DR WHO: The Series & Movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

GordonSkywalker
How many people out here like the Dr Who series and movies? Which is your favorite Doctor and story?

Augeybana
Peter Davison was one of my favorites.

Julie
I still haven't seen it....

Augeybana
Never you have too watch it.

Julie
perhaps one day, but I doubt that it will be soon

GordonSkywalker
Tom Baker is my favorite. I watched "Genesis of the Daleks" today. A great classic involving The Doctor's arch adversaries the Daleks and their mad creator Davros.

Augeybana
What was the episode where they meet King John and he was an imposter...damn I forgot.

GordonSkywalker
"The King's Demons" , a Peter Davison story involving a false King John and the Doctor's other main adversary The Master. That one is a true classic and lots of fun to watch.

Augeybana
That the one one of my favorites."the Time Monster" wasn't that bad.

GordonSkywalker
"The Time Monster" was an early seventies story which also featured The Master(in an earlier regeneration). It also had UNIT and the flamboyant presence of the late great Jon Pertwee- the earthbound Doctor.

GordonSkywalker
Fun Factoid #1: Peter Davsion was the youngest actor to play The Doctor in this series about a renegade time-traveller on the run from his own people.He is considered the last great Doctor from the series broadcast in the eighties, originally.He spent three full years on the programme and had the dubious task of replacing the previous incumbent(and my favorite) Tom Baker.

Augeybana
Revenge of the Cyberman to me Rocked.

Ushgarak
Hmm, Revenge always seemed a bit limp to me. Coming just after Genesis it doesn't look very good in comparison.

Peter Davison is my favourtie Doctor and Caves of Androzani my favourite story. I have a smeaking suspicion Patrick Troughton would have been my favourite if they had had better production values in those days; his performance in the Three, Five and Two Doctors was wonderful. And I have always had a sneaking regard for the mammoth story "The War Games" even though it was blatantly five episodes too long.

If this thread is primarily going to be about the series then I really should move it to the GDF... in fact I shall do so now because frankly the movies don't get much attention in comparison...

GordonSkywalker
Yes the spinoff movies never did as good as the series from which they sprang. Although the series started in 1963 and lasted in first-run production until 1989, there were seven actors in the lead role. Of these, Peter Davison had the hardest job of all- replacing the legendary Tom Baker at a point when a new production crew were coming onto the series. Earthshock and Caves of Andrazani are two of his stories most people remember. I personally like The King's Demons and The Awakening.

Gundark
I don't really have a favorite episode, but Tom Baker was my favorite doctor.

GordonSkywalker
Revenge of the Cybermen is a great story. In his later adventures I really like The Sunmakers and Destiny of the Daleks. For me the 70s are the Golden Age of Dr Who.

Ushgarak
It is odd that Revenge was voted into being the first video release of Dr. Who, considering the general panning it gets by fans. As a story it has never scored highly in any official 'Best Story' poll (something that Genesis regularly wins)

GordonSkywalker
Yes I know. Isn't that weird? I would have thought they would have gone with a more popular tale like The Robots of Death or The Five Doctors. Go figure.

Ushgarak
Since it DID come out, though, The Five Doctors has had more video releases than I can comfortably handle. It is almost as bad as Star Wars.

GordonSkywalker
Yes! The original version(1985) the DVD, the Special Edition, and the one boxed with The King's Demons to name just a few of them!

GordonSkywalker
Anyone here like The Master?

Augeybana
Yeah Roger Delgado played the best Master my persoal favorite and the best one at of the other two.

GordonSkywalker
Roger Delgado was the master of gentlemen in his dealing with the earthbound Doctor(Jon Pertwee). The later Masters were insane after suffering too many defets at the hands of the Doctor.

Member.
well i cant say i've seen or know alot of the actors and movies in dr. who, but i'd like to think that i have seen my fare share of dr who episodes, for my agestick out tongueHappy Dance

GordonSkywalker
Yes, the modern wonders of DVDS and videocasettes! That's the best way for people under a certain age to even see the series these days. Unless you get BBC America or UK Gold. I believe they're still showing it.

GordonSkywalker
I am watching my friend's "Robots of Death" dvd he loaned me for the weekend. It features Tom Baker as The Doctor and Louise Jamieson as Leela. It is a very good story about robotic servants out of control on a sand mining vessel.Of course the Doctor and Leela(his companion) are suspected of multiple murders upon their arrival! Great classic entry from 1977.

Ushgarak
Make-up overload in that story... D.84 was a good character, but just WHY did they decide to give him such a dippy voice when all the other robots sounded so wonderfully clinical?

GordonSkywalker
Yes everyone except The Doctor and Leela had the strangest makeup jobs didn't they?

finti
Dont watch Dr Who

GordonSkywalker
Then you don't know what you're missing, finti. Dr Who is a classic. Tom Baker is the best of the slew of actors who have played the Doctor. The series does not rely on special effects and splashy graphics. It is a massively popular character- and plot driven series.

