Thanos Vs The Serpent

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ThereIsHope
Can Thanos beat the Serpent?

One on one no assist from anyone, no prep, no IG or anything.

Kazenji
By serpent you mean his penis?

ThereIsHope
Originally posted by Kazenji
By serpent you mean his penis?

Your bent over near the screen right now arent you?

zopzop
Thanos. The Serpent did nothing impressive except shatter Cap's shield.

Mindset
Originally posted by zopzop
Thanos. The Serpent did nothing impressive except shatter Cap's shield. That means he can shatter Thanos' face.

zopzop
Originally posted by Mindset
That means he can shatter Thanos' face.
Odin couldn't do it, what makes you think the weaker Serpent would?

Thanos wins.

Lord Feron

Thanos wins.

I thought Serpent was suppose to be stronger because he was amped and he was the rightful king of asgard and he was odin's older bro (not saying older = stronger but it should mean something)

Also Odin didn't take Thanos that seriously also Serpent isn't as benevolent as Odin is.

Serpent was suppose to be a big deal but I want to assume he is atleast Odin power level. Meaning that if he took thanos as a serious threat he would be murder him.

Cogito
Originally posted by Lord Feron
I thought Serpent was suppose to be stronger because he was amped and he was the rightful king of asgard and he was odin's older bro (not saying older = stronger but it should mean something)

Also Odin didn't take Thanos that seriously also Serpent isn't as benevolent as Odin is.

Serpent was suppose to be a big deal but I want to assume he is atleast Odin power level. Meaning that if he took thanos as a serious threat he would be murder him.

When Odin came for him back in the day he shit his pants. There's no reason to believe he's Odin's level except that he's his brother.

Thor killed him. I don't think Thor would have killed Thanos is the same situation.

Zop's right, his best feat was breaking Cap's shield.

Lord Feron
Originally posted by Cogito
When Odin came for him back in the day he shit his pants. There's no reason to believe he's Odin's level except that he's his brother.

Thor killed him. I don't think Thor would have killed Thanos is the same situation.

Zop's right, his best feat was breaking Cap's shield.

Except that the fear of the world was amping him... im pretty sure thats what was happening. Odin wouldn't make such a big deal if he could just come in and whoop serpent's ass. Pretty sure serpent was feeding off of the fear of the planet thats why he was sending his guys thoughtout the world. So there is actually even more than what I just said to believe he is odin's level.

Is was destiny for serpent to die at the hands of thor somehow and it's was utter pis. Since serpent didn't have to turn into a damn dragon. Also thor had the odin sword and armor. Prob feed more into the PIS that the odin sword that odin used hurt serpent before so thor had to use it to slay the serpent. Pretty much PIS fueled death and thor died killing serpent. So it wasn't kind of a normal everyday win for thor.

I like that feat to.

Cogito
Originally posted by Lord Feron
Except that the fear of the world was amping him... im pretty sure thats what was happening. Odin wouldn't make such a big deal if he could just come in and whoop serpent's ass. Pretty sure serpent was feeding off of the fear of the planet thats why he was sending his guys thoughtout the world. So there is actually even more than what I just said to believe he is odin's level.

And since that would make Cul strongest around the time Odin was going to kick his ass the first time, it's logical to assume that Odin would phucking murder him the second time around. Only, you know, even Fraction and the rest of Marvel's fail squad on FI recognized that Odin would be overkill, so they kept him from getting involved.

TheGodKiller
Serpent wins.

Mindset

Thanos wins. Odin didn't break Cap's shield.

Silent Master

Thanos wins.

Odin was hardly using his full power while beating the crap out of Thanos.

zopzop
Originally posted by Silent Master
Odin was hardly using his full power while beating the crap out of Thanos.
Of course he wasn't :
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7219/fight1213gr7.th.jpg

iceman24567
Of course he wasn't :
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7219/fight1213gr7.th.jpg The phuck Odin was beating Thanos more and more as each panel went on while staying fresh and fit

zopzop
Originally posted by iceman24567
The phuck Odin was beating Thanos more and more as each panel went on while staying fresh and fit
Thanos muscled through a full Gungnir blast and attempted to wrestle Odin for control of the spear. Even after all that, Thanos wasn't dead or seriously injured.

No one is saying Thanos would have won but he did better vs Odin than Peak Serpent did. It wasn't even a fight between Odin and the Serpent.

Odin ran through the Serpent, his Worthy, AND his army while the Serpent was at his peak! FI Serpent wasn't at that level. Thanos wins.

iceman24567
Thanos muscled through a full Gungnir blast and attempted to wrestle Odin for control of the spear. Even after all that, Thanos wasn't dead or seriously injured.

No one is saying Thanos would have won but he did better vs Odin than Peak Serpent did. It wasn't even a fight between Odin and the Serpent.

Odin ran through the Serpent, his Worthy, AND his army while the Serpent was at his peak! FI Serpent wasn't at that level. Thanos wins. Yeah but Odin was in his Prime and iirc the Serpert was at his peak for that time period i highly doubt he was feeding on as much fear as he did in the present time.

zopzop
Yeah but Odin was in his Prime and iirc the Serpert was at his peak for that time period i highly doubt he was feeding on as much fear as he did in the present time.
The Serpent had his Worthy and entire army vs Odin and it still wasn't even a fight.

