Superman stays at Warner and DC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WanderingDroid
Late this week this sweet sauce news was announce:

F_cken Epic Win News for both DC and Warner Bros. Superman stays with them.

http://news.yahoo.com/warner-wins-legal-victory-control-004235586.html;_ylt=A2KJjanOmPFQrVYAtSzQtDMD

So happy...can you imagine the family taking over? They would sell Superman To Disney....brrr!!! just the thought sickens me.

All Hail DC and Warner!

(p.s. Pr you should keep up with this news! This is your forum now I pass it on to you. Don't me come down there to Canuck land and spank you!)

-Pr-
We were actually talking about this already in another thread. shrug

WanderingDroid
Got it...I let you off this time.....this time...

abhilegend
http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/warner-bros-wins-last-piece-of-superman-copyright-case/

http://www-deadline-com.vimg.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/superman-warner-bros-ninth-circuit__131121205558.pdf

Its finally over.

roughrider
I don't know what to feel about it. We've all seen DC & Marvel - like any major corporation - get very ruthless in defending what they believe to be their property, and some creators bemoan their rights constantly and go as far as quit working for the big two altogether, like Alan Moore. Is it justice? We never know the whole story.

This was special because Superman is a hugely significant property with a long history, unlike cult characters like Miracleman and Angela. He was still going to get published, no matter if he left the DC Universe.

cdtm
Originally posted by roughrider
I don't know what to feel about it. We've all seen DC & Marvel - like any major corporation - get very ruthless in defending what they believe to be their property, and some creators bemoan their rights constantly and go as far as quit working for the big two altogether, like Alan Moore. Is it justice? We never know the whole story.

This was special because Superman is a hugely significant property with a long history, unlike cult characters like Miracleman and Angela. He was still going to get published, no matter if he left the DC Universe.

Stating the obvious, money is god.

They don't think they own their property, they usually DO own it. Creatives sell it to them, for a chance of making it big (Plus to pay the bills.)

In a perfect world, creatives would be the primary beneficiaries of their own ideas, but they're not, because they need to eat. (And I'm not lecturing here... This is a fact of life I'm not exactly too happy with, but it is reality..)

Rao Kal El
Yep! There is people who is creative and then there is people who knows how to make money.

If the creative person does not want anyone involved in his intellectual property, then the person has to take the long tedious road of trial and error in business.

Like Mc-Farland did with Spawn

roughrider
Marvel recently finished off with Mike Friedrich, saying they owe him nothing more for co-creating Ghost Rider in the 1970's. Other than that, they had to waive off the relatives of Jack Kirby on occasion, and the last decade even had to deal with Stan Lee! ( At the prodding of Howard Stern, he launched what was called 'the nicest lawsuit in the world.') Len Wein, who created Wolverine the 1970's, once said of getting thanked & his hand shook by Hugh Jackman at the X-Men movie premiere - "I'd would've preferred he gave me a cheque." Ouch.

But for the most part, Marvel has handled the creator ownership problem by first creating Epic Comics in the 1980's, then Icon Comics after that. And we know the creators own them, because several properties - Dreadstar, Alien Legion, Marshal Law - have been published by other companies without any lawsuits. That's one thing I've never seen out of DC/Vertigo comics - the freedom to take the property elsewhere, somewhere down the line. DC seems to own it. Has anyone ever seen it happen there?

-Pr-
Wasn't Image started because a bunch of creators got mad at Marvel for not letting them own their own stuff?

They're not exactly saints in that department, imo.

roughrider
Originally posted by -Pr-
Wasn't Image started because a bunch of creators got mad at Marvel for not letting them own their own stuff?

They're not exactly saints in that department, imo.

Yes, true. And only Todd McFarlane has stayed with the company, with all the other creators - Jim Lee, Rob Liefeld, Erik Larsen, Marc Silvestri - having drifted back to the big two. Ironically, McFarlane found himself playing evil corporation in court, fighting Neil Gaiman over ownership of Angela. (Plus, he was dumb enough to spend millions on Mark McGwire's home run ball from 1998... stick out tongue )

Mike Mignola has true independence, as well. Once he created Hellboy for Dark Horse, he's never had to return to the big two. And there's been two movies, compared to one for McFarlane's Spawn.

Flyattractor
At this point the only way this story would read would be "Family threatens to take back to Superman Franchise....Family mysteriously disappears ...WB has no comment"

panthergod
F*ck DC Comics.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.