Fellowship vs. Gladiators

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FrothByte
Fellowship of the Ring composed of:

Aragorn
Legolas
Gimli
Boromir

vs.

Swords and sandals warriors:

Maximus
Achilles
Leonidas
Conan (2011)

Everyone is armed with uniform sword and shield, with an extra sword belted to their waists so they have an option of dropping their shield and wielding dual swords instead or simply that they have an extra sword handy.

No one is wearing armor, simply loincloths. Fight is in a gladiator arena and to the death. Which team wins?

Robtard
Probably LoTR crew, but it's a very close match. I'd have to ponder the maths some.

Ascendancy
The entire LOTR crew save Boromir have such ridiculous luck powers that I doubt even Achilles can survive them.

KingD19
Achilles, Leonidas, and Conan are all pretty much superhuman.

Mindset
Achilles is the sexiest.

no homo

Lord Lucien
What, no Spartacus? His Slo-mo powers would come in handy. Sneak him in, go on.

KingD19
Leonidas has slow-mo powers too.

The Silent Hero
Gladiators.

NemeBro
Originally posted by KingD19
Achilles, Leonidas, and Conan are all pretty much superhuman. As are Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas.

Maybe Boromir. Undecided.

Darth Martin
The team with Achilles and Leonidas.

Legolas is probably the most skilled here but his main talent is with the bow. Here, he has to fight like everyone else.

Ascendancy
Again, save Boromir, not a single member of the LOTR crew takes a major injury in the entire series. Three of the four on the other crew proved all too well that they're indeed mortal.

The Fellows take it.

KingD19
Can't the same be said for the Gladiators?

Maximus got stabbed and poisoned before he even fought.

Leonidas' only injury was when he faced the Uber Immortal, and that was a small cut.

And Achilles was injured while he was distracted.

None of them were seriously injured in battle, and if the Fellows had been in the same situation, they wouldn't have come out unscathed.

The Silent Hero
Originally posted by Ascendancy
Again, save Boromir, not a single member of the LOTR crew takes a major injury in the entire series. Three of the four on the other crew proved all too well that they're indeed mortal.

The Fellows take it. That's because they fight low-level grunts. They're good at mowing down tons of easy troops. But put Aragorn up against a real foe like Lurtz and see how he does.

Also I haven't seen Conan but afaik the Gladiators never took a hit either.

KingD19
Originally posted by The Silent Hero
That's because they fight low-level grunts. They're good at mowing down tons of easy troops. But put Aragorn up against a real foe like Lurtz and see how he does.

Also I haven't seen Conan but afaik the Gladiators never took a hit either.

Conan only was challenged when he fought a man with a witch for a daughter and he was fighting both of them at the same time I believe.

As for Maximus, he was never touched. He got backstabbed quite literally by Phoenixes' character before his last fight, and he died from the poison.

Ascendancy
Originally posted by KingD19
Can't the same be said for the Gladiators?

Maximus got stabbed and poisoned before he even fought.

Leonidas' only injury was when he faced the Uber Immortal, and that was a small cut.

And Achilles was injured while he was distracted.

None of them were seriously injured in battle, and if the Fellows had been in the same situation, they wouldn't have come out unscathed.

Leonidas did take an injury or two when he died, I do believe. Unfortunately for the film incarnation of Achilles, he was taken down by a rather pansy-ish figure. Three of the four on their team bit the dust, three of the four on the LOTR crew survived with nary an issue worth speaking of.

Like I said, their luck powers are ridiculous, but they are what they are.

quanchi112
There is no such thing as luck powers. Within their own movies heroes survive all kinds of overwhelming offs but that doesn't mean anything in a versus forum fight.

KingD19
Leonidas did take an injury or two when he died, I do believe. Unfortunately for the film incarnation of Achilles, he was taken down by a rather pansy-ish figure. Three of the four on their team bit the dust, three of the four on the LOTR crew survived with nary an issue worth speaking of.

Like I said, their luck powers are ridiculous, but they are what they are.

Leonidas and pretty much every Spartan save Dilios(lost his eye), Astinos(beheaded) and his dad Artemis(speared through the gut, but still killed several more Persians before dying), was untouched in that whole movie. Leonidas had a small cut/scar over his eye, but that was it. And that was from trying to fight a 7+ft tall giant with strength even greater than his. He only got seriously injured when a wave of arrows hit him and all the other Spartans. Because they were impossibly outnumbered.