He (Odin) literally just THREW him (Serpent) into the ocean. Fight over.

Thanos did 100 times better than that.

Thanos wins.

iceman24567
The Serpent had his Worthy and entire army vs Odin and it still wasn't even a fight.

He (Odin) literally just THREW him (Serpent) into the ocean. Fight over.

Thanos did 100 times better than that.

Thanos wins. Nice job ignoring my point troll thumb up

leonidas
it's a dead heat imo. could go either way.

iceman24567
Originally posted by leonidas
it's a dead heat imo. could go either way. Anyway you look at it this fight isn't as clean cut as zop thinks

Silent Master
Of course he wasn't :
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7219/fight1213gr7.th.jpg

Thank you.

As everyone can see from the scan, there is zero mention of Odin going all out during the fight.

zopzop
Nice job ignoring my point troll thumb up
Get over yourself.

Where was it stated he was weakened back when Odin literally kicked him into the ocean?

FI Serpent was owned by Thor. Think about that.
Thank you.

As everyone can see from the scan, there is zero mention of Odin going all out during the fight.
Whatever.
Anyway you look at it this fight isn't as clean cut as zop thinks
Intelligence and cunning? Thanos.
Proven track record and character showings? Thanos.
Straight up power? Debatable but leaning toward Thanos because of his tech and sheer versatility.

Thanos wins.

Silent Master
It's the truth.

h1a8
Serpent>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Thanos

Anyone who can break Cap's shield can probably one shot Thanos.

ThereIsHope
I love how people still bring up someone who can hurt Galactus, and affect the multiverse cant beat or stalemates Thanos. Its fanboyism to the max.

Anyone is the serpent didnt do anything impressive I can at least be objective and say Thanos could indeed beat him.

iceman24567
Get over yourself.

Where was it stated he was weakened back when Odin literally kicked him into the ocean?

Whatever.

Intelligence and cunning? Thanos.
Proven track record and character showings? Thanos.
Straight up power? Debatable but leaning toward Thanos because of his tech and sheer versatility.

Thanos wins. Never said he was weakened good job comprehending a simple statement bro you must be the cream of the crop thumb up

ThereIsHope
Just to be clear on things. Zopzop is like quans disciple and thus kisses Thanos ass. So no matter who you put Thanos against, zopzop may just say Thanos sins.

But who knows, based on feats. Thanos may win this. Though Odin is a skyfather..............Thanos is not. Thus Odin beating Serpent doesnt really do nothing for Thanos. Cunning and all that crap doesnt really mean anything either since this isnt a prep fight. If we want to do a fight where cunning and intelligance comes into play we can just say Reed Richards could beat The Serpent or Dr Strange.

iceman24567
zop is actually sensible most of the time but whatevs erm

ThereIsHope
I think there is a part of our brains or some peoples brains, that act strange around certain things or beliefs. Its like believeving in leprechauns, yet at the same time believeing that the univeres is over 13 billion years old. You make sense one moment, its like your talking to someone from an alternate univeres.

I think Thanos does that to alot of people in here. Thanos vs whoever. OH WOW THANOS AUTOWIN. But why? CAUSE HE CANT DIE! Well neither can Lobo. BUT BUT HE'S THANOS! HE'S JUST SO DAMN SMART. Um well so is Reed Richards all his alternate versions took out the beyonder, and fixed there universes. BUT BUT HE BECAME GOD, AND HE GOT SO MANY AMAZING FEATS, THUS HE WINS. Well so does superman, does that mean Superman always wins, he's also never died I think. YEAH BUT DUDE...........ITS FREAKING THANOS!

Igniz
Originally posted by ThereIsHope
I think there is a part of our brains or some peoples brains, that act strange around certain things or beliefs. Its like believeving in leprechauns, yet at the same time believeing that the univeres is over 13 billion years old. You make sense one moment, its like your talking to someone from an alternate univeres.

I think Thanos does that to alot of people in here. Thanos vs whoever. OH WOW THANOS AUTOWIN. But why? CAUSE HE CANT DIE! Well neither can Lobo. BUT BUT HE'S THANOS! HE'S JUST SO DAMN SMART. Um well so is Reed Richards all his alternate versions took out the beyonder, and fixed there universes. BUT BUT HE BECAME GOD, AND HE GOT SO MANY AMAZING FEATS, THUS HE WINS. Well so does superman, does that mean Superman always wins, he's also never died I think. YEAH BUT DUDE...........ITS FREAKING THANOS!

You've never seen this thread before?

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=564365& amp;%20highlight=wbh+thanos+warrior+madness+thor+f
orumid%%3Cbr%20/%3E3A77

Here's what quan stated in that thread

Originally posted by quanchi112
Surtur wins.

Even though the title of the thread is WBH, Thanos & Warrior Madness Thor vs Surtur

I don't hate quan, but when he makes a mistake, it becomes a bundle of laughing out loud

As for this thread, the Serpent wins via being in the title of skyfather.But when it comes to showing, the Serpent is a bit lacking.

