‘Comics need to get better at not being so … comic-y’...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
From Matt Fraction in an interview with the Los Angeles Times

V

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2013/01/quote-of-the-day-comics-need-to-get-better-at-not-being-so-comic-y/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

-Pr-
What the holy ****. Has he not been paying attention? New 52? Marvel Now?

Honestly, I thought my opinion of the guy couldn't get any lower, but there you go...

Damborgson
Christ

SevenShackles
I went over it twice and honestly it just doesn't make sense to me.. I mean I get it but given the current direction of both marvel and DC it just.. It just doesn't seem like were looking at the same comics for this statement to be made. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Q99
Originally posted by -Pr-
What the holy ****. Has he not been paying attention? New 52? Marvel Now?

New 52 ended up primarily getting old readers back in, but yea. Comic sales have gone up due to these events.

"I think we as an industry fell into this pattern of not caring about new readers anymore." is a real problem, DC's got a habit of not even trying for female readers/not worrying about stuff that can turn them off, but I don't think the problem has to do with high issue numbers or being too 'comic-y'.

I think it's simply a matter of having to do stuff that appeals to different groups and then, and this is very important, sticking with it, not canning it after a single year if it doesn't do super-well (DC's Minx imprint). To get new audiences, you need to build them slowly, develop cult followings and be happy with them, and then once you have a couple small followings of multiple books going, then you can leverage that into something big. You need the foothold before you get the explosion.

curryman
Or maybe the industry needs to stop with the outdated sales-formats.

I'm surprised no one's tried something similar to JUMP.

Q99
Originally posted by curryman
Or maybe the industry needs to stop with the outdated sales-formats.

I'm surprised no one's tried something similar to JUMP.

Jump has closed down and gone all-digital in the US.

There have been some attempts at anthology, they just don't normally last too long.

Comics are the healthiest sector in the magazine business, which has mostly sunk like a rock over the last few years where comics have slowly expanded. The TPB and digital markets both continue to expand as well.

curryman
Originally posted by Q99
Jump has closed down and gone all-digital in the US.

I think that's part of the problem, that too much of comic-book industry is centered in the US.

And that's a good move.

Originally posted by Q99
Comics are the healthiest sector in the magazine business, which has mostly sunk like a rock over the last few years where comics have slowly expanded. The TPB and digital markets both continue to expand as well.

It's the same most places that I know of. TPB sell well.

I don't see why you would bring up digital sales because that's clearly the format that I support.

Q99
I think that's part of the problem, that too much of comic-book industry is centered in the US.

Both Europe and Japan has comics too. Europe's just tend not to blow up big when they come over here (which I think is a shame).

So does South America, come to thing of it. It just doesn't come up much, because the demand is largely met by US comics.

It was a general comment- the comics medium isn't doing badly.

The traditional floppies are doing well (literally twice their low-point in the 90s after the big crash), and then you've got these two other growth areas. But to a large extent, digital and TPB are just bonuses- the floppies are still the cornerstone of business, and that's not a mistake, they are in fact doing well.

-Pr-
It amuses me that Fraction says DC isn't trying to grab female readers, when it's consistently tried harder than Marvel (and most other companies).

curryman
Originally posted by Q99
The traditional floppies are doing well (literally twice their low-point in the 90s after the big crash), and then you've got these two other growth areas. But to a large extent, digital and TPB are just bonuses- the floppies are still the cornerstone of business, and that's not a mistake, they are in fact doing well.

Doing well compared to when? The 90s?

2012 had a little boost thanks to the movies, but 11 and 10 were not doing particularly well.

And you're not even touching the quality of the books being published. Comics themselves aren't inherently good, they need to be good comics.

srankmissingnin
It amuses me that Fraction says DC isn't trying to grab female readers, when it's consistently tried harder than Marvel (and most other companies).

I don't know man, Marvel tries to push female characters all the time. She Hulk. Red She Hulk. Ms Marvel. X-23. Spider-woman, Black Widow (did Lady Ghost rider have an ongoing for a while? I forget). They've all had solo series (most of them even got more than one crack at carrying a solo) over the last five years. It's just no one seems to be picking them up, even when they are critically accomplished like X-23 was. X-Men Legacy was pretty much a Rogue solo for years, and JitM is the Lady Sif show right now. Sure DC has a Wonder Woman and Catwoman solo running in perpetuity (and usually a Batgirl in some form or another) but Marvel is constantly testing the water with new female characters solo books... it's just that no one wants to jump in.

