The Avengers vs Green Lantern

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lestov16
Fight takes place in Times Square
No PIS/CIS Full bloodlust on
No prep
Who takes it?

golem370
From the Green Lantern movie?

Robtard
All Hal has to do is apply Kilowog's lesson and create a mini-sun with the same gravitational pull of Earth's sun.

juggerman
Interesting. Hal was pretty above most of this team. The only real problem is Thor imo and he shouldn't be too difficult. I think GL takes at least 7/10

Silent Master
Only he was never shown as able to do so.

He's got the Avengers beat in flight speed by a rather large margin, but his ability to deal damage wasn't that impressive.

focus4chumps
plus GL was a stupid crappy movie

juggerman
Originally posted by Silent Master
Only he was never shown as able to do so.

He's got the Avengers beat in flight speed by a rather large margin, but his ability to deal damage wasn't that impressive.

He's shown the ability to launch someone into outer space tho.

Silent Master
Originally posted by juggerman
He's shown the ability to launch someone into outer space tho.

Who did Hal launch into outer space?

juggerman
Himself.

Silent Master
Himself.

So he's going to run away?

FrothByte
Avengers take it quite handily. Hal was still too green (no pun intended) in his movie. All of the Avengers are battle-tested veterans. Hal may have more potential power than any of the Avengers but he's not quite as good at using it yet. When he has multiple opponents attacking him from multiple sides and said opponents can launch multiple attacks each, I doubt he has the speed, reflexes, or mastery to block each one and counter attack.

Plus his durability leaves a lot to be desired. A single hit from Hulk or Thor, or even IM and his many missiles, should be enough to stun Hal if not outright knock him out.

Even one on one he's going to have trouble going against either IM or Thor, as both guys have shown better combat speed, power mastery, and overall toughness and badassery than GL did.

BruceSkywalker
The Avengers win here..

heck Thor prolly solos.. Hal is weakasssauce here..

heck even Cap prolly solos too lolololol

Robtard
LoL, no, people.

Hal could take hits from all the Avengers at once and probably laugh. By the end of the film, his shielding allows him to casually withstand the heat and gravitational forces of the Sun on his body without even flinching.

End of the film, he and Sinestro were having a homoerotic conversation right next to the Sun.

Silent Master
Yet, he was being hurt in his fights by force far below that amount.

Robtard
Yet, he was being hurt in his fights by force far below that amount.

End of the film he wasn't, once he mastered the ring and his will power was unshakable.

Also, pretty sure this is a dupe thread.

Silent Master
I don't recall him taking any punches/hits during the end of the movie.

Robtard
I don't recall him taking any punches/hits during the end of the movie.

Do you recall him floating right outside the Sun's surface?

Silent Master
I also recall him standing next to a simulated version of that earlier in the movie and yet he still was getting rocked in his fights.

So until I see him tank hits in a fight, he can't do it.

Robtard
I also recall him standing next to a simulated version of that earlier in the movie and yet he still was getting rocked in his fights.

So until I see him tank hits in a fight, he can't do it.

Yes, I mentioned that. The training scene, when he had no idea what his powers could really do and he had the confidence of a teenage girl. I'm talking about the end of the film, with the actual Sun and where his powers and will power where far superior than his earlier untrained self.

Tanking the Sun > fist, even from Hulk and Thor.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Robtard
LoL, no, people.

Hal could take hits from all the Avengers at once and probably laugh. By the end of the film, his shielding allows him to casually withstand the heat and gravitational forces of the Sun on his body without even flinching.

End of the film, he and Sinestro were having a homoerotic conversation right next to the Sun.

that wasn't a shield though.. Hal created a little shield but then was forcibly thrown into a parked vehicle several feet away after Parallex fired at him..

Do you recall him floating right outside the Sun's surface?

i do as i have the film on dvr for thread purposes..

Robtard
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
that wasn't a shield though.. Hal created a little shield but then was forcibly thrown into a parked vehicle several feet away after Parallex fired at him..

i do as i have the film on dvr for thread purposes..

He always has a personal shield on when his powers are activated. It surrounds him. Allows him to survive hits, survive in space etc.

I'd watch the very end again.

Silent Master
Yes, I mentioned that. The training scene, when he had no idea what his powers could really do and he had the confidence of a teenage girl. I'm talking about the end of the film, with the actual Sun and where his powers and will power where far superior than his earlier untrained self.

Tanking the Sun > fist, even from Hulk and Thor.

The Sun didn't hit him, what feats do you have of GL tanking hits/energy blasts?

Robtard
The Sun didn't hit him, what feats do you have of GL tanking hits/energy blasts?

He was right next to it's surface, so he'd be subject to massive heat and gravitational forces on his body.

His training scene and Parallax's blast though. But that's inferior to his Sun feat. Are you trying to lol troll?

Silent Master
He was right next to it's surface, so he'd be subject to massive heat and gravitational forces on his body.

Parallax's blast though. But that's inferior to his Sun feat. Are you trying to lol troll?

Exactly how close was he and how much force was he under?

FrothByte
LoL, no, people.

Well the temperature and gravity of the sun is a constant thing, quite different from the concentrated force of a punch or a strike. Granted, it was still a very impressive feat for GL (and one that I forgot about till you mentioned it), but I think it's different from him trying to shield against random hits and strikes.

Kinda like how a spacesuit can protect you against the vacuum of space and exposure to the sun, yet you'll still get hurt if someone hits you with a steel pipe.

Robtard
Exactly how close was he and how much force was he under?