Damborgson

So was this other loser called Galactus.

zopzop
Originally posted by Damborgson
So was this other loser called Galactus.
Yeah while he was starving and had already engaged in a battle with a peer.

Plus Galactus is a notorious jobber. Appealing to him to make the Serpent look less sh|tty should be it's own logical fallacy "Appeal to Jobber".

Damborgson
Yeah while he was starving and had already engaged in a battle with a peer.

So was this other loser called Demogorge.

celeyhyga17
Thank you.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=4512662
I guess you can say he wasn't going "all out", but we can't just sit here and say he barely tried.

Slaanesh
probably Serpent..near the end of FI..i think it was stated that he had enough amp from the fear of everyone on Earth to take on Odin..and Odin is a bit more powerful than Thanos..my opinion does not take into account that Thor kill The Serpent..that Thor had the Odinsword and armor..who knows how much that amp him..

ThereIsHope
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=565168&pagenumber=2

Page two, quan says Thanos wins. Page one you can see what Thanos is up against.

zopzop
Originally posted by Damborgson
So was this other loser called Demogorge.
LOL, the Jobber Prince in training. Nice try though.

h1a8
So is Thanos face more durable than Cap's shield?

If not then Serpent breaks his face with ease then.

/thread.

Mindset
I agree with, h1a8.

He's a smart guy.

kgkg

Mindset
Because he wasn't.

psycho gundam

I think Thanos does that to alot of people in here. Thanos vs whoever. OH WOW THANOS AUTOWIN. But why? CAUSE HE CANT DIE! Well neither can Lobo. BUT BUT HE'S THANOS! HE'S JUST SO DAMN SMART. Um well so is Reed Richards all his alternate versions took out the beyonder, and fixed there universes. BUT BUT HE BECAME GOD, AND HE GOT SO MANY AMAZING FEATS, THUS HE WINS. Well so does superman, does that mean Superman always wins, he's also never died I think. YEAH BUT DUDE...........ITS FREAKING THANOS! This can be interpreted as thanos being a gestalt of lobo, reed richards, and superman

Good job on that slandering attempt thumb up

Silent Master

the ninjak
Thor was designed to kill the Serpent!!!!! The prophecy told the fact.

His killing him has no bearing on the powerlevels of the Serpent himself!

Odin feared him for the more fear he channeled the more powerful he got.
And before he achieved decent levels he had already created beings capable of putting the world's Marvels on edge.
After he put the Earth's population in fear he was confident he could defeat anyone. He shattered Cap's shield beforehand and unleashed his plans.

It's questionable that Stark's unique engineering skills (he created an armor capable of separating the Phoenix) creating weapons for the Avengers wouldn't have stopped the Earth from being razed.
But it's undeniable that Thor sacrificed himself to stop the Serpent itself.
Odin as usual blind to the fact that Thor can resurrect easily...oddly.

If Thor didn't face the Serpent. He could well have pushed his ventures into the cosmos and spread his fear resulting in him being unstoppable.

We will never know. Thor was his Kryptonite. And Thor put him down in such a way that no one else could have.

Thanos can't repeat such a feat, unless his Death Avatar status and power output can acheive such a win.

ThereIsHope
My attempt was to show that if thanos cant die and thus he wins by default. Or that he wins by default for high showins, and intellect so should other characters. Stop being a fanboy for once in your life.

h1a8
My attempt was to show that if thanos cant die and thus he wins by default. Or that he wins by default for high showins, and intellect so should other characters. Stop being a fanboy for once in your life.

1. Thanos can die, he's died before
2. Death isn't the only way to win.

pym-ftw
Calm down,

Why are you always trying to bait in quan? He hasn't even tried to post in here...

Thanos is generally considered the top trans to mid Skyfather for solid reasons, if you don't think he deserves the respect of that then show proof to the contrary and stop creating threads just to bash characters and posters...

Your a new name an whether or not you have been lurking for a bit or your a sock your only going to hurt your own credibility if you continue this Bs.

BTW everyone knows who trolls and who the knowledgeable posters are we don't need any help
raver

h1a8
Originally posted by pym-ftw
Calm down,

Why are you always trying to bait in quan? He hasn't even tried to post in here...

Thanos is generally considered the top trans to mid Skyfather for solid reasons, if you don't think he deserves the respect of that then show proof to the contrary and stop creating threads just to bash characters and posters...

Your a new name an whether or not you have been lurking for a bit or your a sock your only going to hurt your own credibility if you continue this Bs.

BTW everyone knows who trolls and who the knowledgeable posters are we don't need any help
raver

Thanos is on average 1.5-2 average high heralds in power.
3 high heralds would stomp him.

TheLordofMurder

TheLordofMurder
Because I've actually read more than one Odin related comic.

thumb up

pym-ftw
Originally posted by h1a8
Thanos is on average 1.5-2 average high heralds in power.
3 high heralds would stomp him.
Name 3 heralds who would beat him without using a zomg superspeed argument?

iceman24567
Name 3 heralds who would beat him without using a zomg superspeed argument? Superman, Superman and Superman

pym-ftw
Lol

KuRuPT Thanosi
Superman, Superman and Superman

would all go down in a few shots... next

ThereIsHope
No i dont think superman would go down in a few shots to Thanos, since he's defeated alot of very powerful apponents. Thus the premis is stupid He usually always comes back stronger or something.

pym-ftw
I don't think superman has ever fought apponent
whistle

Thanos can mind rape one into fighting for him though

h1a8
Name 3 heralds who would beat him without using a zomg superspeed argument?

