Link vs Cloud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AuraAngel
http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-02/art/oot-link01.gif

V.S

http://www.dissidia-france.com/img/personnages/exm/cloud.png

Since DeathBattle did an episode about the two of these fighters(and since I recently beat FF VII) I'm in the mood for this thread. But to make it different from the other threads that have this topic I shall split it into 5 rounds!

Round 1: Puzzle contest. Specially both get a puzzle set of this and have to put it together. They do not get the case.

Round 2: Crossdressing. Since puzzles are more Link's thing we'll give Cloud a round that may favor him. Link gets Zelda's wardrobe and her advice while Cloud gets access to Market Street and Aeries for advice.

Round 3: A race! A Golden Chocobo in tip top condition for Cloud and Epona for Link(also in top condition). They race across the USA.

Round 4: Adventure switcheroo. Cloud takes Link's place at the beginning of his game(since kid Cloud has no feats make him 16 and when he grows up he can go to his Advent Children level) and Link is merely an adult at the start of his journey in FF VII. Plot plays out the same and they switch gear(Cloud will eventually get the Master sword and Link gets all of Cloud's extra goodies later). Who wins fastest if either of them win?

Round 5: A fight I guess. Cloud(Advent Children version but can still have game feats as well) gets his Ultima Weapon(see above) which allows him to have 8 materia slots(decided upon by the arguers) and Zeidrech armor(sp?), which is strong but lacks materia slots. Link gets his end of game gear from OoT and additional stuff as well.

Any of the events end in a tie results in a game of Janken. So who takes the win?

CosmicComet
Round 1: Link easily. Cloud is not very bright.

Round 2: Cloud easily, as he has experience and looks more the part.

Round 3: Don't know how fast a chocobo is. But I'm assuming a golden chocobo is faster than epona.

Round 4: If Link is allowed the physics of the FF7 world, then I'll assume he'll do superior, as I favor his intelligence, resourcefulness and dogged determination over the loser-ish emo loner Cloud.

Round 5: Cloud, sad to say, is physically much superior. He wins.

ScreamPaste
We agree on everything but five. Link's big frigging hands in particular will destroy any chance of him winning the cross dressing thing, but nothing suggest Cloud is physically superior to Link. I've yet to see a physical feat from him Spider-Man couldn't replicate.

CosmicComet
He's faster that's for sure, arguably better damage soak--probably not more durable though--as his skin is soft enough to be piercable by ordinary bullets that make sparks against concrete.

ScreamPaste
Link plays tennis with lightning, Cloud can't conceivably outfight him, and the better 'damage' thing isn't really arguable either, he cut up some chunks of debris, that's not comparable to chucking hundreds of tons. Link's arm held up when Ganon disarmed him, he's more durable as well.

AuraAngel
Damn it why did the Link pic stop working? :T

Also Cloud's emo loner ish is a result of flanderization...and not entirely unjustified for that matter.

Tzeentch._
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=406363&highlight=title%3A%28link+cloud%29

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=368712&highlight=title%3A%28link+cloud%29

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=338861&highlight=title%3A%28link+cloud%29

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=365543&highlight=title%3A%28link+cloud%29

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=420353&highlight=title%3A%28link+cloud%29

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=458858&highlight=title%3A%28link+cloud%29

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=504675&highlight=title%3A%28link+cloud%29

Reported. Enjoy your ban Aura, you ****ing rulebreaker scum. Can't wait for this thread to get closed down.

AuraAngel
1/5th of my thread is similar to those threads and usually repeats are allowed if things are changed(and they are).

And I'm glad to see you cared so much about the topic to look up all the previous threads. You're such a fan of both series. uhuh

ScreamPaste
http://stuffpoint.com/the-legend-of-zelda/image/142721-the-legend-of-zelda-zelda-ocarina-on-time.jpg

Here, have a new image of Link for your thread.

Crossdressing competition is spite, Link has epic manhands, look at that shit. He'd be spotted immediately.

