Double Bladed Saber vs. Two Shoto (Short Saber)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

L30nidas
These are my two favorite types of saber (both purple of course) and I would be interested to see what people think of them.

Q99
I've actually got some training with the non-light versions of both of these ^^

A double-bladed saber wields a lot like a staff, so it possesses more power, leverage, and reach. Though unlike a true staff, one can't shift the grip as much to maximize these factors. It's a pretty powerful weapon, and also good at fending off multiple foes. Good defense.

Two short sabers, on the other hand, are wielded much in the way paired swords normally are. Either allowing one to deliver blows in succession, or one to block simultaneous with a strike with the other. They do, however, lack as much power in the strikes as each is only held one-handed. Due to shorter reach, closing distance is more important with them, but once closed they have the edge. Pretty good at a single foe, though what a lot of people don't realize is even with two weapons a person only has one focus, and in a sense it's more like wielding one weapon in two parts.

I, personally, prefer two paired weapons, though in a direct fight the long hilt and long reach of the double-bladed saber gives it a pretty good advantage. If I had the double-bladed saber, I'd be half tempted to turn off the other end and simply use it as a long-handled two handed single saber against a single foe, as it gives more options with the one blade and I'm more used to it (though alternating strong strikes between left/right and high/low is pretty useful).

L30nidas
Originally posted by Q99
I've actually got some training with the non-light versions of both of these ^^

I pretty much agree with you. What training do you have? I do Wushu, where we also use staffs (staves ?) and have swords and stuff.

Q99
Originally posted by L30nidas
I pretty much agree with you. What training do you have? I do Wushu, where we also use staffs (staves ?) and have swords and stuff.

Kung Fu, mostly northern shaolin.

juyomaster34
It depends...
Personally,purple blades...Doubled bladed Saber (1st)..Why?
My Double bladed Saber would either split into two Sabers or My Single hilt would actually be
a Double bladed Saber.

Either choice would bring the element of surprise to my opponents.
Trakata is much more easier to execute with either Saber.

The Shoto would be for worthy opponents,close range fighting is all I see for this Saber.
That and defending against other light sabers and light whips.

juyomaster34
Good thread a see alot of debating on this one.
I studied American Tae Kwon Do and Songahm Tae Kwon Do.
I would love to learn Wing Chun and Jeet Kune Do.
We have no one here in TN who teaches either one.

Mizukage Yoda
Two-shotos definately, I find the doublebladed saber though deadly when mastered is just not as maneuverable as the shotos.

jmoul
I actually have also trained with a bo staff (double-bladed saber) and escirma sticks (shotos) in my Okinawan Karate classes. The bo is, in fact, more effective, since it offers more reach and it triples the radius of defense one can have compared to the escrimas. While both weapons hurt like a mother****er when you get hit, the bo hurts a hell of a lot more than the escrimas do, because the lever is that much longer and takes a third of the energy to generate as much force as the escrimas do. Also, the bo can still be effective in close proximity, so all-in-all, the bo, or the double bladed saber, is much stronger than the two shoto.

Q99
Originally posted by jmoul
I actually have also trained with a bo staff (double-bladed saber) and escirma sticks (shotos) in my Okinawan Karate classes. The bo is, in fact, more effective, since it offers more reach and it triples the radius of defense one can have compared to the escrimas. While both weapons hurt like a mother****er when you get hit, the bo hurts a hell of a lot more than the escrimas do, because the lever is that much longer and takes a third of the energy to generate as much force as the escrimas do. Also, the bo can still be effective in close proximity, so all-in-all, the bo, or the double bladed saber, is much stronger than the two shoto.

Leverage is a lot better on a bo than a double-bladed, though, since you can effectively only use the middle for grip. (example/example)

IMO, better than a double-bladed, would be a very long-hilted, long bladed single saber of staff length, like Nihl's
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090602212538/starwars/images/3/3a/Darth_Nihl_LECG.jpg

Or Darth Chratis's.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.