Q99
Doing well compared to when? The 90s?

Yes, literally twice as much as the low point after the 90s bubble.

Not doing as well as the bubble, but that was a stupid bubble and far less stable than now.

They weren't doing that badly either, '10 outperformed anything in the '95-05 period, often by a lot (and notably, was in a recession), and movies don't affect sales much at all. Like, we wish they did, but the effect is really minimal.

There is plenty of good comics. Even aside from the big two, the non-big two market is expanding with hits like Saga, Walking Dead, and so on.

They really didn't try hard with New 52 ^^;;

Decreased number of female books, put only one female character on the main JLA, JLI didn't treat it's female characters very well, Catwoman's and Starfire's blatant fanservice are a turn-off to two potentially female-friendly characters, the fact that all Batgirls but one were erased while all Robins stayed around, etc..

Also, they had literally one female writer at launch, across 52 books. You might not remember it, but that caused enough controversy that DC publicly apologized and said they'd search out more female creators.

They've picked up some, doing World's Finest with Powergirl and Huntress, and Amethyst by a female writer (the only female writer from the aforementioned initiative apparently), but, like, we're talking it's arguable whether they're even where they were at pre-reboot, it's not exactly what one would call a 'push' for female readers.

You might not be aware of it, but DC has gotten a lot of well-deserved flak recently for it's handling of females, be it characters or fans.

Comic on the subject

---

Marvel's pushing Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers), Sif (in Journey into Mystery), their team books have a much heavier female presence with several female team leaders (only female team leader in DC is on BoP), and heck, is doing an all-female X-men team by an A-list writer. Also very importantly, they aren't doing anything like the Starfire redo, the turned-up-sex on Catwoman, the Rapazons in WW, or anything else that turns off potential female readers.

Golgo13
DC just had a few female lead books on the top 100 for CBR. Batwoman and Wonder Woman, which are gold, IMO. Not to mention BOP, Catwoman, Batgirl (high seller), and Amythest. That's just from the top of my head. They have more female books than Marvel.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Golgo13
DC just had a few female lead books on the top 100 for CBR. Batwoman and Wonder Woman, which are gold, IMO. Not to mention BOP, Catwoman, Batgirl (high seller), and Amythest. That's just from the top of my head. They have more female books than Marvel.

DC's female books definitely outsell Marvels, that's for sure, but Marvel tries much harder to push new female characters into the lime light.

Golgo13
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
DC's female books definitely outsell Marvels, that's for sure, but Marvel tries much harder to push new female characters into the lime light.

I think that's because they actually have to try harder, since DC's females will automatically sell. Batgirl is a horrible book (Sorry, PR. stick out tongue but it will still sale. Same with Catwoman who is highly recognizable. DC still pushes some obscure female books like Amythest.

Q99
Originally posted by Golgo13

DC has more solo female books, but less female presence in team books / female characters

And of the ones you named, Catwoman's highly sexified-towards-men, Wonder Woman had her origin reworked to be more male centric (her powers now derive from a male god rather than a goddess, her combat skills come from training from a male rather than the amazons, and her morals not coming from the Amazons either).

Heck, Amethyst, what you might think as a shoe-in for younger female readers/female readers looking for a fun book, opened up with a gang attempting to rape a side-character.

There's no effort to avoid problematic issues that put off female readers, even in female books. Only Batwoman and BoP are good in that area.

Marvel's never had too much success with female solo books, but it's solidly presented female characters are both more numerous and more solidly presented in-universe. Picking up an X-book just feels female-friendlier than DC.

Golgo13
Yeah, before the relaunch, Marvel only had one solo female book and that was X-23. They don't sell very well. DC has team books like Birds of Prey and have pushed females in team books as well like JLA and JSA.

