Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morridini
The rumours are now confirmed, the next Assassin's Creed game will be a pirate game:

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2013/02/acbfkeyartjpg-4802d0-610x859.jpg

Further rumours claim that we will be playing Edward Kenway, the father of Haythan and grandfather of Connor. Seeing as the best parts of AC3 were the hours spent with Haythan in the beginning and the ship sections this looks promising.

General G
Originally posted by Morridini

Further rumours claim that we will be playing Edward Kenway, the father of Haythan and grandfather of Connor. Seeing as the best parts of AC3 were the hours spent with Haythan in the beginning and the ship sections this looks promising.

Disagreed. Those early parts of AC3 with Haytham were the hardest to get through to finally get to Connor. Ship sections were a lot of fun, though.

Nemesis X
As long as the game is all about ships and ship battles are in multiplayer, I'm sold.

wakkawakkawakka
Hope Ubisoft focuses more on the single-player story and less on the multi-player portion. And despite the fact that this sounds pretty cool I wonder how this will tie in with the rest of the AC-verse considering Desmond's story is over.

Though I am curious as to how Haytham was converted so this might give some insight on it. I'm also suprised that Ubisoft is going backwards instead of finishing of Connor's genetic memory.

BackFire
Hope this means more ship battles. Best part of ACIII.

Peach
I actually really disliked the ship battle parts...so meh.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Hope Ubisoft focuses more on the single-player story and less on the multi-player portion. And despite the fact that this sounds pretty cool I wonder how this will tie in with the rest of the AC-verse considering Desmond's story is over.

Though I am curious as to how Haytham was converted so this might give some insight on it. I'm also suprised that Ubisoft is going backwards instead of finishing of Connor's genetic memory.
In my opinion, just leave Desmond behind, use the genetic memory as the game interface, and stick to playing historical characters.

Also, Connor was boring. Not even Those Who Came Before cared what happened to him after he finished his part of the plan.

Kazenji
The PS3 version will be getting exclusive content

http://au.gamespot.com/news/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-confirmed-getting-exclusive-ps3-content-6404614

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Kazenji
The PS3 version will be getting exclusive content

http://au.gamespot.com/news/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-confirmed-getting-exclusive-ps3-content-6404614

Enough with the exclusive content BS already. I may own a PS3 but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be disgusted by these silly marketing schemes favoring one system over the other when the game being advertised is multiplatform.

BloodRain
We don't need more boat battles.. we need better land plots and assassiny gameplay.

What bugs me is how its not AC3. Each whole number was in a different time period, when this is only like 50 years back and likely in a similar era setting.

wakkawakkawakka
Originally posted by General Kaliero
In my opinion, just leave Desmond behind, use the genetic memory as the game interface, and stick to playing historical characters.

Also, Connor was boring. Not even Those Who Came Before cared what happened to him after he finished his part of the plan.

Connor was boring but not finding out how his story actually ended is a bit of a letdown. I also find it funny that Connor was the only playable anscestor not to be the leader of anything.

Phanteros
So no french revolution? **** that that shit then.

Impediment
At first, I thought this was a very early April Fool's joke.

Peach
Originally posted by Phanteros
So no french revolution? **** that that shit then.

Yeah, I was still holding out hope for a game set in that era.

At least we finally got a female protagonist in an AC game...but still no French Revolution.

General G
Originally posted by Impediment
At first, I thought this was a very early April Fool's joke.

Same. Similar to Bungie's pirate game they announced many years ago in the middle of either Halo 2 or Halo 3's development.

ares834
Leaked trailer.

wakkawakkawakka
Looks cool but I still wish that Ubisoft took the 4 out. Considering this is back before AC3 it seems odd.

KingD19
Yeah. I've never seen a prequel with a later number entry. It should have just been called Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. Like Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Kazenji
Also read this one will be getting a release on the next gen console along with the current ones.

Kazenji
y58uao48Ddw

0mega Spawn
Ac3 was so disappoint

0mega Spawn
Ac3 was so disappointing I sold it immediately after getting altair armor

I have very little hope for any more ac games

Smasandian
Eventually they will stop making them every year.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Smasandian
Eventually they will stop making them every year.

They most likey started on it after the 3rd game was released or during it

and also PETA says whaling in Assassin's Creed 4 glorifies hurting and killing,

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/6/4070836/peta-objects-whaling-in-assassins-creed-4

Demonic Phoenix
Anyone else think Edward's robes resemble a mixture of Altair's and Connor's?

Also, lol @ the usual PETA bullshit.

Kazenji
Shows you stupid they are when they have no concept of what these games are about, When it about historical events and whaling is part of history.

Nemesis X
I remember back when PETA overreacted to a scene in Battlefield 3 that had a soldier kill an annoying sewer rat that almost gave him away and made controversy over it and yet while they may still say no to killing diseased rodents, Ubisoft gets zero flack when I stick a hidden blade down the back of a rabbit's throat in AC3. Wonder if that means PETA discriminates and prefers rats over rabbits. Hypocrites.

Kazenji
Surprised that they didn't have a say over Far Cry 3.

Nemesis X
Surprised that they didn't have a say over Far Cry 3.

Ubisoft probably convinced PETA at the time Far Cry 3 is a simulator that teaches children the negative side effects of taking drugs which can make you kill animals against your will as your under the influence of the accursed pill. I mean what else can the reason be for ignoring a game about a party goer running around an island punching sharks and shooting komodo dragons while thinking he's in a boss battle with a demon god?

Peach
More likely it flew under their radar because Far Cry isn't as well known a series as AC is.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Peach
More likely it flew under their radar because Far Cry isn't as well known a series as AC is.

And yet there's still no flak given when you can murder rabbits, foxes, bears and antelopes but the moment whales come into play, shit hits the fan. For a group that's against animal killing, they're pretty hypocritical and I don't care if their excuse is because whales are endangered and every other animal is very common. They flipped a table over the death of a rat for god sakes.

Peach
Oh, PETA is very much a hypocritical organization. They regularly kill animals that are surrendered to them, after all. They also tried to make a campaign to stop fishing by calling fish "sea kittens" a couple years ago. They're a digusting, ridiculous group.

And generally they'll go after whatever will garner them the most attention. Far Cry is not as big of a series, so they probably had no idea about that game. This is a much, much bigger series, so stuff from it will ping on their radar more easily.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Peach
This is a much, much bigger series, so stuff from it will ping on their radar more easily.

So why was there no controversy over AC3 when animals can be hunted in that?

KingD19
Probably because the animals hunted in AC3 aren't endangered or rare and exotic. It's forest creatures. People will always kill forest creatures. There's no way PETA could get anyone to bat an eyelash about that.

But I agree with Peach on them only going after the "big paydays". Notice they didn't say anything about Dishonored, when the entire kingdom of Dunwall was powered by Whale Oil, and whales were hunted extensively.

BloodRain
I've killed bad guys, good guys, innocents, a pope, woodland creatures and my father all the while using gangs, thieves, prostitutes, anarchy and arson.. bring on the whale hunting.

-Pr-
PETA's shit.

Looking forward to this game though. Could be something special.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by BloodRain
I've killed bad guys, good guys, innocents, a pope, woodland creatures and my father all the while using gangs, thieves, prostitutes, anarchy and arson.. bring on the whale hunting.