Went right up to its surface before he turned around, as to trap Parallax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_sun

Silent Master
Originally posted by FrothByte
Well the temperature and gravity of the sun is a constant thing, quite different from the concentrated force of a punch or a strike. Granted, it was still a very impressive feat for GL (and one that I forgot about till you mentioned it), but I think it's different from him trying to shield against random hits and strikes.

Kinda like how a spacesuit can protect you against the vacuum of space and exposure to the sun, yet you'll still get hurt if someone hits you with a steel pipe.

Exactly, it a vague feat with no way to determine how much force he was withstanding. Not to mention that it was taking all the concentration he had, it'd be kind of hard to maintain that amount of focus while being attacked by multiple people

Robtard

Think you're underselling it with your analogy.

All in all, Thor and Hulk are the only real threats. Hal doesn't even have to use his imagination here, he can copy Kilowog and create a mini sun.

Silent Master

Again, exactly how close was he and how much force was he under?

Robtard
Exactly, it a vague feat with no way to determine how much force he was withstanding. Not to mention that it was taking all the concentration he had, it'd be kind of hard to maintain that amount of focus while being attacked by multiple people

"Was talking casually with Sinestro."

Silent Master
Think you're underselling it with your analogy.

All in all, Thor and Hulk are the only real threats. Hal doesn't even have to use his imagination here, he can copy Kilowog and create a mini sun.

When did Hal show the ability to do this in the movie?

Robtard
Again, exactly how close was he and how much force was he under?

I told you, right 'next to the Sun.' Have you not seen the film?

Enough gravitational pull to keep a small planet trapped that is 5.9 billion km away.

FrothByte

Yes yes, what I'm trying to say is, the gravity and heat of the sun will effect your entire body. It will pull his entire body in not just pieces of him. Which is somewhat different from an amount of force concentrated to a smaller area, say like Thor's fist.

I know I'm getting technical here, but being able to resist a constant force sometimes does not equate to resisting an explosive force.

Silent Master
I told you, right 'next to the Sun.' Have you not seen the film?

Enough gravitational pull to keep a small planet trapped that is 5.9 billion km away.

IOW, you don't know.

Robtard
When did Hal show the ability to do this in the movie?

Are we going to do the "he can only create exactly what he created and nothing else" tactics ? Despite his power being limited only to his imagination and to create a mini-sun he only needs to copy something someone else already did?

Robtard
Yes yes, what I'm trying to say is, the gravity and heat of the sun will effect your entire body. It will pull his entire body in not just pieces of him. Which is somewhat different from an amount of force concentrated to a smaller area, say like Thor's fist.

I know I'm getting technical here, but being able to resist a constant force sometimes does not equate to resisting an explosive force.

So if a character can survive an Abrams tank being lowered onto them, it's not safe to say then can tank normal punches?

Again, you're way underselling his durability.

Silent Master

NASA has built a probe that can withstand being in the corona of the Sun, I suppose Robtard believes that neither Ironman, Thor or the Hulk would be able to damage it.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2010/12/just-ask-flying-into-the-sun.html

Robtard
NASA has built a probe that can withstand being in the corona of the Sun, I suppose Robtard believes that neither Ironman, Thor or the Hulk would be able to damage it.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2010/12/just-ask-flying-into-the-sun.html

Corona isn't "center", which is what I think you were going for.

"After 21 circles, it will fall into a stable orbit at the 4-million-mile distance from the sun's center. That's well within the corona, the fiery atmosphere beyond the sun's ball."

Try again?

FrothByte
So if a character can survive an Abrams tank being lowered onto them, it's not safe to say then can tank normal punches?

Again, you're way underselling his durability.

What I'm saying is that if a character can survive having an Abrams tank resting on top of him, it doesn't mean that he can survive getting hit by a car going at 100 mph.

We have a lot of strongmen and people from Ripley's believe it or not who can withstand a pickup truck rolling on top of their bellies. But I seriously doubt they can withstand a full-forced blow of a sledgehammer to their bellies.

Silent Master
What I'm saying is that if a character can survive having an Abrams tank resting on top of him, it doesn't mean that he can survive getting hit by a car going at 100 mph.

We have a lot of strongmen and people from Ripley's believe it or not who can withstand a pickup truck rolling on top of their bellies. But I seriously doubt they can withstand a full-forced blow of a sledgehammer to their bellies.

Looks like a standard shuttle could get within 1.3 million miles, that is 2.7 million miles closer than the probe.

http://gizmodo.com/5590713/they-figure-it-out-so-you-dont-have-to-how-close-to-the-sun-can-you-survive

Robtard
1.3 million miles is a pretty big distance.

When Nasa gets right up to the ball, LMK.

Silent Master
So, what is the difference between the temp and gravity at 1.3 million miles and what Hal withstood?

Robtard
The closer you are, the more heat and gravity you're subjected to. This is what Hal relied on in trapping Parralax. See: Mercury and Pluto.

Regardless, Hal drops a mini-sun and it's over. Hal can easily withstand it, non of the Avengers have shown they could survive that.

Silent Master
So, what is the difference between the temp and gravity at 1.3 million miles and what Hal withstood?

Robtard
I don't work for NASA, so I can't give an exact number, which is what you're trolling for.

Silent Master
I don't work for NASA, so I can't give an exact number, which is what you're trolling for.

Then at best, all you can say is that his shield is better than a standard shuttle.

FrothByte
Then at best, all you can say is that his shield is better than a standard shuttle.

And here the question we ask is, is IM, Thor, or Hulk capable of destroying the hull of a shuttle?

Robtard

Agreed, his shield is better than a shuttle. You've accomplished nothing. Congrats?

Robtard
And here the question we ask is, is IM, Thor, or Hulk capable of destroying the hull of a shuttle?

