Master of Magnetism vs Superman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

golem370
Can Magneto manipulate the solar energy the Superman absorbs? This is Magneto in his prime the fight starts with Mags shields up.

-Pr-
Assuming this is DCNU, Magneto is capable of putting him down.

That said, Superman is still very fast, very strong, and just as capable of beating Magneto.

As far as manipulating the solar energy, it's possible, but not a likely nor practical tactic given Superman's power source.

Mindset
Mags sends all the power to Superman's head exploding it.

SevenShackles
Originally posted by Mindset
Mags sends all the power to Superman's head exploding it.

He...he can do that?

DarkSaint85
He's hella powerful.

Placidity
Yep, Superman is pretty powerful.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by golem370
Can Magneto manipulate the solar energy the Superman absorbs? This is Magneto in his prime the fight starts with Mags shields up.

I'm not sure if Magneto can manipulate the solar energy Superman absorbs enough to make much of a difference in this fight, but he doesn't need to. Against any post-Crisis version of Superman save the "Electric Blue" version (and I suppose Red assuming Red had the same power), Magneto wins. The Blue version was a (Marvel Comics) Captain Marvel (Monica Rambeau) analog, however, and thus theoretically capable of getting past Magneto's shields to strike him down more or less at will.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by -Pr-
Assuming this is DCNU, Magneto is capable of putting him down.

That said, Superman is still very fast, very strong, and just as capable of beating Magneto.

With shields UP at the start of the fight, as the original poster suggests?

You need to back this up, P.R.

Magneto lightly endured the combined strikes of She Hulk AND Thor when he fought the Avengers.

What exactly do you think Superman is going to be able to do to him?

DarkSaint85
Heat vision, maybe? The very next panel after yours shows Monica bypassing his shields with energy.

But then, debatable if HV can get through. I'd assume so, because light can obviously get through (otherwise, how would he see?)

DarkSaint85
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/RespectMagneto/6%20Fights/Avengers/Fight%203%20-%20Avengers%20VS%20X-Men%201/2.jpg

-Pr-
Because Magneto doesn't always operate at Avengers busting levels.

His shield can only take so much punishment.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Heat vision, maybe? The very next panel after yours shows Monica bypassing his shields with energy.

But then, debatable if HV can get through. I'd assume so, because light can obviously get through (otherwise, how would he see?)

Cyclops optic beams.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Magneto saw himself out from under a lake of lava in one of his early campaigns against the X-Men (don't remember how they escaped, though sad ).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heat vision's not gonna do anything to him.

I already conceded that Electric Blue Superman had the tools for the job, though. THAT's your analog to Monica, not regular Superman.

Monica could literally turn herself into visible white light.
I'm assuming Electric Blue could do the same, which is why I give him the win if he's used here.

-Pr-
Cyclops' beams and Superman's HV are very, very different.

bluewaterrider

Magneto doesn't always operate at Avengers busting levels.

His shield can only take so much punishment.

Original Poster (OP) specified the following, though:

This is Magneto in his prime the fight starts with Mags shields up.

Presumably, OP is referring to the 1990s, when Magneto was even more powerful than the version I showed a moment ago.

Genuinely curious: Where have you seen the shields of "prime" (1990s) Magneto fail?

DarkSaint85
But you're acknowledging that light and heat gets through, right?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/8190/544108-supermansheatvision24vv_super.jpg

Low level HV (OK, Krypto helped too...) from the Earth, to the Moon. And it still dazzles the hell out of the Monitor station.

I won't say it won't do anything to him. Especially as I don't recall Magneto, on average, doing all that.

By all means, though, you can show his high feats. Then Superman will get his high feats trotted out. Then you will argue that average Superman is nothing like how you term 'forum Superman' to operate, whilst having Magneto at Avengers' busting levels as the norm.

AS seen here:
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Mjolnir/ThorMjolnir33-StrikingPowerJIM109.jpg

Ultimately, I guess it depends if you want to have peak level Magneto vs what you would see as average Superman.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by DarkSaint85

you will argue that average Superman is nothing like how you term 'forum Superman' to operate, whilst having Magneto at Avengers' busting levels as the norm.

Ultimately, I guess it depends if you want to have peak level Magneto vs what you would see as average Superman.

Dude. Re-read the original post of this thread.

He specified Magneto at his prime, not during the 1960s when even Magneto's might magnified by machine might fail against Sub-Mariner. You really think the Magneto you're showing me is what the original poster intended?

DarkSaint85
I did. So because he doesn't give any limitations in the OP about Superman, and forum rules dictate he fights to the best of his abilities...I can use high end Super feats too?

I usually assume both contestants are in their prime, anyway.

Placidity
Shit just got real.

bluewaterrider
Use whatever you want.

I need to be shown 1990s Magneto's shields failing against the physical force of an opponent before it will have any meaning to me.