Achilles got shot with an arrow while he was focused on helping Briseis. Any of the Fellowship would fall victim to the same. And considering Achilles blocked arrows after they were fired without even looking when he was in battle. It can be argued that with his focus elsewhere, it allowed Paris to take him off guard.

Everyone who died on the Gladiator team had extenuating circumstances.

Maximus was unarmed and didn't expect to get poisoned by a ruler who was jealous of his popularity.

Achilles got sneak shotted while he was occupied with a woman.

And Leonidas was literally on a suicide mission, and got engulfed by arrows.

As for the Fellowship, they never fought anyone with any actual skill. Just a bunch of goons.

Darth Martin
None of the Fellowship are taking Achilles or Leonidas in a straight up fight.

KingD19
Originally posted by Darth Martin
None of the Fellowship are taking Achilles or Leonidas in a straight up fight.

Oh hell no.

Achilles is invincible in combat for the most part.

And Leonidas has super strength as well as the ability to slow down time, lol. Also both were trained in combat since birth and were the best warriors of their respective peoples.

Ascendancy
Sh1t, if luck powers don't come into play there are a whole lot of John McClane threads that need to be revised.

quanchi112
Sh1t, if luck powers don't come into play there are a whole lot of John McClane threads that need to be revised. So you buy into their silly arguments ? It's a die hard movie there is no such thing as luck. There's a thing called a script in which Bruce Willis' character survives. The outcome is rigged you hick. You call it like. LOL.

Newjak
Fellowship.

The Gladiators were tough but never came across the same circumstances or fights the Fellowship crossed.

Heck say what you will about Boromir but he held off an Orc platoon by himself while fighting with arrows being shot into him.

Achilles slowly trodded through a few arrows in him but was definitely in no condition to fight.

Gimili is legit superhuman in strength. He can one hand snap a goblins neck, and he was bench pressing a warg off of him, something that is about as big as a horse.

Leonidas had trouble with the Giant because of his superior strength to him.

Legolas as legit Superhuman agility and speed.

And for all of Maximus' fights he enver fought anything approaching a sueprhuman in anything.

I think of all the people in team Glads the one with the best superhuman fighting feats is Conan.

dadudemon
All gladiators have superhuman strength. Legolas has slight superhuman accuracy but his speed is not superhuman (there is a Youtube video of some dude showing that he is better and faster than Legolas).

So the argument of superhuman strength will not work.

Based on feats, your strongest is probably Achilles by a significant margin. However, Conan would be your second as he has some pretty absurd feats.

As far as fighting ability, Achilles and Conan are your top, by an absurd amount. Either one of them can solo all four of the other team.

Newjak
Originally posted by dadudemon
All gladiators have superhuman strength. Legolas has slight superhuman accuracy but his speed is not superhuman (there is a Youtube video of some dude showing that he is better and faster than Legolas).

So the argument of superhuman strength will not work.

Based on feats, your strongest is probably Achilles by a significant margin. However, Conan would be your second as he has some pretty absurd feats.

As far as fighting ability, Achilles and Conan are your top, by an absurd amount. Either one of them can solo all four of the other team. They have action hero strength. There is difference between that and legit superhuman strength.

It's the notion that these people are supposed to be average humans but they obviously pull of things that a normal human couldn't although they are generally murky.

So for instance tell what were Achilles' superhuman strength feats, Leonidas', Conan's, Maximus'.

As for fighting ability everyone of the Fellowship took on hordes of beings. The same as everyone else.

Did the guy in this video show himself capable of single grabbing a horse and flinging himself one handed unto it? Did it show him climbing up a bunch of arrows to the top of a massive creature in second or something similar?

quanchi112
Team Achilles wins.

Mindset
Originally posted by quanchi112
Team Achilles wins. thumb up

Achilles beats any of the Fellowship.

Let's just let that fact be known right now.

Mindset
Originally posted by Newjak

Did the guy in this video show himself capable of single grabbing a horse and flinging himself one handed unto it? Did it show him climbing up a bunch of arrows to the top of a massive creature in second or something similar? You think those are superhuman feats?

Those are things people can do in real life.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Mindset
thumb up

Let's just let that fact be known right now. Achilles would maul the orcs in the LOTR. I mean you have dwarves and what not just obliterating them. In fact now is a good a time as any to unleash on these blasphemers.

dadudemon
They have action hero strength. There is difference between that and legit superhuman strength.

No. There is not.

It's the notion that these people are supposed to be average humans...

No, they are not. That's actually the furthest thing from the truth someone could state of their physical ability.

...but they obviously pull of things that a normal human couldn't although they are generally murky.

