Conan (2011)Vs Achilles

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dolos
We have the scene where Achilles kills a dozen soldiers whilst sprinting past arrow hail, then decapitating a bronze statue, then making an "impossible" throw killing a man with his spear...after that there is no reason to doubt he couldn't have killed Hector with some difficulty and won the war for Aggamenon. There were warriors physically stronger than him, Ajax and Boagrius, and he could probably kill them all the same. Just wasn't in the same realm of any other warrior.

As with Conan he had moments of super strength, like when he pulled the incredibly heavy chain and knocked out a horse. He beat guys bigger and almost as strong as him, but they were a lot heavier. He won a fight against inhuman creatures before being paralyzed by a poisoned dagger whilst fighting a very very dangerous warrior, and he put up a hell of a fight. Later he beat that same man in a awesome display of technical skill. Though he did slug through other fights before that final fight, kinda like Hector vs Ajax, Achilles never really slugged through a fight - Achilles ususally dominated. :/

Achilles has upgraded to Conan age weaponry, that means steel. They both have their full set. Conan with a shield, because that blade he used should be more capable wielded one handed along with a shield. Achilles has no spear this time.

Mindset
Achilles beats the shit outta him.

Dolos
Note Conan has a lot of physical strength, greater than Boagrius by a wide margin I would say, combined with a more agile physique and skill pretty much equal to Hector.

As far as killer instinct goes, they are equals. Conan might even be a little more brutal in a blood lust.

Honestly it's a much larger challenge than Hector was. eek!

Ascendancy
Achilles. He literally only had one point of weakness and only by the hand of the gods did an arrow find its way there.

Mindset
Originally posted by Dolos
Note Conan has a lot of physical strength, greater than Boagrius by a wide margin I would say, combined with a more agile physique and skill pretty much equal to Hector.

As far as killer instinct goes, they are equals. Conan might even be a little more brutal in a blood lust.

Honestly it's a much larger challenge than Hector was. eek! Hector wasn't a challenge at all.

Achilles is faster, more agile, and a better fighter.

Dolos
Originally posted by Mindset
Hector wasn't a challenge at all.

Achilles is faster, more agile, and a better fighter.

I would call Achilles' method of combat 'funk'. It's a bunch of risky shit. Hector and Conan were all 'nothing fansy'...well, maybe not Conan so much he was pretty fansy with his swordplay at times...but he stuck to what he had practiced for the most part, Achilles did crazy shit, like sprinting, leaping, twirling to weirdass insta-kills, he was willing to just do something crazy to end the fight quick.

Achilles' fansy foot-work had him in a superior position the whole fight EXCEPT the part when his armor got scratched, he screwed up with that funk and Hector just took advantage of his superior position. Conan has a LOT more staying power than both Hector and Achilles, and has more powerful form than Hector, I'd say his physicality is just as solid as Achilles', he just isn't as innovative with the funkiness that Achilles tries.

Mindset
Achilles was toying with Hector.

You know what happens when he doesn't?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxktwqvaIj1qm4heyo1_500.gif

Dolos
He was not going easy on Hector AT ALL. He was as much in his zone as he was against Boagrius and any other time he fought for real.

He was toying with his cousin in a sparring match with wood swords, that's it.

His funky move was snatching a physically spent Hector's spear with a crazy twirl, then stabbing him through the shoulder with it. And he was getting a little worked at that point.

With Boagrius, the man simply didn't see it coming and the fight was over before it began.

Mindset
He was drawing out Hector's punishment.

That was apparent.

With Boagrius, the fight wasn't personal, he just wanted to kill him and go home.

Lord Lucien
He certainly wasn't taxed with Hector. He had a close call or two, but as for being pushed to anywhere near the limits of skill or endurance, not even close.

Dolos
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
He certainly wasn't taxed with Hector. He had a close call or two, but as for being pushed to anywhere near the limits of skill or endurance, not even close.

