Who agrees's with this girl?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Supra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaL6guA82p4

Skip to the review. She does not understand anything about what they are trying to do with this movie.

Dumb

-Pr-
What about it didn't you like?

Supra
Her BS about Henry Cavil not being able to play Clark Kent or Superman and that Kevin Coster could have played Superman when he was younger.

Also stating the movie is to dark and its not what a superman movie should be like!!
Shes so stupid

-Pr-
She has valid points, imo.

Supra
I think the movie is going to prove everyone wrong. This isn't a normal superman movie.

You think Kevin Costner could have played Superman when he was younger?

Supra
Its Hans Zimmer music not Enya too, she is so dumb.

Dolos
I would date her.

Mindship
Originally posted by Supra
She does not understand anything about what they are trying to do with this movie. She seems to be more of a traditionalist when it comes to the mythos.

A younger Costner playing Superman? Maybe.

Cavill being wrong for Superman? He's a bit young (I always think of Superman as early to mid 30s), but I like his visual image way better than Roth's, and so far even better than Reeve's (keeping in mind the different "tones" of each film).

Ultimately, it's the writing and characters which will make/break this. If it works, Movie Superman will come across less "comic booky."

Rendering primary-color, over-the-top characters in live action is tricky. At worst, the result is silly; at best, it's awe-inspiring

Dolos
"Awe inspiring" and every other argument to be made is such a cliche.

She's absolutely right, the original Superman, and even Returns at least was colorful, imgainative, and mystifying. I just don't know about this.

And there is nothing I can see more eye to eye with her about than that ****ing annoying ass score they put together.

The movie has Superman no where in the title, which is gay. Just like the previous TWO Batman films.

Other than Begins, every single Nolan film has given me a ****ing migrane, whereas Zack Snyder's Watchmen was kinda neat with Manhattan, yet other than Watchman 300 gave me an IQ killing migrane as well.

But Manhattan was such a flipping awesome character, and Ethereal quantum mechanic who could make the fantastic and impossible possible. I was also in a Chemistry course at the time Watchmen came out, and that's another reason Watchmen's Doctor Manhattan was so ****ing awesome to me.

However, Watchmen was not Zack Snyder's invention, it was Moore's, and so far we have two Directors that give me migranes. So I sympathise with her arguments actually.

Mindship
Originally posted by Dolos
The movie has Superman no where in the title, which is gay... To call something 'gay' when you don't like it is worse than cliche: it's an insult to the demographic.

Manhattan was such a flipping awesome character... Agreed. I especially liked the live-action, movie rendering, as opposed to his typical, comic-book depiction.

Dolos
Originally posted by Mindship
To call something 'gay' when you don't like it is worse than cliche: it's an insult to the demographic.

I honestly did not mean to sound like that. I ****ing hate that other's use of langauge rubs off on me so.

But it happens.

Supra
What was mystifying about Superman Returns?

Placidity
Didn't like her face. Got to agree with Supra.

Supra
Originally posted by Placidity
Didn't like her face. Got to agree with Supra.

Thank you!

Supra
"Awe inspiring" and every other argument to be made is such a cliche.

She's absolutely right, the original Superman, and even Returns at least was colorful, imgainative, and mystifying. I just don't know about this.

And there is nothing I can see more eye to eye with her about than that ****ing annoying ass score they put together.

The movie has Superman no where in the title, which is gay. Just like the previous TWO Batman films.

Other than Begins, every single Nolan film has given me a ****ing migrane, whereas Zack Snyder's Watchmen was kinda neat with Manhattan, yet other than Watchman 300 gave me an IQ killing migrane as well.

But Manhattan was such a flipping awesome character, and Ethereal quantum mechanic who could make the fantastic and impossible possible. I was also in a Chemistry course at the time Watchmen came out, and that's another reason Watchmen's Doctor Manhattan was so ****ing awesome to me.

However, Watchmen was not Zack Snyder's invention, it was Moore's, and so far we have two Directors that give me migranes. So I sympathise with her arguments actually.

Bro you way off base.. The only good point you made was about Manhattan being awesome.

Supra
The point of this movie is to different, not the same flat out old boring superman stuff.

This shows a young boy and young man not sure about who he is or where he comes from.."I have so many questions..Where do I come from."

Clark is being shown as a boy trying to save people, even as a young man he still does not know who or what he is but he has that inante purpose to help people and wants to know about his past.

Is this a darker Superman, maybe only in the colors of the movie, but you have to look past the colors of the movie and see the will behind it.