-Pr-
I don't know man, Marvel tries to push female characters all the time. She Hulk. Red She Hulk. Ms Marvel. X-23. Spider-woman, Black Widow (did Lady Ghost rider have an ongoing for a while? I forget). They've all had solo series (most of them even got more than one crack at carrying a solo) over the last five years. It's just no one seems to be picking them up, even when they are critically accomplished like X-23 was. X-Men Legacy was pretty much a Rogue solo for years, and JitM is the Lady Sif show right now. Sure DC has a Wonder Woman and Catwoman solo running in perpetuity (and usually a Batgirl in some form or another) but Marvel is constantly testing the water with new female characters solo books... it's just that no one wants to jump in.

I'm not saying Marvel doesn't try to push female characters. I just think DC does more, and that, even if you wanted to say Marvel did as much, Fraction's comment is still way off.

Originally posted by Q99

Not doing as well as the bubble, but that was a stupid bubble and far less stable than now.

They weren't doing that badly either, '10 outperformed anything in the '95-05 period, often by a lot (and notably, was in a recession), and movies don't affect sales much at all. Like, we wish they did, but the effect is really minimal.

There is plenty of good comics. Even aside from the big two, the non-big two market is expanding with hits like Saga, Walking Dead, and so on.

They really didn't try hard with New 52 ^^;;

Decreased number of female books, put only one female character on the main JLA, JLI didn't treat it's female characters very well, Catwoman's and Starfire's blatant fanservice are a turn-off to two potentially female-friendly characters, the fact that all Batgirls but one were erased while all Robins stayed around, etc..

Also, they had literally one female writer at launch, across 52 books. You might not remember it, but that caused enough controversy that DC publicly apologized and said they'd search out more female creators.

They've picked up some, doing World's Finest with Powergirl and Huntress, and Amethyst by a female writer (the only female writer from the aforementioned initiative apparently), but, like, we're talking it's arguable whether they're even where they were at pre-reboot, it's not exactly what one would call a 'push' for female readers.

You might not be aware of it, but DC has gotten a lot of well-deserved flak recently for it's handling of females, be it characters or fans.

Comic on the subject

---

Marvel's pushing Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers), Sif (in Journey into Mystery), their team books have a much heavier female presence with several female team leaders (only female team leader in DC is on BoP), and heck, is doing an all-female X-men team by an A-list writer. Also very importantly, they aren't doing anything like the Starfire redo, the turned-up-sex on Catwoman, the Rapazons in WW, or anything else that turns off potential female readers.

Well New 52 was different, and DC seems to be rectifying it I think.

Originally posted by Q99
DC has more solo female books, but less female presence in team books / female characters

And of the ones you named, Catwoman's highly sexified-towards-men, Wonder Woman had her origin reworked to be more male centric (her powers now derive from a male god rather than a goddess, her combat skills come from training from a male rather than the amazons, and her morals not coming from the Amazons either).

Heck, Amethyst, what you might think as a shoe-in for younger female readers/female readers looking for a fun book, opened up with a gang attempting to rape a side-character.

There's no effort to avoid problematic issues that put off female readers, even in female books. Only Batwoman and BoP are good in that area.

Marvel's never had too much success with female solo books, but it's solidly presented female characters are both more numerous and more solidly presented in-universe. Picking up an X-book just feels female-friendlier than DC.

I honestly don't agree about Catwoman tbh.

As far as Wonder Woman goes, sure, she's been shifted, but I don't see how they've necessarily put off female readers.

Golgo13
Yeah, I disagree with Fraction as well.

Q99
I'm not saying Marvel doesn't try to push female characters. I just think DC does more, and that, even if you wanted to say Marvel did as much, Fraction's comment is still way off.

From my point of view, Marvel pays way more attention to how the female characters are developed and fit in the universe. Even if few got solos, that doesn't change that plenty got page time and major roles.

DC has female solo books... but outside of them gives little attention, and gives them very small role in the premier Justice League teams.

And I will say this applies mostly post-52. Pre-52, you had more female solo books, even outside the main names. You had Power Girl leading one of the JSA teams for awhile, and both JSA teams having a lot of female characters. The JLA was co-lead by a female character (Donna Troy), and was normally even split or even female-majority (one story arc had the team consist of 4 female heroes + DickBatman).

They were much better before.

New 52 was the time to do it, though. "We're trying to attract new readers!" while being less open to women, well, it sends a message.

