Ushgarak's Silly Life Problems Part 49

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Well, this isn't technically a problem... that I haven't got a job yet is a problem... this is more a situation, but I am worrying more and more about it.

It so happened that last week I received a mail through FriendsReunited (famous UK website that has a database containing every UK school where people can leave their details, sorted by year, on the idea idea you cam use it to check up on old friends... made the makers an absolute fortune, most popular UK website, I think) saying that they are organising a school re-union for my old year that I left seven years ago (on the idea that we were seven years at the school, and now it is sven years on it is time for a re-union)

Now, for those of you who don't know, my old school was a rather high-powered place, over a hundred times over-subscribed for each pupil there (as in for each pupil who gets in there over a hundred are rejected) where everyone was taught by people phD'ed up to the nines with a view to getting the most fabulously fabulous results possible (which they often did, topping the nationwide league table a few times) and moving most of the outgoing students onto high-powered universities (most Oxford and Cambridge) where they then form an Old Boys network that gives you a ton of privileges who then do things like, for example, form this re-union. And play cricket a lot, I think.

Of course, muggins here fell ill and dropped out before he could take advantage of any of that, didn't he?

Anyway, point is, much as I am attracted to the idea to seeing a lot of these people again- it having been seven years and all- I am rather LESS attracted to the prospect of being the least successful person there whilst everyone around me has gone on to become Managing Director of ICI, King of England and a variety of jobs that have made them richer than Bill Gates. And they will ask me what have I been doing, and I will say I have been at home spending most of my time on a Star Wars board. And they will think "Aww, poor guy, 'cos he was ill and everything," and then go on to talk to people that actually exist for them in any real sense.

This is all exaggeration, of course, but the point remains. It is HIGHLY embarrassing to be bottom of the pile no matter if it was my fault or not and I am not sure if I could really take it.

But wait! One mad get out clause remains. The invite specifies that the attendance of partners is encouraged. A-ha! A way to claw back SOME respectability would be to have a girl to go with just to prove I am not Mr. Nerdy useless, 'cos I will lay heavy odds some of those guys have still not gotten near a female.

One problem. No girl.

Well, maybe it doesn;t matter anyway. If none of my friends are going I don't think there is much point me going myself. I ask a couple of my friends who still live locally (including my friend Nigel, the highly-paid Doctor guy who used to need me for his nurse hunts but does them solo now) and asked if they were going. They hadn't heard a thing about it. Of course, now I had told them, of COURSE they wanted to go! They said I should contact everyone else we knew and make sure they went as well.

So... the gig is in September but the deposits have to be in by the end of May. So that gives me a month and a half to find a girl who is willing to, if not actively pretend to be my girlfriend, then to at least give me a veneer of respectability by having turned up with a partner.

Basically, I am going to ask every girl I know. I am handicapped in that I don;t know ANY girls in my own town. The only girls I ever did know around here are those that were in the last two years at my old school (it being boys only until then), and they, of course, are some of the people I am actually trying to impress here.

It doesn't look good. Several girls I am in contact with are willing to do it, but heinously they have gone and decided to be born on the wrong damn continent. So now I am fretting...

BTW, don't tell me not to care what they all think. It won't work, I DO care and that is all there is to it...

Failing all that... Mech, there'll be a ton of wine on table there... get your woman's outfit on...

BackFire349
hmmm... well... thats quite a pickle ush. i dont see why you care really. your an obviously very intelegent guy, and im willing to bet you can talk circles around most of those people, as you tend to do with the people on this board. as for your problem. i have one word.... hookers. smile nah, im joking. but seriously, having a job isnt all its cracked up to be. it can be quite a pain, and if you can get away with living without a job then i say go for it. and as far as the girl situation goes, the only thing i can think of... is ill fly out there to whereever you live, however, you will be the one to dress like a woman, and you can tell everyone you had a sex change and that i am your hunky new man toy. that way i will have an excuse to smack your ass around like we all know i love to do smile

Ushgarak
Neat... though as far as the talking circles is concerned, I am afraid a lot of them were members of the same debating society as me... they mostly have far more brains than I do in any case.