Don't forget being trained to repeatedly kill other people through multiplayer.

Kazenji
Wonder if it translates to real life

its basically VR training.

EyeAreRandom
I was watching an IGN podcast about AC4 and YOU are basically taking over Desmond's role and the Templars have all the DNA they need to use on the animus.

Ubisoft seem to have changed the story a bit which imo is great!

I still have high hopes for Assiassin's Creed

KingD19
So you the player are the subject to go into the Animus and experience the memories? I had a feeling as a pirate, Grandpa Kenway sowed a few different seeds in a few different ports.

EyeAreRandom
I think that is correct yes. This isn't confirmed but it seems that way.

Demonic Phoenix

Peach
laughing out loud Love that response.

Kazenji
The Assassins Creed creator returns Ubisoft

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/14/4104556/acclaimed-game-designer-desilets-returns-to-ubisoft-after-thq-collapse

BloodRain
I'll admit it. The only reason I got into the franchise was this man and that voice..

oMyGSpgkUGI

Kazenji
I'll admit it. The only reason I got into the franchise was this man and that voice..

oMyGSpgkUGI

Which man and what voice

the new Edward character or the pirate from the trailer?

BloodRain
Which man and what voice

the new Edward character or the pirate from the trailer?
Patrice Desilets awecraz

Arachnid1
tmlW3BgalRc

BloodRain
I can't be the only one that put a lot of focus on the shark scenes.

Kazenji
0PtJOJG_sy8

Kazenji
I can't be the only one that put a lot of focus on the shark scenes.

Only just noticed that gameplay trailer

if you won't like the sharks then might be a good thing if you haven't gone near Far Cry 3

Kazenji
HPcEmn69Q4k

BloodRain
Only just noticed that gameplay trailer

if you won't like the sharks then might be a good thing if you haven't gone near Far Cry 3
Please. After assassinating stags, wolves and bears, a sharks head would make a fine addition to the wall. Better yet if we can dive in a hunt whales with a hidden blade stick out tongue

BloodRain
9ldDRjHYSio

Demonic Phoenix
bRNfLSQc9k4

Zack Fair
Kind of bored of AC by now.

Nemesis X
l0kMestOAC8

It's like that one boss fight in Resident Evil 4 except it's Jaws instead of the giant salamander.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Zack Fair

Yeah me too.

It doesn't help that a release happens every year and they pad it with useless stuff to do.

But I do think the Caribbean is a good setting to be in and the gameplay video where you can just jump on your ship and sail away is kind of cool.

I'm probably going to pick it up in the spring like I usually do with AC games.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Zack Fair

As long as they fix the bugs that occurred in AC3 (and finish any major patching needed before release date), and have a better story, I'll be alright with it.

Looks like there'll be a lot of stuff to do in this game. And there's a far greater emphasis on water-based gameplay this time around, (which is what a lot of detractors of AC3 wanted) to the point where the sea is now AC4's version of the Kingdom/Frontier.

Smasandian
My issue with AC3 was that there was a ton of stuff to do but it was all for nothing.

Look at a game like Tomb Raider, all the collection quests you get increases your skills and gives you important backstory to the world you are trekking around.

In AC3, the obtuse crafting system was useless, making all these collection quests pointless. In AC2, getting feathers for your brother gave you money to buy things that can help you. The collections quests meant something.

In AC3, the system was convoluted. Yes, getting feathers meant that you can sell them but you had to go through this entire selling system instead of just giving you straight up cash.

Demonic Phoenix
My issue with AC3 was that there was a ton of stuff to do but it was all for nothing.

Look at a game like Tomb Raider, all the collection quests you get increases your skills and gives you important backstory to the world you are trekking around.

In AC3, the obtuse crafting system was useless, making all these collection quests pointless. In AC2, getting feathers for your brother gave you money to buy things that can help you. The collections quests meant something.

In AC3, the system was convoluted. Yes, getting feathers meant that you can sell them but you had to go through this entire selling system instead of just giving you straight up cash.

Some 'collection' quests (lighting those rags on fire, destroying trinkets in the first area, etc.) in TR were for XP related purposes only, but yeah, they helped increase skills.

As far as collection and gameplay went, feathers were more or less useless I agree, since they just gave you an outfit at the end. Outfits in AC3 were meh.
Everything else was useful though. Peg Leg Trinkets were tied to exploring ruins. Almanac Pages could be read, and gave you cash. Chests gave you cash and items for side quests and crafting.

You're mixing things up. Feathers could not be sold through the crafting system. The crafting/economy system was interesting as well, but I agree, it should have been handled better and they should have found more ways to make it integral to the game world. Still, Crafting also gave you access to weapons and items you could not otherwise obtain.

Smasandian
I thought you can sell feathers in the crafting system?

Oh well, my point is that mostly all the stuff was useless. I rather have a few Peg Leg trinket quests than 20 hours of mindless collecting things, fetch quests and such.

Kazenji
This reminds me of what Rockstar said regarding side quests/activities

Smasandian
Yeah,

It's true. Rockstar games had very good side quests and activities. I just bought Red Dead again and I remember how much fun poker was.

aerllyhong
it's so cool, I like the game.

BloodRain
toQ4uK7V4Kk

Pretty.

Kazenji
I know its going to look great on the next gen consoles, Wonder how good it will look on the current ones since they're getting a released for it too.

Kazenji
dPqPrTGI-D4

Smasandian
I know its going to look great on the next gen consoles, Wonder how good it will look on the current ones since they're getting a released for it too.

I suspect it will look as good as Assassins Creed 3 did.

I'm suspecting that the next gen games will be a direct port from the PC version.

Arachnid1
That trailer looked damn amazing. And just like that, my hype went from 7-10. Those looked like some fun characters!

RedX1852
Edward DIES Pathetically man, for a Bad @$$ Master Assassin and Pirate he sure has a Hard Time taking on 2 home invaders

Arachnid1
Originally posted by RedX1852
Edward DIES Pathetically man, for a Bad @$$ Master Assassin and Pirate he sure has a Hard Time taking on 2 home invaders Jesus, the dude dies at age 42? That's one Assassin we wont be seeing an old version of.

Also, we don't know HOW it happens. Maybe he chooses the Templars over the Assassins (which is why his son is a Templar), and the Assassins send two of their own to assassinate him. I could buy an Assassin being taken out by two others with the same skills as him.

Or maybe that happens the other way and he chooses the Assassins over the Templars and the Templars send two of his best after him. Maybe they use his daughter as leverage to hill him. I can see him giving his life for his family. I'd wait for the details before I call him pathetic.

EDIT:
According to Tessa Kenways wiki, it was five assailants too. That also discounts my theory that Edward was a Templar. He apparently dies an assassin, and his son is given to the Templars.
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Tessa_Kenway

Demonic Phoenix
No one else playing this atm?

Nemesis X
I would've bought it already if the multiplayer was more pirate-like. Would've been awesome if you could enter another player's game, attack their ship and loot everything.

Stealth Moose
I hope the ship combat is more realistic and less arcade-like than III. That was atrocious.

Demonic Phoenix
Eh, it's still arcade-y. Still a lot of fun though, especially since you can now board enemy vessels, though that gets old after a while, and you just want to sink the bastards.