It is also striking how a lot more female characters didn't get carried over in the changeover than male characters (GL survived mostly intact... except Soranik and Iolande and Jade are all gone, and the first two don't really have any backstory reasons to vanish. Batfamily ditto. The two least-altered areas of the universe managed to lose 5 notable female characters and no notable males).

Basically if you were following a major female character pre-reboot, you were much less likely to be able to pick up their new version after, and if you were a female reader looking to start out and tried picking up the headline books, you won't find a lot of heroines.

And DC's attempts to rectify? Consider of precisely two books, about a year after they'd announced that they'd try. It's not exactly a stunning effort.

There's been heavy complaints about all this, and the number of women readers went down with the new 52.

To put it bluntly, even if you didn't see it as such, female readers certainly did.

(Seriously, I do not know precisely how many times I saw people post "**** this company," their words not mine, in response to DC's handling of female characters. A lot, certainly)

Having only X-23 was a short-lived aberration for them, I'll note.

Notably, they had a female-solo book recently last for over 120 issues on minor sales (MC2 Spider-Girl). They tried making a 616 Spider-girl book with Anya, it just didn't work well. They also made a non-616 *Shoujo manga* type book, Spider-Man loves Mary Jane, with MJ as the lead, which was really popular with female readers. The current Carol Danvers push is the second they've tried with her in recent years, they did one post-House of M that lasted for a 3+ year solo series. They had She-Hulk's recent book. They had the shorter minis Her-alds and Patsy Walker and some other girl-centric ones.

Marvel make a lot of tries. A lot don't work, but they try.

And yea, pre-reboot, DC did push females in both of those, like I noted uppost pre-reboot DC was doing quite well in the area.

-Pr-
I was including pre 52 comics, so maybe that's where the disconnect happened.

You've seen more than me, so maybe you know better, but I'd have to wonder if these people were actual fans of the character, and not those "using Diana to further a sexist agenda" people. I have no idea if it's being written well though, so if it's bad, fair enough.

Q99
I was including pre 52 comics, so maybe that's where the disconnect happened.

You've seen more than me, so maybe you know better, but I'd have to wonder if these people were actual fans of the character, and not those "using Diana to further a sexist agenda" people. I have no idea if it's being written well though, so if it's bad, fair enough.

Oh yea, this was on multiple general comic discussion areas, blogs, etc. (you may have noticed that this is not the most female-friendly of forums, so you won't really get a good perspective from here). A lot of them even like NuDiana in in terms of personality and such, just dislike the rapazons, how her backstory gets continually more male-centric, etc..

And, as I noted, this includes stuff like comparing info to note the drop in female readers (That one was on the blog DCWomenKickingAss, I believe).

I mean, the example comic I posted to illustrate that it was wider backlash is Shortpacked, a big webcomic with a male writer.

These are pretty widely recognized problems that I see independently complained about in different areas.

(Mind you, there were still some problems and stuff to complain about before. I.e. Cassandra Cain. Steph's death in Wargames. Etc.. It's just it tended to be a lot more... specific, less general trend-y stuff. Well, baring the normal minor complaints about the outfits and the ass-boob poses, but that doesn't get the same level of flak)

Kazenji
(did Lady Ghost rider have an ongoing for a while? I forget).

She did and it was a good book not sure why the **** Marvel cancelled it.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Q99
Oh yea, this was on multiple general comic discussion areas, blogs, etc. (you may have noticed that this is not the most female-friendly of forums, so you won't really get a good perspective from here). A lot of them even like NuDiana in in terms of personality and such, just dislike the rapazons, how her backstory gets continually more male-centric, etc..

And, as I noted, this includes stuff like comparing info to note the drop in female readers (That one was on the blog DCWomenKickingAss, I believe).

I mean, the example comic I posted to illustrate that it was wider backlash is Shortpacked, a big webcomic with a male writer.

These are pretty widely recognized problems that I see independently complained about in different areas.

This particular forum is female friendly enough, imo.

It's the vs forum's faux sexism that's an issue. Stupid kids.

So is the new comic bad? Or just a huge departure?

