Making the grade

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
so, being a teacher, i thought it would be fun to GRADE the more recent (last 5yrs or so?) big comic book events that have hit the magazine racks. things like chaos war, avx, skrull invasion, civil war, the war of the rings, dotng, etc....

just list the events you'd like and grade them. we talk a lot about them, and lots of people like or dislike them, but here's your chance to GRADE each event or events. might help some future kmc'ers to decide which events they should bother to read. try and stick to just the larger company events, and not individual comicbook arcs. we can maybe do that in a different thread.

so, have at it teachers! and happy holidays to all. smile

AlmightyKfish
If we're starting around when Civil War came out, I'd say the only two events that would be a firm A (imo) are Annihilation and Sinestro Corps War.

TheGodKiller
If we're grading this stuff then things like AvX, Fear Itself, Chaos War etc. would be at the bottom of the pile.

abhilegend
Final Crisis.

Sinestro Corps War

Annihilation

Blackest Night

Rest.

Crap

Shit

Cow-dung.

AvX

Chaos war.

Galan007
Yeah, events like SCW, Final Crisis, and Annihilation would be solid A's. Chaos War, AvX, and pretty much any other Marvel event since Annihilation, would get a firm F.

Most other events would be somewhere in between. I'd give Blackest Night, for instance, a B. War of the Rings would get a C, Countdown a D.

Newjak
Civil War was a C for me.

It had a great premise but it floundered in its execution at times.

Skrull Invasion gets a B- for me. While the main book wasn't great the tie-ins were a thing of beauty.

Annihilation gets an A for me as well a Final Crisis.

AvX and Cahos War were god aweful so they get Fs.

Bouboumaster
Originally posted by Newjak
Civil War was a C for me.

It had a great premise but it floundered in its execution at times.

I agree with this. Civil War was a GREAT idea. They had something big in their hands, but they messed up.

A+: Annithilation, Sinestro Corp
I'm not a DC fan, but I picked up Sinestrop Corp, because man, was it the shit?! Since then, I'm a GL fan. As for Annihilation, it was awesome. Just awesome.

A: Planet Hulk, Incredible Hercules, Final Crisis
Pak can write shitty stuff, but he knows how to write big boys, and his Hulk was, to me, the best Hulk ever written. And his Banner was a badass. As for Hercules, it was one of the funniest and constantly great run I've seen. Until he made Chaos War.

F (As in F*cking retarded): Chaos War, AvsX, OMD/BND/OMIT
Chaos War shat on Marvel Continuity, which is a crime to me, and it sucked. AvsX was "bad". And I mean, "bad". OMD/BND/OMIT was a monster created by Joe Quesada. I didn't read Spider-Man since then. That arc ruined it to me.

-Pr-
From what I've read:

Sinestro Corps - A+
Annihilation - A+
Blackest Night - B
Final Crisis - A-
Secret Invasion - C-
Civil War - C+
Brightest Day - C-
Planet Hulk - A+
WWH - D

AVX didn't show up because the shortbus broke down.

Philosophía
Excellent:
Final Crisis

Good:
Annihilation
Sinestro Corps War

Epic, but not really that good once you think about it:
Blackest Night
Civil War

Fail:
Flashpoint (the Superman/Batman parts almost put it in the epic category, but no)
Secret Invasion

Wait, what?:
World War Hulk
Siege
Fear Itself
Avengers vs. X-Men

The line between fail/wait what? is very thin, and the events within them are basically interchangeable.

Branlor Swift
SCW/Annihilation only things worth mentioning.

FC was slightly better than a really hard poop. Superman Beyond was amazing though. The Tie Ins really were the highlights.

Cogito
Parts of FC were awful...almost as bad as the likes of FI, AvX, and CW. Other parts were amazing. Overall, I don't see how it grades out as an A given the percentage of pure shit involved, especially when others like SCW and Annihilation were solid throughout.

Golgo13
Final Crisis TIE INS were better than the actual story. Overall, it was pretty good, along with Sinestro Corps, Blackest Night, and Annihilation.

Pass on Feat Itself, Secret Invasion. and AVX.

curryman
The Zenn La tie-in of Chaos War deserves a grade of it own.

leonidas
okay, so, what i want to know is: why all the avx hate? i'd read parts of it and followed the main story, but i just finished reading the entire collection and all the corollaries and, well, i enjoyed it. i've read some say marvel wrecked the phoenix. i disagree. some said they made it weak. i disagree. some say they wrecked cyclops--i never liked him much, but in any event, i disagree with that as well, or at least am willing to reserve judgement for a time. there were things i didn't like of course (illyana was a pain i thought and i think colossus has been handled....inelegantly? my LEAST favourite part revolved around the kun lun dragon and the pf and the idea that the dragon may have defeated the pf at some point--that WAS ademeaning....) but there were parts i really enjoyed as well (the avengers academy tie-ins were quite well handled, i thought and i really liked the interaction with broo and tony--i actually lol'd there). i thought most of the characterization was pretty good and pretty consistent, some good fights (as well as a couple that were NOT so great...)

in general, i liked it quite a bit. curious WHY so many people found it so awful.

btw i DO agree with y'all--chaos war sucked arse....