It shows a vulnerable, perhaps afraid and unsure man, even with all his power. He allows himself to be subject to the law, taken into custody by the military.

A great force comes again the earth and he is the only force on the planet capable of defending earth.

In the begining he is underwater, looks like his ship he was working on was blown up or damaged. Or perhaps he is just resting underwater. I dont really know. But then he opens his eyes as the back narrative of his mother tells his mother to "make it small" because the world is to big.

Then it takes us straight to him rescuing a bus that was underwater, but he has a scared/unsure look on his face as to what he is doing and possibly what his father might say. He is afraid to be found out.

Then it skips to his father telling him he has to keep that side of himself a secret for the very reason of him not being found out who he really is or what he is capable of.

These are all the reasons why this is a Superman movie and its back to the roots of who Clark kent really is.

Astner
Also stating the movie is to dark and its not what a superman movie should be like!!
She's right about that. In the comics the Superman stories aren't dark, they're not like Batman's. And the bright color scheme and design of his suit makes it difficult to incorporate deep emotional realism needed to make the most off of a dark setting.

Bentley
Don't know anything about the video or this topic, but Astner is spot on.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Astner
She's right about that. In the comics the Superman stories aren't dark, they're not like Batman's. And the bright color scheme and design of his suit makes it difficult to incorporate deep emotional realism needed to make the most off of a dark setting.

Superman can (and has) had deep emotional realism without having a dark setting.

super pr*xy
she does have valid points.. but it think it's just the newness of the movie.. the different take on superman kinda scares a lot of the older fans.. it's a change, and people are afraid of changes.. but i say give the man of steel an unbiased shot.. MOS should not be compared to anything before it's shown in the theaters.. either ways, i'm watching this..

Supra

You quoted me out of context without reading what I wrote.
I said "It shows a vulnerable, perhaps afraid and unsure man, even with all his power. He allows himself to be subject to the law, taken into custody by the military. "

I mean the colors of the movie have nothing to do with the Deep emotions that Clark/Kal-El is obviously feeling in the movie.

Seeming lost in the movie, down, not sure what to do, asking both of his fathers questions for guidance.

Dolos
Zack Snyder understands the importance of Superman's messianic rule in Comic Dom. He understands the burden of making The Man of Steel, the one he creates, a bigger and better hero than all the rest in cinema right now.

I don't know if he can. I hope so.

Supra
Zack Snyder understands the importance of Superman's messianic rule in Comic Dom. He understands the burden of making The Man of Steel, the one he creates, a bigger and better hero than all the rest in cinema right now.

I don't know if he can. I hope so.

I am liking what I am reading and seeing so far for interviews with Shannon, Nolan, Crow and such.

I think the movie is in good hands with the two of them. I can't think of two people better suited to make this movie then them.

Dolos
Call me an outcast but I've said it before and I'll say it again, Nolan's style gives me a migrane. At least Snyder's Hubris Man Style gives me a Suped-up Larger Than Life Feeling.

This is a Snyder Style Film, and Thank God for That. I don't believe Nolan deserves any mention other than providing a larger budget for Snyder to express His style with.

Supra
Call me an outcast but I've said it before and I'll say it again, Nolan's style gives me a migrane. At least Snyder's Hubris Man Style gives me a Suped-up Larger Than Life Feeling.

This is a Snyder Style Film, and Thank God for That. I don't believe Nolan deserves any mention other than providing a larger budget for Snyder to express His style with.

Agreed, im glad Nolan footed the bill and gave the direction to Zach.

Dolos
Honestly, Zack Snyder could bring something pretty awesome that we haven't seen before. His characters have been a combination of Manly and Intelligent, between Leonidas' courage and Ozymandias' cool and calculating manipulations. I think Zack Snyder could create one heck of a Man of Steel. However, I just don't fricken trust the writer, from Nolan's crew, I forget his name but he wrote the screenplay for both Inception and the TDK series. So the Man of Steel might be lacking that BAWZ Factor.

That my friends, is why I'm not giving this film any more than my hope. Because Nolan had to sink his fangs into it.

It all depends how much leeway he gives Snyder for the screenplay, if Goyer has too much influence Superman won't have any uberhuman Leonidas or super-genius Ozymandias elements to him, he'll just be Batman, an averagely intelligent and powerful Superman, not too empowering story-wise.

Dolos
David S Goyer's screenplay was very very very irritating in TDK and TDKR. It was something about the way the characters carried out their banter, what they said, how they interacted...it was just so bland, so yawn.