Captain REX
I don't watch it either, since I'm not in the know about them...

GordonSkywalker
Trust me you would love it. Dr Who is a worldwide phenomenon that began over in England and moved its fanbase to America and elsewhere. Though the series has long been out of production, the stories are still available online and in specialty shops.

Augeybana
Yeah GS is right it's relly worth watching.

Augeybana
Yeah GS is right it's relly worth watching.

Captain REX
I heard my dad talking about them the other day...a couple years ago...

So it is a great TV show? I think I'm pretty much plastered to television cartoons. I don't think there is enough brain matter to fry on another TV show...

GordonSkywalker
Well if you ever want to focus your brain on something besides cartoons, then Dr Who is the series for you, Captain!

Captain REX
Good, I'll consider it...

After watching Ed Edd & Eddy on Cartoon Network. big grin

GordonSkywalker
Good man. Yes I stayed up really late last night to watch the dvd my pal Johnny loaned me. I went to bed expecting to see something come out from the shadows. I was wide awake for some time before I was able to sleep peacefully.

GordonSkywalker
So which villians do you guys like? Daleks or Cybermen? Ice Warriors or Sontarans? The Rani or Sil?

Augeybana
Daleks were pretty interesting.

GordonSkywalker
The Daleks are cool. They made one heck of a mistake when they brought in their creator- the mad scientist Davros. It ruined their effectiveness which they enjoyed prior to his introduction.

Augeybana
I thought Prof.Zaroff was a crappy villian.

GordonSkywalker
Yeah I didn't think too much of him, I can tell you! Too many mad scientists spoil the plot!

Augeybana
I really thought Omega was an interesting charcter he wasn't that much of thos raging lunatic like the Primords that went Rar as a narrative.

GordonSkywalker
Omega was a great classic tragedy in the Dr Who mythos. He was terrific and well played in his debut story(The Three Doctors). As the founder of Time Lord society, he was unequalled-at least until the introduction of Rassilon in the Tom Baker classic, The Deadly Assassin.

Augeybana
GS you must know everything of DR.Who and I thought I knew DR.Whoyou blow me awaqy bro.But to me tarran Cappell and the androids that was cool but Tarren Cappell when he looked like one of those androids look very funny not much scray though.

GordonSkywalker
I watched that one(The Robots of Death) yesterday. Tarren Capel was to me a bit disturbing acting like the robots he controlled. I thought it was sad how that one guy mentally collapsed after the robots began their campaign to eliminate the crew.

Augeybana
I also liked the one "Ice Warriors" which was cool when that alien warrior.

GordonSkywalker
A great Patrick Troughton gem from the so-called Monster Era(Season 5:1967/68) which introduced viewers to the inhabitants of Mars- The Ice Warriors. This was the same season they did stories about the Yeti, the Cybermen, and some other stuff.The Ice Warriors also appeared in "The Seeds of Death" and "The Curse of Peladon".

Augeybana
I watching The one called "The Gunfighters" where the crew go to TombStone and witness the O.K/ Corral.

Augeybana
I watching The one called "The Gunfighters" where the crew go to TombStone and witness the O.K/ Corral.

GordonSkywalker
A William Hartnell Dr Who story set during the events of the feuds between the Clantons and the Earps. The Doctor gets to meet Doc Holliday in this 1965 adventure.I have never seen this one but read the novelisation once.There was more mystery about the Doctor the farther you go back in the series.

Augeybana
GS I bow to you as the king of DR.Who.

GordonSkywalker
Well it was nothing...I just happen to have grown up literally watching Dr Who. I first saw it as a five year-old in 1982 on a schoolnight.Tom Baker was the one I saw then and remains my favorite to this day. The earliest ones- which you happen to be watching -are ones they never showed here due to different story lengths and not 'suitable' for children. Of these the only ones I saw were An Unearthly Child and Planet of Giants.

Augeybana
That's a talent you got there GS.I started much later then you did I started watching in 1991 when I was about 7 but never as much as you did.And Peter Davison was the first doctor I watched he one of my favorites of doctors.

GordonSkywalker
Yeah PBS quit playing the series shortly after the Peter Davison episodes in 1991 here.

Augeybana
Yeah they don't play anymore episodes anymore sad though.

GordonSkywalker
PBS here started showing them out of order which was bad enough but then they ended the run in the smack middle of the Sylvester McCoy episodes. That sucked. sad

Augeybana
my friend is going to give me the tapes of the eighth season of dr.who with Jon Pertwee as the Doctor.

Ushgarak
If you see Rememberence and Curse of Fenric you really aren't misisng much by cutting out those later Sly McCoy episodes... there's Ghost Light, but that's only 3/4s of a good story.

The Ice Warriors were in the Monster of Peladon as well, of course. Easy to forget, though, because as in keeping with its programme code, YYY was this story ever made...

