Does a sig affect how you perceive a poster?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Anthony Stark
For instance if you see a female sig do you think the poster is a girl?

If you see a camp sig, do you think the poster is gay?

If you see a DBZ sig do you think the post is a youngster?

Have you misjudged the sex or sexuality, politics or anything else based on a sig or screen name?

Mindship
It's natural for the "brain to follow the eye" in drawing conclusions about what is being perceived (that's why, for example, you see prices often stated as, say, "$19.99" rather than $20, because most people will focus on the first number rather than the whole thing). When I lapse in being alert, I have made some temporary and harmless assumptions, usually involving gender.

Actually, what I've sometimes wondered about is "frequency of sig change" or lack thereof, correlating with gender, age, interests, etc. Eg: those who like making sigs, will change theirs often.

Anthony Stark
Originally posted by Mindship
It's natural for the "brain to follow the eye" in drawing conclusions about what is being perceived (that's why, for example, you see prices often stated as, say, "$19.99" rather than $20, because most people will focus on the first number rather than the whole thing). When I lapse in being alert, I have made some temporary and harmless assumptions, usually involving gender.

Actually, what I've sometimes wondered about is "frequency of sig change" or lack thereof, correlating with gender, age, interests, etc. Eg: those who like making sigs, will change theirs often.

Do you think therefore that a sig can positively or negatively influence how posters respond to the same post. Could a sig engender prejudice?

focus4chumps
well in the case of mocking your previous gay sig, i think the only reason myself and others were jabbing was because you avoided it like a hot brick. if you had been like "i'm gay" or "j/k" or "trolololo" the sig prejudice would have likely been dropped immediately and cease to deviate future conversations. im sure we've all seen far gayer.

on a side note, i sometimes ponder the inverse of the topic. very often forum members can negatively effect their signatures and av's. for instance if some butthurt dweller has mighty mouse as a sig and is hijacking threads, i think its common for many annoyed parties to develop a strong dislike for that image of mighty mouse.

i can mention a couple of people that really hate optimus prime and tardigrades now smile

Ascendancy
Your prior homoerotic sig along with the inanity of some of your postings definitely worked together to make me look at you sideways. It's the total package and the context that says it all.

Mindship
Originally posted by Anthony Stark
Do you think therefore that a sig can positively or negatively influence how posters respond to the same post. Could a sig engender prejudice? I would imagine there would be some influence, though mostly, I think that if a person does respond with bias, they were bias to begin with...generally speaking.

I think you'd have to look at a pattern of behavior to determine whether someone's response is situational or characterological.

the ninjak
I just wish more posters actually had sigs or avatars.
I'm curious as to why many long term posters never have either.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by Ascendancy
Your prior homoerotic sig along with the inanity of some of your postings definitely worked together to make me look at you sideways. It's the total package and the context that says it all.

i had a homoerotic sig? when was this?

Astner
For instance if you see a female sig do you think the poster is a girl?
No.

If you see a camp sig, do you think the poster is gay?
No.

If you see a DBZ sig do you think the post is a youngster?
No.

Have you misjudged the sex or sexuality, politics or anything else based on a sig or screen name?
I don't know and I don't care.

Lord Lucien
Vegeeeeta...

Vegeeeeta...

Ascendancy
Originally posted by focus4chumps

I was replying to the OP.

Bardock42

He means avatar.

It is one sexy beast.

focus4chumps
he said "prior". dont let that discourage you from learning english though since you're already halfway there.

Supra
Thank you mods for getting rid of this guy, man he was nutz.

Dolos
No but meth does.

Bardock42
he said "prior". dont let that discourage you from learning english though since you're already halfway there.

He already misused sig for avatar, obviously we can't trust anything he says. So, yeah, he's into your avatar /fact

focus4chumps
Originally posted by Supra
Thank you mods for getting rid of this guy, man he was nutz.

they cant get rid of whirly. he has elite hacking skills.

Yurika
Originally posted by Mindship

Nice explanation

juggerman
Yes!

Cool sig = cool poster

Corny sig = corny poster

Juggernaut sig = man who wears helmet irl thumb up

Ascendancy
Who was he anyway? Colossus Big C?

bluehouse

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.