Luffygear4
death battle was right, link has the ability to block all attacks thrown at him physically, run past the others, and do this with little effort. tho cloud can spam his materia with little worry because its not his planet. link and his arsenal are more than enough to beat clouds brute strength.

CosmicComet
I'd completely bet on Link, if Link had proof of reflexes on par with Cloud.

He lacks this, as Cloud's a bullet timer, whereas Link is not.

ScreamPaste
Lightning > Bullets.

Link's durability > Cloud's strength.

Link's Strength > Cloud's durability.

Link doesn't suffer from CIS. This is a no brainer.

CosmicComet
Link has never provably lightning timed.

Best argument for this is that official art of him of him holding up his sword against what appears to be lightning against that wizard incarnation of dorf, but unfortunately the properties of that lightning is questionable as it is magic, and it appears to be made of...liquid or something.

ScreamPaste
Cause official art of him getting his sword in the way of a lightning strike can be disregarded. Righto.

Link has consistently and canonically dealt with lightning, CC. The fact it's often magical, and being used by a city buster with nation-scale feats does not work against it. haermm

Canon instances of Link playing tennis with lightning >.

CosmicComet
It can be disregarded if there are plausible reasons to question its properties. It's still canon. We just have no idea what its speed is.
Therefore, disregardable. Just like generic lazers in comics.

Played tennis with an electrical orb, that is physically thrown, thus we have no idea what the speed of it is.

ScreamPaste
None provided. Nothing about it appears liquid and the only other thing I've heard about it is 'it's yellow'. 90% of all fictional electricity is yellow, ffs, lol. The electric pokemon type is colour coded yellow.

There's no reason to question it beyond being stubborn, it's very straight forward. We have multiple canon instances of Link being > lightning. It's really that simple. Link's feats put him above Cloud in every physical stat.

NemeBro
The most obvious refutation towards the art of Link blocking lightning is that we don't actually know when his sword moved, after the lightning is fired, or before. Aimdodging.

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by NemeBro
The most obvious refutation towards the art of Link blocking lightning is that we don't actually know when his sword moved, after the lightning is fired, or before. Aimdodging.
This is impossible without lightning speed striking time and impossible team work between Link and Ganon, it would require them to start their swing before the other person returned the bolt directly back at their blade/cape. haermm So, yeah, no.

Even the idea they 'aimdodge tennis'd their way through it requires them to lightning time.

Aimdodging can be argued for like Barinade and Goht, but not for Aghanihm, where he's shown to have intercepted the bolt with his sword, or Ganondorf, where they played tennis with it.

CosmicComet
He could just as easily have been struck by the lightning, and then forced his sword upward to block the rest of the lightning. Common thing in energy blasts in fiction.

Also, this is only slightly related, but I've been thinking for awhile now about the supposed character archetypes that have super-reflexes yet for some reason can't be expected to run any faster than a good athlete/peak human etc.

So we have some character than can supposedly block bullets, like Cloud, yet we absolutely know that the little phucker can't run very fast because he rides a motorcycle for fast transportion. If his reflexes/perception are truly bullet timing, then that means if there's some sort of time dilation effect that's going on that makes bullets seem to go in slow motion, that Cloud would seem to be almost completely frozen due to his low speed until he suddenly commands a 'burst of speed' to react to them.

How the hell can you have such heightened reflexes without appropriately heightened speed? Muscle movement is muscle movement. You can't move your upper body thousands of times faster than your lower body. Or, is the reaction speed the same across the whole body yet only activates for brief moments? Well then, that would suggest that Cloud could only react to bullets or run at bullet timing speeds for a brief burst of time before there's a 'cooldown' period, because if he can react to them indefinitely (assuming he doesn't tire), then how the PHUCK can he not run faster as well? It's retarded. It would mean that since cloud's brain thinks fast enough to bullet time, that while he's running at his no greater than peak human speed, he should feel as if he's frozen in place because his perception speed is much higher than his running speed.