His shield is better than the hull of a shuttle.

Silent Master

Robtard
But Hal's "better" than a shuttle.

Silent Master
But Hal's "better" than a shuttle.

By how much?

Robtard
By how much?

Enough to right next to the sun.

Tell me:

Can the space whales survive being right next to the sun?

Can Thor survive being right next to the sun (disregarding that he'd suffocate due to no breathable atmosphere)?

ares834

Why should that matter?

A shuttle sure as hell won't be able to withstand the forces Hal took.

Silent Master
Originally posted by ares834
Why should that matter?

A shuttle sure as hell won't be able to withstand the forces Hal took.

What is the difference between what the shuttle can take and what Hal did, and please cite the source for your numbers.

Silent Master
Enough to right next to the sun.

Tell me:

Can the space whales survive being right next to the sun?

Can Thor survive being right next to the sun (disregarding that he'd suffocate due to no breathable atmosphere)?

Which is how much?

playa1258
Hal has power to win, but he is to much of a rookie to fight against the Avengers. Anyway in June I expect a flame war when Man of Steel Comes out.

Silent Master
Originally posted by playa1258
Hal has power to win, but he is to much of a rookie to fight against the Avengers. Anyway in June I expect a flame war when Man of Steel Comes out.

Unless they F up the movie, Superman should win most any thread....the only reason I've ever given anyone a chance against him is that up until now his movie versions have had the fighting skills of a crippled 6 year old.

marwash22
Originally posted by playa1258
Hal has power to win, but he is to much of a rookie to fight against the Avengers. Anyway in June I expect a flame war when Man of Steel Comes out. a flame war in regards to what?

We can end the discussion of Superman vs The Avengers before it even starts. The movie isn't even out and it's already completely obvious that Superman would wreck the Avengers.

Lestov16
It would seem people are unaware of how gravity works. Also LOL at requiring for an exact quantitative measurement of the force of The Sun. And I'm damn sure whatever shuttle NASA built can't withstand the Sun's impact like Hal did. I completely agree with Robtard.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Lestov16
It would seem people are unaware of how gravity works. Also LOL at requiring for an exact quantitative measurement of the force of The Sun. And I'm damn sure whatever shuttle NASA built can't withstand the Sun's impact like Hal did. I completely agree with Robtard.

Hal didn't impact the sun.

Robtard
I think it's now safe to say Thor's punch > the sun.

Should have known better than to get in a debate when one of the top three most wanked characters in the MVF is involved.

Silent Master
You realize that the sun's gravity is only 28 times that of Earth and that normal humans can withstand sustained gravity that is 9x that of Earth, right?

marwash22

Should have known better than to get in a debate when one of the top three most wanked characters in the MVF is involved. I don't see McClane, Hitgirl or anyone from a Potter or Star Wars movie in this thread. 131

Robtard
Hit-Girl and The Joker are the other two, but Joker hasn't been wanked in some time and it seemed Bane might be taking his place.

FrothByte

Should have known better than to get in a debate when one of the top three most wanked characters in the MVF is involved.

I'd say Wolverine and Hulk are actually more wanked than Thor.

Robtard
I'd say Wolverine and Hulk are actually more wanked than Thor.

Not on the MVF. Comic section, you're probably dead on.

FrothByte

Humans can punch with more force than the Earth's gravity. Gravity is a constant and it's not a concentrated amount of force. Not saying that Thor or Hulk's punch is stronger than the Sun's gravitational pull, but I believe it's silly to assume that it isn't either.

Silent Master

Robtard
While you're wiki'ing it, you should look up 'Escape Velocity". Then calculate how many gs Hal would have been under when escaping the Sun.

While you're at it, you might want to consider the power Hal has at his disposal considering he moved faster than the speed of light and how many gs a person would be subjected to while traveling greater than the speed of light if they're escaping the Sun.

Might also want to look into how much energy the sun dishes out per second and compare that to a nuclear explosion.

Silent Master
Well, Astronauts exp a max of between 3-5g escaping Earth's, so it should be around 84-140 for the Sun.

That's well below what David Purley and Kenny Brack survived.

BruceSkywalker
He always has a personal shield on when his powers are activated. It surrounds him. Allows him to survive hits, survive in space etc.

I'd watch the very end again.

then his shield sucks because Hal hit an asteroid and bled..

Robtard
Well, Astronauts exp a max of between 3-5g escaping Earth's, so it should be around 84-140 for the Sun.

That's well below what David Purley and Kenny Brack survived. I don't think the math is A-B.

But the light speed though? The sun's output per second?

Robtard
then his shield sucks because Hal hit an asteroid and bled..

I don't recall that scene, but was this newb not confident Hal or I've got control of my shit Hal at the end?

Silent Master
I don't think the math is A-B.

Even if we further multipled the numbers by a 100, that still would only grant him durability between 39 and 65x greater than a normal human.

Robtard
Well, seems like any old queer could chill out next to the sun.

But these:

But the light speed though? The sun's output per second?

Placidity
Green Lantern.

Mindset
Jeremy Renner shoots him in the face.

YFZ 350
Hal wins.

Mindset
Originally posted by YFZ 350
Hal wins. Fanboy.

Silent Master
Even if we grant Hal a high end shield, he has no feats for dealing the amount of damage it would take to beat Iron-man, Hulk or Thor.

Robtard
He has his imagination to come up with something, or as noted, he could just copy Kilowog and drop mini-suns.

Silent Master
IIRC, He didn't think of anything in the entire movie that dealt enough damage to take out Iron-man, Hulk or Thor.