He's going to run this screenplay?

Oh well.

The one thing I couldn't agree more on with this girl is the fact that Cavill is just wayy too ****ing introverted. His voice is so dark, and Superman is supposed to be Extroverted, he's supposed to be outspoken and his voice is supposed to sound passionate.

That's why Christopher Reeves' depiction lit of the silver screen in the 70s and 80s, he was such a boy scout. Take a look at this scene, "You diseased maniac, I'll mold this box into your prison bars."

OkSaAhbceBk

Cavill by comparison just doesn't have the emotional range geared toward that Superman. From hitting on Louis the way he does, to getting pissed the way he does.

4Bb78jAYhcc

TjgsnWtBQm0

There will never be another Christopher Reeves, I think imitating him like Returns is preferable to rebooting him.

Too much fricken rebooting, every minute it seems like.

Rao Kal El
Tbh I rather watch a dark version more adult oriented superman than the old silly movies of the past.

They had their place on that time culture, but if they will try the same approach, they will kill the movie again like they did in returns.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Rao Kal El
Tbh I rather watch a dark version more adult oriented superman than the old silly movies of the past.

They had their place on that time culture, but if they will try the same approach, they will kill the movie again like they did in returns. thumb up

Leave the Donner films legacy alone.

I cannot even understand how someone dare say something like imitating Reeves Superman after Superman Returns.

Superman was the one franchise/character that desperately needed a reboot.

Rao Kal El
Originally posted by Zack Fair
thumb up

Leave the Donner films legacy alone.

I cannot even understand how someone dare say something like imitating Reeves Superman after Superman Returns.

Superman was the one franchise/character that desperately needed a reboot.

Amen to that

Supra
David S Goyer's screenplay was very very very irritating in TDK and TDKR. It was something about the way the characters carried out their banter, what they said, how they interacted...it was just so bland, so yawn.

He's going to run this screenplay?

Oh well.

The one thing I couldn't agree more on with this girl is the fact that Cavill is just wayy too ****ing introverted. His voice is so dark, and Superman is supposed to be Extroverted, he's supposed to be outspoken and his voice is supposed to sound passionate.

That's why Christopher Reeves' depiction lit of the silver screen in the 70s and 80s, he was such a boy scout. Take a look at this scene, "You diseased maniac, I'll mold this box into your prison bars."

OkSaAhbceBk

Cavill by comparison just doesn't have the emotional range geared toward that Superman. From hitting on Louis the way he does, to getting pissed the way he does.

4Bb78jAYhcc

TjgsnWtBQm0

There will never be another Christopher Reeves, I think imitating him like Returns is preferable to rebooting him.

Too much fricken rebooting, every minute it seems like.

So you think they should just leave Superman alone and never make another movie?

Supra

They had their place on that time culture, but if they will try the same approach, they will kill the movie again like they did in returns.

Absolutely, its time for a new Superman, there is only so many times you can watch the old superman movies. I mean they are good but its not like watching the original Star Wars. I can watch those any time any day of the week. The first Superman movies..eh not so much.

Astner
Originally posted by -Pr-
Superman can (and has) had deep emotional realism without having a dark setting.
I honestly don't think that wanting to fit in is a realistic response to being a god.

And if it's not that then it's about not being strong enough, which is rather off-putting considering the circumstances. It's like watching a teen crying during her sweet sixteen because she got a 100,000 dollar car rather than the 150,000 dollar car she wanted.

Mindship

They had their place on that time culture, but if they will try the same approach, they will kill the movie again like they did in returns. Chris Reeve did a great job, and I especially loved Superman 2. But yeah, I want a Superman movie with the same sense of realism as, say, the Bale Batman films. This doesn't necessarily mean 'dark', just less 'comic booky'. For a young man to realize he is godlike, and what that means in terms of his responsibilities and place in the world: this can be chock full of heaviosity, especially since (I think it's safe to say) most Superman fans have imagined, at least once, what they would do with all that power.

Astner
But yeah, I want a Superman movie with the same sense of realism as, say, the Bale Batman films.
The problem with that is that Superman is the least believable superhero in the comic industry whereas Batman is among the most believable.

Wonder Woman might be a demigoddess made from clay, but at least that is loosely rooted in mythology and can easily be sorted out from a Sci-Fi perspective.