Cogito
Didn't read the article, but I generally agree with the opposite of whatever Fraction says or does.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Cogito
Didn't read the article, but I generally agree with the opposite of whatever Fraction says or does.

thumb up

curryman
Originally posted by Q99

Yup.

Originally posted by Q99

10 and 11 did just fine, but they've been steadily cutting good books. No one can argue with a straight face that they're putting out as many quality titles as they did 6-7 years ago. Beginning of the 00s was a pretty strong period as far as quality goes, and the X-Men/Avengers titles did not just pull in sales but were actually readable.

Q99
This particular forum is female friendly enough, imo.

It's the vs forum's faux sexism that's an issue. Stupid kids.

Still, it's right next to a very unfriendly one (and the 'faux' is pretty iffy, it's more 'people pretend to be faux to get away with it' when you get to that concentration) and there's a lot of crossover between the two.

So by extension, not a lot of female perspective here.

It's... aggh, actually a bit hard to describe properly.

It's a book that, were it not for some problematic bits, I would call 'great'.

And the problematic bits range from really horrible (the Amazon rapist thing is not only offense, but it makes no sense- How do you grow up into your 20s, alongside Amazon friends, and have the way your culture reproduces never come up? NuDiana somehow has a moral compass that points in the exact opposite direction of her homeland, and not knowing it!), to merely a bit annoying/only a problem because of the pattern (Having Ares train her instead of, say, Athena, and having Zeus be her dad, is only really a problem because it all adds up to her great abilities and such having nothing to do with any other female characters).

You could make, like, 5 changes, most of them small (because only the Ares training is actually plot-important), and I'd probably be a major fan, or worst case not a reader but not a detractor.

And considering how poorly the biggest problem fits into the plot, I kinda wonder if it's someone in editorial who wanted it in, because it doesn't really jive with the surrounding quality, which makes it all the worse from the attracting-female readers perspective, because they take one of the traditional female draws, put on a good writer, then they make a couple bonehead calls, easily caught and fixed ones, and turned it into an example people use when talking about why women shouldn't read DC and should go marvel or indy instead.

Hm, I'd have to go back and see what the good ones were 6-7 years ago... but I think with the expanding non-big 2 market and total number of books, that might not be as one-sided as you think.

Comichron does sales charts, and it used to be a top 300. Now it's a top 400, and the 400th spot often sells as much as the 300th spot did 6-7 years ago.

The big two might have slightly less (they did put out an unusually high number of books 6-7 years ago), but the others have filled in the gap and then some, IMO at least.

That includes quality while I'm at it. IDW has both upped number and quality on their Transformers books, both Robots in Disguise and More Than Meets the Eye are much stronger than their already not-bad prior book. Archie Comics got Ian Flynn, who's a great writer, who went from 1 Sonic book, to 2 Sonic Books plus Megaman. And even though they're 'kids' books, you have stuff like 3-laws robots trying to figure out how to stop terrorists when they aren't allowed to harm human beings, and such. Antarctic Press has their long-running comic Gold Digger hit a sweet spot, Red 5 has Atomic Robo. Image has Saga.

There's a pretty good number of good books out there.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Q99
Still, it's right next to a very unfriendly one (and the 'faux' is pretty iffy, it's more 'people pretend to be faux to get away with it' when you get to that concentration) and there's a lot of crossover between the two.

So by extension, not a lot of female perspective here.

It's... aggh, actually a bit hard to describe properly.

It's a book that, were it not for some problematic bits, I would call 'great'.

And the problematic bits range from really horrible (the Amazon rapist thing is not only offense, but it makes no sense- How do you grow up into your 20s, alongside Amazon friends, and have the way your culture reproduces never come up? NuDiana somehow has a moral compass that points in the exact opposite direction of her homeland, and not knowing it!), to merely a bit annoying/only a problem because of the pattern (Having Ares train her instead of, say, Athena, and having Zeus be her dad, is only really a problem because it all adds up to her great abilities and such having nothing to do with any other female characters).

You could make, like, 5 changes, most of them small (because only the Ares training is actually plot-important), and I'd probably be a major fan, or worst case not a reader but not a detractor.