But it's more fun exploring the sea than it is the cities. IMO.

wakkawakkawakka
So far its pretty fun. The content that they put into this game doesn't seem as pointless as the content in AC3 but my opinion might change.

Kazenji
I've only watched one review for this new one and they seem to say the franchise is back to form with this installment.

wakkawakkawakka
Yeah I just beat it and I can say that I liked it much more than AC3. Granted it was a bit weird not seeing Edward do multiple counter-kills but I got over it also dem Legendary Ships battles oh and Haytham

I wonder what Ubisoft will do next with the AC franchise. They can a least chuck out a novel finishing Connor's story right?

Kazenji
So how does Haytham become a Templer?

wakkawakkawakka
So how does Haytham become a Templer?

They cover it in a novel I think but I believe it goes something like thisA Templar named Reginald Birch orders a hit on Edward to take a journal and takes in Haytham to train on his moms request.

Estacado
Just got the armor for collecting maya stones it looks great and is bulletproof.

Phoenix3068
Bulletproof? You mean it's invincible or literally immune to bullets? Or is it like that one item from AC3 that makes you immune to stray gunfire? Finally, how difficult are the maya stones to collect? I want to know this stuff for when I actually get the game, lol.

Estacado
There is 16 to get by climbing on totem like statues where you have to solve geometrical puzzles.These are scattered around the world.Puzzles are pretty easy once you get all you can unlock a chamber on the Assassins island.
It looks pretty cool kinda like a superhero armor.While wearing it bullets do no damage to you melee attacks can still hurt you though.

BloodRawEngine
Is it bad to say that I'm still not really feeling it from Edward as a protagonist? Barring the fact that he suffers a very unceremonious death outside of the game, I really ain't finding myself connected to his plight the same way I was with Ezio and Connor (who, no, I didn't enjoy quite as much as Ezio, but will still say he's far from as bad as what people who were completey spoiled by Ezio would say of him). The best I can really say is that he at least amuses me, but I found Ezio's growth in character to be far more substantial in any one game of his, and found Connor's relationships with the Homestead residents far more endearing. I do find myself fascinated with Edward's initial encounters with the Assassins and Templars though. It's refreshing and makes sense given his profession. Suffice it to say he's passable, but overrated (not to the extent of Altair, mind you, but then his only accomplishments were based on off-screen exposition; Revelations helped, didn't cut it all the way through for me).

I'll give him time though, and let me just say that this really has no bearing on the gameplay, where things really matter here. They wanted to capitalize on what was easily AC3's most well-received addition to the series, and they did it in SPADES. I've spent no less time ship-boarding and fort-taking as I have playing the main campaign.

But to get my only real complaints on the game, the controls, out of the way, Edward feels a little bit clunkier than Connor/Haytham did, and that problem seems to extend to combat; I neither know nor care what the general consensus is, dual cutlasses are a goddamn letdown. I'll take Connor's tomahawk anyday.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by BloodRawEngine
Is it bad to say that I'm still not really feeling it from Edward as a protagonist? Barring the fact that he suffers a very unceremonious death outside of the game, I really ain't finding myself connected to his plight the same way I was with Ezio and Connor (who, no, I didn't enjoy quite as much as Ezio, but will still say he's far from as bad as what people who were completey spoiled by Ezio would say of him). The best I can really say is that he at least amuses me, but I found Ezio's growth in character to be far more substantial in any one game of his, and found Connor's relationships with the Homestead residents far more endearing. I do find myself fascinated with Edward's initial encounters with the Assassins and Templars though. It's refreshing and makes sense given his profession. Suffice it to say he's passable, but overrated (not to the extent of Altair, mind you, but then his only accomplishments were based on off-screen exposition; Revelations helped, didn't cut it all the way through for me).

I'll give him time though, and let me just say that this really has no bearing on the gameplay, where things really matter here. They wanted to capitalize on what was easily AC3's most well-received addition to the series, and they did it in SPADES. I've spent no less time ship-boarding and fort-taking as I have playing the main campaign.

But to get my only real complaints on the game, the controls, out of the way, Edward feels a little bit clunkier than Connor/Haytham did, and that problem seems to extend to combat; I neither know nor care what the general consensus is, dual cutlasses are a goddamn letdown. I'll take Connor's tomahawk anyday.

Edward's a welcome change from the usually more stoic Connor, and to a lesser extent, Ezio. That said, he's got balls. Pick-pocketing the Templar leaders after meeting up with them and having to improvise up most of the shit he had to say and do, was just awesome.

I have unlocked the entire map, explored most of the islands, nearly bought all upgrades for the Jackdaw, and I've just started Sequence 5. Leaving the bulk of the map open to the player for exploration in the early sequences is something I liked. Harpooning is also a decent little mini-game.
All that's left to explore are the sunken wrecks, a couple of islands, and a small section of Kingston. ACIII was stated to have free-roam with the ship, but it never materialized. In a way, I'm glad they left it for ACIV.

He controls the same to me as far as exploration goes. Animations are largely the same as Connor's, with a couple of variations. Funny how Edward can free-run across trees, whereas Haytham couldn't.
Combat's a little different, I agree. The lack of double counter kills (pity), a greater emphasis on gun-play, and two melee weapons make combat less satisfying this time around. Never mind that it is largely unchanged from ACIII. On the flip-side, there's free-aim.

My only other gripes with this game are the present day gamplay sequences, a handful of bugs with the Assassin Contracts, and the fact that this is titled ACIV instead of an 'expansion' on ACIII which is what ACIV is, much like Brotherhood and Revelations were to ACII.

BloodRawEngine
I honestly preferred how the story handled Connor's stoicism than how this game has been handling the comparatively nonchalant Edward; change ain't always good. It's like they tried touching upon a younger Ezio's brashness for the sake of brashness and making some sort of pattern between their personalities, but to this end, suffice it to say that Connor is a much better composed stoic character than Edward is an extroverted everyman imo. I think the game is relying too much on his being a pirate to really substantiate his rather unapolagetic methods, especially in a world where the plot hardly allows that level of suspension of disbelief or artistic liberty compared to something more fantastical.

Not to mention free-aim doesn't do a thing to make up for what's simply a sloppier-handling fighter, and it's just plain ****ing worthless in combat tbh, much less would I call that a flip-side in the all-around inferior combat. The only use I've yet found for it is hunting, which I'm hard-pressed to see how it's any better than in AC3 as a gameplay function besides being able to make only the tackiest-looking outfits--health upgrading comes and goes far too fast for it to stay as central as advertised when on land.

Demonic Phoenix
I honestly preferred how the story handled Connor's stoicism than how this game has been handling the comparatively nonchalant Edward; change ain't always good. It's like they tried touching upon a younger Ezio's brashness for the sake of brashness and making some sort of pattern between their personalities, but to this end, suffice it to say that Connor is a much better composed stoic character than Edward is an extroverted everyman imo. I think the game is relying too much on his being a pirate to really substantiate his rather unapolagetic methods, especially in a world where the plot hardly allows that level of suspension of disbelief or artistic liberty compared to something more fantastical.