Superman on the other hand is supposed to be scientific. Yet the vast majority of his superpowers are extremely difficult to even hand-wave. And then we have powers like his X-ray Vision that has nothing to do with X-rays. And don't get me started on the supposed differences in red- and yellow sunlight, and Kryptonite.

The point is that Superman is best written when he's kicking ass and doing the unbelievable, not when he makes people think.

Mindship
The point is that Superman is best written when he's kicking ass and doing the unbelievable, not when he makes people think. I say both can be done.

-Pr-
The problem with that is that Superman is the least believable superhero in the comic industry whereas Batman is among the most believable.

Wonder Woman might be a demigoddess made from clay, but at least that is loosely rooted in mythology and can easily be sorted out from a Sci-Fi perspective.

Superman on the other hand is supposed to be scientific. Yet the vast majority of his superpowers are extremely difficult to even hand-wave. And then we have powers like his X-ray Vision that has nothing to do with X-rays. And don't get me started on the supposed differences in red- and yellow sunlight, and Kryptonite.

The point is that Superman is best written when he's kicking ass and doing the unbelievable, not when he makes people think.

Superman used to be scientific. He hasn't been that way since the 80s though, tbh.

I honestly don't think that wanting to fit in is a realistic response to being a god.

And if it's not that then it's about not being strong enough, which is rather off-putting considering the circumstances. It's like watching a teen crying during her sweet sixteen because she got a 100,000 dollar car rather than the 150,000 dollar car she wanted.

Superman doesn't consider himself a god, though, which is the point. His mentality is that of a farmboy who grew up living off the land that just wants to help people. Everyone else might see him as a god, but he refuses to do the same.

Superman has real problems just like a lot of people. There's no petulance involved.

==

And no, a "Nolanised" Superman would be shit, imo.

Supra
Chris Reeve did a great job, and I especially loved Superman 2. But yeah, I want a Superman movie with the same sense of realism as, say, the Bale Batman films. This doesn't necessarily mean 'dark', just less 'comic booky'. For a young man to realize he is godlike, and what that means in terms of his responsibilities and place in the world: this can be chock full of heaviosity, especially since (I think it's safe to say) most Superman fans have imagined, at least once, what they would do with all that power.

The Batman movies are just as unreal as a superman movie. Never in a million years will we have a billionaire playboy running around the city with high tech weapons. They try to make you believe hey its possible when its really not.

SquallX
Superman used to be scientific. He hasn't been that way since the 80s though, tbh.

Superman doesn't consider himself a god, though, which is the point. His mentality is that of a farmboy who grew up living off the land that just wants to help people. Everyone else might see him as a god, but he refuses to do the same.

Superman has real problems just like a lot of people. There's no petulance involved.

==

Nice wording.

Dolos

==

This this this this and this.

Even in the trailer we see him sacrificing his secret, putting his place as an accepted normal human being at risk by saving a bus full of children. We see him working a labor job as lethal as lumberjacking and trucking through ice. Deadliest catch esque. We see him letting the military cuff him even though he could snap the cuffs and fly away and dodge or tank anything they throw at him. He could kill so many thousands of men. He doesn't even break the cuffs to surrender by choice but unchained, he just leaves them on - that to me shows a conflicted conscious. "Would it be inhuman, would it be not right to break the cuffs because I can even if I mean them no harm?"

Finally, unlike Batman, who pretends to be superior through "theatricality and deception"; Superman actually is superior. He does the polar opposite of Bruce, and hides it as Kent.

His main problem is that he wants to fit in, but at the same time he is superior in every physiological, perceptual, and cognitive aspect by thousands of years. Yet he sees the potential threat to 'his kind', and holding in his ability to save them greatly affects him.

This has been shown in the trailers, and it was a fact of the original film.

-----
http://anygif.org/galleries/Movies_and_TV/201303139444642_Pwned.gif

Supra
I just saw my first Man of Steel Trailer in the theater! Wow, lot better then watching it on youtube. So exited for this movie.

Dolos
And don't get me started on the supposed differences in red- and yellow sunlight, and Kryptonite.

In the Comics this has more to do with the nature of the DCU, the "Godwave", and how it's supernatural nature has effected the cosmic community. Especially earth. However, Krypton is a world unlike any that could exist in the real cosmos. It's citizens possessed the greatest scientific understanding in the DCU yet they couldn't figure out a way to achieve escape velocity which, on that planet, was greater than that which could resist the pull of a neutron star.

It's the star's age, not the color, that transforms Kryptonian atoms as well as everything else from that world.

