Darth Sidious (one lightsaber) -vs- Savage Opress and Maul

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Visage
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww231/Thallah/Sidious_zpsd5ef4bd7.jpg

Starting Distance Apart: 10 Feet.

Just as in TCW; in the Mandalorian city, cargo facility.

Maul and Opress find themselves face to face with Sidious.

Except Sidious only has one lightsaber.

Does this mean death for the Dark Lord? Or does it not make a difference at all?

Scenario 1: Sidious fights the Zabrak brothers in the exact same situation as the TCW episode, with one lightsaber to use.

Scenario 2: The Mandalorians have discovered Sidious' presence upon his entering the planet, and Sidious knows he must kill both brothers in 1 Minute and then escape - is he capable of this, or no?

In both scenarios, he has one lightsaber - just as when he fought the Council members.

Nephthys
Sidious Forcepwns.

The_Tempest
With one lightsaber?! Egads, the brothers stomp. No one can take on two opponents with one lightsaber.

Visage
laughing

Nephthys
Not even Barriss????????

I'm ashamed of you son. For you have strayed from the Path of Offee and now your soul is assigned to hell. May Bandon have merci on you.

The_Tempest
Barriss is an exception to all things, my English friend.

Visage
As I meant to make the Poll multiple choice, I was distracted by Nephthys.

I've arranged to have that issue remedied. smokin'

The_Tempest
There is an oddly alluring element to my beloved manservant, isn't there?

Anyway, the child is correct in this scenario. Sidious annihilates them utterly with the Force.

DARTH POWER
Bait thread.

Sidious still wins, but he will have a harder time in the Lightsaber fight.

Visage
Originally posted by The_Tempest
There is an oddly alluring element to my beloved manservant, isn't there?

He's very charming.

Anyway, the child is correct in this scenario. Sidious annihilates them utterly with the Force.

Does he need offensive Force-usage to dispatch them?

And can he kill them both within one minute, per the second Scenario?

The_Tempest
Well, Sidious is no Obi-Wan Kenobi, but I'm sure he can muster a victory in less than a minute with his adequate Force powers.

Visage
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Bait thread.

Sidious still wins, but he will have a harder time in the Lightsaber fight.

If Sidious and Kenobi could have won with a single Saber then they should have proven it by doing just that! But they didn't. The writers specifically had those defeats taking place with 2 Sabers..

Visage
Well, Sidious is no Obi-Wan Kenobi, but I'm sure he can muster a victory in less than a minute with his adequate Force powers.

And in swordsmanship?

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Visage
And in swordsmanship?

With one lightsaber? Well... it's not like Sidious has ever laid waste to multiple opponents while wielding only one blade.

I'm pretty sure that 2 (3, really, if you count Savage's double blades) > 1 mathematically, so Sidious can't possibly win with one lightsaber.

Only Barriss could do so well.

DARTH POWER
If Sidious and Kenobi could have won with a single Saber then they should have proven it by doing just that! But they didn't. The writers specifically had those defeats taking place with 2 Sabers..

I really meant that more for Obi-Wan. With Sidious I should have said "If he could fight off both brothers JUST AS EASILY with 1 then he should have done so to prove that."

And you should have just addressed me in that thread instead of making an obvious bait thread.

Visage
Mhm.

DARTH POWER
Also who here thinks that Kenobi is a substantially better swordsman than Count Dooku?

If there's no one, then can you care to explain why his Saber performance against Maul and Opress was substantially better than Dooku's performance against Opress and Ventress if 2 Sabers makes ZERO difference at tackling 2 Lightsaber wielding Opponents.

Nephthys
Motherfvcking miracles bro. :0)

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Nephthys
Motherfvcking miracles bro. :0)

HaHa!

Filoni should have stated that when asked about Kenobi's victory:

"Look it was just a F***ing Miracle.. The guy should really be dead. He's such a lucky B***ard!"

Nephthys
F*cking lightsabers, right? How do they work?

Q99
He'd be even harder pressed in the saber section, but not enough that he'd get cut or anything, and he'd still be able to split them up with the force sooner or later, then kill Opress, then Maul.