-Pr-
Originally posted by leonidas
okay, so, what i want to know is: why all the avx hate? i'd read parts of it and followed the main story, but i just finished reading the entire collection and all the corollaries and, well, i enjoyed it. i've read some say marvel wrecked the phoenix. i disagree. some said they made it weak. i disagree. some say they wrecked cyclops--i never liked him much, but in any event, i disagree with that as well, or at least am willing to reserve judgement for a time. there were things i didn't like of course (illyana was a pain i thought and i think colossus has been handled....inelegantly? my LEAST favourite part revolved around the kun lun dragon and the pf and the idea that the dragon may have defeated the pf at some point--that WAS ademeaning....) but there were parts i really enjoyed as well (the avengers academy tie-ins were quite well handled, i thought and i really liked the interaction with broo and tony--i actually lol'd there). i thought most of the characterization was pretty good and pretty consistent, some good fights (as well as a couple that were NOT so great...)

in general, i liked it quite a bit. curious WHY so many people found it so awful.

btw i DO agree with y'all--chaos war sucked arse....

no expression

For real?

Kazenji
"Shrugs"

AvX seemed fine to me.

leonidas
Originally posted by -Pr-
no expression

For real?

shrug

what'd you hate so much?

-Pr-
Originally posted by leonidas
shrug

what'd you hate so much?

Maybe it's because my three favourite Marvel characters are Cyclops, Colossus and Emma Frost, but seriously. Even talking about Cyclops alone, the character assassination performed on him reached it's peak in AVX. He's completely OOC, horribly written (as opposed to just being different), and in complete contradiction to 99% of his continuity.

Then they ruined the Emma/Scott dynamic (though that's been building up for a while).

The less said about Colossus, the better.

AVX in general was just full of bad writing and bad characterisation, imo.

leonidas
colossus was wrecked as soon as he became juggs imo. adding the pf made it worse, i agree--it COULD have been a good way to get RID of the cyttorak thing, but.....

i thought emma was...emma, throughout. like i said, i never liked cyke, but i thought his ideals stayed intact. the difference in ideology is something i really liked about avx. scott genuinely did what he thought was right AND was proven correct. so were the avengers of course, but scott's character was magnified by the pf, so i don't see anything he did while under the pf's influence as being directly reflective of his character, but rather the worst parts of it only, or his ideals taken to the extreme. and i think that was what was meant to come across. i think he will ultimately be redeemed anyway, much like hal.

it's cool you didn't like it--i'm not trying to convince you otherwise lol just there was so much hatred for the arc i was surprised and honestly curious about some of the reasons. to each their own. smile

-Pr-
I'm not talking about Cyclops as Phoenix per se, more of how he was represented when he was without the Phoenix power. His interactions with Cap, for example.

And the "rinse and repeat" nature of bringing up Jean YET AGAIN, even though he had been over her for years now.

leonidas
Originally posted by -Pr-
I'm not talking about Cyclops as Phoenix per se, more of how he was represented when he was without the Phoenix power. His interactions with Cap, for example.

And the "rinse and repeat" nature of bringing up Jean YET AGAIN, even though he had been over her for years now.

really? i thought his interaction with cap was pretty solid. i actually liked that he called out cap for having kept his nose out of the mutant issue (and i like that cap agreed he'd be lax in the area of helping, even though it was clearly marvel's decree the x-verse be at times an almost separate entity from the rest of the MU). scott didn't back down. i thought both were depicted well.

i agree the jean issue WAS over-played, but i didn't mind so much because the phoenix and the situation almost mandated it be brought up. had jean NOT been a large-ish factor in scott's (and logan's and the others') minds, i would have found that disingenuous, if you get my meaning.

we can leave it at that. like i said, i was genuinely curious about the hate and would love to hear why others were so down on it--especially those who weren't huge x-men fans to begin with.

curryman
The characterization in AvX wasn't enough to turn people off?

basilisk
Annihilation - A+
Annihilation Conquest - B+
Thanos Imperative - B-
Sinestro Corps War - A
War of Kings - B+
Planet Hulk - B+
World War Hulk - C+. Decent but too much CIS/PIS for Hulk's benefit.

Final Crisis - B. Extremely mixed. One moment I liked it the next I hated it.

Nothing really terrible but couldn't work up any enthusiam for these at all:
Brightest Day - C-
Flashpoint - C-

Chaos War - A++ this was more cosmic than Infinity Gauntlet

I felt like these had a decent premise, some interesting villains, even started out OK or had some good tie-ins or individual chapters. But they largely failed on the execution and especially the endings:
Siege - D
Fear Itself - D
Civil War - C
Secret Invasion - C-
Blackest Night - D. Started out OK but went nowhere fast.

AvX - D-. Weak.

OMD/BND/OMIT - F-

curryman
This is all that I can think of.

Annihilation - A
Planet Hulk - B
Necrosha - B (We got to see so many of the wonderful C and D-listers)
Annihilation Conquest - C+
House of M - C+
Messiah Complex - C+
Thanos Imperative - C
War of Kings - C
Civil War - C
Utopia - D
Chaos War - D
Siege - E
Fear Itself - E
Secret Invasion - E
AVX - F
World War Hulk - F (I've notified your parents and they're on their way)

52 - A
Final Crisis - A
Sinestro Corps War - A
Infinite Crisis - B
Identity Crisis - C (Kinda torn on this one, kinda liked it actually)
Blackest Night - C
Brightest Day - C
One Year Later - C
Amazons Attack - E
Countdown - F (See me after class)

leonidas
Originally posted by curryman
The characterization in AvX wasn't enough to turn people off?

not me, at least. what character was so egregiously portrayed iyo, that it wrecked the arc? i guess i can see the cyclops issue (though i don't agree with it) but who else was so badly characterized?

btw nice exhaustive list. thumb up

Mindship
Silver Surfer: Requiem

Solid story of how one of comicdom's most powerful, unique and noblest characters approaches His End. Full of wonderful, uplifting values, if at times getting a wee bit too close to spiritual overkill. At his funeral, I half expected a music chip to play Lennon's "Imagine". Grade: A

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.