---

Mindship
The Batman movies are just as unreal as a superman movie. Never in a million years will we have a billionaire playboy running around the city with high tech weapons. Just as unreal? A billionaire playboy as a masked vigilante with high tech weapons is entirely possible (if unlikely for various reasons). Less likely, bordering on unreal: that he can maintain a high degree of athleticism over many, many years. Virtually impossible: an alien that looks so human no one can tell the difference until the alien flexes his muscles, leaps and doesn't come down, or stares at something and it bursts into flames.

Perhaps I should have said: Batman requires far less suspension of disbelief.

Supra
Just as unreal? A billionaire playboy as a masked vigilante with high tech weapons is entirely possible (if unlikely for various reasons). Less likely, bordering on unreal: that he can maintain a high degree of athleticism over many, many years. Virtually impossible: an alien that looks so human no one can tell the difference until the alien flexes his muscles, leaps and doesn't come down, or stares at something and it bursts into flames.

Perhaps I should have said: Batman requires far less suspension of disbelief.

I guess I see it different. I go to see movies to escape the boring aspects of life, work/bills/responsibilities. So for me I don't have a problem trying to believe or not believe movies. They are movies, thats why we have them, they can do the impossible and make it look real.

We I see batman yea it looks cool and all the gadgets and weapons seem more real then say superman. But I really don't compare the two as far as realism..They both are not real and however they are both really cool movies.

Dolos
That's the other thing.

Men are programmed to survive, no matter how many injures a man sustains, broken bones, torn connective tissues, brain damage, damage to retinal tissue and eardrums, lung damage, dislocations, compound fractures, hernias, lacerations, puncture wounds, organ damage, 3rd degree burns, toxins the effect the immune system, psychological damage from chronic physical trauma: anything short of amputation - if he can recover; even if not optimally, he can be in better shape than ever well into his late forties through living in that survival setting. Especially with what kind of surgical and medical care, nutrition, protein supplements, weight equipment, and all types of therapies, treatments and what have you that a billionaire would have access to. Being a physical beast despite years of trauma is so much more realistic than a billionaire putting himself through that....especially considering this isn't a sport, it's mortal combat. No one can come out on top of a life or death fight like an old man with experience, he'll find a way to take you out before you can say ow without even getting physical.

---

-Pr-
Dolos, why is that gif in your post?

Dolos
Dolos, why is that gif in your post?

I was using it as a sig. Couldn't make it a sig because it was 2.6 megabytes.

So I finally got tired of posting it and got a normal sig.

-Pr-
Ah, okay. Thanks.

Rao Kal El
I was using it as a sig. Couldn't make it a sig because it was 2.6 megabytes.

So I finally got tired of posting it and got a normal sig.

Making animated gifs of less than 50 kb at 540 pixels by 150 pixels for a Sig is really tricky.

You need to use like only 5 frames and reduce the color palette at 32 colors. photo gifs will use more memory than drawing gifs

I was actually trying to make this into a sig, but after the color reduction and the frame reduction, it does not looks good.

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu200/biensalsa/GIFS/the-mod_zps075ae18b.gif

If there was a way to paste a gif from a hosting website like photobucket, it might work.

Dolos
Making animated gifs of less than 50 kb at 540 pixels by 150 pixels for a Sig is really tricky.

You need to use like only 5 frames and reduce the color palette at 32 colors. photo gifs will use more memory than drawing gifs

I was actually trying to make this into a sig, but after the color reduction and the frame reduction, it does not looks good.

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu200/biensalsa/GIFS/the-mod_zps075ae18b.gif

If there was a way to paste a gif from a hosting website like photobucket, it might work.

That would have been one badass gif.

I think why Superman landed so rough was because the Kryptonite was effecting his flight. He pretty much dropped from a very fast acceleration into a faster free-fall, losing his super strength his legs still broke the ground before his knees even buckled.

Supra
He should have done a better landing.

Dolos
He should have done a better landing.

It kinda just shows the immense power he has, when he loses control of it and causes collateral damage. That's what I look forward to in Man of Steel during his fights with the Kryptonians.

Supra
I wish we had some previews of that

AmbientFire
That would have been one badass gif.

I think why Superman landed so rough was because the Kryptonite was effecting his flight. He pretty much dropped from a very fast acceleration into a faster free-fall, losing his super strength his legs still broke the ground before his knees even buckled.

I honestly thought he landed that way cuz he was pissed off - sort of an arial version of slamming a glass really hard to make a point.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.