Not to mention free-aim doesn't do a thing to make up for what's simply a sloppier-handling fighter, and it's just plain ****ing worthless in combat tbh, much less would I call that a flip-side in the all-around inferior combat. The only use I've yet found for it is hunting, which I'm hard-pressed to see how it's any better than in AC3 as a gameplay function besides being able to make only the tackiest-looking outfits--health upgrading comes and goes far too fast for it to stay as central as advertised when on land.

Eh, when they give us two revenge stories with two characters such as Ezio and Connor, in succession, change is needed. Connor's a better character than Edward so far, but given that I haven't seen much of Edward's story, I can't really judge Edward.

It's worthless in combat. I've only used it to shoot barrels on ships, when fighting becomes quite chaotic. It's much more useful when you want to take care of enemies while hidden in bushes, without engaging in combat.
Agreed. Hunting & the subsequent crafting offers little impact.

BloodRawEngine
I can see where you're coming from when it comes to addressing what's technically two revenge stories, but I do think there are at least distinctions between Ezio's and Connor's. Where it was a central driving force for Ezio for the better chunk of AC2, it felt a little more like just an initial spark for Connor, especially considering the little twist partway through that just so happened to not sway his goals--while he was still obsessed in taking down Charles Lee, it wasn't jsut for the sake of revenge (ie, "My mother's blood may stain another's hands, but Charles Lee is no less a monster."wink. But yeah, like you said, I think Edward's worth giving more time at this point before judging in full.

And to be fair, what I say on hunting can be better summed up as the rewards or benefits being better, just not as overwhelmingly so as some people claim (ie, actually comparing it to Far Cry 3's). The game as a whole is still proving to be an improvement overall t what it focuses on compared to 3, this coming from someone who had considered 3 my favorite since 2, so I just wouldn't quite say it's superior in "every conceivable way" as IGN said, but rather enough ways where it matters based on how it handles its mechanics and priorities.

Bear in mind Edward's handling on land and in combat are otherwise my only real complaints about the game and my not being quite that engaged in his arc is just a nitpick; everything about seafaring and the activities associated with the ocean are certainly proving to be nothing less than entertaining, and Ubisoft made a great choice in having it largely play out at the player's own leisure.I just wanted to get my initial complaints out of the way before getting to talk about any upcoming parts I may find myself enjoying, and between the fort-taking being the most action-packed in the series since its conception ala Brotherhood, Harpooning, Smuggler's dens, substantial and worthwhile yet conveniently streamlined upgrades, satisfying expansion on the naval mechanics, and the relatively consistent stealth mechanics, my complaints aren't nearly as harsh or impacting as I had made them out to sound. While I have run into one or two more bugs than I'd wanted, I have faith it's notthing that can't be patched.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
Eh, it's still arcade-y. Still a lot of fun though, especially since you can now board enemy vessels, though that gets old after a while, and you just want to sink the bastards.

But it's more fun exploring the sea than it is the cities. IMO.

This is sad, given that one of the game's hooks is history relieving, and the ship movement and combat is less realistic than you know, parkour.

Estacado
Game is phuckin glitched one of my assassination targets ran away after i used a berserker dart on him now he wont reappear and I cant completethe mission too bad since it was my last assassination mission.Wanted to get the pistol swords so badly.

BloodRawEngine
I keep ramming into things now ever since Anne Bonny became the new quartermaster. She's keeping me from panning out into travel speed...

BloodRawEngine
So I'd beaten ACIV a couple of nights ago, and am just doing some extra seafaring to build up to taking on the legendary ships.

My overall opinion on the game remains largely the same as it was early on, both the bad and the good, so I could say that I give the game points for consistency. I can really only word my judgement on this game in a take-and-give manner: Mission structure of the campaign is the most repetitive since AC1, and would be nearly as mind-numbing were it not for the game's overall scale, attempts at getting a little craftier with the tailing missions later on down the road (not that it completely undoes the monotony of it), and player-based pacing with the amount of content benefiting the main game really carrying things forward very well--it's always a satisfaction to see the upgrades of the Jackdaw in such a first hand manner.

I've covered my opinion the combat plenty of times before. In short: Combat is a 120% downgrade from AC3, and there's too much of it for this flaw to be otherwise inconsequential.

Stealth segments are plentiful, and solid altogether besides a few deadbeat ones in the main campaign (them being the ones that most often follow directly after the infuriatingly abundant tailing missions), but nothing compared to Brotherhood's "Da Vinci Invention" side missions imho. Most of the time, there's simply too many guards for the additions to gameplay to take as much advantage as they clearly intended it to. The campaign mission where you had to clear a path in Long Bay was great though, and I think the game could have SERIOUSLY benefited from more parts like that instead of whoring out tailing missions under some pretense that they were the series' most popular stealth sections. This game makes me just hate them.

People complained alot over AC3's initial glitches, I just gotta say none I encountered were as bad as some of IV's. At least three to five times, I had to restart the mission because the controls decided to have Edward control as if he was Connor when inside the main house of the Davenport Homestead. Then there's at least oneor two islands with Assassin Contracts that for some reason are unable to be interacted with, thus currently neutering my chances at the unlockables associated with them. And this is only a minor one, but whoever the hell Juan Garcia is, he must be both omnipresent and invisible, because his "Kill him" marker has not disappeared from the map or the gameplay in any area for as long as I can remember.

Seafaring is the game's main forteand they took it and all elements pertaining to it up to eleven, and that is definitely what saves the game from all the otherwise obvious drawbacks from AC3. Taking over the forts was by far the most exhilarating one imo, and how the game entails playing at your own pace for bigger scale or smaller made it so that the first one I took over was probably the hardest. Having a few extra songs on your Shanty playlist isn't exactly the biggest improvement over the Benjamin Franklin inventions if you ask me, but they at least added some level of gameplay importance to chasing the flying stationary. Harpooning is fun, if streamlined, and it only gets better the more you manage to recognize every animal's patterns and sharpen your skills accordingly. I barely ever pass up White Whale events.

Edward just isn't that interesting a protagonist to me, I'm gonna say that bluntly here and now. His flashier, upbeat side was amusing, but largley felt like just an attempt at capitalizing on what made Ezio so initially distinct from Altair. The difference is that Altair was and still is a bland character on all accounts, his 'cold, stoic badass' demeanor really just being a lack of any kind of demeanor. Connor was far more legitmately a composed, but passionate and endearing character who's traits and motives were not only clear, but his layers beyond were actually existent and interactive to a point in things like the Homestead missions. With Altair, they just introduced an arrogant ass for twenty minutes, erased that and made him an otherwise unexpressive and unengaging catalyst to control for 90% of the game, and then he expects us to find believability in his "hey I was an ass, my bad" bit near the last couple of missions. Edward is certainly better on a writing standpoint, but in the same ways Ezio and Connor were as well, and also partly because they added in a sense of charm to him, but that charm wasn't enough for me to overlook how gleefully ignorant he was about what an unrepentant ass-hat he was for just as long as Altair was a blank slate. When they finally did have the plot kick in Edward's big change, it felt like a contrived, last-minute plot dump to me. It was believable, but still not as entertaining to watch from a narrative point of view as Ezio's easily more organic growth in maturity but maintaining of his identity and most appealing traits throughout any one of his games or Connor's tenacity and strength of will being tested and refined at every turn. I understand they went for more of an anti-hero type character with Edward, but it was simply too static for the nature of this game's narrative in my opinion. I'm honestly looking more forward to Adewale's character arc in Freedom Cry right now than I ever did with Edward at any point in this game.