Maul might be able to land in one more punch or kick than he did in the episode, but that's about it.

DARTH POWER
^ So you agree it does make a difference in a Saber fight? Just not enough to change the final outcome in this scenario.

In that case you should watch out for some of the posters here. They'll scold you for even thinking that wielding a Second Lightsaber could make any kind of difference at all to... You know.. A "Lightsaber" fight.

You should accept that Kenobi obviously would have defeated both Maul Brothers with a Single Saber with no extra difficulty attached at all.

He obviously used Adi's Saber just to show off and Toy with the Brothers. What other possibility could there be for him abandoning his usual style in that scenario?

Raptor22
If Sidious and Kenobi could have won with a single Saber then they should have proven it by doing just that! But they didn't. The writers specifically had those defeats taking place with 2 Sabers.. just because thats how it happened doesnt mean that its the only way it could have went down. in TPM Maul only gained the upper hand against obi-wan after obi cut his dual saber in half and was forced to fight with 1 blade. does that mean maul is deadlier with 1 blade instead of 2 because the writers depicted it that way in that 1 scene?

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Raptor22
just because thats how it happened doesnt mean that its the only way it could have went down. in TPM Maul only gained the upper hand against obi-wan after obi cut his dual saber in half and was forced to fight with 1 blade. does that mean maul is deadlier with 1 blade instead of 2 because the writers depicted it that way in that 1 scene?

Visage was just quoting me without the quote bit. It was me who wrote that so address me on the issue.

TPM Maul was forced to fight with a single blade after Kenobi chopped his Saber staff in 2 (due to his ferocity catching Maul by surprise according to the official site).

But the Staff was his chosen weapon, so he presumably fights better with it. He also has exceptional Jar Kai skills according to Plaguies and other sources. So he likely performs more effectively with 2 separate Sabers than with a single one. Like Ventress.

Just so you know I'm not giving 2 Sabers a significant advantage against a singular opponent, just against multiple opponents. Against a singular opponent it depends on the combatant, how he/she fights best.

Now tell me do you honestly think Kenobi would have performed just as well against Both brothers with 1 Saber? If so then why abandon his usual style of using 1 Saber when in for the fight off his life?

That would be a very unusual thing to do under the circumstances. So I'm afraid it's you who has to prove he did so for no reason but to show off and look cool.

Next do you think Kenobi is a significantly superior duelist to Count Dooku? Because his Saber performance against Maul and Opress outstrips Dooku's against Opress and Ventress by a mile. The only explanation I can see there is that 2 Sabers makes it easier taking on 2 Lightsaber wielding opponents.

But that's obviously just my idiocy talking. according to some idiots here.

I await your response.

Raptor22
there r too many factors to make any conrete rule either way. 2 blades is probably better when fighting against multiple enimies in most situations but not every situation for every character. if ur trying to stay alive or buy time 2 blades is probably better if ur trying to take 1 opponent out quick 1 might be better so u can deliver more powerful precise strikes. their styles and character r factors as well. for instance i doubt vader wolud do better with 2 blades against multiple opponents as opposed to him wielding just 1.

Raptor22
my bad about who wrote it. no harm intended. but to answer ur question about obi -wan, in that situation i think its pretty obvious he would not have done as well with just 1 blade.

DARTH POWER
there r too many factors to make any conrete rule either way. 2 blades is probably better when fighting against multiple enimies in most situations but not every situation for every character. if ur trying to stay alive or buy time 2 blades is probably better if ur trying to take 1 opponent out quick 1 might be better so u can deliver more powerful precise strikes. their styles and character r factors as well. for instance i doubt vader wolud do better with 2 blades against multiple opponents as opposed to him wielding just 1.

Well you have a point there. I have constantly argued it will only help if the person is skilled at using 2 appropriately.

Dooku's style is one handed fencing, so I doubt he'd do much better with 2.

Sidious's strong point is his speed. Wielding 2 Sabers is only going to make his speed deadlier.

It clearly helped Kenobi A LOT when dealing with 2 Opponents. And if it helped Kenobi, I can't see why it wouldn't have helped Sidious. (They both actually used a similar style against the Brothers.)