Robtard
IMO, while no genius like Stark, he has enough mental capacity to copy someone else.

Silent Master
IMO, while no genius like Stark, he has enough mental capacity to copy someone else.

Seeing as he never copied that attack, I see reason to assume that 1) he could copy it and 2) That he would think of it.

Robtard
He was smart enough to deduce that the Sun would have a greater gravitational pull on Parralax than on himself due to mass. Seems he can think on the fly and adapt.

But we're back to 'Hal can only create exactly what he created', which is nonsense tactics, giving his power set. eg "Magneto never affected nickel, so he can't!" if we never specifically saw Magneto affect something composed of nickel.

Do you really want to turn the debate in that type of debate?

Placidity
Please don't engage in nonsense tactics.

Silent Master
He was smart enough to deduce that the Sun would have a greater gravitational pull on Parralax than on himself due to mass. Seems he can think on the fly and adapt.

But we're back to 'Hal can only create exactly what he created', which is nonsense tactics, giving his power set. eg "Magneto never affected nickel, so he can't!" if we never specifically saw Magneto affect something composed of nickel.

Do you really want to turn the debate in that type of debate?

He had a few fights after seeing Kilowog use that tactic and he never tried it, so I see no reason to assume that he'll magically think of it here.

Mindset
IMO, while no genius like Stark, he has enough mental capacity to copy someone else. But Kilowog is an instructor and experienced GL, Hal is a rookie. Who's to say he could copy him?

Silent Master
Originally posted by Mindset
But Kilowog is an instructor and experienced GL, Hal is a rookie. Who's to say he could copy him?

Especially since we saw him in a couple fights after the training and Hal never copied that tactic.

Robtard
He had a few fights after seeing Kilowog use that tactic and he never tried it, so I see no reason to assume that he'll magically think of it here.

There's nothing "magical" about copying someone's tactic that you personally saw used right in front of you.

Robtard
But Kilowog is an instructor and experienced GL, Hal is a rookie. Who's to say he could copy him?

But the end of the film, Hal was an experienced and decorated Green Lantern. The whole of the GL Corps acknowledged him as a savior.

FrothByte
But the end of the film, Hal was an experienced and decorated Green Lantern. The whole of the GL Corps acknowledged him as a savior.

I still think we need to see Hal put up a functional shield in the middle of a melee protecting him from multiple, random, powerful attacks before we can conclude that he can easily defend against the Avengers.

Defending against the Sun maybe a great show of strength, but it doesn't show a great amount of defensive fighting skill. The Sun's forces don't change direction or intensity unless you change your position relevant to it. That is very different from multiple attackers hitting you with various attacks at different angles using various methods.

Mindset
But the end of the film, Hal was an experienced and decorated Green Lantern. The whole of the GL Corps acknowledged him as a savior. The same way they did Hal in the comics, he was still a rookie. Them acknowledging him doesn't mean he was the most powerful lantern or that he could replicate any feat any other lantern could.

Placidity
Mindset, stop this foolishness now.

Supra
The Avengers win here..

heck Thor prolly solos.. Hal is weakasssauce here..

heck even Cap prolly solos too lolololol

Avengers FTW

Mindset
In all likeliness Hal gets oneshot by Jeremy Renner.

Supra
In all likeliness Hal gets oneshot by Jeremy Renner.

That would do it! Bam headshot

juggerman
Hal could move faster than light. How exactly could he be touched here? Also keep in mind that according to the OP he has CIS/PIS off and is bloodlusted. Him not uses the sun thing he was shown is CIS/PIS and possibly due to the fact he was not lusting for blood. Hal wins

Mindset
Him not uses the sun thing he was shown is CIS/PIS Based on what?

FrothByte
Hal could move faster than light. How exactly could he be touched here? Also keep in mind that according to the OP he has CIS/PIS off and is bloodlusted. Him not uses the sun thing he was shown is CIS/PIS and possibly due to the fact he was not lusting for blood. Hal wins

GL can TRAVEL faster than light but he can't MOVE faster than light. His combat speed as far as we've seen has been that of a normal human. It's the same way that IM can travel at mach speeds but you don't see him speed blitzing Thor. Or how Hulk can travel faster than a car but he doesn't have the reflexes of a cat.

Frankly, as powerful as Hal is he is still a noob fighter. Going up against a bunch of veteran fighters like the Avengers is not the same as going up against a single, all-devouring entity like Parallax.

Lestov16
Going up against a bunch of veteran fighters like the Avengers is not the same as going up against a single, all-devouring entity like Parallax.

laughing

FrothByte
laughing

Parallax tried to overwhelm Hal with pure power and intimidation. I do not recall him using any tactics or diversity in attacks. Parallax wasn't a fighter, he was, like I said, an all devouring entity. AND he was alone. NOne of the Avengers may have the power of Parallax, but they do fight smarter, and they are better fighters, and there are 6 of them.

Lestov16
Um, no. Parallax would utterly shit on the Avengers. The only reason they even won was because the NATO council essentially intervened as a deus ex machina and gave them a nuke. laughing if you think the Avengers pose more of a threat than Parallax. And laughing out loud if you think the Avengers can take Parallax, when all they needed was a single nuke to stop the Chitauri wheres it took the phucking sun to stop Parallax

FrothByte
Um, no. Parallax would utterly shit on the Avengers. The only reason they even won was because the NATO council essentially intervened as a deus ex machina and gave them a nuke. laughing if you think the Avengers pose more of a threat than Parallax. And laughing out loud if you think the Avengers can take Parallax, when all they needed was a single nuke to stop the Chitauri wheres it took the phucking sun to stop Parallax

Hal wasn't able to beat Parallax with his own power as well, so stop posing like Hal was powerful enough to beat Parallax. Hal used the sun to beat Parallax, so Hal was basically powerless to stop Parallax and thus he had to resort to tactics.

