J.J. Abrams Set to Direct Next 'Star Wars' Film...?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dark Exile
Reported from the Wrap.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/jj-abrams-set-direct-next-star-wars-film-exclusive-74596

Lens flares, Lens Flares everywhere!

JediRobin23
That it just sad. I'm not watching it

focus4chumps
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/204/314/1321928682926.jpg

JediRobin23
what dont they just make star wars = star trek and have the enterprise battle a imperial star destroyer in Ep 7. Although, the star destroyer would blow the enterprise out of the water

Robtard
Originally posted by JediRobin23
Although, the star destroyer would blow the enterprise out of the water

LoL, no.

LanceWindu
That it just sad. I'm not watching it

Ye of little faith.

Care to explain what you think is so bad about this?

darthmaul1
I loved all 6 films and empire was the best cause lucas passed off the directing and writing to others, so this does have potential, Abrams is a good director, but sometimes his ideas fall flat, like Alcatraz.
but i'm excited to see the first trailer in about 20 months.

focus4chumps
what dont they just make star wars = star trek and have the enterprise battle a imperial star destroyer in Ep 7. Although, the star destroyer would blow the enterprise out of the water

are you sure? wink

vFCBwob65Nw

BruceSkywalker
looking forward to this

JediRobin23
wow, sounds like too many trekkies here.

I'm leaving

~JP~
SEE YA!

I am on board with Abrams as director.

OB1-adobe
I'm still getting used to the fact there is more movies coming

Kazenji
Hopefully better quality then the last 3 from Lucas.

dadudemon
lol

Abrams....K.

But....this confirms that we are going to cross streams, for sure.

The anti-Star Wars Trekkie fans are going to shit themselves. Now it is no longer "Star Trek" vs "Star Wars". It will be both.

Gambler
Originally posted by focus4chumps
are you sure? wink

vFCBwob65Nw

With the galactic history of 25 000 thousand years + experience of countless intergalactic total wars, I don't believe SW latest era battle ships would struggle that much against beginners of Galactic exploration.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Gambler
With the galactic history of 25 000 thousand years + experience of countless intergalactic total wars, I don't believe SW latest era battle ships would struggle that much against beginners of Galactic exploration. Funny how all that experience still only produces commanders who send 5 ships out to defend their moon station, admirals who jump too close to their target, and state-of-the-art warships whose shield generators are on the outside of the shield.

focus4chumps
they even collided star destroyers chasing after solo/leia. the empire without the sith is a big band of retards with expensive toys. sorry.

FistOfThe North
jj should make rankors as big as his cloverfield monster.

queeq
People have so little sense of history... When Abrams signed on for ST people got mad because he was really a big SW fan... Now, he's suddenly a Trekkie??? Come on...

focus4chumps
who even suggested that?

queeq
Originally posted by dadudemon
The anti-Star Wars Trekkie fans are going to shit themselves. Now it is no longer "Star Trek" vs "Star Wars". It will be both.

focus4chumps
i did not see any attempt to appraise jj's fanboy loyalties.

i wouldn't waste time attempting to decipher ddm's thought process, but i'm fairly certain that his statement alluded to the likely prevalent fear of too many directoral similarities which might surface between ST and the new SW, which would severely annoy trekkies, among many others...myself included.

DARTH POWER
Abram's Star Trek movie was by far the best Trek movie Imo and brought the franchise back to the wider audience.

It was such a HUGE improvement after those embarrassing Next Gen movies.

Simply put Abram's made Star Trek "Cool" again.

If Abram's can do anything like that for SW then I think we will all be pretty happy.

focus4chumps
is it possible for you to enjoy a story's reincarnation without taking a big steamy dump all over its source material?

i enjoyed the new ST as well, and yes the ST-TNG films after first contact were embarrassing (as were eps 1,4,&5), but wrath of khan and undiscovered country were at least on par (im being generous toward abrams there).

-Pr-
I'd honestly rate FC and WOK as being better. The truth was that for most Trekkies, Abrams' movie wasn't Star Trek, but was a Star Trek movie, as contradictory as that might seem. The franchise needed a shot of life, and it got it. For that alone, Abrams needs to be commended.

That and Karl Urban as McCoy. Holy hell he was good in that role.

Nephthys
Has anyone seen Moviebobs anti-Abrams rant on the Escapist? It's kind of funny.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Nephthys
Has anyone seen Moviebobs anti-Abrams rant on the Escapist? It's kind of funny.

Just watched it... Honestly, man has a point.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by focus4chumps
is it possible for you to enjoy a story's reincarnation without taking a big steamy dump all over its source material? i enjoyed the new ST as well, and yes the ST-TNG films after first contact were embarrassing (as were eps 1,4,&5), but wrath of khan and undiscovered country were at least on par (im being generous toward abrams there)

Yes Star Trek's 2-4 were class. And it was a franchise that was still enjoyed by the wider audience at that time. 6 was ok. Nothing special tbh.

Next Gen movies ruined ST for the big screen though.

First Class was good, but still not the best acting or Direction.

But Abrams really has made the franchise back to the awsomeness and coolness and appeal it had a long time ago (ST 2-4 days). Of course we have to see if he keeps it up with the sequel.

Oh and btw I was always a big fan Star Trek. Really used to live Next Gen as a series. But the Next Gen films were just awful.

ares834
Originally posted by -Pr-
The truth was that for most Trekkies, Abrams' movie wasn't Star Trek, but was a Star Trek movie, as contradictory as that might seem.

That's because it was more of a Star Wars movie than a Star Trek one. He is a great choice for the role and I eagerly anticipate what he will create.

-Pr-
Originally posted by ares834
That's because it was more of a Star Wars movie than a Star Trek one. He is a great choice for the role and I eagerly anticipate what he will create.

Sure, but not what I meant. Star Trek movies have, for the most part, been a departure from the show. Large scale action pieces with the entire galaxy at stake rather than the very human, very complex stories that the show gave us.

The only problem is that with no show around, we have to rely on the movies for what makes Trek, Trek.

queeq
Hence Abrams reboot prolly, to depart from the show and create a momentum all by itself.

Personally I always liked the original series. But the movies... well, they were always kinda boring. Wrath of Khan is fine, I liked First Contact a lot, but somehow these movies always felt like extracted tv shows. The ST credo of technological advance will benefit universal peace felt overblown and pretentious in the movies. And yes I agree, Abrams made ST cool and vivid and well, better paced... More like a spectacle. Is that good or bad? I dunno, I am not a Trekkie.... but I certainly enjoyed the movie a lot more than the other ST movies.

(But maybe that was because Abrams turned ST into SW... SHHHHHHHHH... don't tell anyone. wink )

phinney6
Gotta say that I've grown into an Star Trek Original Series fan. Not so much the other series', but the first cast was great. I enjoyed all of the movies and I agree with what Queeq is saying about Abrams. I also hope he does get a chance to direct the new Star Wars movies.

queeq
Looks like he does.

Kazenji
XgiJxHjN2k8

queeq
Hehehe... lens flare city.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.