No, there is nothing murkey about throwing a Dory half a mile: that's pretty dang far into the superhuman category.

So for instance tell what were Achilles' superhuman strength feats, Leonidas', Conan's, Maximus'.

No thanks. smile

As for fighting ability everyone of the Fellowship took on hordes of beings. The same as everyone else.

Indeed...but their characters were grounded more within human levels of ability.

Did the guy in this video show himself capable of single grabbing a horse and flinging himself one handed unto it? Did it show him climbing up a bunch of arrows to the top of a massive creature in second or something similar?

Even better, obviously, or else I would not hold what I do.

You think those are superhuman feats?

Those are things people can do in real life.

That's actually true. no expression

Ascendancy
You should, I don't know, post the video? Crazy talk, I understand, but just a thought.

The Silent Hero

Did the guy in this video show himself capable of single grabbing a horse and flinging himself one handed unto it? Did it show him climbing up a bunch of arrows to the top of a massive creature in second or something similar? How will that help in a straight fight? There's no fancy acrobatics just fighting. Fighting orcs =/= fighting seasoned veterans.

Achilles mowed down dozens of warriors in Troy without even trying. Hector beat all kinds of foes and was a great fighter, and Achilles killed him all the same. Same for Maximus and all the gladiators he slaughtered. Leonidas mowed throw Immortals, and so on.

If Aragorn could barely handle Lurtz, he's not killing Achilles.

Newjak
You think those are superhuman feats?

Those are things people can do in real life. When's the last time you've seen a human being bench pressing a horse sized animal off of them?

For the record Horses can weigh up 1200 pounds. The record with a bench shirt(specialized Equipment) isn't over 1100 pounds.

Without the bench shirt it's like 700-900 pounds.

Gimili was doing it with only minor inconvenience and without specialized lifting aid. So yes Superhuman no expression

No. There is not.

No, they are not. That's actually the furthest thing from the truth someone could state of their physical ability.

No, there is nothing murkey about throwing a Dory half a mile: that's pretty dang far into the superhuman category.

No thanks. smile

Indeed...but their characters were grounded more within human levels of ability.

Even better, obviously, or else I would not hold what I do.

That's actually true. no expression So you're willing to state they have superior strength without actually stating why they have it?

Cause I'm trying to think of actual superhuman feats those guys pulled off that no human can do like Gimili. The only things that come to mind are possible throwing attacks which are mostly for show and cutting off limbs with weapons.

Can you link the youtube video?

Mindset
When's the last time you've seen a human being bench pressing a horse sized animal off of them?

For the record Horses can weigh up 1200 pounds. The record with a bench shirt(specialized Equipment) isn't over 1100 pounds.

Without the bench shirt it's like 700-900 pounds.

Gimili was doing it with only minor inconvenience and without specialized lifting aid. So yes Superhuman no expression

I don't think you actually realized what you originally posted.

Newjak
I don't think you actually realized what you originally posted. Whoops I thought you commented on the strength part stick out tongue My bad.

But what Legolas did was incredibly agile and until I find or am given a link to this video I don't think typical humans could pull the feats legolas did in speed, agility, and finesse and definitely not how he did all of them together.

FrothByte
Whoops I thought you commented on the strength part stick out tongue My bad.

But what Legolas did was incredibly agile and until I find or am given a link to this video I don't think typical humans could pull the feats legolas did in speed, agility, and finesse and definitely not how he did all of them together.

I agree that Legolas's agility and speed and dexterity are way above a human's. He was walking on snow for pete's sake. But, Achilles's fighting ability was also above human. His strength is shown by his spear throw.

Darth Martin
thumb up

Let's just let that fact be known right now. Leonidas does too. erm

quanchi112
Yeah, as much as I like the Fellowship they aren't beating Achilles and Leonidas.

dadudemon
You should, I don't know, post the video? Crazy talk, I understand, but just a thought.

You should, I don't know, bite my shiny metal ass? Crazy talk, I understand, but just a thought.

So you're willing to state they have superior strength without actually stating why they have it?

Yeah, I tend to think people have seen the movies for the threads I post in. I don't respond to troll questions like, "What happened in the films?" Pretty stupid, I think, to even ask that in a thread. However, I understand that in the CvF, it is common to ask for "feats" from comics people have not read. **** the context from which those scans come from, right? big grin

Cause I'm trying to think of actual superhuman feats those guys pulled off that no human can do like Gimili.

Go re-watch the films before posting in the thread. I expect to see you back, here, in one to two weeks.

Can you link the youtube video?

