North Korea

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Supra
So is anyone scared over this. Kim Un seem's crazier then his father and I really don't know whats going to happen between them and South Korea with the dismissal of Armistice. As well as their nuclear threats against us. Can we stop a ballistic missile attack against us? I live in San Diego so with all the military here I'm sure we are on the target list. Kinda scary to think it could be over at the blink of an eye.

Omega Vision
Kim Jong Un is only stomping around and making waves to gain the loyalty of the North Korean military and appear strong for his people. He knows that a war with South Korea would be the end of his country. This isn't the first time that the Armistice has been "broken". A true repudiation of the armistice would have been an immediate all-out assault on South Korea. Since that hasn't happened, the armistice is still in place.

I don't think you have to worry about a North Korean missile reaching San Diego. Not now, anyway. In ten years North Korea might be at the point where a strike on the continental US is feasible, but our missile defense capabilities will have improved as well.

Archaeopteryx
I agree with Omega Vision. Having said that we should withdraw all our military forces stationed around the world except those protecting our embassies. It would be a huge savings in our federal budget and force other countries to pay for their own defense.

In the event there was a second Korean war South Korea would be the probable winner even without our help. Despite their military being half the size of North korea's their equipment is far more modern and their troops better trained. Their economy is capable of sustaining a war while NK's isn't. It would be a bloody mess though.

Robtard
Originally posted by Archaeopteryx

In the event there was a second Korean war South Korea would be the probable winner even without our help. Despite their military being half the size of North korea's their equipment is far more modern and their troops better trained. Their economy is capable of sustaining a war while NK's isn't. It would be a bloody mess though.

If it was just N Vs S, yeah, I'd say the same, as long as NK didn't deploy nukes as a last ditch effort.

But in all reality, if there's a second Korean war, China and the US would get involved again, which would probably end in a stalemate with nothing to show for it except lots of dead people.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by Omega Vision
In ten years North Korea might be at the point where a strike on the continental US is feasible.
I highly doubt that.

Omega Vision
China wouldn't go to war with South Korea or America unless if the South was the aggressor. The most likely case would be China deploying troops on their border with North Korea to stem the flow of refugees and to protect against spill over, perhaps even invading North Korea to establish a buffer zone once NK begins to fall.

There is evidence that China really doesn't see North Korea as worth the effort to protect, but that said they probably don't want to see a united Korea because that would create a powerful new rival come 20-30 years.

Supra
Can we stop a nuke from hitting us?

Robtard
Originally posted by Supra
Can we stop a nuke from hitting us?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Missile_defense_systems_of_various_nations#United_
States

Supra
Wow I guess not. That's hard to believe we can't stop them.

Oliver North
Originally posted by Archaeopteryx

maybe

a fast enough attack would hit Seoul before any countermeasure could be organized (even with American troops there, btw), and the sheer numbers would make the North's forces very difficult to deal with.

TheGodKiller
There are barely a handful of nations capable of hitting the US with a nuke strike. Two of those will never do it out of fear of MAD, the rest are America's allies.

So, no need to get the jitters.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
There are barely a handful of nations capable of hitting the US with a nuke strike. Two of those will never do it out of fear of MAD, the rest are America's allies.

So, no need to get the jitters.
Russia is the only country that has a claim to nuclear MAD with America.

China isn't even close to being able to engage in such a standoff and hope to make America blink first. China has a fraction of the warheads America has, and its supply of missiles capable of hitting the US is much smaller, not to mention they're at a massive disadvantage when it comes to nuclear-capable submarines.

Robtard

No, the article should have lead you to believe that you have little to nothing to fear from a NK nuke hitting the US. Maybe (and I heavily emphasize maybe) Hawaii is at risk.

TheGodKiller
Russia is the only country that has a claim to nuclear MAD with America.

China isn't even close to being able to engage in such a standoff and hope to make America blink first. China has a fraction of the warheads America has, and its supply of missiles capable of hitting the US is much smaller, not to mention they're at a massive disadvantage when it comes to nuclear-capable submarines.
Nevermind who has more warheads, if China hit the US with all of its ICBMs(last I heard, the DoD estimated it to be around 20 in 2004), how much damage do you think it would cause?

On a sidenote, Russia definitely is capable of getting into a MAD deadlock with the US.