I didn't say taxed, I said he was starting to get a little worked. Hector was soundly spent.

Dolos
He was drawing out Hector's punishment.

That was apparent.

With Boagrius, the fight wasn't personal, he just wanted to kill him and go home.

What makes you think he was toying with him? At best you can argue he wanted to beat Hector on equal terms, as he did throw his shield when Hector lost his...but I'd also like to point out that he might have been worried Hector would have been at far more of a disadvantage without his shield...whereas before when Hector lost his spear Achilles didn't relent at all...nothing to suggest that starting out Achilles wasn't in the same mindset he was any other time, set out to kill everyone in front of him in the quickest way possible.

Mindset
What makes you think he was toying with him? At best you can argue he wanted to beat Hector on equal terms, as he did throw his shield when Hector lost his...but I'd also like to point out that he might have been worried Hector would have been at far more of a disadvantage without his shield...whereas before when Hector lost his spear Achilles didn't relent at all...nothing to suggest that starting out Achilles wasn't in the same mindset he was any other time, set out to kill everyone in front of him in the quickest way possible. Because he was stalking him like a lion does its prey then when he got pissed he made him his *****.

Canon.

You can't seriously believe he was trying to kill Hector as quick as possible, did you even watch the fight? He could have killed Hector when the guy tripped over a rock.

Dolos
Because he was stalking him like a lion does its prey then when he got pissed he made him his *****.

Canon.

You can't seriously believe he was trying to kill Hector as quick as possible, did you even watch the fight? He could have killed Hector when the guy tripped over a rock.

True... erm

Maybe he was drawing Hector out, then when his armor got scratched shit got real...then when Hector fell Achilles was like..."ah man, really?" Then threw his shield away.

the ninjak
Achilles wins this no problem.

FrothByte
What makes you think he was toying with him? At best you can argue he wanted to beat Hector on equal terms, as he did throw his shield when Hector lost his...but I'd also like to point out that he might have been worried Hector would have been at far more of a disadvantage without his shield...whereas before when Hector lost his spear Achilles didn't relent at all...nothing to suggest that starting out Achilles wasn't in the same mindset he was any other time, set out to kill everyone in front of him in the quickest way possible.

"I won't let a stone steal my glory". Achilles did say something like that didn't he? He could have easily killed Hector then, but he told him to get up and fight him again. He even threw away his shield to make the fight more even. You don't do these things if you want t finish the fight as fast as possible. Meaning Achilles wanted to draw it out.

Also you notice in most of their fight, Achilles would deliver a blow then strike a pose. Deliver a blow then strike another pose. You really think that was Achilles going for the kill? He was toying with Hector. Or if "toying" seems to be too strong a word then let's say he was trying to "punish" Hector by drawing out the fight and him savoring it.

Not sparring like he did with his cousin, but definitely not going for an immediate kill.

When Hector finally scratched Achilles' armor, Hector grazed his armor with a wild swing and hardly damaged Achilles armor. I don't see why this is seen as a low showing for Achilles. He went to war and all he suffered was a scratch on his armor?

Conan in comparison suffered multiple hits. Besides, it's irrelevant on how strong Conan is. Achilles didn't win his fights by overpowering his opponents. Achilles would just jump around him and use superior skill to kill him.

BruceSkywalker
maybe if you gave him his feats from game of thrones.. lol anyhoo.. Achilles stomps

Lord Lucien
I didn't say taxed I didn't say you said taxed.

Dolos
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
I didn't say you said taxed.

He was sweaty, his heartbeat was up, he was taking deeper breaths. Imagine a warmup before practice for a high school sport.

Lord Lucien
I had a dog named segue.

quanchi112
Achilles whips his ass.

Newjak
Originally posted by FrothByte
"I won't let a stone steal my glory". Achilles did say something like that didn't he? He could have easily killed Hector then, but he told him to get up and fight him again. He even threw away his shield to make the fight more even. You don't do these things if you want t finish the fight as fast as possible. Meaning Achilles wanted to draw it out.

