A Good Fight for the Man-Thing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Oliver North
To begin, the character in question is "Classic" Man-Thing (before he was reduced to a less interesting version of Blink in the Thunderbolts/Fear Itself/Dark Avengers series). His respect thread can be found here.

So the premise of this thread is fairly straight forward: I want input into who you all think would be an even match for Man-Thing, in that, they would win 4-6/10 against him. So, while this may sound simple, it isn't necessarily so, as Man-Thing's specific powerset tends to create situations where it is inconceivable that he or his opponent would ever damage one another, or where he or his opponent have specific powers that ensure a 10/10 victory scenario.

Let me give a few examples:

Against opponents who Man-Thing couldn't physically damage (or who regenerate fast enough), the battles become unending if they rely on physical force. So, versus either Hulk, Deadpool, Juggernaut or Wolverine, while none of these opponents would do lasting damage to Man-Thing, the damage he did would be unlikely to give him a clear KO. Man-Thing may score a couple of wins via ooze suffocation, but not so much that it makes these "even" fights. Just to clarify, while it may be possible to interpret "endless" fights as "even", it isn't what I'm going for. Both people getting 0/10 is not the same as one getting 4-6/10.

I think the above is also true for most "blasters" who don't have specific fire/ice abilities (things Man-Thing has specific weaknesses to). With no doubt, Man-Thing could tear Cyclops limb from limb if he were able, however, without biasing the conditions of the fight totally in Man-Thing's favor, in a forum situation, there is no way he gets within striking distance of Cyclops, while Cyclops really doesn't have the ability to put down Man-Thing for a KO. In terms of freezing him, this would work 100% of the time, so Iceman or even Mr. Freeze would win 10/10. Fire is the same, though, Man-Things ability to regenerate from essentially nothing makes it a longer fight. As opposed to force blasts generated by someone like Cyclops, fire based attacks can absolutely destroy the plant matter that makes Man-Thing, where force, at best, can just scatter it.

Psychics, magic users, TK, magneto-esque powers, making constructs, etc. All of these powersets win 10/10 against Manny, whereas anyone around mid-high meta who doesn't rely on powerful ranged attacks, regeneration or extreme durability almost certainly loses 10/10.

Ha, alright, that is my tl;dr ramble about a character most people aren't that interested in. I've been thinking for a long time in an attempt to get a good fight for Manny that people will get into, but this might be a better method. Thanks!

byrdgang21
Phobos??
Gorgon?? (Stone stare)
Raven??
Nimrod??
Meggan??
Poison Ivy??

Oliver North
Originally posted by byrdgang21
Phobos??
Meggan??

For Phobos for sure, and if I understand Meggan's powers correctly, they can project fear into their opponent. Man-Thing is vulnerable to this, and is generally destroyed outright (anything that feels fear, even man-thing himself, burns at Man-Thing's touch). If the battle took place in his Nexus swamp, he might be able to regenerate from it, but either character would be able to do this perpetually.

Meggan may not realize this strategy outright, however, for her and:

Raven??
Nimrod??

their powersets are so diverse that Man-Thing should never get near to them and they probably have something that can destroy him (I believe all have some type of fire blasts?).

Raven is interesting though. I don't know the character, so I wiki'd it; if she goes for a possession attempt, or merging her "astral form" with Man-Thing's mind, it will likely fail. While it is very easy to control Man-Thing with TP or magic, possession fails because Man-Thing's mind is a distributed mess throughout his body. Raven is more likely to end up trapped in Man-Thing's psyche than to influence him if that is how her TP works. Normal TP is an insta-win. So, she wins 10/10 unless she goes for a possession, and loses any time she does that. EDIT: It may also work this way for Meggan if she tried to mimic Man-Thing's powers.

This is sort of similar to:

Gorgon?? (Stone stare)

Where the question is, "does this one specific power work, if not, fail". For Gorgon, if the stone stare fails (and Manny has resisted magic from an actual Gorgon), Man-Thing tears him apart.

or similarly:

Poison Ivy??

Characters like her and Plantman/Blackheath I think are the closest. It would all depend on whether Man-Thing is considered a "plant" that could be "controlled" by them. If not, can Poison Ivy regenerate herself after being beaten and/or burned to death?

psycho gundam
Daredevil

Oliver North
Originally posted by psycho gundam
Daredevil

I get the man-without-fear thing, but outside of that, there is little DD has in this fight. He can't harm Manny, and his martial arts are as likely to get him tangled in Man-Thing's goo as not. Man-Thing can tag Spider-Man or the Lizard, and he is strong enough to literally rip DD apart. I'd say MT 10/10.

psycho gundam
Daredevil

golem370
Crystal
Sandman
Marvel Scarecrow- http://www.rapsheet.co.uk/RapSheetMain/Character2.asp?UniqueId=12

tkitna
Psycho Man

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.