Thor, SS, and Gladiator would stomp him.

KuRuPT Thanosi
no they wouldn't.. they would get one or two shot

ODG
Serpent wins.

kgkg

Silent Master
Originally posted by kgkg
So you have nothing.

I didn't realize that Odin's entire history = nothing.

kgkg

Silent Master

Damborgson
LOL, the Jobber Prince in training. Nice try though.

Hm? That didn't make any sense slop slop.

kgkg
Do I really need to mention Odin's fights against Galactuc, Forsung, Seth, Infinity, Surtur etc etc etc? Unless they answer my question don't bother.

Silent Master
So basically, you have zero knowledge of Odin.

kgkg
Nice Dodge

Silent Master
If you had any knowledge of Odin or the other charcters mentioned you wouldn't have had to ask if they were more impressive than the Thanos fight.

kgkg
If you had any knowledge of Odin or the other charcters mentioned you wouldn't have had to ask if they were more impressive than the Thanos fight. So are you going to tell me? I hope you remember the question at hand.

Odin fighting superior opponents has no baring on his failure to bring down Thanos who was too durable for Odin to put down. It's not like Thanos was only durable again Odin his durability has been shown time and time again.

Silent Master
The question at hand was whether or not Odin was going all out in his fight with Thanos, his performace in the fights I mentioned make the answer to that question rather obvious.

kgkg
The question at hand was whether or not Odin was going all out in his fight with Thanos, his performace in the fights I mentioned make the answer to that question rather obvious.

Silent Master

kgkg
Are you going to explain why Odin's fight with the ones you mentioned prove that he was holding back against Thanos or are you going to keep dodging?

Mindset
kgkg, stop trolling.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Odin was holding back against Thanos. What's there to dispute? He wasn't being gentle with him or anything, but he could have accessed a lot more power.

It's like Thanos fighting Base form Goku. Let's assume that Goku wins after a good, bloody fight; he wasn't pulling his punches but he didn't go Super either etc.

====

Serpent wins.

kgkg

Mindset
OK?

kgkg
kgkg, stop trolling. I can't help it sad

Okay it's sleep time

Mindset
I'll be over to tuck it in.

Rage.Of.Olympus

Silent Master
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Odin was holding back against Thanos. What's there to dispute? He wasn't being gentle with him or anything, but he could have accessed a lot more power.

It's like Thanos fighting Base form Goku. Let's assume that Goku wins after a good, bloody fight; he wasn't pulling his punches but he didn't go Super either etc.

====

Serpent wins.

He's already made it clear that he has zero knowledge of Odin, there is really no point in responding to him at this point.

curryman
I think there's a difference between holding back and going all out, that people seem to intentionally ignore.

Odin was definitely trying against Thanos, but he was still not going all out. In my opinion that is smile

ThereIsHope
If Odin had gone all out, Thanos would no longer exist.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
What baseless assumptions? Go read Simonson's run where Surtur goes out of his way to specifically prevent Odin from growing in size as he gets significantly more powerful in that form. Or you can even go further back to the Lee/Kirby era where Odin grows in power by draining the Odin Power that powers all of the Asgardian superhuman abilities, augmenting his might.

Or you can fast travel to Jurgen's run where it was clearly stated that a large part of the Odin Force resides in the land of Asgard itself, empowering and giving life to the nine worlds. Which touches back to Odin being able to draw power from Asgard as well such as he did against the Celestials.

These aren't baseless assumptions, it's fact.

Thanos got some praise, I'm happy for you, it was a good showing. Unfortunately, I know the Odin Power is significantly beyond him and that Odin has fought far more powerful entities. If this comic existed in a vacuum, you'd have a point, but it doesn't.

thumb up

TheLordofMurder
@kgkg

I wouldnt try to base my conclusions upon the statements made in that comic (you'd make a fool of yourself as that comic featured several lines of bad writing) as one of the ones you quoted is so blatantly wrong its laughable...

For example, you know the one where Odin praises Thanos saying that its been EONS since he faced such a foe?

Thats just plain bad writing as Odin has faced Surtur and Seth (among others) much more recently than eons ago and both of those guys actually were able to damage Odin and put up real resistance opposed to simply being beaten like a punching bag like Thanos was...

ThereIsHope
I dont know why Odin exerting himself means that Thanos gave him trouble. If Odin had gone all out, Thanos would be ashes.

vince_slice
Kgkg is defending Thanos? How dare he! Everyone Lynch him!

TheLordofMurder
I dont know why Odin exerting himself means that Thanos gave him trouble. If Odin had gone all out, Thanos would be ashes.

thumb up

bbrem123
not gonna lie kgkg has good points here

Silent Master
Originally posted by bbrem123
not gonna lie kgkg has good points here

What would those points be?

kgkg

ODG

vince_slice
Classic false dichotomy. Odin didn't amp off off Asgard, therefore we automatically assume he was holding back and wasn't trying against Thanos.