Altogether, the game is not NEARLY as big a jump forward from ACIII as some people might tout it to be, especially considering all the backsteps it takes from what AC3's engine introduced, but at the same time, that's also cuz AC3 isn't even a tenth as big a travesty as some people try to make it out to be. ACIV's still excellent for how well its obvious priorities carried it in a way that I don't think enough Adventure games do when trying to think outside the box (which is a principal problem I have with a game like Zelda: Majora's Mask). At it's worst, I hold it and ACIII in equal regard, which is pretty damn high within the genre and the series. If you find I'm too vocal over the negatives and not enough over the positives, it's simply because I'm too busy enjoying the positives to find the words to comment on them quite as lucidly, and really, isn't that the best thing that a positive aspect of a game can do? Render you speechless?

And Anne Bonny needs to stop being so distractingly hot.

Morridini
So quick question now that some people have finished it: is it fun? The main problem with A3 was that it was simply boring, especially the setting and characters.

wakkawakkawakka
Well AC4 is fun but you are going to notice that the combat downgraded a bit. Nonetheless the naval missions are funny and taking forts is really enjoyable. Though some may encounter glitches with the assassination contracts but I've yet to have this problem. Also the diving and hunting mini-games are a nice addition as well...then there's the boring board games that AC3 was riddled with too.

Overall its an entertaining game and I can't wait for the Freedom Cry DLC...hopefully it won't cost $30 like the Tyranny of Washington DLC.

BloodRawEngine
Everything related to the sea and ships is what's fun about the game. The worst that can be said is that it can become routine in the wrong hands. Everything else is heinously dumbed down from AC2/AC3 in whatever areas they were known best for. Combat, platforming, land traversal, city scale, and mission structure, animal hunting (besides harpooning), all played to the bare minimum at best (besides again, combat and mission structure, which are constantly swung between bare minimum and past the lowest common denominator). Havanah is the only noteworthy city, and not only is it nothing compared to Venice or the Frontier, but barely any gameplay is actually done there.

And as far as the characters in the plot go, you'll realize you're playing as the least interesting one. Hell, they made Desmond more interesting posthumously through the side content in modern sections than they tried to with Edward. Blackbeard was plenty entertaining, if still a stubborn dipshit (in fact, this game almost shamelessly makes all the pirates look like idiots in retrospect), and everyone else either went mad or was was as bland as Altair. Haytham was shown to be a ****ing borderline psychopath in AC3, but at least he offered some grander perspective between the Assassins and Templars when interacting with Connor. None of that is here. So basically, the characters are all fine and entertaining, but barely if ever relatable or endearing in any manner.

Arachnid1
So I'd beaten ACIV a couple of nights ago, and am just doing some extra seafaring to build up to taking on the legendary ships.

My overall opinion on the game remains largely the same as it was early on, both the bad and the good, so I could say that I give the game points for consistency. I can really only word my judgement on this game in a take-and-give manner: Mission structure of the campaign is the most repetitive since AC1, and would be nearly as mind-numbing were it not for the game's overall scale, attempts at getting a little craftier with the tailing missions later on down the road (not that it completely undoes the monotony of it), and player-based pacing with the amount of content benefiting the main game really carrying things forward very well--it's always a satisfaction to see the upgrades of the Jackdaw in such a first hand manner.

I've covered my opinion the combat plenty of times before. In short: Combat is a 120% downgrade from AC3, and there's too much of it for this flaw to be otherwise inconsequential.

Stealth segments are plentiful, and solid altogether besides a few deadbeat ones in the main campaign (them being the ones that most often follow directly after the infuriatingly abundant tailing missions), but nothing compared to Brotherhood's "Da Vinci Invention" side missions imho. Most of the time, there's simply too many guards for the additions to gameplay to take as much advantage as they clearly intended it to. The campaign mission where you had to clear a path in Long Bay was great though, and I think the game could have SERIOUSLY benefited from more parts like that instead of whoring out tailing missions under some pretense that they were the series' most popular stealth sections. This game makes me just hate them.

People complained alot over AC3's initial glitches, I just gotta say none I encountered were as bad as some of IV's. At least three to five times, I had to restart the mission because the controls decided to have Edward control as if he was Connor when inside the main house of the Davenport Homestead. Then there's at least oneor two islands with Assassin Contracts that for some reason are unable to be interacted with, thus currently neutering my chances at the unlockables associated with them. And this is only a minor one, but whoever the hell Juan Garcia is, he must be both omnipresent and invisible, because his "Kill him" marker has not disappeared from the map or the gameplay in any area for as long as I can remember.

Seafaring is the game's main forteand they took it and all elements pertaining to it up to eleven, and that is definitely what saves the game from all the otherwise obvious drawbacks from AC3. Taking over the forts was by far the most exhilarating one imo, and how the game entails playing at your own pace for bigger scale or smaller made it so that the first one I took over was probably the hardest. Having a few extra songs on your Shanty playlist isn't exactly the biggest improvement over the Benjamin Franklin inventions if you ask me, but they at least added some level of gameplay importance to chasing the flying stationary. Harpooning is fun, if streamlined, and it only gets better the more you manage to recognize every animal's patterns and sharpen your skills accordingly. I barely ever pass up White Whale events.

Edward just isn't that interesting a protagonist to me, I'm gonna say that bluntly here and now. His flashier, upbeat side was amusing, but largley felt like just an attempt at capitalizing on what made Ezio so initially distinct from Altair. The difference is that Altair was and still is a bland character on all accounts, his 'cold, stoic badass' demeanor really just being a lack of any kind of demeanor. Connor was far more legitmately a composed, but passionate and endearing character who's traits and motives were not only clear, but his layers beyond were actually existent and interactive to a point in things like the Homestead missions. With Altair, they just introduced an arrogant ass for twenty minutes, erased that and made him an otherwise unexpressive and unengaging catalyst to control for 90% of the game, and then he expects us to find believability in his "hey I was an ass, my bad" bit near the last couple of missions. Edward is certainly better on a writing standpoint, but in the same ways Ezio and Connor were as well, and also partly because they added in a sense of charm to him, but that charm wasn't enough for me to overlook how gleefully ignorant he was about what an unrepentant ass-hat he was for just as long as Altair was a blank slate. When they finally did have the plot kick in Edward's big change, it felt like a contrived, last-minute plot dump to me. It was believable, but still not as entertaining to watch from a narrative point of view as Ezio's easily more organic growth in maturity but maintaining of his identity and most appealing traits throughout any one of his games or Connor's tenacity and strength of will being tested and refined at every turn. I understand they went for more of an anti-hero type character with Edward, but it was simply too static for the nature of this game's narrative in my opinion. I'm honestly looking more forward to Adewale's character arc in Freedom Cry right now than I ever did with Edward at any point in this game.

Altogether, the game is not NEARLY as big a jump forward from ACIII as some people might tout it to be, especially considering all the backsteps it takes from what AC3's engine introduced, but at the same time, that's also cuz AC3 isn't even a tenth as big a travesty as some people try to make it out to be. ACIV's still excellent for how well its obvious priorities carried it in a way that I don't think enough Adventure games do when trying to think outside the box (which is a principal problem I have with a game like Zelda: Majora's Mask). At it's worst, I hold it and ACIII in equal regard, which is pretty damn high within the genre and the series. If you find I'm too vocal over the negatives and not enough over the positives, it's simply because I'm too busy enjoying the positives to find the words to comment on them quite as lucidly, and really, isn't that the best thing that a positive aspect of a game can do? Render you speechless?