Can the Avengers stop Parallax? No. The Avengers would be just as helpless as Hal was. Can they outsmart Parallax? Maybe, maybe not. Point here is, Hal was not powerful enough to take on Parallax. He had to outsmart a being that didn't really display that much fight smarts. Now is he powerful enough to beat the Avengers? We're not sure, he hasn't really showed that much power in the movies. Can he outsmart the Avengers the same way he outsmarted Parallax? Definitely not, or at least not as easily. The Avengers has as much chance if not more so of outsmarting Hal.

Lestov16
So basically your argument is that Hal is too stupid to use his incredible vast power to easily WTFpwn the Avengers, which it is well within his capacity to do. Again, lol

FrothByte
So basically your argument is that Hal is too stupid to use his incredible vast power to easily WTFpwn the Avengers, which it is well within his capacity to do. Again, lol

No, my point is that you don't really have any basis on claiming that Hal is powerful enough to WTFpwn the Avengers. He got beat up by Parallax and had to use the Sun to beat Parallax.

Another point I'm making, is that outsmarting the Avengers won't be as easy as outsmarting Parallax.

Now, tell me I'm wrong.

Lestov16
No, my point is that you don't really have any basis on claiming that Hal is powerful enough to WTFpwn the Avengers. He got beat up by Parallax and had to use the Sun to beat Parallax.

Another point I'm making, is that outsmarting the Avengers won't be as easy as outsmarting Parallax.

Now, tell me I'm wrong.

You are incredibly wrong. The mere fact that Hal was able to withstand the atmospheric pressure of the sun instantly elevates him far above any power level the Avengers can output.

juggernaut74
Pretty much.

Silent Master
Being able to withstand around 28x Earth's gravity places Hal abve the Avengers damage output?

FrothByte
You are incredibly wrong. The mere fact that Hal was able to withstand the atmospheric pressure of the sun instantly elevates him far above any power level the Avengers can output.

And yet on his way to the sun he hits a small asteroid and hurts his shoulder. Seems to me his shields are not all you claim to be.

Robtard
It was around a 2-3 minutes scene from the time he left earth and reached the Sun, this was with a quick stop just outside asteroid belt too. It takes light about 8 minutes to reach Earth.

So considering his speed when he hit that asteroid, it's more a tribute to his power and durability that he wasn't turned to a fine red mist and not so much "Hal's weak sauce, Hal got hurt a by a rock and so what if he withstood the Sun."

There's also really only three Avengers GL has to worry about.

FrothByte
It was around a 2-3 minutes scene from the time he left earth and reached the Sun, this was with a quick stop just outside asteroid belt too. It takes light about 8 minutes to reach Earth.

So considering his speed when he hit that asteroid, it's more a tribute to his power and durability that he wasn't turned to a fine red mist and not so much "Hal's weak sauce, Hal got hurt a by a rock and so what if he withstood the Sun."

There's also really only three Avengers GL has to worry about.

And yet he doesn't look to be travelling at anywhere near that kind of speed. If he was, then we shouldn't have been able to see him. Besides, if Hal truly was travelling that fast and he was as durable as you say he is, he should have obliterated that asteroid upon contact. But all he did was break off pieces of is, and although a pretty good durability feat, still shows how he can be hurt by concussive forces (which Hulk and Thor will happily supply).

But even if I accepted your theory of him hitting that asteroid at above light speed, just a few mins earlier on he got slammed against a truck and then against a car... and was hurt. Again, good durability showing, but that amount of force is something that Hulk or Thor can easily replicate. Seems to me Hal's shields don't handle concussive force as well as they do the sun's heat and gravitation.

Besides, all we've talked about so far was his shielding capabilities. What offensive powers has Hal shown that will allow him to take on the Avengers? Will he make a mini-gun and try to blast the Avengers? Maybe use a giant spring to launch a truck on them?

Robtard
And yet he doesn't look to be travelling at anywhere near that kind of speed. If he was, then we shouldn't have been able to see him. Besides, if Hal truly was travelling that fast and he was as durable as you say he is, he should have obliterated that asteroid upon contact. But all he did was break off pieces of is, and although a pretty good durability feat, still shows how he can be hurt by concussive forces (which Hulk and Thor will happily supply).

But even if I accepted your theory of him hitting that asteroid at above light speed, just a few mins earlier on he got slammed against a truck and then against a car... and was hurt. Again, good durability showing, but that amount of force is something that Hulk or Thor can easily replicate. Seems to me Hal's shields don't handle concussive force as well as they do the sun's heat and gravitation.

Besides, all we've talked about so far was his shielding capabilities. What offensive powers has Hal shown that will allow him to take on the Avengers? Will he make a mini-gun and try to blast the Avengers? Maybe use a giant spring to launch a truck on them?

We often see star ships in films that are traveling at greater than light, does that mean they're not in the fantasy because we see them? I don't think he hit the asteroid at c+ speeds, but obviously fast, as those asteroids aren't moving around slowly themselves.

A smaller asteroid hit him on the shoulder, which caused a minor wound and then he barreled into and smashed apart a huge asteroid, which did little to no damage apparently.

His offense is his imagination. LoL, how you downplay his power-set. While he might try a machine gun to start, he's "blood lusted" here. So he probably starts out with a bigger attack. Like creating a bunch of big ass missiles or a mini-sun, if he wanted.

FrothByte
I don't think he hit the asteroid at c+ speeds, but obviously fast, as those asteroids aren't moving around slowly themselves.