This goes for Link, Kratos (surprised??), and the likes of Thanos as well. All with supposedly heightened reactions, yet absolutely none of them are close to being classified as speedsters.

Lol. Kratos has the perception/reflexes for 'lightning timing' and then is thousands of times slower for the duration of his movements? Hah. I truly see the absurdity of it, now that I think about it.

ScreamPaste
Yep, and then it slowly moved back back after an extended scene with screaming and yellow glows and pointy ha-wrong series. stick out tongue

Also, energy blasts =/= lightning. Stop inventing new scenarios other than what we saw, really. It's like suggesting every gun in FF is powered by rubber bands.

I've thought of and noticed the lulziness of this stuff as well. Epona, while a really hardcore horse, doesn't appear to share Link's superhuman attributes, or at least to his level(I'd argue her over some street levellers though), but is still helpful for transportation because horse. It might just be rule of cool or rule of time period or something, because Cloud's motorcycle is pretty cool, for example. Maybe they're lazy? I dunno, it's just lulz. They can obviously fight at superhuman speeds, but running bores them I guess.

CosmicComet
Lightning falls under energy attacks.

I've seen fiction where characters get struck by a constant stream of lightningy stuff and then then push it back with their shield or weapon as well.

We've no proof of anything from the picture. Too many dubious elements. If only there was a canon comic where Link lightning times or something.

I'm not inventing scenarios to denounce the feat. I've tried to advocate it here for as long as you have, unfortunately I can't keep going with a lie. I try to be as objective as possible. For this reason I can't in good conscience give Kratos the 'lightning timer' moniker either. Not anymore.

I can still allow Cloud his 'bullet timing in blocking only' speed, but only because its far too common a trope to simply ignore the intended meaning of. 'lightning timing in blocking only' is not remotely comparable in that respect.

ScreamPaste
You mean like the canon instances where he does so in the games? no expression Shit, this argument could be made solely on consistency, CC. Ganondorf's been hurling it at Link since the late 80's, the monsters joined in during the 90's, it's frequent in boss fights and we have the OoT instance of them playing Dead Man's Volley with it, and official art of Link intercepting it with his sword from aLttP.

The only 'dubious' element is the fact that the controller rests in the player's hands, but if it wasn't it could hardly be called a game. I'm not one for playing movies.

I try to be objective as well, CC, but I legitimately can't convince myself that this isn't a feat. I've looked at it over and over, I legitimately believe that this is what it is. Short of speculating 'well, it's possible, but not actually suggested, that maybe _____' there's no other conclusion I can come to with the consistency of it and the plainly laid out instances from the art and boss fights.

CosmicComet
Ganon has been using lightning forever.

What of it?

Doesn't mean Link has been lightning timing for the same amount of time. No concrete proof. Look at all the other examples of his speed, and he doesn't seem to have anything resembling super-reflexes, just heightened ones that you'd expect a trained warrior to have anyway.

ScreamPaste
It's not like Link exists in the DCU or MU where there're hundreds of superhumans meeting each other with varying powers at all times and somehow managing, and everyone jobs at some point, or fights are drawn closer than they should be. LoZ is a standalone verse and for a long while Ganon was the only big bad in the series.

He has consistently used lightning against Link with no success. As have the minions and boss monsters. Some of it can be chalked up to aim dodging and luck, but at a certain point, no, somehow this guy in green is dealing with it.

And then aLttP gives us a concrete image of Link doing so, stopping a lightning strike with his sword, an unambiguous strike of lightning.

And then OoT gives us a 3rd dimension, and it's populated with monsters like Barinade who use it as well, and Ganondorf with whom Link uses a lightning bolt as a tennis ball. And then that same Link goes on in MM to fight Goht, and trump him and his electricity as well.

Did Link lightning time in 1986? Eh, probably not, it's possible but I won't argue it. In 1991 he did, Nintendo gave us the art to show it. And in 1998 he did it again. Possibly again in 2000. In 2003 and 2006 it becomes less clear cut again, but in 1998 it's pretty much indisputable.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.