And considering how poorly the biggest problem fits into the plot, I kinda wonder if it's someone in editorial who wanted it in, because it doesn't really jive with the surrounding quality, which makes it all the worse from the attracting-female readers perspective, because they take one of the traditional female draws, put on a good writer, then they make a couple bonehead calls, easily caught and fixed ones, and turned it into an example people use when talking about why women shouldn't read DC and should go marvel or indy instead.

If I honestly thought those guys were being genuinely sexist, they'd have been banned by now, tbh. I've even gone in to threads where I thought it was out of hand.

I'm trying to keep my replies as short as possible so as not to have it turn in to a wall of text, so i'll try to keep this short.

Do you really think that having more men in the title discourages women from reading? That's an actual question; I'm not being rhetorical.

The "rapeazons" thing is consistent with the mythology, but I can see why people aren't happy with it, given that it's a huge departure. Plus, there's the Diana thing.

Honestly, I'm just trying to work out whether people are leaving the book because it's full of changes they hate (and I can certainly empathise with that; lord knows comic companies have ruined some of my favourite characters lately), or if they think the book is worse purely because there are more men in it. Or if it's a combination of both that's apparently turning off women.

Q99
If I honestly thought those guys were being genuinely sexist, they'd have been banned by now, tbh. I've even gone in to threads where I thought it was out of hand.

From my point of view? It's a really really sexist place. If you 'joke' in a sexist manner constantly, then there's a sexist atmosphere. The only female posters are ones with very thick skins who don't mind being insulted a lot, and/or who don't tell people they're female.

It's why I don't go to vs nearly as much as I used to, it just really didn't let up.

It's not more men that's necessarily a problem, but less women, and also role.

If you have 7 women in a team of 30, and they get screen time and important roles... yea, they're a minority, but you've got enough to have diversity, give female readers a choice of characters to associate and such. It's not optimal but it's not a problem.

But if you only have one (Justice League), or if you have a few but they get a short-end of the stick (JLI- female characters don't get major roles, three out of four female characters are majorly wounded and taken out of the picture, and the remaining one, the only new character and one of the few new female characters in Nu52 period, is a flirt without much development), then it is a turn off. It doesn't have much appeal if there's not many characters you identify with or if they're side characters. There's lack of draw there.

And female readers do like it when there's more. It's realistic. It'll be closer to our own experiences, where there's not just one or a few girls at the fringe. There'll be a wider variety of girl personality types just like in real life. It makes it feel less like a world written by men for men and more like a world for everyone.

I'll also mention a related thing- you know the 'Bad Girl' books of the 90s, Lady Death, Vampirella and so on? Women in skimpy outfits killing things with lots of blood and fanservice? Those did great with female readers, you may be surprised. Why? Well, they were about female characters with lots of agency, they were the driving forces in their worlds, who did what they wanted and were very much power-fantasies. Wonder Woman's often been a power fantasy. Pre-Reboot Starfire power fantasy. But the current books have made several of the female characters more about the men (Starfire has been more focused on being a sex fantasy for the male characters, what with her memory issues and such), and there's really not a lot of available power fantasy for female readers in DC.

52 Wonder Woman still fits the role of power fantasy, it's just she's got a lot surrounding her to, I dunno, 'reassure' male readers that 'sure, she's a female power fantasy, but she gets the power from males'? That's one interpretation one can read in the book at least.

I'd say it's still one of the most attractive books to females in the DC line at the moment, you still have a powerful woman running around and fighting gods and monsters and such, it's just got parts that push away too, and if even your premier female books are pushing away a segment of female readers, that's bad.

A thing to remember is the myth amazons were created by the greeks to illustrate how horrible it'd be if women fought.

Myths often had morals, and it's pretty understandable why most modern versions reworked this one.

It's not that it's a departure so much as the result is one with a horrible moral about women. Rather than being empowering, it's literally an old story about how empowering women is bad. In Wonder Woman.

The big thing is really the rapeazon thing which is a major turn-off, the rest just makes a not-good pattern that really is only a problem because of how wide-spread it is.

It's not so much more men, it's that women are being pushed out of major roles and replaced with men, and it's becoming a more male-centric story as a result. It's targeted towards men, not women, and it shows.

Bouboumaster
Who cares what Matt ****ing Fraction says?

Seriously, this dude is nuts.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.