No, but you can go watch the films. smile

Newjak
You should, I don't know, bite my shiny metal ass? Crazy talk, I understand, but just a thought.

Yeah, I tend to think people have seen the movies for the threads I post in. I don't respond to troll questions like, "What happened in the films?" Pretty stupid, I think, to even ask that in a thread. However, I understand that in the CvF, it is common to ask for "feats" from comics people have not read. **** the context from which those scans come from, right? big grin

Go re-watch the films before posting in the thread. I expect to see you back, here, in one to two weeks.

No, but you can go watch the films. smile I've watched all the films, I own all the films except for Conan.

I have no idea what strength feats you are talking about.

The only thing that comes close is cutting limbs and throwing spears. So besides those weapon aided feats they were never shown to be anymore than humans.

Hector was able to trade blows with Achilles and he wasn't overpowered completely.

When Leonidas fought the Giant Immortal, the only thing humanoid in the entire movie to show super-human strength Leonidas was pretty easily overpowered and would have died had it not been for a Spartan coming to his rescue.

The only person on team Glads I can't remember the bulk of their feats is Conan. So he could have legit Superhuman strength but I might not remember it.

dadudemon
I've watched all the films, I own all the films except for Conan.

I have no idea what strength feats you are talking about.

Too bad. Well, it was a nice talk.

Edit - For your benefit, I have talked about these superhuman feats, at length, with others.

Newjak
Too bad. Well, it was a nice talk.

Edit - For your benefit, I have talked about these superhuman feats, at length, with others. How is that for my benefit. Am I now supposed to go look through your post history involving Achilles, Leonidas to find these at length discussions?

Could you at least give me a reference point to start looking?

Post links?

Post the said posts as quotes?

I'm sorry if I'm not gonna just take your word and go of course Achilles and Leonidas are superhumans despite everything I've ever seen from them which points to the opposite. smile

dadudemon
How is that for my benefit. Am I now supposed to go look through your post history involving Achilles, Leonidas to find these at length discussions?

No. You can do as you wish. You'll find stuff on these boards, for sure, but that is not all of it...or even half of it.

Could you at least give me a reference point to start looking?

I already have as have others.

Post links?

No thanks: research it yourself if you're genuinely interested.

I'm sorry if I'm not gonna just take your word and go of course Achilles and Leonidas are superhumans despite everything I've ever seen from them which points to the opposite. smile

Why apologize for something of which you are ignorant? You should never apologize for that. It is only if you revel in that ignorance should you apologize.

Newjak
No. You can do as you wish. You'll find stuff on these boards, for sure, but that is not all of it...or even half of it.

I already have as have others.

No thanks: research it yourself if you're genuinely interested.

Why apologize for something of which you are ignorant? You should never apologize for that. It is only if you revel in that ignorance should you apologize. So basically you come in here and state they have Superhuman strength. Yet besides some spear throw and amputated limbs I have seen nothing to suggest they are above human strength, in fact Leonidas was fairly easily overpowered by someone who did. Hector managed to trade blows with Achilles and not get shoved back wards.

As for the I'm sorry it's an expression

The Silent Hero
Hector never came close to killing Achilles. He never had a chance and Achilles was toying with him.

Leonidas pwned Immortals with ease, who are said to be elites of the ancient world. And he killed that giant dude too without any help, dunno what you're talking about.

Robtard
So basically you come in here and state they have Superhuman strength. Yet besides some spear throw and amputated limbs I have seen nothing to suggest they are above human strength, in fact Leonidas was fairly easily overpowered by someone who did. Hector managed to trade blows with Achilles and not get shoved back wards.

As for the I'm sorry it's an expression

No idea why DDM won't give you exacts, but the things I recall.

Leonidas/Spartans:
- One of them (Leonidas?) threw a heavy spear an extremely long distance. Looked to be easily over 150 meters, which breaks the javelin throwing record and that's a much lighter projectile made for flight, not battle.
- 300 of them stopped a running mob of what looked like thousands.
- When they shoved back with their shields after they stopped the Persian infantry, they sent the Persians flying.
-Leonidas easily cut through a man's thigh and sent him up flying
-Leonidas traded and blocks blows with that ogre-man. That guy certainly has super-human strength. He at least sent one Spartan flying up and back a good 20 feet with a kick and he easily picked up and tossed Leonidas with one arm.

Now you can argue the semantics of what "super human" means, but Leonidas is clearly above peak human.

Achilles:

-Only thing that really stands out in super-human strength is when he cut the golden statue.

But I could be forgetting other scenes. Achilles is often wanked in here though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.