A smaller one hit him on the shoulder, which caused a minor wound and then he barreled into and smashed apart another, which did little to no damage.

His offense is his imagination. LoL, how you downplay his power-set. While he might try a machine gun to start, he's "blood lusted" here. So he probably starts out with a bigger attack. Like a mini-sun, if he wanted.

Well you're the one who tried to use physics in a movie. Where light needs 8 mins to travel to the sun and all, yet when I use physics to say "light speed can be hardly seen by the eye" you don't consider it? Many movies have shortened distances for the sake of time constraint.

but let's forget about that.

Again I ask, what offensive powers has Hal actually SHOWN?? You can theorize about mini-suns and all that, but fact is, all you people are the ones always emphasizing how screen feats > assumptions. Therefore, Hal having no screen feats of him making a mini-sun = Hal not knowing how to create mini suns.

Bloodlusted doesn't mean squat. You telling me that as he fought Parallax he was pulling his punches? If he was desperate enough while fighting Parallax that he had to resort to using the sun against him instead of just his powers, his performance "bloodlusted" shouldn't all be that different. Which means he'll probably resort to using mini guns, springs, catapults, and racing cars against the Avengers.

Again, all I'm doing here is using screen feats. And how do you explain Hal getting hurt after slamming against truck and car?

Robtard
His power-set is his imagination.

Well, it does. Cos while fighting Parralax, he was concious of trying to not kill everyone around him. In this fight, he'd not give a shit about dropping a mini-sun.

You're railroading him. "He can only create a sword, a mini-gun, a catapult" etc. Might as well argue that Bruce Almighty can't make a chicken come out of someone's anus, cos we only saw a monkey.

FrothByte
His power-set is his imagination.

Well, it does. Cos while fighting Parralax, he was concious of trying to not kill everyone around him. In this fight, he'd not give a shit about dropping a mini-sun.

You're railroading him. "He can only create a sword, a mini-gun, a catapult" etc. Might as well argue that Bruce Almighty can't make a chicken come out of someone's anus, cos we only saw a monkey.

And yet the limit of his imagination is a mini-gun and a spring. Seems to me if you were faced with a life and death situation you'd try to use your most powerful attacks... and yet those were the most he could come up with. Sure he was concerned about the civilians. Why not launch a nuke at Parallax and then make a shield to contain the explosion then?

No, you're trying to bump him up to something more powerful than he is. You're showing him off at his most extreme potential when it's quite obvious he isn't there yet. In a real fight, it's mostly your instincts that take over. You neither have the time nor the concentration to really imagine stuff. He'll have a very hard time trying to be imaginative when 6 guys are trying to take him down. Heck, he wasn't even that imaginative when he was faced with a single, slow moving opponent. He might have the potential to create anything from his imagination, but until such time as he's proven to do this in a fight environment, we are limited by using only the feats he's shown. It's just like performing a well formed kata during practice is completely different from doing it in a real fight.

And while we're at it, has Hal ever shown the ability to create multiple constructs at the same time? He'll probably need to do that to take on multiple opponents.

Lestov16
No. What you are doing is trying to make Hal as intelligent as a stalagmite. You are trying to massively downplay his fight with parallax when parallax was a far greater threat than the avengers ever faced

Scarlet Fox
The Avengers, Ironman, Thor, Hulk, Hawkeye, Blackwidow. Against Green Lantern.

The Avengers, with two exceptions, have seperate movies with the characters to explain experience and feats while Green Lantern has one. He barley beat Parallax, and I am not saying the Avengers could do it, even at all, because Hal had the Green Ring which was essential in his victory. With his Experience, in the movie, I dout Hal would be able to beat the alien horde in Avengers. Hal might be able to travel at the speed of light but as it is shown he isnt going around beating on people at that speed. Now Hal is NOT stupid but he isnt a very smart either. His experience with the ring is limited to that one week he has had it sicne the Thread is about the movie.

With the little experience Hal has with the ring I would have to say the more experienced Avengers win. BUT none of them Solo. They would have to work together.

Thors lightning would get him out of the sky for sure if he decided to fly about. NOT saying Thors lightning would do a lot of damage with Hals shields but it would definatly be enough power to ground him.

My opinion on this fight.

FrothByte
No. What you are doing is trying to make Hal as intelligent as a stalagmite. You are trying to massively downplay his fight with parallax when parallax was a far greater threat than the avengers ever faced

I am not downplaying anything. I am merely describing Hal as he was seen in the film. You are the one trying to give him feats that he wasn't shown to be doing.

As for his fight with Parallax, there's nothing to downplay there. Hal tried to use his powers to beat Parallax and he failed. He then outsmarted Parallax and used the sun's powers to beat Parallax. Again I repeat, Hal was NOT powerful enough to beat Parallax.

As for his imagination, you can probably practice all the combat moves you plan to use in a fight, practice them to perfection in front of a mirror, and yet the moment you get into a fight all this goes out the window and you rely on instincts. The better trained you are, the easier it will be for you to incorporate whatever you trained into actual fighting. Hal was trained for what, a week? So you see when he fights Parallax, he used his ring to create stuff he was more familiar with. He wasn't too creative with it. Fighting 6 Avengers would give him even less time to be creative with the ring.

Plus I don't recall him building multiple constructs with his ring. Something he might need to do when fighting multiple opponents. As for durability, he IS pretty durable. Yet he did get hurt as he was slammed against the truck and car. That proves that the Avengers are powerful enough to hurt him even if they have a hard time of it.

Now on the other hand, has Hal ever shown that he was powerful enough to seriously hurt someone like Thor or Hulk?