Robtard
Nevermind who has more warheads, if China hit the US with all of its ICBMs(last I heard, the DoD estimated it to be around 20 in 2004), how much damage do you think it would cause?

On a sidenote, Russia definitely is capable of getting into a MAD deadlock with the US.

They raze maybe 20 cities and/or military bases. Then China's utterly ****ed when the US retaliates at x100.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by Robtard
They raze 20 cities and/or military bases. Then China's utterly ****ed when the US retaliates at x100+.
End result: Both countries get royally phucked up long-term. China'll probably be completely destroyed, and the radioactive fallout/EMPs will plague the US and slowly turn it into holocaust graveyard.

An elephant can stomp me to a bloody pulp, a tiger can maul my ragged carcass to hell. The former is a lot more powerful than the latter and more likely to completely demolish me, but in the end I am screwed in either scenario.

Robtard
Don't know if 20 nukes would take down the US.

TheGodKiller
the radioactive fallout/EMPs will plague the US and slowly turn it into holocaust graveyard.

Omega Vision
EMPs from nukes aren't residual so far as I know, and the whole BS about fallout spreading like a plague is nonsense from 50s movies. The US is a big place, you can't render the entire country uninhabitable with twenty nukes. In fact I doubt you'd even kill a fifth of the population even if you hit the twenty biggest cities, and a Chinese first strike would be aimed at crippling America's ability to retaliate--i.e. many would be aimed at sparsely populated areas in the Midwest where the silos are.

So no, China is well aware that it can't hope to win or even break even against the US in nuclear war, even with a surprise attack.

Robtard
IIRC, the US has done well over 500 nuclear test on US soil. Now this is obviously more controlled than 20 Chinese nukes hitting cities and military sights, but the numbers speak for themselves.

Oliver North
(last I heard, the DoD estimated it to be around 20 in 2004)

China has roughly 240 in their stockpile

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by Oliver North
China has roughly 240 in their stockpile
I was talking about ICBMs only.

TheGodKiller
EMPs from nukes aren't residual so far as I know, and the whole BS about fallout spreading like a plague is nonsense from 50s movies. The US is a big place, you can't render the entire country uninhabitable with twenty nukes. In fact I doubt you'd even kill a fifth of the population even if you hit the twenty biggest cities, and a Chinese first strike would be aimed at crippling America's ability to retaliate--i.e. many would be aimed at sparsely populated areas in the Midwest where the silos are.

So no, China is well aware that it can't hope to win or even break even against the US in nuclear war, even with a surprise attack.
I don't fully agree with the part about the fallout, but the rest is fair enough.

Edit: Just read Rob's post about nuke tests. I guess I might be wrong about the fallout too.

Ascendancy
Most of the US nuke tests were underground. Only a handful were conducted in open air. That said, 20 nukes would not create fallout on the order necessary to destroy the US' ability to sustain the majority of the remaining population. You also have to think about how much of the fallout would be contained due to the geography of certain areas.

Still, wouldn't be a fun day for anyone, except perhaps Brasil.

Anthony Stark
Don't make them Ang Lee, you wouldn't like them when they are Ang Lee.

Robtard
Before the atmospheric ban in November of 1962(didn't take effect until 1963), there where 120 test done not underground and on US soil. The highest being 24 test in 1957.

I googled: http://www.cddc.vt.edu/host/atomic/atmosphr/index.html

Omega Vision
Looks like Supra isn't the only nervous one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21807067

Robtard
Looks like Supra isn't the only nervous one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21807067

Get the feeling that some influential contractors are working with their people in the government in order for billions of US taxpayer dollars to be spent?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Robtard
Get the feeling that some influential contractors are working with their people in the government in order for billions of US taxpayer dollars to be spent?
I think it's probably a little bit of that and a little bit of good old fashioned alarmism mixed with a bit of genuine strategic concern. As unlikely as a North Korean strike on the continental US (or any part of the US) is, no one wants to get caught with their pants down. A nuclear strike on US soil by a country like North Korea would be both more devastating and more embarrassing than Pearl Harbor and 9/11 combined (yeah, that reminds me of Team America as well).

Supra

Thanks for linking that

Darth Truculent
The dictator reminds me of a kid throwing a fit when he doesn't get his way. He says he'll launch a war, but knows that NK would be destroyed in a matter of days.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.