Question about particles

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lestov16
Can all fermions and bosons be described as bradyons and luxons? Isn't the higgs boson (and hypothetical graviton) a luxon (and of course photons and gluons are), whereas all fermions (quarks and leptons), and W/Z bosons are bradyons? Can all particles in nature that we know be categorized as bradyons and luxons?

Symmetric Chaos
Yes, you can categorize things like that. We don't most of the time because we have more useful categories than "massive" and "massless."

Lestov16
What would happen if a boson had an integer spin of 3?

Symmetric Chaos
The phrase "integer spin" doesn't refer to a kind of spin but a property of that spin, in this case that it is described with an integer (a whole number). That is: Bosons do not have "integer spin" they have spin but only in integer values.

As far as I know spin doesn't predict much about a particle. As a boson it would obey Bose-Einstein statistics but that's about it.

Lestov16
I understand that. It's just that Higgs bosons have a spin of 0. Gluons and Photons have a spin of 1. And (hypothetical) gravitons have a spin of 2. What would a particle with a spin of 3 be like?

Symmetric Chaos
To my knowledge, no one has any idea. Spin is just angular momentum. Spin 3 just means it has a very large amount of intrinsic angular momentum (or rather a very large amount of something that might or might not be angular momentum but is easier to think about as angular momentum). There are a lot of other things that go into defining the properties of the particle. Mass tells lets you estimate how stable it will be. Charge tells you how it will act in electric and magnetic fields. It would probably also be different if the particle in question is composite or elementary.

Asking "What would a spin 3 particle be like?" seems like asking "What would a red car be like?" It would be red and it would be a car.

Lestov16
I mean how would it influence nature? Higgs bosons are spin-0 bosons, and thus scalar tensors. Photons, gluons, and W/Z bosons are spin-1, and thus vector tensors. Gravitons are (hypothesized to be) spin-2 bosons, and thus caused by stress-energy (rank-2) tensors. If a particle was a spin-3 boson, what would be the rank-3 tensor that causes it?

Symmetric Chaos
I'm not familiar enough with tensors or quantum mechanics to answer that question. Are there any rank 3 tensors to relate it to? If there aren't any then perhaps there can't be a such a particle since there would be no corresponding field.

Lestov16
Good. Something I can bend to fit my fictional whims smile

Mindship
Originally posted by Lestov16
Good. Something I can bend to fit my fictional whims smile I knew there was a story percolating in there somewhere. smile

Sometimes I find perusing the science/tech stuff at the "Orion's Arm" website useful, though lately I've been relying more on Clarke's Third Law to get by. It forces me to focus on character development, which is the real deal maker.

Astner
I understand that. It's just that Higgs bosons have a spin of 0. Gluons and Photons have a spin of 1. And (hypothetical) gravitons have a spin of 2. What would a particle with a spin of 3 be like?
Then they would behave differently than particles that don't have a spin of three in a particle field.

I mean how would it influence nature? Higgs bosons are spin-0 bosons, and thus scalar tensors. Photons, gluons, and W/Z bosons are spin-1, and thus vector tensors. Gravitons are (hypothesized to be) spin-2 bosons, and thus caused by stress-energy (rank-2) tensors. If a particle was a spin-3 boson, what would be the rank-3 tensor that causes it?
I'm not exactly sure what you're after, but a spin-3 boson would interact with 1/2-, 1-, and 3/2-spin fermions.

Lestov16
I see.

What spin would a boson have to have in order to interact with Spin-2, Spin-1, and Spin-0 bosons and all half-spin fermions? Would it have to be a spin-4? A spin-10? Or conversely, would it have to be a spin-0, like the Higgs?

Astner

Mindset
Particles aren't real anyway.

Lord Lucien
Quantum mechanics is just something the Illuminati aliens told everybody so they could control Earth's supply of gold and bring about a New World Order.

Lestov16
Originally posted by Astner

If it's important to you then I could give it a try.

I would really appreciate it. Thank you. smile

(if it isn't too much of a bother)

Lestov16

I'm not exactly sure what you're after, but a spin-3 boson would interact with 1/2-,
All fermions (quarks,leptons)

1-,
Gauge bosons (photons, gluons, w/z bosons)

and 3/2-spin fermions.
?

Anyways, if a Spin 3 bosons can interact with 3/2-spin particles, then can a Spin-4 interact with 4/2-spin=Spin-2 particles (gravitons)?

Also can no particle with n>0 integer spin interact with Spin-0 scalar bosons (Higgs bosons)?

Dolos
Originally posted by Mindset
Particles aren't real anyway.

I got sum in mah eyeballz.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.