Also you notice in most of their fight, Achilles would deliver a blow then strike a pose. Deliver a blow then strike another pose. You really think that was Achilles going for the kill? He was toying with Hector. Or if "toying" seems to be too strong a word then let's say he was trying to "punish" Hector by drawing out the fight and him savoring it.

Not sparring like he did with his cousin, but definitely not going for an immediate kill.

When Hector finally scratched Achilles' armor, Hector grazed his armor with a wild swing and hardly damaged Achilles armor. I don't see why this is seen as a low showing for Achilles. He went to war and all he suffered was a scratch on his armor?

Conan in comparison suffered multiple hits. Besides, it's irrelevant on how strong Conan is. Achilles didn't win his fights by overpowering his opponents. Achilles would just jump around him and use superior skill to kill him. Just because he didn't want to take advantage off a random event doesn't mean he wasn't going all out with Hector before and after.

It just means that he felt his glory would have been tainted he had used it to his advantage.

For instance I could be fighting someone and going all out, but if they trip on something and I let them get back up doesn't mean I was going easy on them before that happened.

Honestly I think Achilles was going all out. Even seems to have a surprise moment on his face when Hector manages to slice his armor.

It was just Hector was out of his league and could only last so long against Achilles before falling.

Mindset
Originally posted by Newjak
Just because he didn't want to take advantage off a random event doesn't mean he wasn't going all out with Hector before and after.

It just means that he felt his glory would have been tainted he had used it to his advantage.

For instance I could be fighting someone and going all out, but if they trip on something and I let them get back up doesn't mean I was going easy on them before that happened.

Honestly I think Achilles was going all out. Even seems to have a surprise moment on his face when Hector manages to slice his armor.

It was just Hector was out of his league and could only last so long against Achilles before falling. I disagree, if you take the context of the fight it seems like Achilles wanted to draw out Hector's defeat(embarrassment) in front of his family and friends for revenge, he did not want to end it quickly. He was stalking his prey and playing with it before finally pouncing. Like Achilles said, "There are no pacts between lions and men."

I think the fact that Hector sliced his armor actually lends credence to my assertion, because after that Achilles took him more seriously and ended the fight shortly after. Hell, even after that Achilles was still just dancing around him with ease.

Anyway, Achilles was comfortably above Hector in every regard and would beat Conan.

Dolos
I disagree, if you take the context of the fight it seems like Achilles wanted to draw out Hector's defeat(embarrassment) in front of his family and friends for revenge, he did not want to end it quickly. He was stalking his prey and playing with it before finally pouncing. Like Achilles said, "There are no pacts between lions and men."

I think the fact that Hector sliced his armor actually lends credence to my assertion, because after that Achilles took him more seriously and ended the fight shortly after. Hell, even after that Achilles was still just dancing around him with ease.

Anyway, Achilles was comfortably above Hector in every regard and would beat Conan.

I'd actually think he was fighting to his full ability. Hector tripped, that could have happened to Achilles and it would have ended the fight because Hector would not have given him the same chance to get up because he was simply concerned about surviving. But Achilles wanted the glory. If it was written down that Achilles killed Hector after tripping, that would have made Achilles out to be a coward...does that make sense?

Beyond THAT, Achilles wasn't concerned about the onlookers and he was not trying to torment anyone, he was angry, and wanted to avenge his cousin, but he wasn't mocking Hector or dancing around him or anything, that's just what it looked like. Achilles' cruel words about lions and men was just an inflated ego, his even crueler words about screwing up Hector's eternal afterlife was his diluded mind, misguided hatred for the death of his cousin, a death that left him more conflicted than you realize judging by your assessment of how he was fighting all cocky, he was out to kill, and wasn't feeling, he just thought of himself as a lion his whole life. "I was born, and this is what I am." He was in a baaad place metnally, he wasn't being cocky or braizen during the fight.