Things aren't that black and white, there's such a thing as a middle ground like curryman said:
Originally posted by curryman
I think there's a difference between holding back and going all out, that people seem to intentionally ignore.

Odin was definitely trying against Thanos, but he was still not going all out. In my opinion that is smile

Odin wasn't going all out, but its obvious from the narration and the art that Odin was pouring progressively more effort and energy into trying to put Thanos down. Clearly he was trying.

ODG
Originally posted by vince_slice
Classic false dichotomy. Odin didn't amp off off Asgard, therefore we automatically assume he was holding back and wasn't trying against Thanos. Dumb strawman. Not only did you misinterpret me, you didn't even bother to address the entirety of my statements. But I guess that was intentional. It's also a stinging indictment against your naysaying. Originally posted by vince_slice
Things aren't that black and white, there's such a thing as a middle ground like curryman said:

Odin wasn't going all out, but its obvious from the narration and the art that Odin was pouring progressively more effort and energy into trying to put Thanos down. Clearly he was trying. He was trying. And was still holding back. Because he didn't approach anywhere near his full power as he did in MANY other fights.

Some effort =/= real consterned effort. That's the false dichotomy that is being peddled here.

ThereIsHope
Odin has affected the multiverse, yet they claim he was going all out against Thanos. How does that work?

Silent Master
Odin has affected the multiverse, yet they claim he was going all out against Thanos. How does that work?

Quan is their queen, they'll believe anything that she says.

ThereIsHope
I guess that remark he made about homosexuals will never go away.

leonidas
the thanos/odin fight was so strange in so many ways. i feel odin was holding back, but just not as much as some seem to believe. it was something of a mismatch though imo as odin, at no point in that battle, ever appeared to be in any danger--at all. he just kind of seemed unable/unwilling to put thanos down for good--or quickly. but why not? why actively hold back? makes no sense to me, but i do think he held back to a certain degree.

as for this fight--i've thought about it and looking back at some of the serpent stuff, i do think serpent would definitely take thanos. the comments of mephisto were pretty telling as he described the way the serpent harnessed the power of fear to make himself powerful. true he didn't really have the feats, but in this case i'll go with implied power and writer intent over displayed feats.

h1a8
P1: Serpent broke Cap's shield
P2: Thanos face is less durable than Cap's shield
C: Serpent will easily break Thanos face.

janus77
I don't recall Thanos having any desire to attack/beat Odin, just try and "reason" with him by letting him vent his anger in a tussle.

Odin was pretty pissed off and attacked with some ferocity, but it wasn't a headbutt so we know for certain he was holding something in reserve.

on topic, Thanos should win this comfortably. He's durable enough to withstand The Serpent's attacks (as he did Odin's more powerful barrage) and his own offensive powers (when utilised) are more than capable of rocking TS.

On top of that, Thanos is by far a better strategist, tactician, fighter and also more experienced in battling against superior forces/beings.

h1a8
Originally posted by janus77
I don't recall Thanos having any desire to attack/beat Odin, just try and "reason" with him by letting him vent his anger in a tussle.

Odin was pretty pissed off and attacked with some ferocity, but it wasn't a headbutt so we know for certain he was holding something in reserve.

on topic, Thanos should win this comfortably. He's durable enough to withstand The Serpent's attacks (as he did Odin's more powerful barrage) and his own offensive powers (when utilised) are more than capable of rocking TS.

On top of that, Thanos is by far a better strategist, tactician, fighter and also more experienced in battling against superior forces/beings.

Thano's durability isn't beyond Cap's shield so he won't be withstanding any of the Serpent's attacks.

zopzop
Thano's durability isn't beyond Cap's shield so he won't be withstanding any of the Serpent's attacks.
laughing

leonidas

as for this fight--i've thought about it and looking back at some of the serpent stuff, i do think serpent would definitely take thanos. the comments of mephisto were pretty telling as he described the way the serpent harnessed the power of fear to make himself powerful. true he didn't really have the feats, but in this case i'll go with implied power and writer intent over displayed feats.

oorrrrrr..........

P1: Serpent broke Cap's shield
P2: Thanos face is less durable than Cap's shield
C: Serpent will easily break Thanos face.

thumb up

vince_slice
Originally posted by ODG
Dumb strawman. Not only did you misinterpret me, you didn't even bother to address the entirety of my statements. But I guess that was intentional. It's also a stinging indictment against your naysaying.
Couple of things, firstly my post wasn't necessarily aimed at you (otherwise I would've quoted you), it was aimed at some the arguements made in this thread in general.

Secondly, I didn't address your statements because they were aimed at kgkg, not me.

He was "trying and holding back"...sounds very oxymoronic to me. Using the word "holding back" clearly means that Odin wasn't putting effort or trying to put Thanos down, which is downright wrong. Just because Odin didn't tap into the absolute height of all his power in no way mean's he "held back" it simply means he didn't tap into his full power. To describe that as "holding back" is downright misleading. Then again, my definition of "holding back" probably differs.