And Anne Bonny needs to stop being so distractingly hot.

I haven't gotten very far yet. Only sequence 4. I've been focusing on 100% syncing, and getting every collectable in every area I visit before moving on to a new area. For the most part, I agree with everything you said.

Ezio is my favorite assassin because of how much I loved his characters charisma and drive to do whats right. Haytham is my all time favorite character in the series because of his proper manner, charm, and craziness. So far, Edward seems like a mix of both of them, but not as likable because of how much of an absolute tool he is. Maybe he'll end up topping Ezio for me by the end, but he hasn't come close to Haytham, and I don't think he will.

Anyway, so far the game has been a blast. I'm not much of a completionist, but this game has made the exploration genuinely fun to the point that I'm going for 100%. I like that everything you do actually has a tangible reward, unlike AC3. Gameplay wise, this is my favorite AC to date.

Story wise, I'm not so sure. I liked AC2 and AC3's stories the most. I'm not sure just yet what this games story is trying to do. It seems like it lacks aim. Then again, I'm only on sequence 4 so maybe that will change.

BloodRawEngine
Not to sound like I'm backpedaling on my pros and cons, but to be fair, the game was meant to be a little more self contained and lighter in tone on a plot standpoint from the start. At least in terms of the hisotrical period. To that end, the same can be applied to Edward, since there's virtually no intended interaction between him and Desmond like there was with Ezio being a catalyst for the First civ's messages, or Connor who's relationship with Haytham has a few parallels/correlations between Desmond and William. You could say he's more his own man in that sense, which goes well with his whole being a pirate thing. I doubt that was the intention, but it does seem like a nice bit of Fridge Brilliance when you think it like that.

The progress of the overarching story in the modern day sections are more subtle, but connections between the two eras do exist and become all the more wholesome eventually, especially the more you manage to hack comps and read the 'sticky notes' and such in the modern sections, and take the time to read the manuscripts you can find in bottles when in the Animus.

And again, all the subject 17 memos do a surprisingly good job of giving Desmond a little bit more relatability to him, especially with his (might I add, brilliantly performed) voice messages. Also, he apparently likes kittens.

Also, one funny tidbit in terms of unlockable vids in the modern sections involves the little research presentations from Abstergo to decide which historical figures (the previous AC protagonists), to allow the entertainment branch to research, and all of Desmond's previous Assassin ancestors (as in every previous player character besides Aveline) were all given the shaft while hearing Abstergo trying to twist as much of their background to make them sound as evil or unappealing as possible. 'Typical Templar Trolling Twists' for sure, but it's made even funnier when you get to Ezio, considering the fact that the voice speaking on the presentations is clearly Roger Craig Smith.

Arachnid1
Not to sound like I'm backpedaling on my pros and cons, but to be fair, the game was meant to be a little more self contained and lighter in tone on a plot standpoint from the start. At least in terms of the hisotrical period. To that end, the same can be applied to Edward, since there's virtually no intended interaction between him and Desmond like there was with Ezio being a catalyst for the First civ's messages, or Connor who's relationship with Haytham has a few parallels/correlations between Desmond and William. You could say he's more his own man in that sense, which goes well with his whole being a pirate thing. I doubt that was the intention, but it does seem like a nice bit of Fridge Brilliance when you think it like that.

The progress of the overarching story in the modern day sections are more subtle, but connections between the two eras do exist and become all the more wholesome eventually, especially the more you manage to hack comps and read the 'sticky notes' and such in the modern sections, and take the time to read the manuscripts you can find in bottles when in the Animus.

And again, all the subject 17 memos do a surprisingly good job of giving Desmond a little bit more relatability to him, especially with his (might I add, brilliantly performed) voice messages. Also, he apparently likes kittens.

Also, one funny tidbit in terms of unlockable vids in the modern sections involves the little research presentations from Abstergo to decide which historical figures (the previous AC protagonists), to allow the entertainment branch to research, and all of Desmond's previous Assassin ancestors (as in every previous player character besides Aveline) were all given the shaft while hearing Abstergo trying to twist as much of their background to make them sound as evil or unappealing as possible. 'Typical Templar Trolling Twists' for sure, but it's made even funnier when you get to Ezio, considering the fact that the voice speaking on the presentations is clearly Roger Craig Smith.

The new modern day take is a significant improvement over Desmonds story IMO. I never really liked Desmond, so I was happy when he bit the dust.

As for all those little unlockable tidbits, I had no idea that was included. Time to go hunting in modern day. Thanks for the tip

BloodRawEngine
The more I revisit all the ancient ruins on some of the islands, the more I'm starting to hope the next Assassin's Creed game touches on ancient Mayan or general Mesoamerican culture and the likes. How thrilling would it be to see an Assassin's Creed game's vision of a thriving Machu Picchu as an Assassin in those times? Or hell, even just traveling to the ruins through the countryside as Edward or Connor on some sort of Assassin's pilgrimage ie Ezio circa Revelations. I don't think the series has ever quite tackled such a mountainous region, and while I know alot of people would disagree, I'd rather see that right now than a setting in Japan or China (though I'd still accept the next game taking place in there; the potential for those eras was always bursting at the top).

Arachnid1
I finally got around to beating this, and am currently at 95% sync for the entire game including collectables.

Overall, this is my favorite AC game, and Edward became my favorite assassin (passing up Ezio) and my favorite character in the series (passing up Haytham).

I thought the story was a ton more enjoyable than its ever been. Almost every single character grew on me, which made it that much harder of a hit when they were all wiped out (Vane, Mary, Blackbeard). My god, Vanes voice actor was perfect. What an amazing pirate. I wish he was featured more in the main story. The mission where he and Edward are marooned on that island for weeks-months and the mission were you revisit everyone in jail were my favorites in the game. Amazing story missions. Mary grew on me from her (his) first encounter. That was a damn sad death, and you could see the loss on Edwards face. Blackbeard was the most well rounded and 3 dimensional character in the game except for Edward. Outstanding voice actor. That had to be the best incarnation of Blackbeard I've ever seen in popular media.

The ending were Edward met his daughter and found that his wife had been dead for years was sad, but I like that they left off on the lighthearted note of Edward settling down with his family. Its a shame they never show how it all ends for him (killed in a home invasion, with his daughter and son abducted).

But besides that, this game didn't feel very lighthearted. It started with a lighthearted and free tone at the peak of the golden age of piracy, but watching every pirate Edward knew get picked off one by one until they were all gone felt suffocating. After watching all that, I was sure this game was going to end with him dieing Edwards life felt bleaker than any other AC characters until the very end (except maybe Conner since his tribe ended up forced into the trail of tears and everyone he cared about died). It doesn't help that Edward also has a sad post-game ending to his life.