Achilles fought like that by nature, as I said before, he fought funky...but he pulled it off 100% of the time.

Wolfgang himself claimed that his Achilles was a stylized fighter, he stalked his prey, he pounced, because his methods were pure swag. He did move and react like a human lion.

Though Comic Book Conan could kill him...sad

Mindset
I bet you wont say that to my face.

Dolos
I bet you wont say that to my face.

Say what? confused

I did not once even remotely insult you.

-very confused face-

Mindset
That you love me.

Dolos
Are you talking about my sig?

I wouldn't tell a random stranger that I love/him her. The sig implies being quick to show kindness, it's not love as in gayness or anything.

EDIT You know what the sig does sound pretty gay, I'm takin git down.

Mindset
"I have come to the conclusion that this world is a wretched place, filled with horrors beyond imagining. Thus I have found that other people are not the problem, their hatred is misguided fear. I am quick to love, quick to show compassion, because any moment could be our last."

It's here forever.

Dolos
You are a very sick person, you know that?

lol

Mindset
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc8ra6jpzo1qgcra2o1_500.gif

FrothByte
I'd actually think he was fighting to his full ability. Hector tripped, that could have happened to Achilles and it would have ended the fight because Hector would not have given him the same chance to get up because he was simply concerned about surviving. But Achilles wanted the glory. If it was written down that Achilles killed Hector after tripping, that would have made Achilles out to be a coward...does that make sense?

Beyond THAT, Achilles wasn't concerned about the onlookers and he was not trying to torment anyone, he was angry, and wanted to avenge his cousin, but he wasn't mocking Hector or dancing around him or anything, that's just what it looked like. Achilles' cruel words about lions and men was just an inflated ego, his even crueler words about screwing up Hector's eternal afterlife was his diluded mind, misguided hatred for the death of his cousin, a death that left him more conflicted than you realize judging by your assessment of how he was fighting all cocky, he was out to kill, and wasn't feeling, he just thought of himself as a lion his whole life. "I was born, and this is what I am." He was in a baaad place metnally, he wasn't being cocky or braizen during the fight.

Achilles fought like that by nature, as I said before, he fought funky...but he pulled it off 100% of the time.

Wolfgang himself claimed that his Achilles was a stylized fighter, he stalked his prey, he pounced, because his methods were pure swag. He did move and react like a human lion.

Though Comic Book Conan could kill him...sad

Disagree. When you watch the fight again, you'll notice that Achilles pauses and poses after some of the hits he does. Like he goes:

Spear jab
pause and pose
Sword slash
pause and pose
Shield bash
run around hector

Those are not the actions of a man who seems to want to end the fight as quickly as possible. Sure I'd agree that Achilles was taking Hector seriously, but I do not think he was trying to end the fight fast, otherwise he would have pressed his attack everytime Hector was stunned from his more powerful attacks. But in most of their fight, every time hector is stunned, Achilles takes that opportunity to strike a pose or walk/run around Hector. Just goes to prove that he really was taking his time with Hector.

Mindset
Originally posted by FrothByte
Disagree. When you watch the fight again, you'll notice that Achilles pauses and poses after some of the hits he does. Like he goes:

Spear jab
pause and pose
Sword slash
pause and pose
Shield bash
run around hector

Those are not the actions of a man who seems to want to end the fight as quickly as possible. Sure I'd agree that Achilles was taking Hector seriously, but I do not think he was trying to end the fight fast, otherwise he would have pressed his attack everytime Hector was stunned from his more powerful attacks. But in most of their fight, every time hector is stunned, Achilles takes that opportunity to strike a pose or walk/run around Hector. Just goes to prove that he really was taking his time with Hector. thumb up

Ascendancy
It's also been noted that in the context of the original story it is made clear that Achilles was both always in control of the fight and was favored by the gods to win the day.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.