It's indisputable that the art and narration showcase Odin putting more and more effort and energy into trying to put Thanos down.

e.g., Thanos no-sold the first blast, got staggered by the other two, sent flying by the Gungnir blast, and the last blast nearly destroyed Asgard. Clearly this shows an escalation in power used by Odin. Does that sound like "holding back"? Not to me it doesn't.

Besides Odin commenting on tapping into infinite power, Odin also expressed surprise that Thanos still breathed. The very fact alone tells us Odin intended to kill or incapaciate Thanos. What happens when your initial attacks don't work? You attack harder, and harder until they're down, and that's exactly what Odin did.

Saying he "held back" is the most inaccurate way of describing that fight.

kgkg

Silent Master
Yes, let's just ignore all the fights where Odin showed far more power than he did against Thanos.

kgkg
Yes, let's just ignore all the fights where Odin showed far more power than he did against Thanos. Showed more power?Please enlighten me. I really hope you don't fall back to galaxies were destroyed and the multiverse was shook. Because there are more fights were Odin fails and dies where there is less collateral damage than his fight against Thanos.

Silent Master
IOW, no matter what I show you, you'll just discount it.

TheLordofMurder
@kgkg

Odin has gone all out; against the 4th Celestial Host...

Of course in that instance he used a weapon that was strongest than the Sceptre of Power; the Oversword of Asgard...

Of course that weapon was destroyed by Arishem during the battle leaving the Spectre of Power as his most powerful artifact...

kgkg
Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
@kgkg

Odin has gone all out; against the 4th Celestial Host...

Of course in that instance he used a weapon that was strongest than the Sceptre of Power; the Oversword of Asgard...

Of course that weapon was destroyed by Arishem during the battle leaving the Spectre of Power as his most powerful artifact... I have already address these issues.

Odin not using these weapon in a battle not does not mean he is holding back this has been showcased in many comics Odin fights in.

Are you trying to say that ODIN has to be HOLDING BACK if he is not using these weapons? ARE YOU?

h1a8
Character's power levels aren't static in comics. I guess that's why we average them.

Odin has appeared very powerful and very weak in comics.
The Odin who fought Seth would probably one shot Thanos. The Odin who marched against Mangog would probably get beat by Thanos.

Remember writer's differ on character's power level and that's why we can find so many contradictions in comics.

leonidas
Originally posted by kgkg
I have already address these issues.

Odin not using these weapon in a battle not does not mean he is holding back this has been showcased in many comics Odin fights in.

Are you trying to say that ODIN has to be HOLDING BACK if he is not using these weapons? ARE YOU?

hey bro, been a while. smile

i can see your point and actually agree with you to a certain degree. i really hate this odin/thanos battle. is it your stance that odin was going all out here?

leonidas
Character's power levels aren't static in comics.

qft. thumb up

it's why we don't use just high OR low feats. the question isn't has odin shown in the past that he is capable of extering more power than he did against thanos, the question is how often has he done so and how regularly.

i don't think anyone (well, almost anyone....) would suggest thanos=odin when it was crystal clear he was not. but i wonder--to those who feel he held back, HOW MUCH do you feel he kept in reserve? had he been going all out at the start, could he have ko'd thanos? that would imply he held back A LOT. what percentage do you feel odin was operating at, if you can put a number on it....?

personally, i'd say he started around 50-60% and ended up around 80% or so, given his more standard ("averaged"wink appearances. of course the numbers are purely speculatory, but they may serve to create a different dialogue where we can see how far apart everyone actually is on this battle.....

janus77
I don't see why it must necessarily be "holding back" OR "going all out", wrt the Thanos/Odin "battle".

Just because Galactus doesn't consume the whole universe doesn't mean he isn't going all out when he fights The Galactus Engine or even when he's fighting T&A, but it is indisputable that he can and has amped from consuming the universe (BCA).

Odin exists both as part of a force that animates and empowers a kingdom AND as an independent and powerful entity manifesting a large portion of that same force.

He can be trying really hard to beat someone up, without being willing to go "all out" and basically wind down Asgard just so that he can rock Thanos.

Similar to how Galactus decided not to carry on his confrontation with The Phoenix Force, because the cost would be too high in terms of energy expended and in terms of pay-off (there wasn't enough at stake to make him waste that much energy).

Or, at the other end of the scale, like how Batman doesn't kill but still doesn't go easy on Joker or any of his quarry.

KuRuPT Thanosi
qft. thumb up

it's why we don't use just high OR low feats. the question isn't has odin shown in the past that he is capable of extering more power than he did against thanos, the question is how often has he done so and how regularly.

i don't think anyone (well, almost anyone....) would suggest thanos=odin when it was crystal clear he was not. but i wonder--to those who feel he held back, HOW MUCH do you feel he kept in reserve? had he been going all out at the start, could he have ko'd thanos? that would imply he held back A LOT. what percentage do you feel odin was operating at, if you can put a number on it....?

personally, i'd say he started around 50-60% and ended up around 80% or so, given his more standard ("averaged"wink appearances. of course the numbers are purely speculatory, but they may serve to create a different dialogue where we can see how far apart everyone actually is on this battle.....