As for bouncing heat vision off the moon and blinding Flash and company, that has little meaning to me either. I don't know where your selection is from, the military does crap like all the time in our real world, and, for much of the history that I know of, the JLA station was ON the moon.

-Pr-
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Original Poster (OP) specified the following, though:

This is Magneto in his prime the fight starts with Mags shields up.

Presumably, OP is referring to the 1990s, when Magneto was even more powerful than the version I showed a moment ago.

Genuinely curious: Where have you seen the shields of "prime" (1990s) Magneto fail?

There are a bunch of different eras you could use, unless the OP is willing to specify.

The 90s isn't necessarily his prime.

And no, we're not applying a no-limits fallacy to Magneto, especially given Superman's ability to get through energy fields in various ways.

And Cyclops is still a horrible comparison.

Placidity
I love how this whole thread is about me. Just talk about Sinister somehow now.

DarkSaint85
I know it was on the Moon - what's your point?

Why does it need to be physical force for Superman to win?

Dude. Re-read the original post of this thread.

Its asking if Magneto can manipulate the sunlight energy that is in Superman's cells. Not whether Superman can beat Magneto in a fist fight, or at chess, or at hackeysack.

And I say no, he can't. The OP also specified it was a 'fight'. Magneto will be hovering there, trying to absorb the energy (I don't really see him multitasking), so he would have to absorb AS his shields are up. And even at peak, he has been shown to need to concentrate and devote all his powers to maintaining the shield as a powerful foe beats down on it.

-Pr-
-Waits for someone to post completely irrelevant scan of Doctor Polaris in an attempt to be clever-

bluewaterrider
-Waits for someone to post completely irrelevant scan of Doctor Polaris in an attempt to be clever-

confused

Who or what is a "Doctor Polaris"?

-Pr-
confused

DC villain with a powerset similar to Magneto. Fought Green Lantern back in the day, ended up in Luthor's team of villains on more than one occasion.

Philosophía
A serios Superman would need about one punch to break through Magneto's shield.

Shabazz916
Superman takes out mags shields with his ice breath causen mags to shock himself

DTM
Superman wins a majority, but it wont be easy (which says Alot for Magneto, really).

Golgo13

Mindset
HV isn't bypassing Mag's shields, phags.Originally posted by Golgo13
This is coming from a real Magneto fan. Superman wins, but it won't be easy, IMO. He still doesn't know shit.

carver9
Good fight but Magneto wins 7 or 8/10 but works d*** hard for it.

carver9
confused

I can PM you the fight if you want. I don't think a Doctor Poloris and Superman fight will go the same way though because Superman would play his cards right.

abhilegend
Originally posted by carver9
Good fight but Magneto wins 7 or 8/10 but works d*** hard for it.
laughing out loud

Mindset
Mags wins at least 10/10.

carver9
Originally posted by abhilegend
Superman shoots a kamehameha out of his eyes with the power comparable to a big bang.

If he can do that, I agree, Superman 10/10.

-Pr-
A punch would do it. Shouldn't nerf him to the level of some DBZ fool.

abhilegend
If he can do that, I agree, Superman 10/10. Originally posted by abhilegend
laughing out loud

h1a8
This is a good fight. I like Mags. Superman does have other options than brute force though.

golem370
Magneto is a power house and this is Mags at the peak of this power.

carver9
If this is DCNU Superman, Magneto wins a healthy majority.

-Pr-
DCNU Superman is just as powerful as preboot Superman... Even with less experience, he still has enough to take on Magneto.

Zack Fair
thumb up

Sixth_Winged
Classic Magneto realigns all the satellites in space to acquire red solar radiation from the stars and pummels superman as a living red solar
battery ala AVX.

yeah....

Superman wins.

Odekahn
When magneto heard he was fighting the Man of Steel, he scoffed. Little did he know....

Yeah. Superman wins.

quanchi112
XOriginally posted by golem370
Can Magneto manipulate the solar energy the Superman absorbs? This is Magneto in his prime the fight starts with Mags shields up. Yes.

JakeTheBank
"Superman, welcome to DIE"

quanchi112
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
"Superman, welcome to DIE" thumb up

Magneto has the feats to back him being able to manipulate the power SM absorbs. In fact, doctor polaris has done exactly that and depowered SM (twice IIRC). In a forum fight, SM wins a majority.

abhilegend
Originally posted by 753
Magneto has the feats to back him being able to manipulate the power SM absorbs. In fact, doctor polaris has done exactly that and depowered SM (twice IIRC). In a forum fight, SM wins a majority.
Polaris didn't depower superman anytime.

you're the expert, so what happened here exactly? the othe scene in my mind would be the one in which a female personality of his does it, if I'm remembering it correctly.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/169/drpolarisvssuperman9md8.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/75/drpolarisvssuperman10zj3.jpg/

EDIT: damn broken links. anyway, you know the scenes.

janus77
Magneto wins ... a few.

yaadaveyaa
i think mags has the powerset to overtake smile

abhilegend
Originally posted by 753
you're the expert, so what happened here exactly? the othe scene in my mind would be the one in which a female personality of his does it, if I'm remembering it correctly.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/169/drpolarisvssuperman9md8.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/75/drpolarisvssuperman10zj3.jpg/

EDIT: damn broken links. anyway, you know the scenes.
I don't know which instance you're talking about. Polaris only fought superman twice, once in JLA 59 and then in Action comics 829.