My mother suggested that I ask Edna. I was in hysterics. I went through in my mind what the mail to her would say.

"Hi, Elle. I know we haven't seen each other in 10 months and that the only times we have communicated in the last eight was to yell at each other and for you to say that you never wanted to see me again, and that you have a whole different life now and a boyfriend you are happy with... but I need someone to pretend to be my girlfriend for me so get your butt down here this September. I know you are too busy too reply so I will assume you have said yes and got you a ticket. BTW, you owe me 37 quid. Oh, er, hope everything is going well."

Anyone else got any bright ideas? Else I might as well just send that, now I think about it...

BackFire349
well the simple solution is to just not go.

Ushgarak
Yes, but that would be a failure. Especially as all my friends are going. Basically the gist of it all is that I need to find a girl to go with... or I can't go.

BackFire349
i see... well if its that important to you... maybe you should fly out one of those girls who you mentioned would go with you if it werent for them living on the wrong continent, and take her... or else just get out there and try to meet girls on the street or the library.

Ushgarak
Cross-Atlantic tickets are not cheap, sadly. But maybe I can depend on some sort of girl-fidning miracle...

BackFire349
yeah, the library would be good for you, you're an intelectual type, the girls there probably enjoy a guy who can stimulate the mind as you can. that might be your best bet if its really that important to you

Gundark
Now if that isn't top shelf advice from a horror expert, I don't know what is. Hehehe. Just kidding, BF.... wink

Logically, I cannot possibly help Ush unless I could obtain a reasonable facsimile of a British accent in time.

*Practices "The rain in spain falls mainly on the plain"*

How about borrowing your sister-in-law ?

BackFire349
ohhh, good idea.

GordonSkywalker
What a predicament!

Captain REX
Good thing I don't have to worry about this happening to me for a couple years.... big grin

I'm sure you'll find someone by the time the month of May ends. You seem like a great guy...unless it is all just a ruse to lull us into a false sense of security so you can visit our houses one by one and kill us all... evil face

I'm pressed for time myself. Stupid math and literature junk. I still have 80 problems in the math packet (it could be 280 if I'm wrong) and I have to have read to chapter 7 in the "Adventures of Tom Sawyer" and written about all of the discussion questions up to chapter 7 and all by this Tuesday. Stupid literature and math teachers...

GordonSkywalker
They seem to exist solely to make our lives harder, don't they,Captain Rex?

Tex
Thank God you have me Ush, problem solved:

Paint your face ghost white, draw some green and blue circles around your eyes, color your hair gold, rent some freaky clothes and parade around the place claiming to be an artist extraordinaire!

Naturally your stuffy rich friends will probably want to buy some of your pieces!

You'll be the talk of the evening!

GordonSkywalker
You have to admit that is a radical solution,Ushgarak, and it just might work.

Raz
Not exactly helping your situation but I'm curious - why did you look up these people if you are worried about what to talk about?

Anyway about the girl problem...why a girl? In this modern world why not take a guy (as friends)?

BackFire349
im never going to have to worry about this because i am not planning to attend any reunions of any sort.

Julie
That is quite a dilema........

Ushgarak
Bringing a guy wouldn't create the sense of self-esteem I need. And I am afraid I am far too jaded, passive and old-fashioned for some of these more radical solutions, appreciated though they are...

BackFire349
im telling ya, get your ass to the library if you want chicks. just spew off some of your intelect and they'll be all ove ryou.

Julie
uh I don't know about that, but hey getting out into the world is a start

BackFire349
seriously ,girls in libraries will be all over a mentally stimulating guy like ush.

Julie
aren't people supposed to be quiet in a library? How will they know he's mentally simulating?

BackFire349
well you can talk quietly to them. as long as he doenst start yelling and screaming.