My number wouldn't be a little higher... Like Janus posted above.. I don't think he needs to be shacking the multiverse to say he's putting forth great effort. The narration makes it clear that he felt Thanos wa a worth foe.. In fact, it says he hasn't fought somebody like this in eons.. He goes on to talk about how Thanos has a power reserve almost as infinite as his own. These words seem to indicate he was giving Odin a run for his money. To expand on that, Thor has tanked blasts from Odin before..so have other heraldish being without being KO'd. Odin proceeded to one shot Drax and Surfer with ease. That seems to indicate to me he was pissed and putting forth a good amount of effort. Afterall they were invading asgard and perceived as threats.. and holding his son hostage.. Seems likely he would put forth effort.

That said, if made to put numbers on it... I would say about 70-75% at the start and anywhere between 80-90% at it finish. there is no doubt in my mind Odin could've got more effort forth and raised the stakes. I also believe he was trying to put Thanos down and putting forth good effort to do so.

Silent Master
That would explain why Odin looked and sounded so exhausted after the fight.

leonidas
i can certainly live with that. thumb up

vince_slice
qft. thumb up

Careful, you're going to be called a Thanos fanboy for even suggesting Odin used more than 1% of his power, let alone 50 to 70%.

kgkg
hey bro, been a while. smile

i can see your point and actually agree with you to a certain degree. i really hate this odin/thanos battle. is it your stance that odin was going all out here? Hey what up Leo how you been? Are you still teaching? Remember those silly Gladiator vs Thread damn man.

Yep I think he was going all out based on their fight nothing about that fight showed Odin was holding back. Odin compliment Thanos's power and that he hasn't fought someone like him in EONS imo this clearly shows that the writer didn't indented this to be holding back..good guy Odin. I mean in that same issue- Odin was one shooting the likes of Surfer and this was before he pulled Gungnir and Surfer has survived against similar opponents a lot longer.

You also have to remember that Adam Warlock says that Thanos's power had never been fully tested and he wasn't sure on the outcome of this battle.

I think people assume automatically that Odin had to be holding back because he is suppose to be so much more powerful than Thanos. I don't mind people assuming that he was holding back and it could very well be the case but there no PROOF of that.

Branlor Swift
Somebody contrast the Odin/Serpent fight with the Odin/Thanos fight. I think that would be fair for this thread

shifty

h1a8
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Somebody contrast the Odin/Serpent fight with the Odin/Thanos fight. I think that would be fair for this thread

shifty
laughing out loud
Somebody contrast Cap's shield vs. Thanos face. I think that would be fair for this thread

Branlor Swift
laughing out loud
Somebody contrast Cap's shield vs. Thanos face. I think that would be fair for this thread By feats?

Yeah sure, somebody do that too

Stranglehold300
Thanos gets stomped like a red haired step daughter at WalMart...

KuRuPT Thanosi
What are the feats of Serpent that make people believe he beats Thanos again?

h1a8
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi

Him breaking Cap's shield which is more durable than Thanos face.

ODG
Originally posted by vince_slice
Couple of things, firstly my post wasn't necessarily aimed at you (otherwise I would've quoted you), it was aimed at some the arguements made in this thread in general.

Secondly, I didn't address your statements because they were aimed at kgkg, not me. Oh. My bads. Originally posted by vince_slice
He was "trying and holding back"...sounds very oxymoronic to me. Using the word "holding back" clearly means that Odin wasn't putting effort or trying to put Thanos down No, it doesn't. Going easy on Thanos would have that connotation. Nobody ever said Odin was going easy on Thanos. Originally posted by vince_slice
which is downright wrong. Just because Odin didn't tap into the absolute height of all his power in no way mean's he "held back" it simply means he didn't tap into his full power. To describe that as "holding back" is downright misleading. Then again, my definition of "holding back" probably differs. It differs. Originally posted by vince_slice
It's indisputable that the art and narration showcase Odin putting more and more effort and energy into trying to put Thanos down.

e.g., Thanos no-sold the first blast, got staggered by the other two, sent flying by the Gungnir blast, and the last blast nearly destroyed Asgard. Clearly this shows an escalation in power used by Odin. Does that sound like "holding back"? Not to me it doesn't. Not anywhere near the effort he shows in fights where he goes all out though.

And that's holding back to me. Originally posted by vince_slice
Besides Odin commenting on tapping into infinite power, Odin also expressed surprise that Thanos still breathed. The very fact alone tells us Odin intended to kill or incapaciate Thanos. What happens when your initial attacks don't work? You attack harder, and harder until they're down, and that's exactly what Odin did.

Saying he "held back" is the most inaccurate way of describing that fight. If I rammed a small child's head into the wall I might also express surprise that he's alive despite not using anywhere near my full strength. And just because I might escalate my attempts to break his head open doesn't mean I'd be spending serious effort doing so.

Not really.

ODG

h1a8
Holding back- Not using one's full capacity when it is possible to do so.

The debate shouldn't be about whether Odin was holding back (he was) but rather by how much.

kgkg

kgkg
Holding back- Not using one's full capacity when it is possible to do so.

The debate shouldn't be about whether Odin was holding back (he was) but rather by how much. Do the math H1!