She bend the light waves away from him. Superman was never depowered.

the one they fight on top of a bridge. found a linkt o CV thread: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/professor-x-and-magneto-vs-superman-713709/

He seemed pretty depowered to me. Same goes for the instance in which she says she was turning him into one of the little people by denying him sunlight..

abhilegend
Originally posted by 753
the one they fight on top of a bridge. found a linkt o CV thread: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/professor-x-and-magneto-vs-superman-713709/

He seemed pretty depowered to me. Same goes for the instance in which she says she was turning him into one of the little people by denying him sunlight..

Superman was still as powerful as ever. She just bent the light away from him, turning him blind. Nothing else. Even in the end he was firing HV and stuff. She denied him any more power from sunlight, he wasn't powerless though. Here is the end result of the whole scuffle

http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/15943161_AC828SUPERMANVSMAGNETICDRAIN11.jpg

h1a8
Where is the proof that Mags can manipulate solar energy?

x-men eve of destruction

Superman was still as powerful as ever. She just bent the light away from him, turning him blind. Nothing else. Even in the end he was firing HV and stuff. She denied him any more power from sunlight, he wasn't powerless though. Here is the end result of the whole scuffle

http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/15943161_AC828SUPERMANVSMAGNETICDRAIN11.jpg what about the first incident atop the bridge in which he goes "I drink your sunlight milkshake!"

abhilegend
Originally posted by 753
x-men eve of destruction
He didn't manipulate dazzler's lights if that's what you have in the mind. BTW do you have that scan where Magneto was unable to control the iron in blood of Omerta?Originally posted by 753
what about the first incident atop the bridge in which he goes "I drink your sunlight milkshake!"
This?

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_AC827SUPERMANVSMAGNETICDRAIN4.jpg

Superman even said that he was blind, not powerless. Also she again bent the lightwaves around him. She sent some cables to ensnare superman in the very next page and he melted each of them.

He didn't manipulate dazzler's lights if that's what you have in the mind. BTW do you have that scan where Magneto was unable to control the iron in blood of Omerta?
you mean because dazzler was later seen posing as chuck? as I understand the scene, the switch took place after he bent the photons around his shield and struck her. jean simply hid her presence to convince him she was dead after his attack (no anti-tp helmet in this arc), so I take the feat as legit.

sorry, I only found him flinging omerta into orbit http://jonhex.livejournal.com/pics/catalog/464/56338

so he wasnt weakened when he was on his knees on the bridge?

bluewaterrider

Magneto wins a healthy majority.

thumb up

abhilegend
Originally posted by 753
you mean because dazzler was later seen posing as chuck? as I understand the scene, the switch took place after he bent the photons around his shield and struck her. jean simply hid her presence to convince him she was dead after his attack (no anti-tp helmet in this arc), so I take the feat as legit.

No. That was an illusion created by xavier who was freed by Dazzler and Dazzler was posing as xavier on the cross.

No problem bro.

Momentarily weakened maybe. Powerless? Of course not.

Mindset
Superman is the man of steel...Magneto controls metal.

Digi
I'm legit shocked at the Magneto support. I have no desire to enter the debate, but it's just an observation. I didn't know forum support for him was that high relative to Superman, even at peak levels.

thumb up

That pic of Magneto and Galactus is hardcore as ****!

Golgo13
Superman.

pym-ftw
Anyone who thinks this an easy fight for either is dumb, edge to Superman

JakeTheBank
lol @ the Daniel Bryan sig

bluewaterrider

As far as manipulating the solar energy, it's possible, but not a likely ... given Superman's power source.

confused

Fan support?

-Pr-
confused

Fan support?

Huh?

bluewaterrider
Partially tongue-in-cheek, Pr.

You wrote this as if Superman's power source is something other than yellow sunlight, which, in some incarnations, IS debate-able.

-----------

I'm still left quite puzzled by your Dr. Polaris. Is it a man? A woman?
A robot? Why does there seem to be a disembodied head the heroes refer to when going up against the Doc in one of those scans?