Ushgarak
I MIGHT try the library... there is a big one in Chelmsford. Headquarters for the county

BackFire349
there you go, prime territory for ush smile

Ushgarak
Not that I am promising anything, mind...

Raz, I look up to these people because they are simply worthy of respect.

Julie
good luck....just remember to be a gentleman at all times:-)

Captain REX
You know, I never thought that library thing worked until I broke my arm and worked in my school library. Aside from the fact that I had to get something copied for the girl and the fascinating story of why I had a broken arm ( roll eyes (sarcastic) ), she sat there and talked to me about just stuff. I didn't like her, but it does work... big grin

Dexx
i swear i saw this exact subject in a movie, ush.
The guy ends up good though...i think.

Ushgarak
Was it a wacky American teen/college movie?

Member.
big grin

Corran
I like the idea of Mech dessing up in his woman outfit, take pics too that sort of things always good for a laugh

Raz
So what sort of line are you going to use to entice them?

Corran
Hey baby wanna dance? - I think this would have the desired affect! laughing out loud

Raz
They'll be putty in your hands!

Or possibly a joey-stylee: How YOU doin'? *cheesy grin*

Gundark
The Viceroy went into a local candy store last Friday to pick up some chocolate for the holiday (I had driven through the tiny parking lot three times earlier in the day and had given up) and he was amazed that once he got inside he was the only guy. The place was wall to wall women buying Easter candy. Thus, another possibility for ya, Ush.

*keeps working on British accent*

I say, old boy, how about a spot of tea ?

Raz
Thats a bit too masculine Gunds!

Dexx
hmm....sort of. I think they were kind of 7 years after collegebig grin

mah
well there're few sitcoms WITHOUT this subject

GordonSkywalker
Did our man Ush ever get his problem sorted out?

Corran
Ush get to work on that Cheesy grin, I think Raz is onto something here.

And Gundy, if you keep up with the British accent you'll set Ush off on his Mary 'bloddy' Poppins routine.

Gundark
Yikes !

Maybe I should go back to the rain in spain thingy.

Corran
You did sound closer to Irish than English too.

Gundark
Yes, thats it ! I could be Ush's Irish girlfriend. Would that impress them, I wonder ?

finti
and you would go by the name of Maire Ni Bhraonain

Gundark
Okay. Now what do I wear ? A kilt ?

finti
no that is for the Scots, havent you seen those riverdance girls, so get up on thim tables and dance Maire Ni BhraoGUNDYain

Ushgarak
I thought sitcom was pretty much closer to the mark myself, with this situation. It's like the great Producers in the sky decided my job search wasn;t enegaging enough to pull in viewing figures so this appeared out of nowhere.

I am not sure if it is quite right to ask a girl to dance in a library, is it?

Catch 22
All I'm gonna say here is something that goes against my general rule about not being completely shallow.

But, to outweigh the obvious issues you have about you lack of advancement on the career ladder, try and take a complete hottie!

No fat chicks or birds with beards!!! sick

Ushgarak
I entirely understand where you are coming from, C22... it is the same reason I am not asking Lara. She's a lovely girl but if I bring a 17 year old people will make comments...

Catch 22
Last bastard might be one.... laughing out loud

mechmoggy
*Runs into thread, out of breath and wearing boob tube and hot-pants*

*Pant*.....Sorry...*pant*....I wasn't.....here...*pant*..for you straight away Ush.

Could somebody hold me still while I get these stiletto's on?

Ushgarak
If it's too much effort, Mech, old buddy, you could always get Mrs. Moggy to stand in for you...

Catch 22
Oops, that should have ready Lucky, not last......

Ushgarak
I was going to say, probably plenty more bastards in the world after me... not with Lara, you understand. Just in general. Um...