GordonSkywalker
Jon Pertwee was the 'earthbound Doctor' for roughly four years or so. Great stuff augey, you won't be disappointed. Plus you will get to see the original Master Roger Delgado. These stories are classics!

Augeybana
Yeah he was the best doctor.

GordonSkywalker
I like Tom Baker more but Jon Pertwee is my second favorite.

Augeybana
Tom Baker should be and is my favorite but Peter Davison is my second favorite.

GordonSkywalker
Davison is cool. A totally different type of Doctor but still cool. big grin

GordonSkywalker
Fun Factoid #2: Tom Baker and Ian Marter(Harry Sullivan in Season 12 and 13) once collaborated on a planned but sadly unmade big screen Dr Who adaptation entitled "Dr Who Meets Scratchman". Vincent Price was the planned guest star for the villianous title role.

Augeybana
Ohh.that would of been hot for Vincent Price to play a a villian.

GordonSkywalker
It would have gone down as a major successful hit if you ask me. sad

Julie
I guess nobody asked you then.....sad thing .....you coulda made it better:-)

GordonSkywalker
No, I meant it was a shame it was never made. This was a great idea that could have worked back in the seventies when both actors wrote the screenplay. Sadly Ian Marter died years ago and Mr Baker is in semi-retirement living in France with his wife now.

Julie
oh.....I really ought to see it one day......then again there's just so much out there...

GordonSkywalker
Dr Who? Well yes they made hundreds of episodes, most are commercially available now. Tom Baker is my top favorite so I stick with watching the ones he featured in. It was quite a shock to his official forum followers(Myself included) when he and the missus left England for France!

GordonSkywalker
ATTENTION DR WHO FANS: The 1996 full-length feature "Dr Who:The Movie" is being rebroadcast again this summer on select scifi Channel stations here in the US(and maybe UK as well). This 90 minute episode features Paul McGann as The Doctor, Daphne Ashbrook as Grace Holloway and Eric Roberts as the evil Master.

GordonSkywalker
Fun Factoid#3: Mr Bean star Rowan Atkinson played a future incarnation of the Doctor in a charity special aired in 1999 which was called Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death.

GordonSkywalker
How many people out here have actually seen the two Dr Who charity specials "Dimensions in Time"(1993) and "The Curse of Fatal Death"(1999)? Which ones did you prefer? cool

GordonSkywalker
All right forget charity specials no one has probably seen. In a contest between the Daleks and the Cybermen which one do you think would wipe the floor with the other???

Augeybana
Daleks but tuff situation.

GordonSkywalker
The Daleks have the superior technology but in a ground fight Cybermen are more mobile.

Augeybana
Very true GS.

GordonSkywalker
Still I like Daleks more anyway. Cybermen have too many weaknesses used against them at the last moment.

Augeybana
Yeah Daleks were cooler and but the people who made them the Davors were awesom eis that how you spell there name.

GordonSkywalker
Davros was the chief scientist of the Kaled race and it was him who created the original Daleks on Skaro.

Augeybana
A another good episode I saw had an interesting villian The Keller machine.A parisite that feeds off fear was pretty cool.

GordonSkywalker
That was "The Mind of Evil" and was originally broadcast during the series' eighth season in 1971. Jon Pertwee was the Doctor and Roger Delgado co-starred as The Master. This was the second story of the season and was one of the earliest on screen encounters between the two renegade Time Lords.

Augeybana
Yeah that one just finshed watching that loved those monster pretty cool I say.

GordonSkywalker
So as Dr Who is celebrating its 40th anniversary in November how many people out here in internet land think there will be some sort of tv special to commemorate it? I think Paul McGann should do a one-off story or something equally cool.

Augeybana
Of course only great shows can celebrate how long it's been out.

GordonSkywalker
I hope there is some tv special because I don't think audios or internet stories are good enough for something as big as this could be.

Ushgarak
Trying to get the BBC to do ANYTHING, Who-wise, is an arse. Still, it's always quietly bubbling that something will happen. Same with Blake's 7.

GordonSkywalker
Yes I wonder if we can believe any rumours until something actually materialises...no pun intended.

GordonSkywalker
UPDATE 5/29/03: Thanks to the people at Dr Who Online I and others like me can now watch the online broadcast of the new Dr Who serial "Shada". Based on the never transmitted six-part adventure by the legendary Douglas Adams(Of Hitchhikers' fame) Paul McGann and Lalla Ward have reprised their roles to recreate this "lost" story exclusively for the internet. This is too good for true fans to miss! eek!

Augeybana
Really got to see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GordonSkywalker
Punch in "Doctor Who Online" and it will take you right to the site and you can click on from there.

Augeybana
Thanks gonna check that out.

GordonSkywalker
Welcome Augey! The site is showcasing all but the final two episodes which are not being released via the site until next month sometime. Each of the four available episodes(half- hour length) are divided into several parts or chapters. It takes a small amount of time to load but is worth the wait my friend.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.