Scarlet Fox
Lol I left out Cap in my listing. xD

Robtard
And yet the limit of his imagination is a mini-gun and a spring. Seems to me if you were faced with a life and death situation you'd try to use your most powerful attacks... and yet those were the most he could come up with. Sure he was concerned about the civilians. Why not launch a nuke at Parallax and then make a shield to contain the explosion then?

No, you're trying to bump him up to something more powerful than he is. You're showing him off at his most extreme potential when it's quite obvious he isn't there yet. In a real fight, it's mostly your instincts that take over. You neither have the time nor the concentration to really imagine stuff. He'll have a very hard time trying to be imaginative when 6 guys are trying to take him down. Heck, he wasn't even that imaginative when he was faced with a single, slow moving opponent. He might have the potential to create anything from his imagination, but until such time as he's proven to do this in a fight environment, we are limited by using only the feats he's shown. It's just like performing a well formed kata during practice is completely different from doing it in a real fight.

And while we're at it, has Hal ever shown the ability to create multiple constructs at the same time? He'll probably need to do that to take on multiple opponents.

I doubt a nuke would have taken out Parallax and setting off a nuke in a populated city would have been very risky.

Three of the team members, he can all but ignore. Again, how hard is it to copy someone else. That's the lack of imagination.

Yes, he has in fact shown the capability to create one than one construct at a time.

FrothByte
I doubt a nuke would have taken out Parallax and setting off a nuke in a populated city would have been very risky.

Three of the team members, he can all but ignore. Again, how hard is it to copy someone else. That's the lack of imagination.

Yes, he has in fact shown the capability to create one than one construct at a time.

I also doubt that the nuke would have taken out Parallax, but Hal could have at least tried something bigger than what he did. The fact that all he did were kinda puny attacks seems to suggest that he's unable to imagine anything stronger while in the middle of a battle. And this is not a lack of imagination on his part, merely a lack of concentration necessary when confronted with a stressful environment. I mean, how easy do you think it is to maintain a vivid image of something in your mind while someone is busy trying to blast or pound you. Just because Hal can imagine something when he's alone doesn't mean he can do it in the middle of a fight. His power is not only affected by his imagination. It is also affected by his concentration and will power, as stressed during his training. So even if his imagination is "unlimited", his concentration and will power definitely isn't.

You are trying to argue for Hal at his FULL potential, which he doesn't seem to show via screen feats. I mean, what's the most impressive construct he's been able to build so far from his "unlimited" imagination? In terms of impressive weaponry that is.

Robtard
I also doubt that the nuke would have taken out Parallax, but Hal could have at least tried something bigger than what he did. The fact that all he did were kinda puny attacks seems to suggest that he's unable to imagine anything stronger while in the middle of a battle. And this is not a lack of imagination on his part, merely a lack of concentration necessary when confronted with a stressful environment. I mean, how easy do you think it is to maintain a vivid image of something in your mind while someone is busy trying to blast or pound you. Just because Hal can imagine something when he's alone doesn't mean he can do it in the middle of a fight. His power is not only affected by his imagination. It is also affected by his concentration and will power, as stressed during his training. So even if his imagination is "unlimited", his concentration and will power definitely isn't.

You are trying to argue for Hal at his FULL potential, which he doesn't seem to show via screen feats. I mean, what's the most impressive construct he's been able to build so far from his "unlimited" imagination? In terms of impressive weaponry that is.

He had the imagination to create two jet planes and enough concentration to keep them going while the sun was tearing at him and Parralax was trying to destroy him.

So no, I don't think Hal will buckle under pressure from three other super heroes who will pose less of a threat then being next to the sun and having an all devouring giant monster on you.

By the end of the film, Hal was at his full potential.

FrothByte
He had the imagination to create two jet planes and enough concentration to keep them going while the sun was tearing at him and Parralax was trying to destroy him.

So no, I don't think Hal will buckle under pressure from three other super heroes who will pose less of a threat then being next to the sun and having an all devouring giant monster on you.

By the end of the film, Hal was at his full potential.

2 rockets/jet planes that has no offensive output whatsoever. He's good at making complicated moving stuff, even made a car and racetrack. But what has he done in terms of offensive weaponry? His constructs seem to be limited by what he knows: like cars, planes, mini guns, catapults, etc. Stuff that he's familiar with. What's he going to make to disable IM, Thor, or Hulk?

As for how hard it is to copy someone... well, it's actually pretty hard if you're not familiar with what you're copying. Try it, try copying the movements of someone else when you're not familiar with what they're doing. Try imitating a boxer's stance and a simple jab straight then look at yourself in the mirror. You'll see that you're not doing it quite as effectively as the boxer. You say he can easily copy Kilowog's mini sun, but he's not familiar with something like that. He probably doesn't know how to construct one with proper dimensions, gravity pull, etc.

Lestov16
Explain how the Avengers will harm him when the atmospheric pressure of the sun didn't. And LOL at "he was hurt by a meteor", like it somehow makes him a wimp

Also, I love how you act as if the Avengers can out-strategize God, when the only reason they beat the Chitauri is because the NATO Council deus ex machina'ed with the nuke. Hell, if Fury actually succeeded in shooting the fighter down, Manhattan (and the Avengers) would have been FUBARed

FrothByte
Explain how the Avengers will harm him when the atmospheric pressure of the sun didn't. And LOL at "he was hurt by a meteor", like it somehow makes him a wimp

Also, I love how you act as if the Avengers can out-strategize God, when the only reason they beat the Chitauri is because the NATO Council deus ex machina'ed with the nuke. Hell, if Fury actually succeeded in shooting the fighter down, Manhattan (and the Avengers) would have been FUBARed

Hal was hurt by getting slammed against a truck. And though that's a very good durability feat, it does mean that someone as strong as Hulk and Thor can hurt him.