It's decidedly DC though; the only comics Polaris I was aware of in any sense before this thread was Lorna Dane of the X-Men. Relatively few people know of her; a fact not helped by her being under-utilized for the sake of larger drama in story-lines, a case-in-point illustrated strikingly by at least one Marvel writer:

bluewaterrider
I must say this was a clever catch on the author's part.

It's actually staggering to imagine how very different Marvel Comics history WOULD be if this scenario had been pursued, compared to the one we actually got ...

Oliver North
So, if the question is, "Could Magneto manipulate the solar energy as Superman is absorbing it, or manipulate it to weaken him?", I think the answer is yes, pointing to the Proteus feat; obviously Magneto has control of energy beyond "magnetism" or even the EM spectrum. I think it is even reasonable to think he could exploit the red sunlight weakness, if he were aware of it.

The issue is, could he do this in a fight against Superman, especially on a forum? I'd say no. The Proteus feat took time, and Superman is going to be far too aggressive and too fast to give that to him. Superman just overwhelms him 10/10 times, even if in some academic sense we can say it is possible Magneto could manipulate his energy source.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Oliver North

The issue is, could he do this in a fight against Superman, especially on a forum? I'd say no. The Proteus feat took time, and Superman is going to be far too aggressive and too fast to give that to him. Superman just overwhelms him 10/10 times, even if in some academic sense we can say it is possible Magneto could manipulate his energy source.

You're preceding off a few wrong assumptions though, North.

For starters, the idea that Magneto is unable to fight and perform other actions simultaneously. To multi-task, if you will.

I should have responded to that claim earlier in the thread, and will do so now, by showing the following scene from Uncanny X-Men #150 ...

golem370
He also has the ability to increase his power by feeding on earth's magnetic energy.

Oliver North
You're preceding off a few wrong assumptions though, North.

For starters, the idea that Magneto is unable to fight and perform other actions simultaneously. To multi-task, if you will.

I should have responded to that claim earlier in the thread, and will do so now, by showing the following scene from Uncanny X-Men #150 ...

I've made no such claim.

I said Magneto wont be able to do a high end energy manipulation against Superman while also defending against his offensive might.

yaadaveyaa
So, if the question is, "Could Magneto manipulate the solar energy as Superman is absorbing it, or manipulate it to weaken him?", I think the answer is yes, pointing to the Proteus feat; obviously Magneto has control of energy beyond "magnetism" or even the EM spectrum. I think it is even reasonable to think he could exploit the red sunlight weakness, if he were aware of it.

so if he manipulates his power source and makes him weak how doesnt mags just roll over him? he has the feats and has extremely powerful shields as well im sure supes would eventually break thru but 10/10 for supes? no chance he can take away his power source and u also r forgetting ANYTHING metal he can use as a weapon so hes going to be constantly trying to avoid shit being tossed at him and striking him mags can take a few wins here 10/10 is insane

JakeTheBank
Tbh, I actually think it will be easier (relatively speaking of course) for Magneto to harm Superman than vice versa. I don't think said fight would be easy for either opponent, though.

bluewaterrider
Here, we note Magneto in an intense mental battle against Charles Xavier.
Despite the fact that Magneto is not noted for telepathy or any special stated prowess in that area, he holds his own.

The important thing to note, however, is that WHILE going against an acknowledged MASTER of mental duels, and giving such an account of himself that we are told it takes "all the strength and skill at command",

Magneto is STILL able to perform a second, and nuanced, and decisive action, gently loosening the screws on Xavier's chair and then suddenly yanking Xavier in, chair and all.

The action brings Xavier within range of a power-dampener, which gives Magneto the victory over Charles, note that Magneto then performs ANOTHER maneuver which simultaneously incapacitates the crew that brought Xavier near the island.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by golem370

He also has the ability to increase his power by feeding on earth's magnetic energy.

Actually, he has the ability to do even better than THAT, as evidenced in his unlikely Avengers versus X-Men showdown against Iron Man in the most recent Phoenix storyline:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14022738
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14022797
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14022745
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14022748
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14319466

No. That was an illusion created by xavier who was freed by Dazzler and Dazzler was posing as xavier on the cross.

chuck was the one to mindrape him when he atemtoped to rip the metal from logan's bones, but the point remains: when did the swithc take place? because magnus was inhibting chuck's powers via hemoglobine manipulation, chuck would have to be freed first to pull the mindrape off. in that case dazzler's presence would have to be cooncealed by jean. moreover, the attack was witnessed by all and dazzler only disappears after magneto seemingly desintegrates her, this would be the perfect momento to conceal her for the switch. as such, I think she did attack him and he did deflect the blast by photon manipulation.

yaadaveyaa
Actually, he has the ability to do even better than THAT, as evidenced in his unlikely Avengers versus X-Men showdown against Iron Man in the most recent Phoenix storyline:

great scans ty

carver9
Oliver, you do know Magneto starts of with his shields up, right?