Another thing I liked is how Edward eventually seemed wiser after all his loss and suffering. At first it was all about riches and himself, but towards the end it was all about righting his wrongs and adopting the Creed after he finally understood what it meant after a lifetime of twisting it for his own gain. Edward managed more personal growth in one game than any other assassin. Ezio still grew to be the wisest of the assassins, but that was after 3 games. He definitely wasn't as different by the end of AC2 as Edward was by the end of AC4.

Outstanding game. I'm not sure how any future AC will surpass this one for me honestly. Its hard to get excited again after experiencing the pirate age. Time to finish up the collectables and get that last 5%.

BloodRawEngine
Finished Freedom Cry a little while ago at about 90% total synch. Goes without saying my only real flaws with the DLC's gameplay functions and changes is that really, I think there should've been more of all of that. The map is about a sixth or so the size of the main game's with at least one or two places of the seafaring activities like harpooning and diving.

The missions in the main campaign are pretty straigtforward, but felt thankfully more open-ended than the mind-numbing tailling missions in ACIV. Bear in mind that there are still some in this game, but generally don't last nearly as long, and there's also more variety of what each mission has you do. Tailing missions and eavesdropping acts more as a means of information gathering than a tediously long precursor to stealth sections of varying quality.

There's only one city in the DLC called Port-au-Prince, with the hub being a brothel and a cove that leads to it. Chances are you won't spend much time in those particular areas outside of going to the former to initiate missions. The city itself is pretty compact, maybe a bit too much, but considering the scale of the rest of Freedom Cry, I suppose it's consistent. That, and it never really felt cripplingly small. IE, it's bigger than Nassau, for sure, but smaller than Kingston.

The city is where you'll be freeing your first chunk of slaves, by means including killing pursuers chasing after an escapee, looting a key from a pen-keeper, buying them in auctions (or killing the auctioneer if you're so inclined), or killing a slavemaster in the middle of punishing a couple of slaves. These are the kinds of ones you'll find scattered across the city, and they usually only net you one to two Maroons. The more slaves you free, the more unlockables you'll also achieve. Once you get your ship, you'll also be able to find slave ships out at sea with escort ships that you have to destroy without causing too much damage to the slave ship before you board it. This actually ain't as frustrating as it sounds so long as you can drive the escort ships away from the slave ship. It wasn't for me, anyway.

The main gist of stealth sections comes from liberating plantations across the sea and Port-au-Prince. Maybe I subconciously got better or more patient in my hiatus from the game, but honestly, compared to the stealth sections in the main game, these actually felt alot more fun to do in my opinion. The main objective is to slay about 20 of the enemies without being detected, lest they start killing off slaves. The enemies are all across the areas and you can also recruit some of your allies to fight them off for you. All the things you could do as Edward to distract guards you can do here, and the general layout of each area makes doing so a lot more ideal and generally more well-designed. There aren't many areas that have half a dozen guards crowding any one spot where they can see you at every corner, which makes sabotaging the alarm bells alot easier for example. they usually net you a good 30 or so freed slaves, so if you're low, they're worth the effort.

IGN's review pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as my opinion on Adewale and Edward go as protagonists, in terms of their respective plights, and more importantly, their manner at going about them. I've made it clear before that Edward is far from my favorite protagonist in the series on pretty much any of his merits and any sense of development for his character was insultingly rushed and contrived; Adewale seems every bit as passionate at achieving his goals as Edward seemed, but in far a more balanced way (at least as much as possible considering the length of the DLC) that really does a good job of being consistent with how Adewale kind of acted as the voice of reason that resonated the most with me personally. He's more fully-rounded from the start than Edward was, so more of his story is spent experiencing how he expresses it and the challenges he faces than him going through any major changes. There's also some off-hand dialogue that also goes into some more depth of how and why he found the Assassin Brotherhood to be more his calling. Obviously, there's only so much of all that that a 3-5 hour DLC can get across. Like the rest of the DLC, the only thing that would've made Ade's character arc here better is if there was more of it. In short, while his motives in this arc are almost redundantly in-common with the likes of Connor or Ezio circa Brotherhood (though I'd argue that was Ezio's definitive arc in his trilogy), it's also one of the reasons I have to say that I think they should've just made Adewale the protagonist of the whole game.

Also, Adewale's machete is yet another weapon that blows Edward's dual cutlasses out of the water. It functions basically like that of a heavy version of Connor's tomahawk, which I'm all for since that was my favorite weapon in the series to fight with. One or two of his kill animations are downright disturbing too. Hell, there's this one where he jams the machete into the side of his victim, lets it go and then wails on the guy before yanking it back out. Countering is alot more responsive too it seems and altogether, the weapon feels just plain smoother than Edward's swords. Ironic, considering the more brutish style, but I'm not complaining.

The soundtrack of the DLC is also surprisingly really good. I'd go as far to say that I prefer the naval battle tracks in Freedom Cry to all but one of Black Flag's.

Morridini
Very brief post: Got this game for Christmas, played it past sequence 7 I think and explored a lot of the world. Really like it, an immense improvement over AC3, and I actually like these modern day sections too.

So far I have only been pissed off at one mission, which was the "Fireship" one, most of all of them have been great (but a bit too much "Tail Mr. X"wink.

Smasandian
Yeah, there is a fair bit of tailing. I think they need to find some new gameplay elements for the next game. Or at least, the on foot part of the game.

There is a bit too much tailing and chasing.

I also liked the modern sections but I have no idea why they left the majority of workstation hacking to the absolute latest. After 40 hours or so playing the game, I just wanted the game to end and hacking another 10ish machines was way too much.

Morridini
Hmm, I don't know how much is left of the game for me, but I think I have hacked about 22 terminals by sequence 8, so to me it doesn't feel dragged out.

wakkawakkawakka
Hmm...so it sound like the Freedom Cry DLC might actually be some fun. I was skeptical of buying considering I was turned of by the "Tyranny of Washington" DLC AC3 had: mostly due to it being absurdly overpriced IMO. But considering this DLC is cheaper and its gotten good reviews I'll try it out. Hopefully its doesn't feel as short as people have said it to be.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Morridini
Hmm, I don't know how much is left of the game for me, but I think I have hacked about 22 terminals by sequence 8, so to me it doesn't feel dragged out.

It wasn't dragged out.

I just wish they had more terminal during the course of the game instead of like 10-15 just before the ending.

After playing for 40-50 hours and pretty much getting everything except for animus fragments and chests on ocean islands, I didn't feel like getting the last 10-15 terminals just before the game ended.

BackFire
Game's solid. Still with there was a proper stealth mechanic, though. Christ, just let me duck or crawl, please. PLEASE. I like being able to fast travel so easily and quickly and to so many places.

Also looks very pretty on the PS4.

Smasandian
Yeah, it looks very pretty on the new consoles.

And I agree, just want to duck, or get into some sort of cover.

-Pr-
So I started playing this after struggling through the latter stages of 3.

Enjoyed it a lot until I got to the Assassin Island. All of the shortcomings in Assassin's Creed's stealth system really reach up and slap you in the face at this point. Some really bad detection of enemies and cover at times means I've had to restart sections four or five times.

This is not fun.

Smasandian
I didn't have too much trouble with the stealth system. There is plenty of cover. I got used to the system after awhile. Berserker darts are your friend.

I do agree stealth needs to be completely reworked or removed. I don't know why they don't steal Splinter Cell system and put it in there.