And since that's what he chose to bring to the fight, he obviously thought himself that's the best way to deal with them.

But I mean end of the day it's fair and square. If they're facing 2 Sabers then they're perfectly entitled to use 2. But let's not pretend it was just for show. People could argue that with Sidious, but was Kenobi just showing off too? Of course not.

Q99
I'll comment that Miyamoto Musashi felt it was a good idea to have a second blade in a multi-person fight, but only used one in one-on-one duels.

So I would say, in general, it's normally a bit better to have more than one when facing multiple foes, but it is as mentioned wielder dependent. It doesn't suit some fighter's styles, it'll trip some up, and so on, but it is a potential edge to use.

Visage
Ush tells me he is not able to edit the thread, so I will make another one.

This is fine, as I can specify more on the conditions for victory. smokin'

Visage

Next do you think Kenobi is a significantly superior duelist to Count Dooku? Because his Saber performance against Maul and Opress outstrips Dooku's against Opress and Ventress by a mile. The only explanation I can see there is that 2 Sabers makes it easier taking on 2 Lightsaber wielding opponents.

I'll get to this in the new thread.

The_Tempest

thumb up

vry wise u r

SIDIOUS 66
Originally posted by Q99
He'd be even harder pressed in the saber section, but not enough that he'd get cut or anything, and he'd still be able to split them up with the force sooner or later, then kill Opress, then Maul.

Maul might be able to land in one more punch or kick than he did in the episode, but that's about it.

There wouldn't have to be a saber section. Sidious can overpower and take them out with the force alone. But if he does decide to use a saber, then he can take them out in under a minute. If he can slaughter three "celebrated swordsmasters" despite Windu being alongside them, he can kill these two within a minute. Remember, he's actually trying to kill both of them in this thread, so he wouldn't hold back against Maul, and since he has only a minute, he's going to be far more aggressive and won't be as playful.

-Pr-
Obi-Wan did well against Savage and Maul because he had experience fighting both of them, and he fought dirty. Dooku, bar force power, doesn't fight dirty. For example, look at how Kenobi focused on Savage's knee.

Raptor22
Originally posted by -Pr-
Obi-Wan did well against Savage and Maul because he had experience fighting both of them, and he fought dirty. Dooku, bar force power, doesn't fight dirty. For example, look at how Kenobi focused on Savage's knee. how was obi-wan targeting his knee dirty, and what other dirty tactics did he use that u feel gave him an edge?

KuRuPT Thanosi
Well you have a point there. I have constantly argued it will only help if the person is skilled at using 2 appropriately.

Dooku's style is one handed fencing, so I doubt he'd do much better with 2.

Sidious's strong point is his speed. Wielding 2 Sabers is only going to make his speed deadlier.

It clearly helped Kenobi A LOT when dealing with 2 Opponents. And if it helped Kenobi, I can't see why it wouldn't have helped Sidious. (They both actually used a similar style against the Brothers.)

And since that's what he chose to bring to the fight, he obviously thought himself that's the best way to deal with them.

But I mean end of the day it's fair and square. If they're facing 2 Sabers then they're perfectly entitled to use 2. But let's not pretend it was just for show. People could argue that with Sidious, but was Kenobi just showing off too? Of course not.

and how does Mace fit into all this with his attributes? You listed Dooku.. Sids.. Kenobi... and now Mace? stick out tongue

-Pr-
how was obi-wan targeting his knee dirty, and what other dirty tactics did he use that u feel gave him an edge?

I meant dirty as in, he fought differently to how most Jedi fight. Nobody would expect Obi-Wan to do something like that, and that was why it worked.

Had Obi-Wan stuck strictly to just saber dueling, I doubt he would have made the same opening that allowed him to cripple Savage.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
and how does Mace fit into all this with his attributes? You listed Dooku.. Sids.. Kenobi... and now Mace? stick out tongue

Well it's his normal style to use 1. But I believe he has mastered most forms of Saber combat. So it's likely he also excells at Jar Kai.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.