Oliver North
right, I forgot Magneto's shields were an insta-win on KMC

carver9
right, I forgot Magneto's shields were an insta-win on KMC

Not instant win...it just gives him the time he needs to defend and attack.

Oliver North
against a forum powered Superman? fine, I'm satisfied being the only one who feels this way

abhilegend
Originally posted by 753
chuck was the one to mindrape him when he atemtoped to rip the metal from logan's bones, but the point remains: when did the swithc take place? because magnus was inhibting chuck's powers via hemoglobine manipulation, chuck would have to be freed first to pull the mindrape off. in that case dazzler's presence would have to be cooncealed by jean. moreover, the attack was witnessed by all and dazzler only disappears after magneto seemingly desintegrates her, this would be the perfect momento to conceal her for the switch. as such, I think she did attack him and he did deflect the blast by photon manipulation.
Dazzler put up an illusion herself and then disappeared to take xavier's place. It was explicitly stated that he didn't manipulate her lights.Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Tbh, I actually think it will be easier (relatively speaking of course) for Magneto to harm Superman than vice versa. I don't think said fight would be easy for either opponent, though.

Given that magneto doesn't fights with his shield on most of the time, I've a hard time seeing him remain conscious for long.

carver9
against a forum powered Superman? fine, I'm satisfied being the only one who feels this way

What is a forum powered Magneto and Superman? I thought we still go by what happens on panel? We don't make up a way a character battles in a forum fight. Am I wrong? What is it that you see Superman doing in this fight?

bluewaterrider

I forgot Magneto's shields were an insta-win on KMC

It's worth pointing out, again, those shields ARE great defense for Magneto, even against multiple threats, even if he himself, a moment before his shields were put up, had been weakened by an assault ...

(Uncanny X-Men 150)

Digi

You're not. This is like looking at an alternate universe KMC. Where's the planet-benching, pico-second reaction, sh*tstomp-anyone-this-side-of-Surfer Superman that I've been debating against for years? I know DCnU stripped a few high-end feats, but geez.

Oliver North
What is a forum powered Magneto and Superman? I thought we still go by what happens on panel? We don't make up a way a character battles in a forum fight. Am I wrong? What is it that you see Superman doing in this fight?

In this case specifically, it would be that Superman would use his speed to wear down Magneto's shields before Magneto could pull off what would be one of his better energy manipulation feats, and even then, I don't think it is a one-shot kill if Magneto could somehow effect Superman's energy.

I mean, even Magneto admitted he couldn't take hits from Mjolnir indefinitely, and with his speed, Superman should be hitting him as hard at least several times a second.

Think of it this way. Holocaust can take shots from Thor, and in fact, it took several hits from Mjolnir and Iron Man to put him down. Holocaust is fast enough to tag Quicksilver. Holocaust can absorb the energy from people, like Superman. Do you think Holocaust is going to take 1/10 from Superman?

abhilegend
Originally posted by Digi
You're not. This is like looking at an alternate universe KMC. Where's the planet-benching, pico-second reaction, sh*tstomp-anyone-this-side-of-Surfer Superman that I've been debating against for years? I know DCnU stripped a few high-end feats, but geez.
Carver happened.

python99
thumb up

Amazing pic of Magneto and Galactus

I remember a few years back I made a poll thread on 3 scenarios and asked if a full powered fully enraged magneto can take out Galactus even if it cost him his own life

1) Magneto wins but barely survives
2) Magneto dies and takes Galactus with him
3) Magneto dies for nothing , Galactus too powerful

I got hit with the spite thread and locked

Oliver North

I just posted the Superman vs Starhawk thread and had to deal with Superman the energy manipulator and 1000s of times faster than light speedster...

Magneto brings out the weird in people I guess.

carver9

Gotcha

bluewaterrider

even Magneto admitted he couldn't take hits from Mjolnir indefinitely, and with his speed, Superman should be hitting him as hard at least several times a second.

Magneto is "admitting" to that in Dark Saint's 1960s showing.

The thread poster specifically stated this is Magneto in his PRIME, not as he appears in his earliest years and powers weakest.

By the 1980s, let alone subsequent years, Magneto's shields were powerful enough to endure Thor's hammer strikes so effectively that he scoffed at Thor and told Thor and She-Hulk that mere physical force could not breach them.

carver9
@Oliver...

I understand your intake on this but Magneto doesn't have to manipulate anything to win this, his power output is sufficient enough. Also, are you referring to the classic showing with Thor and Magneto? Magneto has gained a power increase since then. Do you know of a time Magneto shields has been breached.?

Zack Fair
You're not. This is like looking at an alternate universe KMC. Where's the planet-benching, pico-second reaction, sh*tstomp-anyone-this-side-of-Surfer Superman that I've been debating against for years? I know DCnU stripped a few high-end feats, but geez. Nowadays people be jelly of Superman.

