The Dwarves (The Hobbit) vs The Fellowship of the Ring (LOTR)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Newjak
During their respective visits to Rivendal a time paradox happens that cause both groups to get magically transported to Goblintown. The town is completely devoid of life now. The characters have a spell that has been put on their eyes that make them see the other group as Goblins and Orcs and they can not understand each other.

Obviously they don't hesitate and begin to fight. Gandolf being magical himself was able to resist the effect and is not in the fight but he and everyone else is powerless to oppose the time paradox effect.

Team Dwarves:
Thorin
Bifur
Bombur
Gloin
Dori
Balin
Oin
Nori
Bofur
Dwalin
Fili
Kili
Ori
Bilbo Baggins

Team Fellowship:
Aragorn
Legolas
Gimli
Boromir
Frodo
Sam
Merry
Pippin

If this seems unfair we'll say Faramir was there and no one noticed and got sucked in to. If it's still not fair we shall add the fat elf that gets killed in the two towers(I can't remember his name), Theoden, Eowyn, Eomer, Arwen(Not allowed to use Magic).

the ninjak
Heh...I was thinking about making this thread soon too.

I think the Fellowship would own this though. The Dwarves ran from an Orc patrol.
The Fellowship would've just faced them. Aragorn took on a whole small army of em alone!

Maybe it's just plot development and the Dwarves will become my hardcore in the later films as they gain more confidence in their abiltities. But Aragorn, Legolas and Boromir will kickass.

Clever OP using the spell though smile

Newjak
Originally posted by the ninjak
Heh...I was thinkong about making this thread soon too.

I think the Fellowship would own this though. The Dwarves ran from an Orc patrol.
The Fellowship would've just faced them. Aragorn took on a whole small army of em alone!

Maybe it's just plot development and the Dwarves will become my hardcore in the later films as they gain more confidence in their abiltities. But Aragorn, Legolas and Boromir will kickass....I question whether Gimli will just swap sides! Haha beat you to it stick out tongue

The Orc Patrol had a large number of Worgs in it that the Dwarves faces down and they did kill quite a few of them, and the only time the Fellowship ran across a Worg Scouting party was on the way to Helm's deep and they had a lot of help around them, including people on horses.

Edit: I just saw your edit yup I thought the spell would help with switching sides.

the ninjak
Thing is the Dwarves have mad skills. The way they bounced those plates around Bilbo's house shows they are masters in processing skills.

The attack on the Goblins was truth in that. It was almost a comedy sketch in how they escaped their hordes. They may be short be they work together tactically almost like they have a hive mind.

This will work in their favor compared to the Fellowship...who were never truly a working unit, but just just a bunch of professionals doing what they did.

Legolas vs Kili isn't much of of stretch. The Dwarves may have the insane skills but a high-end Elf like Legolas will always be a better archer.
Kili was deflecting arrows with his sword for a whiles.......

I wonder if Legolas will be useless in this fight?

Newjak
I agree the Dwarven teamwork was crazy and so seamless. It's one of the reasons why I thought this could be an extremely unfair match cause how well they did with it.

I would also use the Trolls as a good example. The dwarves seemed to be man handling the 3 Trolls to the point the Trolls got desperate enough to hold Bilbo hostage.

Legolas vs Kili is interesting. He did look very good with his archery skills obviously Legolas is better but Kili was no slouch. Plus there was the dwarf with the slingshot that was pretty accurate as well as the fact the one dwarf managed to kill a worg with a throwing axe easily.

Plus I remember that one dwarf catching a fork thrown at him by Kili when his back was turned with ease.

the ninjak
I'm starting to think this may be a stomp in favor of the Dwarves.

The slingshot attack by Ori was insane in regards to accuracy. An arrow is one thing but a sling...damn!
If it hit an elf or human than it would've knocked em to the ground. The Worgs had hard heads and the Dwarves (in regards to the head-butt scene) show the fact that their heads are very tough.

With the Dwarve's ability to stand formation so quickly plus the fact that they bounce kitchen plates with ease leaves me to believe that Legolas' arrows will be next to useless and the rest of the team will be forced to enter their sphere of influence at a massive disadvantage.

Flyattractor
Team Fellowship for the win. Those guys had Hercules TV show style fighting skills.

the ninjak
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Team Fellowship for the win. Those guys had Hercules TV show style fighting skills.

I doubt they had his strength and ability to catch daggers/swords in his hands.
They were both New Zealand production shows, but I would never give the Fellowship Herculean feats.

