Heat vs Collateral which is the better Michael Mann film

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

P-Geyser
Finally got a blu ray player(YAY!) and yesterday I purchased both Heat and Collateral for blu ray at a good price at best buy. I was thinking both are great..set in L.A, great storytelling, both directed by the awesome Michael Mann.

I actually checked on other forums about this and too my suprise, many thought Heat was too long and that Collateral was nonstop suspense. I dont know. Heat has the legends of acting Deniro and Pacino appearing together for the first time on screen...ownage right there. In Collateral(I know many people don't like him)but Tom Cruise was pure ownage in my opinion in that film and Jamie Foxx was great. Michael Mann directed the sh!t out of both films in my opinion.

Just curious what is the better Michael Mann film to you guys?

Darth Martin
Heat. No question. Although Collateral is pretty good. Heat has De Niro at the top of his game. Many classic scenes in that one.

P-Geyser
yeah the coffee shop scence was my fave I mean who didn't luv that scence?

Mindset
Deniro and Pacino.

-Pr-
Heat imo.

-Pr-
Didn't get to edit in time.

As much as I like both movies, I have to admit that I prefer his cut of Miami Vice to either movie. The difference between theatrical (which was just bad), and his cut is insanely huge, and it's in my top ten movies of all time.

The_Tempest
Heat, by virtue of the winning combination of De Niro and Pacino. Cruise gives a better performance than either of them, but they're too strong together.

Mindset
Val Kilmer made Heat what it was.

He's a legend.

Ascendancy
Heat without question. Collateral kept the energy higher throughout the film and was great, but Heat was complete from beginning to end.

^Guess I'll have to check the director's cut of Miami Vice, because the theatrical version had a lot of letdown in the middle.

BruceSkywalker
both films sucked badly.. i wanted my money back afterward.. lol

-Pr-
Originally posted by Ascendancy
Heat without question. Collateral kept the energy higher throughout the film and was great, but Heat was complete from beginning to end.

^Guess I'll have to check the director's cut of Miami Vice, because the theatrical version had a lot of letdown in the middle.

I remember seeing the theatrical cut in theatres, and how disappointed I was by it. That was why I was so blown away when I sat down and watched Mann's cut.

quanchi112
Collateral all the way.

Mindset
I love you Quan.

Like a man loves another man.

no homo

but a little homo

quanchi112
Originally posted by Mindset
I love you Quan.

Like a man loves another man.

no homo

but a little homo Vincent would kill every weak willed slack jawed goatee sportin prima donnas from Heat.

the ninjak
Heat was a much better film.

quanchi112
Originally posted by the ninjak
Heat was a much better film. Nah.

SpaceMonkey
Heat, hands down, no question. Collateral, although a very good movie, is weighed down by the crappy acting of Cruise and Fox. How is this even a question?

quanchi112
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
Heat, hands down, no question. Collateral, although a very good movie, is weighed down by the crappy acting of Cruise and Fox. How is this even a question? Cruise was the reason the movie was superb. Cruise's performance was better than either Pacino or Deniro.

Myth
Collateral is not even in the same league as Heat.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Myth
Collateral is not even in the same league as Heat. I wholeheartedly agree. Collateral--major league.

Heat--Minor league.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by quanchi112
Cruise's performance was better than either Pacino or Deniro.

It's funny how an actor's given minimum dialogue & told to look sombre at the camera at all times & that's regarded as a "better performance."

Like Tom Hanks in Road To Perdition...every review stated on how well his acting skills was & yet he hardly said a word in the movie & just looked angry at every glance.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
It's funny how an actor's given minimum dialogue & told to look sombre at the camera at all times & that's regarded as a "better performance."

Like Tom Hanks in Road To Perdition...every review stated on how well his acting skills was & yet he hardly said a word in the movie & just looked angry at every glance. You're not being objective. Tom's performance was exceptional. You know it. I know it. Yellow dog from Funny Farm even knows it.

the ninjak
Tom ain't beating Deniro's, Kilmer's and Pacino's performance in Heat.

As much as Tom's few performances as playing bad-guys throughout the years has been impressive, and Jaime was awesome as Max.
I loved Heat even as a young teenager.

It's crazy. But I prefer Miami Vice over both of them. I phucken loved that movie.

There's no accounting for taste. Heat just ages like fine wine to me.

HEAT: Took aging icons and brought them out into a final standoff. And at times felt a little dragged but as I grow older I respect all the choices made.

COLLATERAL: Brought an idea already cool and played with it. An Assassin manipulating an everyday man. And was very entertaining.

MIAMI VICE: Took a cheesy classic tale. And ripped it into the now in a raw fashion that every moment in the film felt like an episode yet was completely believable. I wish Mann made the recent Batman movies.

quanchi112
Originally posted by the ninjak
Tom ain't beating Deniro's, Kilmer's and Pacino's performance in Heat.

As much as Tom's few performances as playing bad-guys throughout the years has been impressive, and Jaime was awesome as Max.
I loved Heat even as a young teenager.

It's crazy. But I prefer Miami Vice over both of them. I phucken loved that movie.

There's no accounting for taste. Heat just ages like fine wine to me.

HEAT: Took aging icons and brought them out into a final standoff. And at times felt a little dragged but as I grow older I respect all the choices made.

COLLATERAL: Brought an idea already cool and played with it. An Assassin manipulating an everyday man. And was very entertaining.

MIAMI VICE: Took a cheesy classic tale. And ripped it into the now in a raw fashion that every moment in the film felt like an episode yet was completely believable. I wish Mann made the recent Batman movies. In the end it all comes down to what you prefer. This is a subjective topic. I enjoyed the movie Collateral far more than Heat. Was Collateral something completely new ? No. But one thing it did do was made me enjoy a movie about an assassin. The assassin was likeable and badass. Tom's acting in it was superb.

roughrider
It's pretty close, but Heat is Michael Mann's magnum opus. It summed up all the themes he's worked on for decades.

It's a tight race for what's second best on his filmography - The Last Of The Mohicans, Collateral, Thief, The Insider; all part of his top five.

He's only made one outright bomb - The Keep. Kind of a mess, that one.

SpaceMonkey
Originally posted by quanchi112
Tom's acting in it was superb.

OK, Quanchi112 is one of 4 things:

1. Tom Cruise
2. A Scientologist
3. A person with a sarcastic sense of humor
4. A person whose opinion on what is good acting differs from mine

Happy Dance Happy Dance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.