Threatened by his incoming return as King with MoS superdur

bluewaterrider
Magneto is able to manipulate various forms of electromagnetic radiation.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14319502
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14319504

His shields block even volcanic heat, if memory serves.

(Uncanny Xmen #113. I do not have this issue, unfortunately. Seem to remember Magneto making his way to safety through a deluge of lava after his base is destroyed. Would very much appreciate if anyone could post those scenes.)

Magneto's shields certainly block out lasers and concussive beams.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14319524

Magneto's shields can lightly endure the mightiest strikes of THOR in prime incarnations, with no discernible ill effects, and apparently little disturbance of Magneto's concentration.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14137001

Magneto can perform complex mental tasks in the midst of battle even when he IS stressed, remarkable and precise ones

-- counting of neodymium magnets
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14026860

-- unscrewing of chair bolts in psionic battle with Xavier
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14319443
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14319457

Magneto has awareness of changes and flow in the galaxy that includes detection of other planets (and their sudden loss).
Magneto can augment his power by drawing on the magnetic fields not only of Earth, but of other planets as well.
(Hinted that he can do this with the Sun in that Iron Man battle, but I won't directly claim that.)

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14319475

Magneto can manipulate ship metal.

-Pr-
Partially tongue-in-cheek, Pr.

You wrote this as if Superman's power source is something other than yellow sunlight, which, in some incarnations, IS debate-able.

-----------

I'm still left quite puzzled by your Dr. Polaris. Is it a man? A woman?
A robot? Why does there seem to be a disembodied head the heroes refer to when going up against the Doc in one of those scans?

It's decidedly DC though; the only comics Polaris I was aware of in any sense before this thread was Lorna Dane of the X-Men. Relatively few people know of her; a fact not helped by her being under-utilized for the sake of larger drama in story-lines, a case-in-point illustrated strikingly by at least one Marvel writer:

I was speaking more about the sun being such an abundant power source, rather than saying that it was the power source at all.

bluewaterrider
Link version of above.

Magneto is able to manipulate various forms of electromagnetic radiation.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14319502
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14319504

Magneto's shields block even volcanic heat, if memory serves.

(Uncanny Xmen #113. I do not have this issue, unfortunately. Seem to remember Magneto making his way to safety through a deluge of lava after his base is destroyed. Would very much appreciate if anyone could post those scenes.)

Magneto's shields certainly block out lasers and concussive beams.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14319524

Magneto's shields can lightly endure the mightiest strikes of THOR in prime incarnations, with no discernible ill effects, and apparently little disturbance of Magneto's concentration.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14137001

Magneto can perform complex mental tasks in the midst of battle even when he IS stressed, remarkable and precise ones

-- counting of neodymium magnets
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14026860

-- unscrewing of chair bolts in psionic battle with Xavier
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14319443
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14319457

Magneto has awareness of changes and flow in the galaxy that includes detection of other planets (and their sudden loss).
Magneto can augment his power by drawing on the magnetic fields not only of Earth, but of other planets as well.
(Hinted that he can do this with the Sun in that Iron Man battle, but I won't directly claim that.)

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14319475

Oliver North
@Oliver...

I understand your intake on this but Magneto doesn't have to manipulate anything to win this, his power output is sufficient enough. Also, are you referring to the classic showing with Thor and Magneto? Magneto has gained a power increase since then. Do you know of a time Magneto shields has been breached.?

thats what I mean though, by that logic, shields = win

carver9
thats what I mean though, by that logic, shields = win

I'm trying to understand something here. You are using Superman powers at its best but you are using Magneto powers at its average.

confused

Really?

Oliver North
I'm trying to understand something here. You are using Superman powers at its best but you are using Magneto powers at its average.

confused

Really?

I'm not ignoring anything, I don't think Magneto's best shields are capable of stopping a no-holding-back assault from Superman for very long.

But you are correct, I can't name a time they have been breached, and by that logic, they can't be, therefore win.

-Pr-
"Power output" somehow doesn't involve manipulating things, when that's Magneto's primary power?

Superman on average is more powerful than Magneto's average, tbh.

Also, no limit fallacies = bad.

carver9
@Oliver...

Non holding back Superman?

carver9
"Power output" somehow doesn't involve manipulating things, when that's Magneto's primary power?

Superman on average is more powerful than Magneto's average, tbh.

Also, no limit fallacies = bad.

I agree...can't see Magneto "not" using his manipulating powers but his blasting powers can also be a game changer.

I disagree with average Superman being more powerful than an average Magneto. Both are high Heralds. Magneto is a consistent team wrecker.

Oliver North
@Oliver...

Non holding back Superman?

what is unclear about that?

Both are high Heralds.

-Pr-
I agree...can't see Magneto "not" using his manipulating powers but his blasting powers can also be a game changer.

