Carefree!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The MISTER
Is a carefree attitude a benefit or a danger? Is a carefree adult an oxymoron? How would you rate yourself on worrying on a scale of one to ten with 1 being carefree and10 being worry wart.

Symmetric Chaos
Unless you're carefree to the point of physically endangering yourself I'd say the benefits of reduced stress are pretty good.

Lord Lucien
What the hell is wrong wit being carefree? It's not the same as being oblivious.

Tzeentch._
SC didn't rate himself, what a shit-head man.

I'm an 8 on your vague scale I guess. Ny therapist says I'm far too critical of myself and others, which is connected to my manic depression. That's pretty worrisome I guess.

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
What the hell is wrong wit being carefree? It's not the same as being oblivious. Typical aloof Canadian response. If it weren't for our responsible hardline ways of thinking, you guys would all be speaking Islamenese right now.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Typical aloof Canadian response. If it weren't for our responsible hardline ways of thinking, you guys would all be speaking Islamenese right now. Hey we kicked your ass in the Civil War and saved it in Iraq. If it weren't for us you'd all speaking French Canadian--the worst kind of Canadian.

Tzeentch._
this guy and his propaganda.

The MISTER
What the hell is wrong wit being carefree? It's not the same as being oblivious. How is it not the same thing?

Ascendancy
OP, I think you need to give a working definition of carefree for this thread. I don't think most people take it at literal face value and assume that it means you literally ignore all priorities and things of import, simply that you don't fret over every little thing and accept that some things simply are how they are.

If we're talking about being oblivious to the world there are few members of this site that I would say fall into that category, though a certain "Big C" fellow might cut the mustard.

rudester
I thought it ment your born rich and dont have to worry about a thing?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by The MISTER
How is it not the same thing?

Oblivious means not being aware of troubles.
Carefree means not having troubles. In my experience carefree also carries the connotation of not being bothered by troubles you do have. Sometimes it is used to mean careless, as well.

In general you only create confusion if you refer to a word without clearly defining it. So what, specifically, do you want to talk about?

We can just go through the definitions one by one:

A person who has no actual troubles is always better off than a person who does. This makes "carefree" good.
A person who does nothing about their actual troubles endangers themselves. This makes "carefree" bad.
A person who is aware of their problem but not stressed by them is certainly better off than a person who has problems and is stressed by them. Personally I don't consider this an attitude, since it depends too much on the type of problems the person has. On the balance this makes "carefree" good.

Dolos
It's impossible to be carefree.

The MISTER
I'm a 3. I don't worry about much.

Careless: not scared. Not worried. No anxiety or stressful concerns.

I think any confusion is a result of how rare the feeling is.
Children can be carefree Solos, but maybe you're right about adults. Ignorance being bliss an all. How about monks?

rudester
im sure even monks worrie that their not doing it right..meditating

Dolos
Originally posted by The MISTER
Ignorance being bliss an all. How about monks?

No one can be care free. Life sucks that bad.

Humans will never be carefree, they will live an insignificant amount of time, with a loser life, and die.

However in a Type I Utopian Society, that's the biblical description of Heaven's 1st and highest tier, with some hard core sci-fi tech in the mix.

The 'angels' there wouldn't be capable of negative thought.

Lord Lucien
They sound like Anthony's slaves from "It's a Good Life".

Dolos
They sound like Anthony's slaves from "It's a Good Life".

By that reasoning nature has already "enslaved" us, has it not?

Suffering is hard-wired into the human mind. I would say let go of destructive, negative thought but your sub-conscious psych, brainwashed by Man's animalistic cruelty and sadomasochism, would retaliate in threatened religious tear.

Mine probably would too, all humans are ****ed up that way. We need suffering, that's why carefree doesn't exist and probably never will. Humans are not capable of having a fully functioning civilization, and won't allow their spawn to either probably. Death by fire.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Dolos
By that reasoning nature has already "enslaved" us, has it not?

Suffering is hard-wired into the human mind. I would say let go of destructive, negative thought but your sub-conscious psych, brainwashed by Man's animalistic cruelty and sadomasochism, would retaliate in threatened religious tear. Yeah, no. There's "letting-go" and then there's being "incapable". Not being able to experience the full of range of human emotion would be awful. I'd rather live a life that passes through extremes rather than live one that stays placid.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Dolos
No one can be care free. Life sucks that bad.

Humans will never be carefree, they will live an insignificant amount of time, with a loser life, and die.

However in a Type I Utopian Society, that's the biblical description of Heaven's 1st and highest tier, with some hard core sci-fi tech in the mix.

The 'angels' there wouldn't be capable of negative thought.

Been reading Transmetropolitan?

movie1
it goes both ways , come on now.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.