And I'm not saying that the Avengers are the best strategical tacticians in the world, but you have to admit that the combination of Cap and IM's intellect provides a far better tactical mind than either Hal or Parallax for that matter. Unless you're going to claim that Hal is smarter than Tony or that he's a better tactician than Rogers.

Besides, other than that "pulling down a mini sun" crap, what other options does Hal have of beating up the Avengers? What offensive powers has he shown that look like they'll work against IM, Hulk, or Thor?

Robtard
Hulk he catapults into space by creating a super gigantic catapult around the Hulk and firing it. That's one Avenger down.

Mindset
Renner spelled backwards is Renner.

Dolos
Hulk he catapults into space by creating a super gigantic catapult around the Hulk and firing it. That's one Avenger down.

If I were the Green Lantern I would create a minature Black Hole out in space, requiring a light construct with the mass of the earth into a teaspoon volume, which shouldn't be out of the ring's capacity, because the ring is only limited by the scoop of the wielder's imagination/will, then catapult the Hulk into the black hole, effectively trapping him. Same with Thor. You they will fall back to earth before running out of oxygen, they're ****ed if they are stuck in a black hole the size of earth with a fraction of the volume. When the Black Hole crushes them, I erase the construct before it gets too close to earth and destroys the planet.

As for the mortals, I create a massive robot, about a thousand feet tall, and inside it's eye I will observe the battle, as it will be my dormatory, I can observe wth a giant tb screen inside the eyelid. The robot construct is made of billions of solid light constructs, and quite invulnerable to even atomic weapons.

I could drown crush Ironman with a one billion ton construct tossed from my robot, and as for Captain America, as well as Black Widow and Hawkeye, I trap them inside a fortified tank construct and toss them into space in my giant robot.

I could have delt with Paralax pretty easily as well. Just contain him in a HUGE fortified prison complex facility, and used a multi-mile tall robot to toss that into the sun. It would protect him until I removed the construct, leaving him to burn in the fires of the sun.

Robtard
dp

Robtard
Giant Green Can-Opener > Iron Man

Dolos
Giant Green Can-Opener > Iron Man

Quite right, I could hold him in a gundam construct's hand, and use a giant shredder to rip apart his suit, like I'm opening a soup can.

Placidity
Renner spelled backwards is Renner.

No, don't they teach kids how to spell anymore?

http://i48.tinypic.com/vq1qnm.jpg

Silent Master
Originally posted by Dolos
If I were the Green Lantern I would create a minature Black Hole out in space, requiring a light construct with the mass of the earth into a teaspoon volume, which shouldn't be out of the ring's capacity, because the ring is only limited by the scoop of the wielder's imagination/will, then catapult the Hulk into the black hole, effectively trapping him. Same with Thor. You they will fall back to earth before running out of oxygen, they're ****ed if they are stuck in a black hole the size of earth with a fraction of the volume. When the Black Hole crushes them, I erase the construct before it gets too close to earth and destroys the planet.

As for the mortals, I create a massive robot, about a thousand feet tall, and inside it's eye I will observe the battle, as it will be my dormatory, I can observe wth a giant tb screen inside the eyelid. The robot construct is made of billions of solid light constructs, and quite invulnerable to even atomic weapons.

I could drown crush Ironman with a one billion ton construct tossed from my robot, and as for Captain America, as well as Black Widow and Hawkeye, I trap them inside a fortified tank construct and toss them into space in my giant robot.

I could have delt with Paralax pretty easily as well. Just contain him in a HUGE fortified prison complex facility, and used a multi-mile tall robot to toss that into the sun. It would protect him until I removed the construct, leaving him to burn in the fires of the sun.

Too bad Hal never even came close to performing any feats on this level.

Lestov16
Too bad none of the Avengers ever came close to replicating the atmospheric pressure of the Sun

Silent Master
Too bad none of the Avengers ever came close to replicating the atmospheric pressure of the Sun

What level of pressure did Hal take?

FrothByte

Yet he still got hurt by getting slammed into a truck. Which some of the Avengers can very much replicate and outdo.

Robtard
Yet he still got hurt by getting slammed into a truck. Which some of the Avengers can very much replicate and outdo.

Not sure if getting up a moment after being hit with a blast that sends you flying a few hundred feet through the air and then through the sheet metal side of a delivery truck that rolls a few times and then you're throw out to go smashing into an SUV hard enough you crush in the side counts as "hurt".

Sure, it probably didn't feel good, but he was none the worse for it.

FrothByte
Not sure if getting up a moment after being hit with a blast that sends you flying a few hundred feet through the air and then through the sheet metal side of a delivery truck that rolls a few times and then you're throw out to go smashing into an SUV hard enough you crush in the side counts as "hurt".

Sure, it probably didn't feel good, but he was none the worse for it.

You can see it on his face, he was hurt. I agree though that he wasn't injured. So hurt but not injured. The point I'm trying to make with this example is that the shield that protects him against the sun's forces doesn't seem to protect him as much against concussive forces. Granted, it was a good durability feat. But Hulk and Thor can both dish out hits that are more powerful than his momentum hitting the truck. Will it knock him out? Probably not. But getting knocked flying in the air should have enough oomph in it to disable his concentration.

Robtard
You think he's going to face the Avengers on the ground when he's outnumbered, their heaviest hitter can't fly and he's arguably a faster flyer than Thor and IM?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.