I disagree with average Superman being more powerful than an average Magneto. Both are high Heralds. Magneto is a consistent team wrecker.

His blasting isn't as effective as his manipulation. And it's not like Superman is unused to energy attacks.

Superman is as much a team wrecker as Magneto is, so I really don't see why bringing that up is supposed to mean anything.

carver9
what is unclear about that?

This isn't a CIS off battle. Superman is still fighting "in character".

You don't think Magneto is a high Herald?

bluewaterrider

His blasting isn't as effective as his manipulation. And it's not like Superman is unused to energy attacks.

I think what Carver is trying to say, relevant to the thread, is that Magneto can beat DCnU Superman in direct battle. He doesn't have to resort to manipulating Superman's solar energy to get a win.

If that IS what Carver's saying, I agree.

Superman is as much a team wrecker as Magneto is, so I really don't see why bringing that up is supposed to mean anything.

That's easy:

Magneto has extensive EXPERIENCE in multi-tasking, fighting multiple opponents, and dealing (generally non-lethally) with people of differing power levels.

For that matter, I, in turn, must question you: what relevance does it have if Superman's average power output IS higher than Magneto's when

A) Magneto is generally fighting people who require less force to put down and only uses great force when necessary (it doesn't take Black Adam level force to knockout Gambit or Wolverine, for instance)

and

B) we're talking again about PRIME, not low-average, Magneto?

Oliver North
This isn't a CIS off battle. Superman is still fighting "in character".

so you are suggesting, what? he is holding back?

You don't think Magneto is a high Herald?

not really, no... there are lots of "team busters" who aren't high herald

carver9

I don't think it'll be easy for either of them and I agree, Superman can withstand attacks from Magneto...that's why I said this battle is highly debatable.

Can't see Superman taking on a team that includes Thor and actually having an advantage. Don't think even you would think he is capable of a ft like that.

Zack Fair
Depends on the team.

He could dispatch most of the fodder(most teams consist of fodder) and then tackle Thor for the main event.

carver9
so you are suggesting, what? he is holding back?

not really, no... there are lots of "team busters" who aren't high herald

I'm suggesting "he is fighting in character" which means, he is holding back just like every other hero high Herald does.

Magneto have the fts of being in the high herald class.

carver9
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Depends on the team.

He could dispatch most of the fodder(most teams consist of fodder) and then tackle Thor for the main event.

Thor would have to be standing still for that to happen.

Zack Fair
Thor is a slowpoke. If Superman blitzes the shit out of fodder there is little Thor can do IMO. Also most teams tend to operate at shitty levels to begin with.

INB4 I get bullied.

-Pr-
Superman has fought teams of heralds before. Even in DCNU.

carver9
Can't see Superman taking on a team including Thor just like I can't see Thor taking on a team including Superman. It.ain't.happening.

Zack Fair
You're being too vague.

JakeTheBank
Given that magneto doesn't fights with his shield on most of the time, I've a hard time seeing him remain conscious for long.

He starts the fight with shields up, which have a great track record in of themselves. To that end, Erik can readily hurt or stagger Superman easier than vice versa. Not to say Superman can't eventually overwhelm or tax him, though.

Digi
Gotcha

Oh you.

dgrin

quanchi112
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Thor is a slowpoke. If Superman blitzes the shit out of fodder there is little Thor can do IMO. Also most teams tend to operate at shitty levels to begin with.

INB4 I get bullied. Incorrect. Thor has the reflexes needed to neutralize his speed advantage.

Zack Fair
Quiet.

Dazzler put up an illusion herself and then disappeared to take xavier's place. It was explicitly stated that he didn't manipulate her lights.
scans?

when did she cast the illusion? before or after the attack he redirected? even if it was before, wasn't the attack real? I'll redownlaod the comic and take another look at it.

I'm suggesting "he is fighting in character" which means, he is holding back just like every other hero high Herald does.

Magneto have the fts of being in the high herald class. magneto is at the edge of mid and high herald and can be used as seprator for these classes. still, most high heralds would beat him for majority.

Given that magneto doesn't fights with his shield on most of the time, I've a hard time seeing him remain conscious for long. he does actually, most of the time

Nibedicus
With all the power Magnetoa has, I've always wondered why he doesn't just create an armor made out of adamantium or, at the very least, vibranium. He could also use them as weapons if need be.

golem370
But in this thread he shields are already up so.

thumb up

even without exotic metals, his uniform is supposed to be a flexible alloy whose coherence and ellasticity are adjusted reflexively by his power, but even that is often forgotten by writers: wooden arrows have pierce his armor.

Nibedicus
I just find it silly, s'all. Half the time, he just uses readily available metal in the environment. If he was packing adamantium weapon/armor, he would be pretty damned near unstoppable.

which is why he doesnt do it. what's actually more absurd is that those metals can be found commercially on marvel earth. they're not even that rare.