-Pr-
I didn't have too much trouble with the stealth system. There is plenty of cover. I got used to the system after awhile. Berserker darts are your friend.

I do agree stealth needs to be completely reworked or removed. I don't know why they don't steal Splinter Cell system and put it in there.

I don't have berserker darts at this point.

What I'm talking about is how when you whistle, the prompt doesn't always appear, and you get discovered. I ended up getting past it by moving forwards at the last second and grabbing them, but it's a lack of consistency that annoys me.

Smasandian
Hmm, strange. I guess I just got used to it and just got near them and then stabbed them.

-Pr-
Hmm, strange. I guess I just got used to it and just got near them and then stabbed them.

For me, sometimes they'll walk right up to me and I can just stab them. Sometimes they won't, and I'll be discovered unless I move closer and stab them.

I don't actually mind that I have to, it just would have been nice to know beforehand, instead of the tutorial at the start (iirc) telling me they would walk right up to me. I ended up feeling like it was a bug or just bad design.

BackFire
Please give me a proper stealth mechanic in the next game. Pleeeeease. So sick of leaving thick bushes and then standing up like a dipshit automatically. If you're going to have a half broken stealth mechanic at least make it so there aren't any missions REQUIRING stealth.

Smasandian
Yeah, that's the worst.

Even though I really, really enjoyed AC4 I want them to do something different now.

I probably enjoyed the game the most because it reminded me of Sid Meirs Pirates. A game I used to play in the early 90's.

-Pr-
Originally posted by BackFire
Please give me a proper stealth mechanic in the next game. Pleeeeease. So sick of leaving thick bushes and then standing up like a dipshit automatically. If you're going to have a half broken stealth mechanic at least make it so there aren't any missions REQUIRING stealth.

Agreed. There are far too many missions requiring stealth in a game (and series) that doesn't do stealth that well.

Other than that, though, I love the game to bits. It's a lot of fun, it's well written, and though the combat is very easy, it still looks great.

Yeah, that's the worst.

Even though I really, really enjoyed AC4 I want them to do something different now.

I probably enjoyed the game the most because it reminded me of Sid Meirs Pirates. A game I used to play in the early 90's.

Something Asian, hopefully.

Nephthys
Assassin's Creed V: Ninja, with redesigned stealth. thumb up

Bentley
Originally posted by -Pr-
Something Asian, hopefully.

Stop projecting your asian fetish into gaming ahah

-Pr-
Originally posted by Bentley
Stop projecting your asian fetish into gaming ahah

It's not a fetish!

sad

Smasandian
An asian game would be excellent.

Maybe even have some open battles!

-Pr-
An asian game would be excellent.

Maybe even have some open battles!

Agreed. One of my biggest grips about 3 was that they teased that kind of stuff and yet didn't give it to us.

Bentley
It's not a fetish!

sad

At least we agree it is something, we only use different words to name it uhuh

Smasandian
Agreed. One of my biggest grips about 3 was that they teased that kind of stuff and yet didn't give it to us.

They also need to get rid of eavesdropping missions. Or at least strictly limit them.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Bentley
At least we agree it is something, we only use different words to name it uhuh

Lies!

They also need to get rid of eavesdropping missions. Or at least strictly limit them.

Yeah; those were so bad at times. You have to follow them but you can't be detected. And you can't use the rooftops in 3 without getting seen far too often. So you have to risk detection every second. A challenge is one thing; bad design is another.

-Pr-
So I managed to get to the sequence where Mary dies, only to have Uplay lose my save during a reinstall even though it was supposed to be on the cloud. I think though, i'm far enough to give an idea of what I think of the game.

Anyway... Yeah, I love the game since I've restarted. Best Assassin's Creed since 2, imo, and yes, while there are the usual Asssassin's Creed issues (badly explained mechanics, not-always-accurate parkour), the game still has so much to offer that I can't not enjoy it as much as any game I played last year.

Getting the darts is a real game-changer, and it was after I got those that I really felt like the game became far more accessible.

Even after losing my save, I'm playing to try to finish it. That's how much I enjoyed it.

Estacado
^
Told you this game is awesome.313

-Pr-
Originally posted by Estacado
^
Told you this game is awesome.313

I was disappointed as hell with 3, but damn, they really turned it around with this one.

Easily in my top 5 of 2013.

Estacado
Same here.
It's amazing that how much you can do in the game,shark hunting,taking over fortresses,locating treasures ,doing naval missions,assassin missions the side missions alone make it worth playing.
Get the mayan armor for collecting those mayan treasures it looks phuckin badass and is bulletproof.

-Pr-
Same here.
It's amazing that how much you can do in the game,shark hunting,taking over fortresses,locating treasures ,doing naval missions,assassin missions the side missions alone make it worth playing.
Get the mayan armor for collecting those mayan treasures it looks phuckin badass and is bulletproof.

seriously? bulletproof?

I got the Templar armour, and I didn't notice any benefit from it, so I got rid of it, but damn, i'd want that mayan armour.

Estacado
Get it!Its the most awesome thing in the game it is indeed bulletproof and it looks like an awesome power armor.

Mayan outfit.
http://www.gosunoob.com/ac4-black-flag/mayan-stelae-outfit-stones-guide/attachment/mayan_outfit_look/ http://www.gosunoob.com/ac4-black-flag/mayan-stelae-outfit-stones-guide/attachment/mayan_outfit_look/

Location guide:
http://www.gosunoob.com/ac4-black-flag/mayan-stelae-outfit-stones-guide/

Also.completing all naval missions gets you the best set of pistols while the assassin missions give you the best set of swords.

-Pr-
Ok, I'll be honest, that's badass.

I'll pick it up, definitely.

Not looking at the guide though. I want to do it myself lol.

Estacado
Hurry up then Castlevania Los 2 is only 2 weeks away.313

-Pr-
Hurry up then Castlevania Los 2 is only 2 weeks away.313

Still haven't played the first one.

Estacado
Try the demo now...uhuh

-Pr-
lol, I played the demo a while back. It was fun.

JuggernautMania
Get it!Its the most awesome thing in the game it is indeed bulletproof and it looks like an awesome power armor.

Mayan outfit.
http://www.gosunoob.com/ac4-black-flag/mayan-stelae-outfit-stones-guide/attachment/mayan_outfit_look/ http://www.gosunoob.com/ac4-black-flag/mayan-stelae-outfit-stones-guide/attachment/mayan_outfit_look/

Location guide:
http://www.gosunoob.com/ac4-black-flag/mayan-stelae-outfit-stones-guide/

Also.completing all naval missions gets you the best set of pistols while the assassin missions give you the best set of swords.

i am working my way up to the outfit already got 10 out of 16 but i am in the middle of the single player so i must porgress with the story to unlock more.

JuggernautMania
the thing that anoys me the most in black flag is the fact every time i go out to the ocean 2 minutes and it starting to rain and storm. i got tired of this BS this is a thropical game why must every time i go out to the ocean it starts to rain and looks all grimmy and grey. its like developers in the gaming industry just cant live without putting grim into games. wow he goes out to sail in the ocean of course there is no sense in making it sunny and enjoyable lets make it rain storm and dark.

Arachnid1
dPqPrTGI-D4#t=157

For anyone that cares, this game is free with gold this month. I highly recommend picking it up. Its hands down the best AC game.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.