too much away would either make me want to see it more or put me off completely, will see.

Placidity
Originally posted by Ascendancy
I'm not sure Hemsworth has the chops to pull off the look of a skilled special operator in terms of the hand-to-hand feats, though anything is possible with the right trainers I suppose.

He doesn't.

Just because he was decent as Thor (half of it was his looks), doesn't mean he is a good actor, at least he has yet to prove it.

Tzeentch._
What does acting ability have to do with looking like a badass martial artist warrior-man?

Placidity
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
What does acting ability have to do with looking like a badass martial artist warrior-man?

Because its someone acting to be a badass martial artist warrior-man?

Unless you mean the movie is just a still shot of him with your favorite homo music, then I see your point.

Tzeentch._
God invented stunt-doubles for a reason; the only thing he'd have to worry about is being big and having an imposing figure. So like, you'd be out of luck. Chris Hemsworth could prolly do it though.

Placidity
I can tell you for a fact God did not invent stunt doubles.

Robtard
Helmsworth would need a "stunt" double to do all the Jack Reacher scenes that are not fights.

He's got the fight scenes down, see: Thor.

Darth Martin
So is this any good?

Ascendancy
Originally posted by Robtard
Helmsworth would need a "stunt" double to do all the Jack Reacher scenes that are not fights.

He's got the fight scenes down, see: Thor.
He's got his "Hulk smash", bar brawl, fisticuffs fight scenes down. He's yet to toss out any kind of battle knowledge remotely resembling all-around hand-to-hand abilities.

Supra
Originally posted by roughrider
This just got released. But I read the synopsis and look at the trailer, and what I keep thinking is: how is this any different from the Punisher?

Because it has Tom Cruise?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Reacher_%28film%29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK7y8Ou0VvM

Its completely different than the punisher. Punisher had a grudge match with his family's killers. Reacher is a rouge that goes around helping/getting into trouble at the same time.

BruceSkywalker
so would anyone actually recommend this???

Kazenji
Originally posted by Supra
Punisher had a grudge match with his family's killers.

Nope, He just wants to wage war on crime itself.

juggerman
Doesn't look like it's gonna be a good Jack Reacher portrayal

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Ascendancy
He's got his "Hulk smash", bar brawl, fisticuffs fight scenes down. He's yet to toss out any kind of battle knowledge remotely resembling all-around hand-to-hand abilities.

That's because he hasn't been casted in a movie yet that requires hand to hand fighting skills.

Once he sheds or outgrows the "spirited young man-look" I can see him being casted in more grittier roles.

Kazenji
Not as much as compared to this brother who has the more "spirited young man-look".

Esau Cairn
So...you prefer "younger brothers", Kaz?

Kazenji
**** off troll.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
so would anyone actually recommend this???

Wholeheartedly.

TheOneFirestorm
I saw the movie today, and a outstanding must see movie.

The Villain has a unique appearnce and name, the movie doesn't move slow, action is similar to The Bourne Identity, Robert Duvall and Tom Cruise on the big screen together again, Tom Cruise is excellent showing Jack Reacher to be a mostly unstoppable force, and something that leaves the movie open for a sequel.

ditto
"Must see" is a bit of a stretch.
I would say it is worth a look though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.