Hercules was on another level. And yet on on a entirely lower realistic level.

Robtard
Fellowship wins. Aragorn and Legolas might be the only ones that survive though.

KingD19
Do both Frodo and Bilbo have a "One Ring"?

Because either of them could use it to devastating effect.

ares834
Dwarves win easily. There are far more of them and all are incredibly skilled.

Newjak
Originally posted by KingD19
Do both Frodo and Bilbo have a "One Ring"?

Because either of them could use it to devastating effect. Whoops forgot to mention that, no rings for either Hobbit stick out tongue

KingD19
I saw the Dwarves take it. At least half the Fellowship is essentially worthless, with Boromir being the least skilled of the four who are actually worth anything.

And the Dwarves can actually triple team all of the important fighters from the Fellowship. Those guys are good, but against odds like this they fold.

FrothByte
The Dwarves are too many. With just the original Fellowship, all of the hobbits probably die (with Bilbo included). That will leave the fellowship with 4 vs. 13. Still, I'd say that Aragorn, Boromir and Legolas can take on 2 dwarves at the same time, maybe even 3 at the same time. Not many of the dwarves showed that great fighting skills. Only Thorin and a few of the others, but the rest were more of a comedy relief relying more on a lot of luck than skill (just like Gimli).

Still, it'd be a close fight. I'd still put my money of the Fellowship though. I just can't see these dwarves laying a hand on Aragorn and especially not on Legolas.

The Dwarves team work may not mean that much here as they didn't display that great teamwork against multiple opponents. Only against the trolls who were big, stupid, and slow. Besides, Aragorn, GImli and Legolas are pretty used to fighting together.

-kV-
Out of the 13, the best fighters seem to be Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Fili, Kili, and Oin (I think).

Aragorn is arguably the best mortal warrior in the Third Age. He drove off 5 Nazgul, including the Witch King. Boromir is on par with Aragorn. How many Uruk-Hai (the strongest breed of Orc) did Boromir slay at Amon Hen. Gimli seems just as good as the other Dwarves mentioned above, except for Thorin. And Legolas is just a beast.

The Dwarves are very in sync, but I think Legolas could take out Kili and kill several of them from the beginning. Aragorn could probably duel Thorin and one more Dwarf, and Boromir could take on 2 or 3 at once. Gimli could engage in at least one as well.

It's hard imagining the Dwarves losing this due to their sheer numbers and their in-sync ability. At the same time, it's hard imagining a team of Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli/Boromir ever getting overwhelmed.

I say Fellowship for now, but this could go either way.

Flyattractor
I doubt they had his strength and ability to catch daggers/swords in his hands.
They were both New Zealand production shows, but I would never give the Fellowship Herculean feats.

Hercules was on another level. And yet on on a entirely lower realistic level. I mean the SKILLS not the feats as in strenght and what not. Pretty much everyone that crew could take on and defeat about 20 orcs at a time. Even the 2 dumb hobbits were taking out several orcs at a time. Even the big bad Oruck High ones.

Pwned
I agree, the Fellowship is just too much right now. Legolas would be snap firing arrows so quickly they couldn't block them. Don't forget he has good melee skills as well.

I would also like to point out how (apart from Boromir) the Three Hunters were never wounded. Ever. Not through Helms Deep, not through Minas Tirith, not through the Black Gate, never. That is FAR more than the Company have been through.

the ninjak
Originally posted by Pwned
I agree, the Fellowship is just too much right now. Legolas would be snap firing arrows so quickly they couldn't block them. Don't forget he has good melee skills as well.

I would also like to point out how (apart from Boromir) the Three Hunters were never wounded. Ever. Not through Helms Deep, not through Minas Tirith, not through the Black Gate, never. That is FAR more than the Company have been through.

You don't think a group of warriors who could bounce plates around a living room couldn't deflect arrows with ease?

Kili did it multiple times.

Robtard
Comparing Legolas to an ork bowman, even 10 ork bowmen is a massive undersell of the elf. His speed and skill with a bow is beyond anything the dwarves faced in An Unexpected Journey. He's also a killing machine with his twin long knives.

Just look at the scene where he solos a war mumakil and crew.

ares834
People are severally underestimating the dwarves here.

A duel between Aragorn and Thorin would be one for the ages.

Robtard
Don't think anyone has said the dwarves lose in a stomp, just that they'll lose in the end with one or more of the LoTR crew surviving.

the ninjak
Originally posted by Robtard
Comparing Legolas to an ork bowman, even 10 ork bowmen is a massive undersell of the elf. His speed and skill with a bow is beyond anything the dwarves faced in An Unexpected Journey. He's also a killing machine with his twin long knives.