Nibedicus
I know that, for story reasons, they wouldn't want an unstoppable mostly-villain character. But it just seems like SUCH a no-brainer. S'prolly why I never liked Magneto as a character, for all the brilliance in his characterization, he's just seemed to have missed a HUGE no-brainer. Everytime I see im in a comic, I go, whyyyy??

yaadaveyaa
could be arrogance? maybe thats his "flaw" he doesnt think he needs it

Nibedicus
That's how I justify it in my head, but it's still a bit much to swallow, IMO.

yaadaveyaa
u prob already hit the nail on the head if he does that what stops him? like friggin nothing

abhilegend
Originally posted by 753
he does actually, most of the time
I've seen him use his shield sporadically at best.

Nibedicus
Stips say "shields up", tho.

abhilegend
He starts the fight with shields up, which have a great track record in of themselves. To that end, Erik can readily hurt or stagger Superman easier than vice versa. Not to say Superman can't eventually overwhelm or tax him, though.
He doesn't start that way in most of his fights. Magneto's energy projection isn't sufficient to greatly hurt or stagger superman most of the time.

JakeTheBank
He doesn't start that way in most of his fights. Magneto's energy projection isn't sufficient to greatly hurt or stagger superman most of the time.

Which is a moot point as he starts the fight with shields up and Erik certainly can attack while being shielded at the same time. His energy projection is certainly up to the task of hurting Superman and because of the OP, Superman will be adversely effected by Magneto quicker than vice versa.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Nibedicus
Stips say "shields up", tho.
Okay. Scott breached magneto's shield in his very first appearance. Before somebody points out that it was a weaker magneto, that's false. When Moira Mactaggart examined magneto after Alpha reduced him to a child, she found out that the reason magneto was turned insane was because he was drawing too much power into himself.

Zack Fair
uh...

Raisen
Okay. Scott breached magneto's shield in his very first appearance. Before somebody points out that it was a weaker magneto, that's false. When Moira Mactaggart examined magneto after Alpha reduced him to a child, she found out that the reason magneto was turned insane was because he was drawing too much power into himself.

I don't know why but I hate you. I've noticed that most people on the forums hate you also. Can you explain why?

abhilegend
Which is a moot point as he starts the fight with shields up and Erik certainly can attack while being shielded at the same time. His energy projection is certainly up to the task of hurting Superman and because of the OP, Superman will be adversely effected by Magneto quicker than vice versa.
Ok. Superman wouldn't need more than a few punches to bust magneto's shield anyway.

JakeTheBank

erm

A young Scott breaching Magneto's shields once as opposed to his shields stopping entire teams of X-Men multiple times (including Scott) and other powerful beings doesn't amount to much here.

I'm not applying a no limits fallacy to Mags here, but using that instance as evidence is ridiculous, tbh.

abhilegend
erm

A young Scott breaching Magneto's shields once as opposed to his shields stopping entire teams of X-Men multiple times (including Scott) and other powerful beings doesn't amount to much here.

I'm not applying a no limits fallacy to Mags here, but using that instance as evidence is ridiculous, tbh.
His shields have been breached before. So saying that it can't be done by superman is ridiculous tbh.

Sh3nG L0nG
Originally posted by Raisen
I don't know why but I hate you. I've noticed that most people on the forums hate you also. Can you explain why?

I like abhi, I'm not part of the hate group. Happy Dance

JakeTheBank
His shields have been breached before. So saying that it can't be done by superman is ridiculous tbh.

I didn't say his shields couldn't be breached, now did I?

But using a rookie Scott Summers getting through his shields - which is easily an incredibly low showing for Magneto's shields - as evidence doesn't even make sense, especially when Magneto's shields have historically been >>> Cyclops' optic blasts to say nothing of Cyclops attacking with his fellow X-Men.

SevenShackles
Wait this says 'master of magnetism' soooo where is Dr.Polaris big grin

abhilegend
I didn't say his shields couldn't be breached, now did I?

But using a rookie Scott Summers getting through his shields - which is easily an incredibly low showing for Magneto's shields - as evidence doesn't even make sense, especially when Magneto's shields have historically been >>> Cyclops' optic blasts to say nothing of Cyclops attacking with his fellow X-Men.

Its a showing where magneto was more powerful than he is now as explained in X-Men v2 2. It may be a low showing but its still a valid one.

JakeTheBank
Its a showing where magneto was more powerful than he is now as explained in X-Men v2 2. It may be a low showing but its still a valid one.

So a Magneto more powerful than he is now had his shields breached by a young and relatively inexperienced Cyke....whereas weaker Magnetos have consistently been able to no sell optic blasts from a more experienced and battle savvy Cyke?

How does that even begin to make sense as a valid feat to argue breaching Magneto's shields?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>