Catch 22
*Grins*

Well my previous advise stands..... wink

mechmoggy
C22 is right, turning up with a younger babe could be the boost you need. wink

Julie
by "younger babe" I assume mech meant nice young lady:-)

mechmoggy
.....or me dressed as a lady, either way the lads will be jealous as hell! big grin

Julie
wow.....that would be a sight......send pics:-)

Ushgarak
JULIE! And I thought you were such a nice girl...

mechmoggy
The thought of me in hot pants is enough to bring out the animal in anyone. big grin

Julie
I am there's an evil side tooevil face
The viewing of mech in a dress would be purely morbid curiosity...I should know better embarrasment

BackFire349
she can be kinki and nice.

Julie
uh.....what's kinki?

Ushgarak
Best you not know.

If I get away with my girl-finding plan I shall send pics for sure.

mechmoggy
Kinky Jules!

Ushgarak
Or 'Kules' as I shall now call her.

This DEFINITELY should have happened two years earlier so I could have brought Edna.

Julie
poor ush.....(stupidly asks)......WHY do I not want to know what kiny means....can I find it in a dictionary/

mechmoggy
Well mine says, "Mental peculiarity", but its safe to say that most people use the term regarding a sexual deviant.

Still wanna be called Kinky Jules? big grin

Corran
But both would apply to you Mech.

mechmoggy
I ain't denying that. big grin

Corran
You couldn't really, well not without smirking.

mechmoggy
I never smirk....I'll snigger, but never smirk.

Sometimes I let slip a little "tee hee!", but only when I'm being naughty.

Ushgarak
All the time, then...

Well, no luck yet. Zereil is going out with Edna's sister now, though...

BackFire349
well good luck ush, im sure things will work out for ya. should i.......ah what the hell *smcaks ush's ass*

Raz
I'm sure he will appreciate that!

BackFire349
oh you want some too? *smacks raz's ass as well*

Ushgarak
BackSmacker349, more like..

BackFire349
yep, that number at the end of my name is pretty accurate too.

Raz
I'd prefer it if the Gundmeister herself did that devil

Ushgarak
Edna will do me fine...

mechmoggy
But Gundy performs spankings with such panache. wink

Corran
Where's the Queue?

finti
they lining for riverdance

Fire
ofc you care it is only logical that you care what they think
even if ppl tell you different
if you have a few good female friends, they will do it I think... depends how far you want the actively play thing to go....
besides that I wouldn't mind going solo
but you seem to mind.
and depending from which continent flight's can be doable I am going to glasgow in the summer for 64 euro's there and back again
so that's payable

Corran
Slight problem is that Ush's funding is not so fluid, he may not be able to pay for a female to travel.

Fire
I ment for the female
she can pay her self

finti
do you belgians have something in common with the scotish

Corran
Evidently so.

Ushgarak
I know few European girls, none that can actually make it. The ones that I k ow that could IF here live in the US, Canada or New Zealand. They can't afford it.

BackFire349
buy a blow up doll. it wont solve this problem, but hey, might be fun.

Ushgarak
Heck, there are a LOT of things I can be doing for fun...

PADME! Get over here. Mortgage your family if you have to.

Member.
hm...blink

mechmoggy
*Taps foot impatiently, still wearing womens clothing*

What, am I just the last resort then Ush?

Corran
You may even be worse than that.

mechmoggy
Yeah yeah yeah.......if you were wearing your beer goggles, you'd do me. stick out tongue

Corran
Nah don't do people taller than me.

Ushgarak
Ok, I will ask you guys for opinions, as Corran said he thought it was a good idea.

SHOULD I bring Lara if she can make it?

BackFire349
yeah, sure why not.

GordonSkywalker
Yes. Go for it.

Ushgarak
Reason not to is that she will only be 17.

GordonSkywalker
Oh. I see your problem. As long as you go as friends, nobody should say anything...then again I don't know these people you want to impress. Hard decision I suppose.

Ushgarak
Yes indeed.

Let's hear some more thoughts, folks...

PadmeSkywalker
Ush too bad my session in england may not start till the end of this year or the beginning of 2004. I wish I could make it there during the first part of my semester...grr!