Just look at the scene where he solos a war mumakil and crew.

Arrows are arrows. Orcs and Urakai proved to be quite dumb. Besides their warlord who killed Boromir.

Robtard
Arrows are arrows. Orcs and Urakai proved to be quite dumb.

No, they aren't, especially when fired from more powerful bows and more skilled bowmen.

Remember the scene when the Fellowship was fleeing from the Balrog, even though the goblins had the high ground, their arrows were skittering harmlessly due the the extreme range, while Legolas had no problem firing back and drilling them.

Dwarf blocking an ork arrow isn't comparable to him doing it to Legolas' fire on a 1-per-1 basis, as people are implying.

ares834
Nah. The Fellowship was in range of their arrows during that scene. The goblins were just missing. Afterall, when we see them they are aiming downwards and all they would need to do it lift the bow up to get more range. Despite that, Legolas' bow is likely more powerful than the orc's.

Newjak
Originally posted by Robtard
No, they aren't, especially when fired from more powerful bows and more skilled bowmen.

Remember the scene when the Fellowship was fleeing from the Balrog, even though the goblins had the high ground, their arrows were skittering harmlessly due the the extreme range, while Legolas had no problem firing back and drilling them.

Dwarf blocking an ork arrow isn't comparable to him doing it to Legolas' fire on a 1-per-1 basis, as people are implying. It still shows extreme skill, in fact Aragorn deflecting a knife thrown at him by that one Uru-Kai is one of his better reaction feats possibly his best. Deflecting arrows is harder than even that.

Originally posted by -kV-
Out of the 13, the best fighters seem to be Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Fili, Kili, and Oin (I think).

Aragorn is arguably the best mortal warrior in the Third Age. He drove off 5 Nazgul, including the Witch King. Boromir is on par with Aragorn. How many Uruk-Hai (the strongest breed of Orc) did Boromir slay at Amon Hen. Gimli seems just as good as the other Dwarves mentioned above, except for Thorin. And Legolas is just a beast.

The Dwarves are very in sync, but I think Legolas could take out Kili and kill several of them from the beginning. Aragorn could probably duel Thorin and one more Dwarf, and Boromir could take on 2 or 3 at once. Gimli could engage in at least one as well.

It's hard imagining the Dwarves losing this due to their sheer numbers and their in-sync ability. At the same time, it's hard imagining a team of Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli/Boromir ever getting overwhelmed.

I say Fellowship for now, but this could go either way. at least half the Dwarves so some kind of fighting ability imo. They all show pretty good reflexes and skill with the dish scene which was just crazy.

Also just for a little fun. I just thought of this but technically that band of Dwarves were able to sneak out Rivendal without any Elves noticing it. That's got to be like the best sneaking feat in all of the Series stick out tongue

Lord Lucien
Legolas solos. He's better than everything ever.

FrothByte
You don't think a group of warriors who could bounce plates around a living room couldn't deflect arrows with ease?

Kili did it multiple times.

Modern day jugglers can bounce around plates, doesn't mean they can catch arrows.

As an above poster pointed out, none of the Three hunters were ever, ever wounded in the entire 3 movies of LOTR. Whereas in just 1 movie of the Hobbit, the dwarves were pounded, caught, and wounded. Even Thorin got the crap beat out of him by that albino Orc. Legolas would have made short work of that Orc even on his warg.

Newjak
Originally posted by FrothByte
Modern day jugglers can bounce around plates, doesn't mean they can catch arrows.

As an above poster pointed out, none of the Three hunters were ever, ever wounded in the entire 3 movies of LOTR. Whereas in just 1 movie of the Hobbit, the dwarves were pounded, caught, and wounded. Even Thorin got the crap beat out of him by that albino Orc. Legolas would have made short work of that Orc even on his warg.
Show me modern day Jugglers doing what the dwarves did then I'll agree to that first statement.

Aragorn had trouble with the one Worg Rider.

White Orc and White Worg bigger and badder than that Worg Rider Orc stick out tongue

Gimili was about to die from two worgs.

The Fellowship was having trouble with any troll they ran across.

The dwarves were practically manhandling 3 Trolls and would have won had it not been for them using Bilbo to make them drop their weapons.

So what I'm trying to say is that the Fellowship wasn't as untouchable as you make them sound.
stick out tongue

FrothByte
Originally posted by Newjak
Show me modern day Jugglers doing what the dwarves did then I'll agree to that first statement.