ThereIsHope
He can basically hold planets in his hands like in Thor Second series. He can affect the multiverse. He can absorb all of asgard into himself. So basically he was holding back.........................ALOT

ODG

kgkg

ODG

Bentley
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi

He is able to use wood against Thanos.

wildernesss
Thanos has the combination of intelligence, willpower, and feats that the Serpent fantasizes about while whining about Odin. Serpent's only impressive feat was breaking steve's shield; and he was probably using magic. He was subsequently curb stomped by Odin.

Thanos wins this. they don't belong in the same sentence. Thanos is on another level.

h1a8
Originally posted by wildernesss
Thanos has the combination of intelligence, willpower, and feats that the Serpent fantasizes about while whining about Odin. Serpent's only impressive feat was breaking steve's shield; and he was probably using magic. He was subsequently curb stomped by Odin.

Thanos wins this. they don't belong in the same sentence. Thanos is on another level.

He was curbed by Odin eons ago. Current Serpent should be more powerful because of the fear he caused the world right?

Doesn't matter as Serpent breaking Cap's shield is proof enough. I don't think Thanos face is as durable, do you?

Mindset
Serpent > Cap's shield > Thanos' face.

Canon.

wildernesss

Canon.

By your logic, the Serpent should have broken Thor's face (in the finale of FI) and Odin's face (prior to this); but he couldn't achieve either feat. Unfortunately for Serpent, Thanos defensive/protective abilities are second to none (even above thor's). Thanos has dropped thor's hammer (thrown at him with full force) with a gesture. Thanos has tanked a fulled powered attack from Galactus. The Serpent wouldn't even get close enough to Thanos, let alone penetrate his mystically/technologically based force fields/shields. More importatnly, the Serpent doesn't have the MIND to defeat someone like thanos. he next to zero on panel fighting feats. Lastly, he's uber lame to the point that he stinks of a terribly feeble plot from a soap opera on the verge of cancellation.

serpent is beneath thanos contempt and thus only one feat is neccessary to illustrate just how feeble that feat is in context

- thanos defeated the champion while he was in possession of the power gem. if brute force was the deciding factor in a battle with thanos....champion would have won

curryman
Unfortunately for Serpent, Thanos defensive/protective abilities are second to none (even above thor's).

Time to step away from the computer smile

janus77
Thor didn't invent Mjolnir, Cap didn't invent the shield, Batman didn't invent buggery...

Galactus does state that the UN is a fundamental part of him. And demonstrates his point too (iirc).

wildernesss
Originally posted by curryman
Time to step away from the computer smile

Did you even read Thanos Quest? Thanos shields are superior to thor's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnyVE1go2vs

the serpent is the sandwich in the video; he seemed impressive at first, due to editorial implication....but ultimately, he was eaten....

h1a8
By your logic, the Serpent should have broken Thor's face (in the finale of FI) and Odin's face (prior to this); but he couldn't achieve either feat. Unfortunately for Serpent, Thanos defensive/protective abilities are second to none (even above thor's). Thanos has dropped thor's hammer (thrown at him with full force) with a gesture. Thanos has tanked a fulled powered attack from Galactus. The Serpent wouldn't even get close enough to Thanos, let alone penetrate his mystically/technologically based force fields/shields. More importatnly, the Serpent doesn't have the MIND to defeat someone like thanos. he next to zero on panel fighting feats. Lastly, he's uber lame to the point that he stinks of a terribly feeble plot from a soap opera on the verge of cancellation.

serpent is beneath thanos contempt and thus only one feat is neccessary to illustrate just how feeble that feat is in context

- thanos defeated the champion while he was in possession of the power gem. if brute force was the deciding factor in a battle with thanos....champion would have won

Did Serpent even hit Odin or Thor in the face? Even if he did then we can simply argue that he didn't use the same force against their face as he did the shield. Common sense.

We are actually arguing Thanos from the comic book. That means Thanos would use his shields less than 10% of the time. Hell, current Thanos ( the one that gets weighted more since we argue current characters) doesn't really use shields that much anymore. He gets hit far more often, even by wood. Thor is much more proficient at blocking energy beams (IMO more than 50%). Thor has created stronger shields right?

Anyway, Thor didn't throw the hammer at full force and it still took Thanos more than several feet to stop it (he couldn't stop it instantly). Thor can actually throw the hammer at 2x the speed of light at his best. So Imagine if Thor actually threw it harder. Just because Glads busted a planet doesn't mean that everytime you see him hit someone in comics that he is hitting them with planet busting punches. Agreed?

Thanos defeated Champion by bfr which is not applicable here. This statement was your worst, logically, as.

leonidas

Canon.

qft.

kgkg

ODG

Mindset

- thanos defeated the champion while he was in possession of the power gem. if brute force was the deciding factor in a battle with thanos....champion would have won That's not my logic, it's simply a fact that I have informed you of.

Canon.

Branlor Swift
That's it, I can't contain it anymore

Odin before he merged with his brothers vs the Serpent when he had the entire planet to feed off of
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m610/sonnendawg/MightyThor07pg19.jpg
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m610/sonnendawg/MightyThor07pg20.jpg

shifty

Mindset
Damn, Serpent hit Odin so hard the backlash sent him flying.

Serpent 10/10.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>