Ushgarak
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Ok, I'll take you out to dinner at New Year's instead then.

Any more Lara thoughts?

Member.
hm...young girls like to party=universal

mechmoggy
Most girls of 17 look and act older anyway Ush, so it won't matter.

Ushgarak
Lie about her age, you mean? Hmm...

She's still 16 right now. She will be 17 by then.

Corran
She probably looks about 20 already when done up so she'll look 21 by then.

Ushgarak
Hmmm... bet she won't be able to make it anyway...

mechmoggy
Corran's right Ush, all chicks look older at that age.

And to be quite honest, who cares if she is only 17? The people who'd sneer at the age difference will be the same people wishing their other half was 17 again, I assure you.

Ushgarak
I dunno... I didn't bring anyone to the Leaver's Dinner. I am worried people will say I brought a girl that age 7 years too late.

Frankly I am worried what my parents will think, also.

mechmoggy
As a rule, I tend to do the complete opposite of what my parents deem acceptable.

Its worked out pretty well so far, oh except my lime-green sofa with bright orange carpets....I stand corrected on that one.

Ushgarak
You don't have to live with them though, do you?

mechmoggy
True enough, and I thank the heavens every day for it!

Is Lara willing to..... errrrr...... play the role of girlfriend for this do?

Corran
I think Ush probably hit the nail on the head when he suggested she'll be too busy, otherwise she probably would.

Ushgarak
Just that I'll feel stupid if I rule her out and she COULD have made it, and would have done great.

mechmoggy
Where is she anyway, is it me or has she been missing for ages? confused

Ushgarak
She's not gone; she only called me last week.

It's Easter. She normally comes on whilst at college. She'll be back in May, I think.

Julie
so have you solved your problem yet?

Ushgarak
Errr- no! Got an opinion on the question I asked, Julie?

Raz
So mechs out the question now? big grin

mechmoggy
See Ush, even Raz thinks I'm the best option so far. wink

Ushgarak
Hmm, Mech or Lara...

Arien
take lara if u can, but otherwise try the library and write a not to a girl or something. that's how i got my bf. we hated each other last year, and we just started writing notes this year. about 3 weeks later, he asked me out. we've been together for almost 3 months and its great. get out there and show the girls what they're missing!!!

Ushgarak
(sounds scared)

Leave my house?

GordonSkywalker
It's not as frightening as it sounds Ush. I mean you will have to leave the house to go to this reunion anyway. Give Arien's advice a try or ask Lara. Either way my friend you cannot lose.

Corran
Isn't the reunion at Ush Mansions then?

Ushgarak
Sadly not...

Corran
Then Gordon has a point.

Ushgarak
It's not so mcuh leaving the house it is entering the normal social life of the world; I am not really up to that. Being driven to a re-union of all my friends and back again is a whole different thing.

Corran
but it's OK to go chasing Nurses?

PadmeSkywalker
see Ush I should seduce my professor now into sending me to england my first semester!

PadmeSkywalker
I have a dress that is sitting here and won't be used this year, but it is gorgeous!

Ushgarak
Chasing nurses was with a friend who would introduce me to each. Even so I was terrified.

YES, Padme, you should!

Corran
sounds like a plan

PadmeSkywalker
see then if I came over to England I could wear this lovely article of colthing, we could post a pic of Ush and I together...now I must really contact professor.

Corran
yes you must do so.

Ushgarak
GO! PHONE HIM NOW!

Corran
Don't shout.

Ushgarak
Sorry.

PHONE HIM NOW!

Corran
roll eyes (sarcastic)

PadmeSkywalker
hmm, line busy

Corran
Ush, get off the phone to Padmes professor

Ushgarak
Oh... bottoms...

PadmeSkywalker
Ush, are you secretly in cahoots with my professor so you can get me to England sooner?

Ushgarak
That would be a cool idea, but I am too lazy.

PadmeSkywalker
lol

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>