Aragorn had trouble with the one Worg Rider.

White Orc and White Worg bigger and badder than that Worg Rider Orc stick out tongue

Gimili was about to die from two worgs.

The Fellowship was having trouble with any troll they ran across.

The dwarves were practically manhandling 3 Trolls and would have won had it not been for them using Bilbo to make them drop their weapons.

So what I'm trying to say is that the Fellowship wasn't as untouchable as you make them sound.
stick out tongue

There is no juggler, modern day or otherwise, that can replicate the feats of 13 men (dwarfs). However, a juggler can juggle plates and pans and flaming axes easily. Now if you could get 13 jugglers together, I'm sure they can manage plates decently.

Besides, the point here is, juggling plates is not the same as catching arrows. Plates don't travel at the same velocity, nor have the same aerodynamics.

Secondly, I didn't say Aragorn would handle that warg riding troll. I said it was Legolas who would do it. As for Aragorn having trouble with a warg rider, that was in the middle of a battle where Aragorn and his troup were seriously outnumbered. Thorin on the other hand charged that big albino Orc one on one. I never saw Aragorn, Legolas, or GImli take such a beathing as Thorin did when fighting one on one.... and Thorin was already supposed to be the best fighter among the dwarfs.

No, the three hunters are not exactly untouchable, well at least not Aragorn and Gimli (Legolas has yet to be hit by anything), but the point I'm trying to make is that they got hit way way less in 3 movies than the 13 dwarfs did in 1 long movie where not much action took place.

Newjak
You're right plates aren't arrows but what the dwarves did takes an extreme amount of skill, also the one dwarf in the that scene caught a knife or fork thrown straight at his head from behind. Also Thorin was casually bouncing plates behind him without any worry of breaking dishes, and they were doing it from room to room.

Aragorn vs the Troll in the final Charge got beat up pretty bad one on one,

The Fellowship vs the Cave Troll in Moira was not an easy fight.

Aragorn vs the Major Uru-Kai. The monster pinned Aragorn's head to a tree and almost cut it off.

Also Aragorn and his people were not that outnumbered against the wargs in that scene as they had the men on Rohan with them and had horses. In fact I'm not really sure they were outnumbered at all.

Gimili got caught underneath one Warg while the 13 dwarves killed many without the aid of horses or arrows.

Even Legolas took to Horse when the Wargs got remotely close to him.

So don't make it sound like the 3 hunters walked through everything or that it was easy breezy for them.

Plus you make it sound like the Dwarves got murdered all the time without making note of some specific things. The dwarves were never backed by any sizable force when they directly engaged foes like the Fellowship. It was normally them against forces similar to the Fellowship without the aid of Rohan or Gondor backing them up or a Ghost army. It was just 13 dwarves vs everything. Yet the only times they really got beaten were when they were taken by surprise or they were extremely outnumbered even more so then the Fellowship had to deal with or Bilbo got taken prisoner.

If you put the Fellowship in similar situations they would probably have ended up in similar positions as the Dwarves.

Darth Martin
Spite.

elrond72
Aragorn takes out Uruk-Hai like there was no tomorrow and like was said before manages to force back 5 Nazgul . The Trolls that were in the hobbit were dim-witted and slow unlike the armoured troll that was in ROTK. The company placed in the same circumstances as the fellowship would not fare as well and the plate juggling in the hobbit is meant for a bit of comic relief as the original is a childrens book. No, the fellowship takes this one. Anyone who disagrees imagine the company facing 5 Nazgul. What do you think would happen, really?

quanchi112
Interesting matchup.

NotAllThatEvil
Boromir was the only fighter in the fellowship to go down, and it took three arrows and about twenty "special" orks to do it. The company was in trouble with only about 15 regular orks. Legolas and gimly could probably take halve the dwarves by themselves.

the ninjak
After everything I've read the Dwarves win this.

And we still have 2 films to go. This is going to be a heavily bumped thread.

Dolos
Between Aragorn and Legalos the Dwarves get their shit pushed in.

Dolos
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Legolas solos.

The fellowship gets BOROMIR too!? It's over.

elrond72
After everything I've read the Dwarves win this.

And we still have 2 films to go. This is going to be a heavily bumped thread.

Aragorn alone faces and beats off 5 Nazgul (including the witch king) and all the others included in the rings team and you still think the dwarves win? LOL bless! laughing

whatdoucare
The fellowship would win

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.